The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1351 of 3137 Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by WR1325 View Post


I think your right, its not really happened much before - although the AX1 was possibly 2 yrs after the A1 and possibly something just before or just after the Z9
Z1 possibly ? and maybe another around the time

i was asking Yamaha about a few things and mentioned about the XLRs not being on the sub outputs and he said the next one will or likely will have them (can't remember exactly)
it was a cost and space issue on the 5000

possibly there could be a new 3040 sometime in spring (maybe) so we should get to see the new range and any news,
but also think its fairly unlikely for a CX-A6000? this yr with the bits they left off the 5000
more and better controlled zones would be good and better graphics and icons and the missing sub XLRs
and half the price smile.gif  

Hmm, don't hold your breath for the half the price part. They haven't done that with their flagship products yet. Indeed, if my memory serves, each one I've purchased has been more expensive than the previous (if you consider that the MX-A5000 + CX-A5000 is the apparent replacement for the RX-Z11).
bwillcox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1352 of 3137 Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

Regarding a successor to the CX-A5000...if they come out with a replacement in less than 4 years time that will be unusual for Yamaha flagship products. Could happen I suppose, but they've not done that in the past in my experience (starting with the DSP-A3090).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

That was when they had true flagship products which were unique designs. Now the A5000 is basically a repackaged A3030, it's no more effort to refresh it once a year than the other models. Among other things they probably want to introduce HDMI 2.0 this year.

HDMI 2.0 requires a refresh to remain competitive. JSmoothie has already indicated that the Marantz AV8801 successor is due out this fall.
Maybe they will add the missing sub-out XLR's.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is offline  
post #1353 of 3137 Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
JPowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I currently have a Yamaha RX-V3900, which I love, but I want to upgrade to an HDMI 1.4 receiver. It appears that the closest match would be the RX-A2020 or RX-A2030. It doesn't seem like there's much difference between the two:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/?selected=464754_384537_&mode=compare

MHL doesn't sound like something I'd use, and I don't care about zone 4 HDMI audio. My RX-V3900 also has Burr-Brown DACs, so I don't know if the ESS DACs in the RX-A2030 would be a noticeable upgrade to me, or if it's an upgrade at all. Is there something else I'm missing, because it doesn't seem like the added cost of the 2030 is worth it to me. What is it that made you choose the "30" vs. the "20" from the previous year? Thanks for your help.
JPowers is offline  
post #1354 of 3137 Old 02-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Member
 
WR1325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V3900, which I love, but I want to upgrade to an HDMI 1.4 receiver. It appears that the closest match would be the RX-A2020 or RX-A2030. It doesn't seem like there's much difference between the two:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/?selected=464754_384537_&mode=compare

MHL doesn't sound like something I'd use, and I don't care about zone 4 HDMI audio. My RX-V3900 also has Burr-Brown DACs, so I don't know if the ESS DACs in the RX-A2030 would be a noticeable upgrade to me, or if it's an upgrade at all. Is there something else I'm missing, because it doesn't seem like the added cost of the 2030 is worth it to me. What is it that made you choose the "30" vs. the "20" from the previous year? Thanks for your help.

 

Get the best you can stretch to, as it will also then usually last longer without having to upgrade again anytime soon

 

Possibly the 2030 is the nr equivalent to the 3900, but the next model up will usually always sound fuller and sweeter than the lower model, especially if very nr the top of the range

and will usually also mean less faffing around to make it sound really nice

 

if there is a 3040 on its way then the 3020, whats left of the them and the 3030 should be discounted alittle more, soon-ish, although the 3020s still seem to hold its prices quite well for now, but won't so much if the 3040 appears

 

there are some nice 2nd hand bargains appearing on ebay and the other forums for all the Aventage 1-3 series

and presumably most will still last at least 5-10yrs

 

see if you can find a shop that still has the 3020 and the 3030 and the 2020/2030, if possible and have a listen

WR1325 is offline  
post #1355 of 3137 Old 02-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Member
 
dm465531's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Got my CXA-5000 today and it is a beast. I am replacing a marantz AV7005. Really glad I made the switch. I mainly watch movies and wanted something for that. I am using a XPA-5 to drive B&W CT LCR7.3 for the fronts and B&W CWM 664 for the surrounds.
dm465531 is offline  
post #1356 of 3137 Old 02-05-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad Varnadore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anybody know if the inactive HDMI ports can be turned off in some form of input setup menu in the 3030, like you can with the Denon's I've previously owned?

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
***************

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chad Varnadore is offline  
post #1357 of 3137 Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ross Ridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
If you're asking if you can have it so that unused inputs don't show up when you turn the front panel input selector, then no, you can't do this with Yamaha receivers.
Ross Ridge is offline  
post #1358 of 3137 Old 02-05-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

That was when they had true flagship products which were unique designs. Now the A5000 is basically a repackaged A3030, it's no more effort to refresh it once a year than the other models. Among other things they probably want to introduce HDMI 2.0 this year.

and especially when they have been refreshing the whole Adventage line every year for the past 3 years...


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1359 of 3137 Old 02-05-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post


HDMI 2.0 requires a refresh to remain competitive. JSmoothie has already indicated that the Marantz AV8801 successor is due out this fall.
Maybe they will add the missing sub-out XLR's.

- Rich

Marantz 8801 has been out a season longer than the Yamaha though

if the others are going with 2 year refresh rates...its time for the Marantz 8801 and the Onkyo 5509 to refreshed with new models


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1360 of 3137 Old 02-05-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

Hmm, don't hold your breath for the half the price part. .

I guess you didnt make it to the magnolia home theater clearance in late December

they were selling XX20 models for about 1/3 of retail



Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1361 of 3137 Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Member
 
nsiret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the CX-A5000 has a sound mode that will play the 2 fronts plus a sub for music?

Thanks,

Nick
nsiret is online now  
post #1362 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
liltalkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Coral Springs,FL, USA
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiret View Post

Does anyone know if the CX-A5000 has a sound mode that will play the 2 fronts plus a sub for music?

Thanks,

Nick

It has a "double bass" option that will send the bass signal of your mains to the sub. Though you cannot control the crossover of that signal.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
liltalkm is online now  
post #1363 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jima4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 1,487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiret View Post

Does anyone know if the CX-A5000 has a sound mode that will play the 2 fronts plus a sub for music?

Thanks,

Nick
Would not "Stereo" accomplish that with the fronts crossed over?

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
jima4a is offline  
post #1364 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kriktsemaj99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 5,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiret View Post

Does anyone know if the CX-A5000 has a sound mode that will play the 2 fronts plus a sub for music?

With front speakers set as SMALL it will use the sub for music in any sound mode, and STEREO will use only two fronts plus sub. If you sometimes want to switch the fronts from SMALL to LARGE, you can store two different setups as "speaker patterns", then switch from one pattern to the other.
kriktsemaj99 is online now  
post #1365 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 06:04 AM
Member
 
jcm2128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

I guess you didnt make it to the magnolia home theater clearance in late December

they were selling XX20 models for about 1/3 of retail



Warren

I've seen this statement a few times now. Just for reference, the Best Buy clearance prices vary considerably by region and store. Even in January, I never saw the 3020 below $1,300 anywhere within 50 miles of where I live... I did see one for $1,334 last month (open box).
jcm2128 is offline  
post #1366 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Member
 
nsiret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to all for the responses.

I will be setting my fronts to small so the STEREO mode will work for me.

Just ordered the CX-A5000. Should be delivered next week.
nsiret is online now  
post #1367 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad Varnadore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

If you're asking if you can have it so that unused inputs don't show up when you turn the front panel input selector, then no, you can't do this with Yamaha receivers.

Thanks. I was just thinking that disabling unused HDMI inputs might help with handshake issues, as I believe our projector is pretty finicky, which is one reason I'm looking to upgrade from our Denon. It probably wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2128 View Post

I've seen this statement a few times now. Just for reference, the Best Buy clearance prices vary considerably by region and store. Even in January, I never saw the 3020 below $1,300 anywhere within 50 miles of where I live... I did see one for $1,334 last month (open box).

At our nearest Magnolia, I was told they don't even carry anything above the 2010/2020/2030 series. The 30's are supposedly too high-end to stock - reserved for special order only. Sounds like other stores are different, unless BB allows returns of special order items. Regardless, I doubt they had much stock of the 2020's to clear out here either.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
***************

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chad Varnadore is offline  
post #1368 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2128 View Post

I've seen this statement a few times now. Just for reference, the Best Buy clearance prices vary considerably by region and store. Even in January, I never saw the 3020 below $1,300 anywhere within 50 miles of where I live... I did see one for $1,334 last month (open box).

I will tell you in Texas( Dallas and Houston), Illinois(Chicago, Springfield), and Florida(Miami) ...they were $799( new in box) clearance and low $600's open box( depending on completeness of the accessories)

Not sure where you are but....what I would have done

have someone that actually got one send you a picture of their receipt and take it to the store where you saw inventory

I have for one have never seen the regional prices vary "considerably"

The store can look and see what other stores have sold the same item for..

$1334 for an A3020 would not be a great price at all now...considering you can get a A3030( in a sealed box) for just a little more than that


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1369 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
liltalkm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Coral Springs,FL, USA
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Video review of the CX-A5000 and MX-A5000 from Audioholics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsWB0SrXwKs

more of a preview...
WR1325 likes this.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
liltalkm is online now  
post #1370 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post


At our nearest Magnolia, I was told they don't even carry anything above the 2010/2020/2030 series. The 30's are supposedly too high-end to stock - reserved for special order only. Sounds like other stores are different, unless BB allows returns of special order items. Regardless, I doubt they had much stock of the 2020's to clear out here either.

The Magnolia home theaters that have two sound rooms typically have the A30XX series
They definitely had the A3000, A3010 and A3020

I think it all depends on the store and what they think will sell

I saw a store recently that had the lower end Marantz separates

They will allow you to return a special order item...however there might be a restocking fee

There were a few A2020s and Pioneer Sc67's..last month in both Florida and Illinois

Though as you can imagine at 1/3 of retail they were going in days

From what I could see...they did a markdown about 12/27 to those prices. I am sure that meant remaining inventory was pretty much gone in 2-3 weeks

I got an Pioneer Sc67( new in box) as well as A820( open box)

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1371 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

I guess you didnt make it to the magnolia home theater clearance in late December

they were selling XX20 models for about 1/3 of retail



Warren

No, I didn't (though I did take advantage of the RX-Z11 fire sale some years ago). However, this was a fire sale, not a new product launch. I was responding to the suggestion that a new CX-A6000 might be released next year for half the price of this year's CX-A5000. That would really surprise me.
bwillcox is offline  
post #1372 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Member
 
jcm2128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

The Magnolia home theaters that have two sound rooms typically have the A30XX series
They definitely had the A3000, A3010 and A3020

I think it all depends on the store and what they think will sell

I saw a store recently that had the lower end Marantz separates

They will allow you to return a special order item...however there might be a restocking fee

There were a few A2020s and Pioneer Sc67's..last month in both Florida and Illinois

Though as you can imagine at 1/3 of retail they were going in days

From what I could see...they did a markdown about 12/27 to those prices. I am sure that meant remaining inventory was pretty much gone in 2-3 weeks

I got an Pioneer Sc67( new in box) as well as A820( open box)

Warren

Warren,

All of this info is available online at the Best Buy site.... Even now, the 2020 open box is still $731 near Boston (actually all the way up to Salem, NH to find one). The regional prices do vary quite a bit. I recall finding a Maranz SR7005 on clearance for $999 a few years ago, but the same model was selling for a few hundred less in N.J. per someone on this forum. Best Buy typically will not price match open box or clearance (actually this is part of their price match policy I believe)... not sure if they would price match clearance between stores.

It won't let me post a link, for those who are interested, for the online clearance/open box:

Go to the Best Buy site, select store location, choose a store, select "OPEN BOX & CLEARANCE", shop this store (or range of stores up to 248 miles up so can be chosen). Not that I would drive 248 miles for a deal... perhaps 50 or so, maybe more for something stellar.

Not sure this is worth debating, my point was I was looking for deal in December and January on a 3020, and the best I saw was $1334 (so the 1/3 prices might not have been an option for a lot of people). I purchased a new 3030 from AVS Science for a great price and am satisfied with the unit (except for some limitations playing music via USB).
jcm2128 is offline  
post #1373 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2128 View Post

Warren,

All of this info is available online at the Best Buy site.... Even now, the 2020 open box is still $731 near Boston (actually all the way up to Salem, NH to find one). The regional prices do vary quite a bit. I recall finding a Maranz SR7005 on clearance for $999 a few years ago, but the same model was selling for a few hundred less in N.J. per someone on this forum. Best Buy typically will not price match open box or clearance (actually this is part of their price match policy I believe)... not sure if they would price match clearance between stores.

It won't let me post a link, for those who are interested, for the online clearance/open box:

Go to the Best Buy site, select store location, choose a store, select "OPEN BOX & CLEARANCE", shop this store (or range of stores up to 248 miles up so can be chosen). Not that I would drive 248 miles for a deal... perhaps 50 or so, maybe more for something stellar.

Not sure this is worth debating, my point was I was looking for deal in December and January on a 3020, and the best I saw was $1334 (so the 1/3 prices might not have been an option for a lot of people). I purchased a new 3030 from AVS Science for a great price and am satisfied with the unit (except for some limitations playing music via USB).

as I said...if you were interested in a unit that was local and could verify it was actually there...

I would talk to a magnolia sales person( or the store manager) and have them look up what other stores have sold them for...helps if you have the store number that sold the unit

Here is another trick......Call the store that physically has it and get a name. Go to your local store and have them call the store that has inventory and do a transfer. I just did this with an SC67 that they transferred from a store in Miami to my local store

Another thing to look for.....is do they REALLY have the unit there?

I have seen open box inventory( online) that is not in the store...but for some reason shows up online. As you can imagine when they did the markdowns in late December( on top of the 10% off coupon)..I was scouring a tri-state area looking for unit.....I lucked out but I would say 1/3 of what I saw that stated "1 item only" or open box was not really in the store

They must have some type of system that is triggered in the store to do markdowns ..if they actually have the physical item there

Otherwise...not so much

Again..maybe not worth the time for. I would not drive 240 miles for a unit
but again...I have never had as I have bought a few units for 65-75% retail that I picked in local markets

Last year..I bought an A2010 for $499( open box with all accessories)

I really change out AVR's out too much to pay anywhere close to retail price


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #1374 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Mad Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Land of 10,000 Taxes!
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiret View Post

Thanks to all for the responses.

I will be setting my fronts to small so the STEREO mode will work for me.

Just ordered the CX-A5000. Should be delivered next week.
Setting your fronts to 'small' isn't necessary for the STEREO mode to work.
All you need to do is set the source input you want to use with this (CD player or whatever) to 'STEREO', and also make sure your front speakers are set to 'small' and have a crossover (to the sub) indicated for them in the menu.
Then you'll get stereo music from that source to your front speakers while also engaging the sub...

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
Mad Norseman is offline  
post #1375 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 10:19 AM
Member
 
nsiret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Setting your fronts to 'small' isn't necessary for the STEREO mode to work.
All you need to do is set the source input you want to use with this (CD player or whatever) to 'STEREO', and also make sure your front speakers are set to 'small' and have a crossover (to the sub) indicated for them in the menu.
Then you'll get stereo music from that source to your front speakers while also engaging the sub


Mad Norseman,
Thanks. That would work except for Apple TV where I may be watching a movie or listening to music. I don't want the source to default to STEREO. Unless I am missing something!
nsiret is online now  
post #1376 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad Varnadore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2128 View Post

Warren,

All of this info is available online at the Best Buy site.... Even now, the 2020 open box is still $731 near Boston (actually all the way up to Salem, NH to find one). The regional prices do vary quite a bit. I recall finding a Maranz SR7005 on clearance for $999 a few years ago, but the same model was selling for a few hundred less in N.J. per someone on this forum. Best Buy typically will not price match open box or clearance (actually this is part of their price match policy I believe)... not sure if they would price match clearance between stores.

It won't let me post a link, for those who are interested, for the online clearance/open box:

Go to the Best Buy site, select store location, choose a store, select "OPEN BOX & CLEARANCE", shop this store (or range of stores up to 248 miles up so can be chosen). Not that I would drive 248 miles for a deal... perhaps 50 or so, maybe more for something stellar.

Not sure this is worth debating, my point was I was looking for deal in December and January on a 3020, and the best I saw was $1334 (so the 1/3 prices might not have been an option for a lot of people). I purchased a new 3030 from AVS Science for a great price and am satisfied with the unit (except for some limitations playing music via USB).

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked their eight nearest stores, all within an hour to an hour and a half drive (one way), still no dice on the upper end Yamahas. Though, from the prices I was seeing on most other open-box items, I wasn't very encouraged. Maybe they can price items lower in the store than what they're allowed to show online, as nothing I saw was even 1/3 off, much less 1/3 retail, though I have no reason to doubt anyone who said they saw it for that either. Not all prices were shown; some said you had to check the specific store for details. But looking at the discounting that was actually shown on other stuff listed, some of which I've seen sell for less new, I wouldn't gamble a couple hours worth of gas and time on the trip.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
***************

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chad Varnadore is offline  
post #1377 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad Varnadore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Coincidentally. Yamaha just responded to my query about any differences between the 3020 and 3030, with specific respect to any improvements they may have made to YPAO. Here's a copy-and-paste of their response for those who might be interested:
Quote:
Thanks for your email. The RX-A3030 and RX-A3020 are almost identical, with just a couple of differences:

-The 3030 has virtual rear presence, which enhances the effect of the various DSP modes included in the receiver -The 3030 has an upgraded DAC, moving from a 24-bit Burr Brown in the 3020, to a 32-bit ESS in the 3030. This will improve the quality of your digital audio sources.
-We added an MHL port on the 3030. MHL is basically a powered HDMI port that is used on certain mobile devices.

Outside of this, the two receivers are exactly the same.

I deliberately emailed the question instead of calling, as in the past I've found that emails get more qualified/expert responses from manufacturers than what their basic phone support is usually qualified to relay. I'm not sure that's the case this time, since they didn't also include the fact that the 3020 used HQV video processing and the 3030 uses their own proprietary solution - which seems to be somewhat inferior. Though, I made mention of the video processing in my question, so maybe they just figured I already knew that. Anyway, there appears to be no reason to assume YPAO may have been improved between these generations, unlike the 3010 to 3020.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
***************

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chad Varnadore is offline  
post #1378 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Member
 
wonka1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In terms of connecting an oppo 103D to a 3030, I would imagine that HDMI for movies, with the oppo set to bitstream would be the best setting. However if connecting for use as a CD player, what are the optimal settings.

1. Would you set the 2 channel playback option in the oppo to mpeg and send the signal to the yamaha 3030 via HDMI?
2. Would you set the 2 channel playback option in the oppo to bitsream and send the signal to yamaha 3030 via HDMI?
3. Would you set the 2 channel playback option in the oppo to mpeg and connect to the 3030 via analogue.

On another note, the oppo dealer I am getting my 103d from claims that my audio for movies will improve via HDMI (via bitstream) when compared to to panasonic 835 blu ray recorder. I always thought that the audio (for films) is not influenced by the source when set to bitstream (ie the yamaha receiver is doing the decoding)
wonka1 is offline  
post #1379 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka1 View Post

In terms of connecting an oppo 103D to a 3030, I would imagine that HDMI for movies, with the oppo set to bitstream would be the best setting. However if connecting for use as a CD player, what are the optimal settings.

1. Would you set the 2 channel playback option in the oppo to mpeg and send the signal to the yamaha 3030 via HDMI?
2. Would you set the 2 channel playback option in the oppo to bitsream and send the signal to yamaha 3030 via HDMI?
3. Would you set the 2 channel playback option in the oppo to mpeg and connect to the 3030 via analogue.

On another note, the oppo dealer I am getting my 103d from claims that my audio for movies will improve via HDMI (via bitstream) when compared to to panasonic 835 blu ray recorder. I always thought that the audio (for films) is not influenced by the source when set to bitstream (ie the yamaha receiver is doing the decoding)

Well, much of this is personal opinion and very subjective. With my systems I always connect my 103s to my Yamaha AVRs via HDMI and use either bitstream or PCM (I don't think it really matters where the conversion gets done) since I usually run all 11.2 channels in my systems via one of the DSP modes (I'm a multi-channel fan smile.gif ) which requires PCM. If I want to listen to a 2 chanel CD or SACD without any DSP effects, then I use my Sony SCD-1 connected via XLR inputs to my CX-A5000 in Pure Direct mode (I enjoy this as well).

As for the audio sounding better from your 103d vs your Pansonic 835 via HDMI, I'd say that your dealer is suffering from delusional thinking. smile.gif
bwillcox is offline  
post #1380 of 3137 Old 02-06-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonka1 View Post

In terms of connecting an oppo 103D to a 3030, I would imagine that HDMI for movies, with the oppo set to bitstream would be the best setting. However if connecting for use as a CD player, what are the optimal settings.

1. Would you set the 2 channel playback option in the oppo to mpeg and send the signal to the yamaha 3030 via HDMI?
2. Would you set the 2 channel playback option in the oppo to bitsream and send the signal to yamaha 3030 via HDMI?
3. Would you set the 2 channel playback option in the oppo to mpeg and connect to the 3030 via analogue.

On another note, the oppo dealer I am getting my 103d from claims that my audio for movies will improve via HDMI (via bitstream) when compared to to panasonic 835 blu ray recorder. I always thought that the audio (for films) is not influenced by the source when set to bitstream (ie the yamaha receiver is doing the decoding)

1. MP3's are decoded into LPCM before transmission.

2. They may sound the same. Oppo recommends bistream in the manual:
Quote:
Bitstream – Digital audio output via HDMI will be in bitstream format. This option is
recommended when connecting the HDMI output to an A/V receiver or processor that
supports advanced audio decoding, such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

3. Personal preference, try both and pick your favorite.

- Rich
wonka1 likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Rxa2030bl by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off