The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 3308 Old 02-06-2014, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by WR1325 View Post

Get the best you can stretch to, as it will also then usually last longer without having to upgrade again anytime soon

Possibly the 2030 is the nr equivalent to the 3900, but the next model up will usually always sound fuller and sweeter than the lower model, especially if very nr the top of the range
and will usually also mean less faffing around to make it sound really nice

if there is a 3040 on its way then the 3020, whats left of the them and the 3030 should be discounted alittle more, soon-ish, although the 3020s still seem to hold its prices quite well for now, but won't so much if the 3040 appears

there are some nice 2nd hand bargains appearing on ebay and the other forums for all the Aventage 1-3 series
and presumably most will still last at least 5-10yrs

see if you can find a shop that still has the 3020 and the 3030 and the 2020/2030, if possible and have a listen

Thank you for the response. I definitely don't want to buy used, so right now I'm just trying to find out what made people in this forum choose the "30" over the previous generation "20." I know it's more current and should be more future proof, but neither are HDMI 2.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 3308 Old 02-06-2014, 07:38 PM

Liked: 10
I recently bought the CXA-5000 and I was wondering if y'all had any input on setting up in wall speakers with variable crossovers and running YPAO? Is it better to leave them on high or low? The speakers in question are the B&W CWM664's. Thanks in advance.

Dave

System
Yamaha CXA-5000
Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-103
Epson ProCinema 6020UB
Elite Screens 92"
Apple TV
B&W CT 7.3LCR x 3
B&W CWM 664 x 2
Definitive Tech Supercube II
post #1383 of 3308 Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

Thank you for the response. I definitely don't want to buy used, so right now I'm just trying to find out what made people in this forum choose the "30" over the previous generation "20." I know it's more current and should be more future proof, but neither are HDMI 2.0.
The 2013 top end models use ess dac's instead of burr-brown. http://www.esstech.com/?p=products_DAC
post #1384 of 3308 Old 02-07-2014, 06:28 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

sure i was being quite general

the higher model always sound better with nr all manufacturers, with better components used on the higher models especially Yamaha, and is part of Yamaha’s appeal as its usually always the case

i think most know this from prior purchases and listening tests

and we all get what we pay for, hifi is unfortunately no different

With amps or systems its not all about Dacs the preamp especially and also the power amp sections are equally if not slightly more important and have a significant effect on the final sound rather than Dacs alone,

The 3020/3020 plus their few extra features including the extra DSP sound fields (which have better control on the higher models) will usually always be and sound better than the 2020/2030 or next model down etc

the easiest way to get all this is to just buy the flagship - but if not the next model down and as a general rule if you want very good sound never buy more than the 2nd inline from the top of the range, as they are never quite as good a few models down

the 2 different Dacs in the 3020 and 3030 are likely to sound slightly different, but how different is nr impossible to say without actually hearing both in the same set up

but i have heard similar scenarios between high end Dacs and from the same manufacturer and the difference was there, but if the rest of the system is not upto the job then it can be negligible

my best advice would be to forget the 2020/2030 and either buy the 3020 or 3030, depending on price, a listening test and depends what kind of system it will be used with and in the future

or just buy the CX-A5000, which is what i've decided on over the others

for many reasons, but as i already have a couple of previous flagships that still sound very good

its a fully active system with various power amps, so sounds alittle better than normal but never the less the sound has to be significantly better with an upgrade - especially when its flagship money, otherwise its just wasted cash just for HD sound (which will hardly be used) and prettier looks even though new models are very appealing

you mentioned your 3900 still sounds good - so it would be annoying to buy the 2020/2030 and find its not much better sound wise than you have already

plus the reviews of the 3020 and 3030 are very good from nr everywhere so seem worth the extra money

sorry the post is a bit rushed - but hope you get the points i'm trying to make

buy the best you can, the extra enjoyment is worth it

post #1385 of 3308 Old 02-07-2014, 11:23 AM

Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by talos13 View Post

I recently bought the CXA-5000 and I was wondering if y'all had any input on setting up in wall speakers with variable crossovers and running YPAO? Is it better to leave them on high or low? The speakers in question are the B&W CWM664's. Thanks in advance.

Dave
Best not to use 'in-wall', or 'in-ceiling' anything - too many sonic compromises involved.
Better to wall mount your speakers if you haven't 'pulled the trigger' yet on those B&Ws?

But for any surround speakers, try to put the tweeters at ear height or even higher and then angled down pointing toward the listeners...

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #1386 of 3308 Old 02-07-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

I'm currently debating between a 3020 and 3030 myself. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I posted Yamaha's response about the differences between the two a page back, but I think the person who responded was just reading from a script so to speak, not actually responding from any kind of experience or genuine expertise on the engineering between the two, based on that and a follow up email. Regardless, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much to justify favoring this over last gen, as there is in deciding between the 2030 and 3030, or the 2020 and 3020 of the previous year.

For me, it comes down to the following:

-Price - the 3020 being cheaper, at the few authorized dealers that still have them, but only slightly, unless you're comparing to the 3030's MAP.
-Audio - the 3030 potentially having an edge due to it's higher bit depth ESS DACs, though I don't expect such to amount to anything audible to me, especially coming from a completely different make AVR
-Video - the 3020 having HQV, which is better regarded, but may prove inconsequential as well for the majority
-any unknown hardware tweaking that Yamaha may have made between the two generations, as well as firmware revisions that may or may not have been applied to the 3020 - of course on that same note, one has to question whether or not they cut any corners between the two generations, other than opting for their own proprietary deinterlacing/scaling, which may have more to do with HQV than Yamaha cutting corners, as other manufacturers, like Onkyo have recently dropped HQV as well. I think FilmMixer said the chip had been discontinued, which is very disappointing.

It's still a coin toss. I'm in favor of the 3020 for HQV, but I'm still leaning toward the 3030 overall, just because it's newer, basically for the unknown, which there probably isn't anything to that. But the best price I've found on the 3020 (new from an authorized dealer) is only a hundred bucks less than the 3030 (also new and authorized). If the price gap was as wide as others have reported, like the end of the year sales from BB, my choice would be made. Though, I half figure as soon as I buy one, Yamaha will make a surprise announcement for a 3040 with Audyssey XT32.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #1387 of 3308 Old 02-09-2014, 03:43 AM

Liked: 10

Hi Everybody,

I have a quick favour to ask - I managed to lose the plastic 3 position YPAO microphone holder for angle measurement. I cant order a new one anywhere, so decided I need to "make" one myself. Can somebody please measure-up theirs and provide me with the distances between positions, and the distance of a position to the "center" of the holder?

This would be very much appriciated!

Many thanks,

Jasper

post #1388 of 3308 Old 02-09-2014, 06:47 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

The 2013 top end models use ess dac's instead of burr-brown. http://www.esstech.com/?p=products_DAC

I mentioned that in my first post, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to detect the difference, or if anyone could in a blind listening test.

Quote:

sure i was being quite general
the higher model always sound better with nr all manufacturers, with better components used on the higher models especially Yamaha, and is part of Yamaha’s appeal as its usually always the case
i think most know this from prior purchases and listening tests
and we all get what we pay for, hifi is unfortunately no different

With amps or systems its not all about Dacs the preamp especially and also the power amp sections are equally if not slightly more important and have a significant effect on the final sound rather than Dacs alone,

The 3020/3020 plus their few extra features including the extra DSP sound fields (which have better control on the higher models) will usually always be and sound better than the 2020/2030 or next model down etc
the easiest way to get all this is to just buy the flagship - but if not the next model down and as a general rule if you want very good sound never buy more than the 2nd inline from the top of the range, as they are never quite as good a few models down

the 2 different Dacs in the 3020 and 3030 are likely to sound slightly different, but how different is nr impossible to say without actually hearing both in the same set up
but i have heard similar scenarios between high end Dacs and from the same manufacturer and the difference was there, but if the rest of the system is not upto the job then it can be negligible

my best advice would be to forget the 2020/2030 and either buy the 3020 or 3030, depending on price, a listening test and depends what kind of system it will be used with and in the future
or just buy the CX-A5000, which is what i've decided on over the others
for many reasons, but as i already have a couple of previous flagships that still sound very good
its a fully active system with various power amps, so sounds alittle better than normal but never the less the sound has to be significantly better with an upgrade - especially when its flagship money, otherwise its just wasted cash just for HD sound (which will hardly be used) and prettier looks even though new models are very appealing

you mentioned your 3900 still sounds good - so it would be annoying to buy the 2020/2030 and find its not much better sound wise than you have already
plus the reviews of the 3020 and 3030 are very good from nr everywhere so seem worth the extra money

sorry the post is a bit rushed - but hope you get the points i'm trying to make
buy the best you can, the extra enjoyment is worth it

I missed the deal on a 2020 I was looking at, so I guess I'll have to be patient and see if I can find a deal on a 3020, or even a 3030 if Yamaha releases a 3040 this year. The CX-A5000 is way more than I'm willing to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

I'm currently debating between a 3020 and 3030 myself. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I posted Yamaha's response about the differences between the two a page back, but I think the person who responded was just reading from a script so to speak, not actually responding from any kind of experience or genuine expertise on the engineering between the two, based on that and a follow up email. Regardless, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much to justify favoring this over last gen, as there is in deciding between the 2030 and 3030, or the 2020 and 3020 of the previous year.

For me, it comes down to the following:

-Price - the 3020 being cheaper, at the few authorized dealers that still have them, but only slightly, unless you're comparing to the 3030's MAP.
-Audio - the 3030 potentially having an edge due to it's higher bit depth ESS DACs, though I don't expect such to amount to anything audible to me, especially coming from a completely different make AVR
-Video - the 3020 having HQV, which is better regarded, but may prove inconsequential as well for the majority
-any unknown hardware tweaking that Yamaha may have made between the two generations, as well as firmware revisions that may or may not have been applied to the 3020 - of course on that same note, one has to question whether or not they cut any corners between the two generations, other than opting for their own proprietary deinterlacing/scaling, which may have more to do with HQV than Yamaha cutting corners, as other manufacturers, like Onkyo have recently dropped HQV as well. I think FilmMixer said the chip had been discontinued, which is very disappointing.

It's still a coin toss. I'm in favor of the 3020 for HQV, but I'm still leaning toward the 3030 overall, just because it's newer, basically for the unknown, which there probably isn't anything to that. But the best price I've found on the 3020 (new from an authorized dealer) is only a hundred bucks less than the 3030 (also new and authorized). If the price gap was as wide as others have reported, like the end of the year sales from BB, my choice would be made. Though, I half figure as soon as I buy one, Yamaha will make a surprise announcement for a 3040 with Audyssey XT32.

Yamaha only has YPAO, so don't expect Audyssey at any time in the future. I haven't seen review of the Yamaha video processing, but I don't think that matters for people who have good video processing in their Blu-ray players.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #1389 of 3308 Old 02-09-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Yamaha has its own YPAO. Waiting for Yamaha using audyssey is like waiting Denon to use YPAO. biggrin.gif

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #1390 of 3308 Old 02-09-2014, 08:02 PM

So I'm looking at the 1030 and 2030. While the extra power would be nice. I can't see paying an extra $500 unless someone here can give me a really compelling reason. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
post #1391 of 3308 Old 02-09-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftboomer View Post

So I'm looking at the 1030 and 2030. While the extra power would be nice. I can't see paying an extra $500 unless someone here can give me a really compelling reason. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking at the 2030 which I chose over the 1030 for the slightly higher power rating (I have ADS 1290 4-ohm speakers which crave power). Also 9.2 vs. 7.2, but that wasn't as important to me. But I am strongly considering the RX-A3020, last years top model, as it is prices the same as the 2030. Maybe you should compare last years RX-A2020 to this years RX-A1030.
post #1392 of 3308 Old 02-09-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

I mentioned that in my first post, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to detect the difference, or if anyone could in a blind listening test.
I missed the deal on a 2020 I was looking at, so I guess I'll have to be patient and see if I can find a deal on a 3020, or even a 3030 if Yamaha releases a 3040 this year. The CX-A5000 is way more than I'm willing to spend.
Yamaha only has YPAO, so don't expect Audyssey at any time in the future. I haven't seen review of the Yamaha video processing, but I don't think that matters for people who have good video processing in their Blu-ray players.

Oh, I wasn't implying I thought it would happen, more that that would be my luck. If Yamaha switched to Audyssey, I wouldn't be having near as hard a time picking a horse, as I have every confidence in Audyssey already, but I'm more keen on trying Yamaha's sound than anybody elses at the moment.

I've seen a couple reviews on Yamaha's video processing. The consensus wasn't negative, but it wasn't exactly glowing either. It sounds like it does the essentialls well enough, but David commented that it rolls off chroma (except in direct mode) and doesn't do 2:2, I believe. The biggest downside would likely be the loss of the noise filters that last years HQV models featured - the video section of the 3030/2030 manual was heavily snipped compared to that for the 3020. Not a deal breaker for those with similar quality processing in their players - at least not for BD/dvd sources - but it would be more useful for those who watch a lot of badly compressed souces, like broadcast (beit OTA, satellite, or cable) and streaming. And I suspect it would be appreciable for those of us with PS3s who do a fair amount of gaming as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Yamaha has its own YPAO. Waiting for Yamaha using audyssey is like waiting Denon to use YPAO. biggrin.gif

Not exactly, since YPAO is proprietary and Audyssey is made to be incorporated by independent manufacturers in their products. If Yamaha had a history or policy of only using proprietary processing, then maybe, but that's not the case. That said, I hightly doubt it will happen either. Like I said, I was just making a joke. I suspect Yamaha is like every other manufacturer who opts for developing their own solution rather than paying extra for somebody elses work: they'll stubbornly tweak it as much as they can, long before abandoning their own brand, on the calculated assumption that any lost sales would be negligible, figuring that the majority of their customers won't know the difference or won't care. Even though this forum sometimes seems to suggest that Audyssey may have more brand loyalty than Yamaha does themselves.

I'm not knocking YPAO. I haven't tried it yet, and have heard enough relatively positive things that I've moved Yamaha to the top of my short list, but it's more despite YPAO than because of it. Even some of the most favorable nods to YPAO I've found, still related it to Audyssey being some sort of gold standard. From my past experieces with manufacturers using proprietary processing, especially when their design comes after anothers, it's almost always to cut corners/cut costs, at least with the bigger brands, - the few exceptions I can think of were all boutique builders. Those most impressed by YPAO seem to be coming from older versions of Audyssey, much like most of the claims I've found of Onkyo, Denon brands being superior seemingly based on pre-Aventage model Yamahas. And from what I've heard Aventage seems to be Yamaha's rebirth in the AVR arena, a return to greatness or something, at least with the mid to upper end models.

Regardless it doesn't sound like Yamaha has put near the engineering behind their EQ that Audyssey has. After all Audyssey is a specialist - EQ is all they do. Whether Audyssey's added refinement is appreciable enough in any given room as to negate other aspects of the Yamaha's design or build seems largly dependent on each systems own acoustic demands, as well as personal preference.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #1393 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 06:08 AM

Thanks, looks like a solid choice to go with my Martin Logan's.

Edit* Damn, no wifi and no 4K upscale on the 2020
post #1394 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:

it will sound better

(not sure if that's a good enough reason) :)

ex demo stuff is always another option for those that don't want 2nd hand and can still buy higher up the range

i've had loads of ex demo stuff and never had any problems, plus you get some kind of warranty

there is some nice 2nd hand stuff hitting the markets,

1020s for 400

2020s for 450

3010's for 500

3020's for 800

that's in pounds, not sure if it would be the straight conversion for dollars - but the UK retail price is usually what the US pay in Dollars

personally i'm waiting a bit for the CX-A5000 to drop slightly, i could buy this afternoon and have found an ok deal

but would rather wait for a better deal :)

when i bought my Yamaha A1 it was ex demo, it only had one very small mark, and still works and still sounds nice after 13yrs

so far it has worked out at  £5.70 per month over the 13 yrs, which is much less than i spend on fast food a wk,

so money well spent :) 

anyhow, food for thought

post #1395 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:

it will sound better
(not sure if that's a good enough reason) " src="http://files.avsforum.com/images/smilies/smile.gif" style="width:1px;">

ex demo stuff is always another option for those that don't want 2nd hand and can still buy higher up the range
i've had loads of ex demo stuff and never had any problems, plus you get some kind of warranty

there is some nice 2nd hand stuff hitting the markets,
1020s for 400
2020s for 450
3010's for 500
3020's for 800
that's in pounds, not sure if it would be the straight conversion for dollars - but the UK retail price is usually what the US pay in Dollars

personally i'm waiting a bit for the CX-A5000 to drop slightly, i could buy this afternoon and have found an ok deal
but would rather wait for a better deal smile.gif

when i bought my Yamaha A1 it was ex demo, it only had one very small mark, and still works and still sounds nice after 13yrs
so far it has worked out at  £5.70 per month over the 13 yrs, which is much less than i spend on fast food a wk,
so money well spent smile.gif  

anyhow, food for thought

Thanks WR. I plan on buying online so no demos. Leaning towards the 1030 now. Probably order from Amazon with Square Trade warranty this afternoon.
post #1396 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Thanks, looks like a solid choice to go with my Martin Logan's.

Edit* Damn, no wifi and no 4K upscale on the 2020

You can purchase an accessory that will add wi-fi to the Yamaha receivers. If you look at the yamaha website under the model you are looking at then click the accessories tab it is listed there.

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One
post #1397 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Thanks WR. I plan on buying online so no demos. Leaning towards the 1030 now. Probably order from Amazon with Square Trade warranty this afternoon.

hopefully it sounds good - or if not you can always send back to Amazon no questions asked :)

and could add an Emotiva amp or something similar if / when you need a bit more power

enjoy

post #1398 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky301067 View Post

Arcam P777, Dali Helicon's 400MK1's, 200 Centre, Phantom in wall rears, Paradigm Sub1.

Audessey Pro / YPAO / PBK

The same clips and tracks with Movies and Music will be played on each processor in the same room, after set up with EQ on each Processor "Audessy Pro on the Marantz"

Let the battle commence rolleyes.gif

For films the marantz is just better the sub is more controlled and is punchier, and the sound flows to speaker to speaker more evenly. For music the marantz is quite a bit better, the music flows better its got more air around the vocals more detail in the instruments and the bass seems better again. I think that mark has come to the same conclusion as me. Overall the marantz 8801 is definitely more musical. Didn't use Audyssey pro just xt32

AV Denon X5200w POA-T2-T3 power amps, PS4, Oppo-103D,HD JVC X500 projector, Subs 2 (DIY) fi ht15 subs inuke dsp 6000. Speakers Dali Helicon 400 C200 phantom ikon in wall & 4 phantom kompas 6m in ceiling, Mark grant cables.
post #1399 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 AM

Liked: 100
Quote:

Get the RX-A1030, and pair it with this - and never again wonder if you're getting enough power!:
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa-5
The power output difference between the A1030 (and even) the A3030 is insignificant in real terms, so do yourself a favor and use the A1030 as a processor, hook it to the XPA-5, and never clip again!.
Then if you go to a 7.1 system in the fuutre, drive those rear surrounds with the receiver's amps, and you're still set.
What's not to like?

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #1400 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 12:30 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucky View Post

For films the marantz is just better the sub is more controlled and is punchier, and the sound flows to speaker to speaker more evenly. For music the marantz is quite a bit better, the music flows better its got more air around the vocals more detail in the instruments and the bass seems better again. I think that mark has come to the same conclusion as me. Overall the marantz 8801 is definitely more musical. Didn't use Audyssey pro just xt32

But did you compare them without EQ (direct mode)? Apples to apples. Or across the pond, single malt to single malt.
post #1401 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM

Liked: 14

I will be receiving my A2030 later today and have a quick question regarding speaker setup. I'm running Energy e:XL 26 floor standing speakers for fronts, e:XL 16s for surround with an S8 sub. Should I set the speaker size during setup to large or small? I plan on enabling the crossover in the A2030 at 80hz and will bypass the crossover on the sub.

post #1402 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNY View Post

I will be receiving my A2030 later today and have a quick question regarding speaker setup. I'm running Energy e:XL 26 floor standing speakers for fronts, e:XL 16s for surround with an S8 sub. Should I set the speaker size during setup to large or small? I plan on enabling the crossover in the A2030 at 80hz and will bypass the crossover on the sub.
Small. But it doesnt really matter what you set them at before setup. You will most likely have to change them to small afterward anyway.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1403 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Small. But it doesnt really matter what you set them at before setup. You will most likely have to change them to small afterward anyway.

Thanks for the reply. What exactly does setting the speaker size to small do? I never understood why the receiver doesn't adjust the speakers properly during setup to account for the subwoofer, I shouldn't have to manually change the speaker size.

post #1404 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. What exactly does setting the speaker size to small do? I never understood why the receiver doesn't adjust the speakers properly during setup to account for the subwoofer, I shouldn't have to manually change the speaker size.
Its not really a matter of proper as much as preference. You can keep them large if you want.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1405 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

What exactly does setting the speaker size to small do? I never understood why the receiver doesn't adjust the speakers properly during setup to account for the subwoofer, I shouldn't have to manually change the speaker size.

Setting the size to Small is what tells the receiver that it should send bass below the crossover to the sub (the crossover means nothing for speakers set as large). Small/Large is really a poor choice of terms, because people with tower speakers feed insulted if you call their speakers "Small".

The auto-setup is not really an exact science, so you can't expect it to get things 100% right. Plus some if it is personal preference so there is no "right".
DaveNY likes this.
post #1406 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucky View Post

you can't use those kinds of words around here

(actually i'm surprised your post still exists - other similar posts have been deleted)

some would say the Marantz does n't look quite as good as the Yamaha, although beauty is in the eye of the beholder

can't win them all

post #1407 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar75 View Post

But did you compare them without EQ (direct mode)? Apples to apples. Or across the pond, single malt to single malt.
Of course I did.!

AV Denon X5200w POA-T2-T3 power amps, PS4, Oppo-103D,HD JVC X500 projector, Subs 2 (DIY) fi ht15 subs inuke dsp 6000. Speakers Dali Helicon 400 C200 phantom ikon in wall & 4 phantom kompas 6m in ceiling, Mark grant cables.
post #1408 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:

you can't use those kinds of words around here
(actually i'm surprised your post still exists - other similar posts have been deleted)

some would say the Marantz does n't look quite as good as the Yamaha, although beauty is in the eye of the beholder
can't win them all
It wasn't my idea to compare them it was mark's, the marantz is the better looking pre-amp.

post #1409 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Setting the size to Small is what tells the receiver that it should send bass below the crossover to the sub (the crossover means nothing for speakers set as large). Small/Large is really a poor choice of terms, because people with tower speakers feed insulted if you call their speakers "Small".

The auto-setup is not really an exact science, so you can't expect it to get things 100% right. Plus some if it is personal preference so there is no "right".

This makes sense thanks for the info.

post #1410 of 3308 Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39

I would like to pass 4K video from a Sony FMP-X1 4K media player through a Yamaha CX-A5000 to a Sony VPL-VW600ES projector.

I understand the CX-A5000 claims to pass 4K signals. My question, more specifically, is whether it will work with these two pieces of Sony equipment. I have heard that the HDMI or HDCP versions used by the Sony boxes may be incompatible with the Yamaha.

(I know the simple answer is "try it and see" but I'm currently running wires in walls and can't hook up the gear yet.)

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Rxa2030bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page