The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
First ... 47  48  49 50  51  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread
llang269's Avatar llang269 08:15 PM 02-12-2014
Ok just a brief history. I had an integra dhc 80.3 and just sold it. So now I'm trying to decide between the cx-a5000, the Marantz 8801 and the krell foundation. I'll be pairing whatever I get with parasound halo amps! So money isn't the issue!!!

Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 08:19 PM 02-12-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post

Ok just a brief history. I had an integra dhc 80.3 and just sold it. So now I'm trying to decide between the cx-a5000, the Marantz 8801 and the krell foundation. I'll be pairing whatever I get with parasound halo amps! So money isn't the issue!!!
I wish youd been around when I was selling my stuff. biggrin.gif
llang269's Avatar llang269 08:46 PM 02-12-2014
Not sure what good that would've did you! But ok
dryasanne's Avatar dryasanne 08:01 AM 02-13-2014
When streaming music from -- say Pandora -- have you tried them sourround settings ?

In particular Roxy and Bottom Line?

What do you think of these settings on 2 channel material, OK, or not ?

I am just now listening to Tracey Chapman, the album New Beginning.
On Roxy Theatre, An very interesting experience, very lively, and with a massice reverb, just like sitiing high up in the balconies :-)
bwillcox's Avatar bwillcox 10:23 AM 02-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

When streaming music from -- say Pandora -- have you tried them sourround settings ?

In particular Roxy and Bottom Line?

What do you think of these settings on 2 channel material, OK, or not ?

I am just now listening to Tracey Chapman, the album New Beginning.
On Roxy Theatre, An very interesting experience, very lively, and with a massice reverb, just like sitiing high up in the balconies :-)

I almost always use one of the Club settings (Roxy Theatre and the Bottom Line being two of my favorites) when listening to stereo music. I have an 11.2 channel setup, though for the club settings I think the center channel is not used. Sometimes I will listen to an SACD played on my Sony SCD-1 SACD player in Pure Direct mode, but that's more the exception.
WR1325's Avatar WR1325 10:51 AM 02-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

I almost always use one of the Club settings (Roxy Theatre and the Bottom Line being two of my favorites) when listening to stereo music. I have an 11.2 channel setup, though for the club settings I think the center channel is not used. Sometimes I will listen to an SACD played on my Sony SCD-1 SACD player in Pure Direct mode, but that's more the exception.

Disco on everything

set and forget (once you ve turned down all the Reverb and other settings)

tried all the others, never liked them too much and some have massive reverb as standard (before tweaking) not really sure why, or they used to

and before you all cuss me down for liking just disco, its on the CX-A5000 and not on many other lesser models and its been that way for the last 10yrs - so must be on the better models for a reason

i mostly listen to dance music so Disco seems the best for this type of music, but nice for Coldplay or Bob Marley and even Tracy Chapman (did she retire have nt seen or heard her in yrs)

although most of the DSPs after tweaking to the same settings can sound very similar (imo)

dryasanne's Avatar dryasanne 11:47 AM 02-13-2014
Tracy?? Oh she is very much alive and kickin ... Will visit us this year!
cougar75's Avatar cougar75 03:30 PM 02-13-2014
Off the fence. Purchased a CX-A5000 today. Will be here next week. Found it to be the most reasonably priced prepro currently available for both features and quality. Plan on keeping it for a couple of years and then upgrading again. Funny thing about upgraditus, I relapse every two years.
bwillcox's Avatar bwillcox 03:36 PM 02-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar75 View Post

Off the fence. Purchased a CX-A5000 today. Will be here next week. Found it to be the most reasonably priced prepro currently available for both features and quality. Plan on keeping it for a couple of years and then upgrading again. Funny thing about upgraditus, I relapse every two years.

Contrats on your decision! I'm pretty sure you won't regret it.

It took me 6 years to upgrade this time. Problem was that Yamaha waited that long between the RX-Z11 and the CX-A5000! biggrin.gif
Chad Varnadore's Avatar Chad Varnadore 07:38 PM 02-13-2014
I've been spending some time going through the 3020 thread where there seems to be more people posting about HDMI and audio delay issues with the Yamaha line than in this thread. So, I figured I'd take a stab in the dark and contact Yamaha again, this time by phone. Now I have even more reservations between which model to go with: last years or this.

On the one hand the phone rep was very adamant at first that neither YPAO nor anything other than the select feature differences highlighted in the promotional literature have changed between the units (they seem to want to play down the absense of HQV). On the other hand, he seemed to contradict himself by saying Yamaha is constantly tweaking and making small improvements on their devices to make them sound/perform better - which was what I was asking when he flat out told me there were no differences between the models. He also didn't seem to regard YPAO as having different versions - which I pointed out the lack of angle measurements in the 2030 and below lines. I couldn't tell by his response if he forgot about it or he was thinking above my head and just didn't regard the angle measurements as part of YPAO for some reason. I put my questions a couple different ways, but I must have failed at communicating it well, as he sounded annoyed. I'm not even sure he fully grasped what I was asking, ultimately advising me that I'd be happy with either the 3020 or 3030, more like a bad salesman, than a good engineer.
bweissman's Avatar bweissman 11:47 AM 02-14-2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKO1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

No difference, just much louder.

Agree with David. I haven't seen any difference.

Use the attenuator to eliminate the additional 6dB amplitude.

Cheers.

I'm finally getting around to installing this equipment (hooray). Why would I want to attenuate the extra 6 dB gained by the balanced cables?

ftboomer's Avatar ftboomer 11:52 AM 02-15-2014
So I got the 1030 and got it hooked up today. Everything sounds great already but when I ran YPAO, everything went around the horn fine until the test tones got to the left surround and nothing came out. Checked the connections and turned on the TV and sure enough, sound was there. Reran the test tones and nope, nothing but error of no surround left present.

Any thoughts on what would cause this.
RDK13's Avatar RDK13 01:45 PM 02-15-2014

Need Some Advice - Hi All

Bought the 3030 six months ago and love it.  Running a 9.1 system with 4 speakers up in the ceiling, 5 on the floor with a center and a subwoofer. Sounds good, especially the 9ch dsp for music.  Anyways,  got the bug to upgrade speakers and found out that most (all) of the speakers that I like are rated 4 ohms (Dynaudio Contour, Sonus Faber Cermona, Monitor Audio Pl, etc.)  and found out (thru Yamaha) that the 3030 can not handle speakers rated 4 ohms in a surround system - only the front main speakers can be rated 4 ohms, the rest have to be 6 ohms or higher with the impedance setting changed to 6 ohms minimum.  I've read that this basically lowers the voltage and may lead to clipping issues, which I am not in favor of doing. In fact, there are articles out on the web that says that the impedance setting should be left at 8 ohms always regardless of what size the speakers are, however Yamaha told me that the impedance setting must be changed.  For this reason, I'm thinking about upgrading my 3030 (I believe the M5000/A5000 and Marantz's have the same issue), but will miss Pandora/Spotify as most amps/receivers that can handle 4 ohm loads do not have this option quite integrated into their latest models (NAD, Arcam, seems like they're a couple years behind) - so I guess that's the downside.  Looking for suggestions/thoughts - there are decent speakers rated 8 ohms out there, but the ones that I like are all rated 4 ohms.  Thanks in advance.

fatbottom's Avatar fatbottom 02:02 PM 02-15-2014
You could just buy a power amplifier. My mains and center are 4 ohm too. Perhaps ATI 1803, 3 x180W
Espo77's Avatar Espo77 02:43 PM 02-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDK13 View Post

Need Some Advice - Hi All

Bought the 3030 six months ago and love it.  Running a 9.1 system with 4 speakers up in the ceiling, 5 on the floor with a center and a subwoofer. Sounds good, especially the 9ch dsp for music.  Anyways,  got the bug to upgrade speakers and found out that most (all) of the speakers that I like are rated 4 ohms (Dynaudio Contour, Sonus Faber Cermona, Monitor Audio Pl, etc.)  and found out (thru Yamaha) that the 3030 can not handle speakers rated 4 ohms in a surround system - only the front main speakers can be rated 4 ohms, the rest have to be 6 ohms or higher with the impedance setting changed to 6 ohms minimum.  I've read that this basically lowers the voltage and may lead to clipping issues, which I am not in favor of doing. In fact, there are articles out on the web that says that the impedance setting should be left at 8 ohms always regardless of what size the speakers are, however Yamaha told me that the impedance setting must be changed.  For this reason, I'm thinking about upgrading my 3030 (I believe the M5000/A5000 and Marantz's have the same issue), but will miss Pandora/Spotify as most amps/receivers that can handle 4 ohm loads do not have this option quite integrated into their latest models (NAD, Arcam, seems like they're a couple years behind) - so I guess that's the downside.  Looking for suggestions/thoughts - there are decent speakers rated 8 ohms out there, but the ones that I like are all rated 4 ohms.  Thanks in advance.

I purchased the RX-A3030 back in December and posted a similar question. I bought two Boston Acoustics M350 towers. BA says "compatable with 8 ohm outputs" while a popular review states 4 ohms. Bottom line is, the impedence changes/drops more in the mid and upper frequencies, and shouldn't cause any issues. You and I have the option of using a separate power amp however. I have become very attached to the 3030 and it's features. I did leave it in the 8 ohm mode. No issues have developed.
Juz's Avatar Juz 05:19 AM 02-16-2014
Hi,
I am currently connecting a Yamaha RX-A3030. I was wondering can I connect a second set of surround speakers (meaning two on each side wall) to the AVR? Effectively and safely? It will be a 7.1 set up. The room is over 30 feet long and 16 feet wide. Just thought as the room is long that it would benefit from a second set of surround speakers on the side wall. I would be grateful of advice as I do not want to damage the Receiver, etc. Thanks. smile.gif
Regards,
Juz
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 07:08 AM 02-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftboomer View Post

So I got the 1030 and got it hooked up today. Everything sounds great already but when I ran YPAO, everything went around the horn fine until the test tones got to the left surround and nothing came out. Checked the connections and turned on the TV and sure enough, sound was there. Reran the test tones and nope, nothing but error of no surround left present.

Any thoughts on what would cause this.

Try swapping the LS/RS speaker wires and see if the same issue presents in the RS. If yes, then try disconnecting the power cord for 10 minutes and try again. If the issue remains, reset the microprocessor.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 07:11 AM 02-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juz View Post

Hi,
I am currently connecting a Yamaha RX-A3030. I was wondering can I connect a second set of surround speakers (meaning two on each side wall) to the AVR? Effectively and safely? It will be a 7.1 set up. The room is over 30 feet long and 16 feet wide. Just thought as the room is long that it would benefit from a second set of surround speakers on the side wall. I would be grateful of advice as I do not want to damage the Receiver, etc. Thanks. smile.gif
Regards,
Juz

Connecting two sets of speakers in parallel makes them appear to the AVR as 4-ohm speakers (if using 8-ohm speakers). This may cause the AVR to shut down in protection mode at loud volume levels but at normal volume levels should not be a problem. You'll need to run YPAO again though to account for the extra speakers.
ftboomer's Avatar ftboomer 11:38 AM 02-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Try swapping the LS/RS speaker wires and see if the same issue presents in the RS. If yes, then try disconnecting the power cord for 10 minutes and try again. If the issue remains, reset the microprocessor.

I swapped the surround back R to SBLeft and reran and that fixed it. Thanks
bad1550's Avatar bad1550 11:56 AM 02-16-2014
I just set up my new Samsung UN65F9000 TV and would like to set up my 5.1 from Yamaha RX-A 3030 to new TV. Can anyone assist how to hookup. The TV utilized the One Connect and its a bit confusing and I am unable to get sound after I switch to external speaker setting.
I only need to connect my Set Top Cable Box and Blu Ray player.

Thx

Bob
marky301067's Avatar marky301067 10:05 PM 02-16-2014
Is there any easy way to bookmark a radio station, I have booked marked them ok on the web interface, nothing is showing under bookmarks, under Net Radio on the CX-5000,it's doing my head in, surely this should be an easy thing to do, rather than go through country etc............?
Espo77's Avatar Espo77 11:40 PM 02-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1550 View Post

I just set up my new Samsung UN65F9000 TV and would like to set up my 5.1 from Yamaha RX-A 3030 to new TV. Can anyone assist how to hookup. The TV utilized the One Connect and its a bit confusing and I am unable to get sound after I switch to external speaker setting.
I only need to connect my Set Top Cable Box and Blu Ray player.

Thx

Bob

Think of the receiver as a "docking station" for your source components. The source components are the Blu-Ray player, and the set top box. Use high speed HDMI cables. Connect HDMI "out" of the set top box and "out" of the Blu-Ray to "in" on the receiver. Then one HDMI cable "out" of the receiver to the HDMI "in" on the TV. Find the HDMI "in" on the TV that is marked with "ARC"...Audio Return Channel. The TV, the receiver, and the HDMI cable must support the "ARC". (I know the TV and the receiver support ARC, so just make sure that the HDMI cable between the receiver and the TV support the "ARC" also.
The receiver has a feature called "Standby Through". I have my set top box connected to this port. Once the receiver is configured by you, you will be able to watch cable TV without turning on the receiver, but the receiver must remain in "standby mode". Sometimes you want to watch TV without turning on the receiver. I had trouble understanding the owners manual at times. Some things are not very clear. Believe me,Yamaha has all of this figured out. I hope this helps you.
jdsmoothie's Avatar jdsmoothie 03:47 AM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Think of the receiver as a "docking station" for your source components. The source components are the Blu-Ray player, and the set top box. Use high speed HDMI cables. Connect HDMI "out" of the set top box and "out" of the Blu-Ray to "in" on the receiver. Then one HDMI cable "out" of the receiver to the HDMI "in" on the TV. Find the HDMI "in" on the TV that is marked with "ARC"...Audio Return Channel. The TV, the receiver, and the HDMI cable must support the "ARC". (I know the TV and the receiver support ARC, so just make sure that the HDMI cable between the receiver and the TV support the "ARC" also.
The receiver has a feature called "Standby Through". I have my set top box connected to this port. Once the receiver is configured by you, you will be able to watch cable TV without turning on the receiver, but the receiver must remain in "standby mode". Sometimes you want to watch TV without turning on the receiver. I had trouble understanding the owners manual at times. Some things are not very clear. Believe me,Yamaha has all of this figured out. I hope this helps you.

All HDMI cables (to include older cables marked HDMI 1.3) support ARC as it is simply audio whereas the need for a "Standard" (720p/1080i) vs. "High Speed" (1080p) cable refers to the video capability.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 03:59 AM 02-17-2014
You cant hardly find Standard Speed HDMI cables anymore. If you just make sure the cable is a High Speed cable it should handle anything necessary unless you run into a pretty extraordinary situation. Ex. In wall, very long runs, if you need something to handle very high internet speeds.
GPC1's Avatar GPC1 07:47 AM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juz View Post

Hi,
Regards,
Juz

Another way you could run 2 sets of surround speakers is to use an external amp for one of the sets , as that is what I am doing right now as I have a large room as well as it is 25 feet long and about 14 wide.
The way I have set it up is to use the pre output on the receiver in your case you would use the direct pre out puts on the 3030 for the right and left surround channel and input that into a external amp and then run the second set of speakers from that amp.

Seeing that you have upgraded to a 3030 you probable have an amp or an older Yamaha receiver you can use as an amp . As some of the Yamaha receivers allow you to use the amps section only while you by pass the rest of the a/v features. As I am using an older DSP-2070 for my external amp as it allows for 2 channels direct input to the amp section. I also have a older Yamaha RX_V1 , I am using as a external amp as it allows you to use 6 channels direct input to the amp section on it and I am using it to run 2 of my zones .

once you get the second set hook up to the external amp do a manual calibration sound test tone level on the side surrounds left and then right channels and adjust the external amp output so it matches the 3030 out put for the surround it is powering. As when you do the manual speaker test tone level for the surrounds speakers both speakers will be on at the same time meaning both right side surround speakers will be on as one speaker is getting its level from the 3030 amp and the other getting its sound level out of the pre outs on the 3030 to the external amp . Once the 2 speakers are set on right and left to the same level then you can do an auto calibration with the system.
ftboomer's Avatar ftboomer 07:54 AM 02-17-2014
So now that I've got my 1030 set up and optimized, Is there any way to turn on my surround back full time? I pulled up Skyfall on Netflix and that has been the only time that the SB has come on. I'd like to have it on all the time though.

Also, is there no way to step through all the decoding schemes ie DD, PLII, DTS, etc. Ever other receiver I've ever owned at least let me pick what sounded best to me.

And finally, I see Extended Surround listed in several places in the manual but I can not find that in my menus anywhere. Was this feature or option removed from the 1030?

Thanks in advance for any help.
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 08:53 AM 02-17-2014
Extended Surround is in the Option Menu, so set it to PLIIx (for example).

Also note that Scenes can (optionally) be set to store the extended surround setting, so you can have different values for each Scene if you want.
bad1550's Avatar bad1550 09:18 AM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

I played around yesterday and so far the only way to get the 5.1 to work was HDMI out (ARC) on receiver to HDMI 1 on the Connect box. It did not work when I hooked up to the HDMI 3 (Arc) on Connect Box.

Also, Not getting any sound when playing the Pandora app on F9000. I had to use yamaha app on my iPad to get sound thru receiver.

Thx

Bob
ftboomer's Avatar ftboomer 09:22 AM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Extended Surround is in the Option Menu, so set it to PLIIx (for example).

Also note that Scenes can (optionally) be set to store the extended surround setting, so you can have different values for each Scene if you want.

Great Thanks. Still trying to figure out scenes. Need to do some more reading
Chad Varnadore's Avatar Chad Varnadore 09:41 AM 02-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC1 View Post

Another way you could run 2 sets of surround speakers is to use an external amp for one of the sets , as that is what I am doing right now as I have a large room as well as it is 25 feet long and about 14 wide.
The way I have set it up is to use the pre output on the receiver in your case you would use the direct pre out puts on the 3030 for the right and left surround channel and input that into a external amp and then run the second set of speakers from that amp.

Seeing that you have upgraded to a 3030 you probable have an amp or an older Yamaha receiver you can use as an amp . As some of the Yamaha receivers allow you to use the amps section only while you by pass the rest of the a/v features. As I am using an older DSP-2070 for my external amp as it allows for 2 channels direct input to the amp section. I also have a older Yamaha RX_V1 , I am using as a external amp as it allows you to use 6 channels direct input to the amp section on it and I am using it to run 2 of my zones .

once you get the second set hook up to the external amp do a manual calibration sound test tone level on the side surrounds left and then right channels and adjust the external amp output so it matches the 3030 out put for the surround it is powering. As when you do the manual speaker test tone level for the surrounds speakers both speakers will be on at the same time meaning both right side surround speakers will be on as one speaker is getting its level from the 3030 amp and the other getting its sound level out of the pre outs on the 3030 to the external amp . Once the 2 speakers are set on right and left to the same level then you can do an auto calibration with the system.

To be clear, you're saying you hook up both the side surround preouts and the 3030's side surround speaker outs at the same time, when the manual warns against doing just that? I don't really know the reason most AVRs say not to hook up both, so I'm not knocking it, if it works, but wouldn't it be better to use a 4-channel amp and split the preout? Or would that cause the AVR to go into protection mode as JD described too?
Tags: Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
First ... 47  48  49 50  51  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop