The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Cougar,

From what I have heard the condition once contracted only becomes worse and worse. with side effects of Greater Audio quality Amazing Visuals and quite a bit of shock and aw...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post

I would look at different amps. Most reviews that I have read on the mx arent very good. Just my .02. I plan on pairing mine with two parasound amps. I have had emotiva amps and they are very good for the money.

I haven't heard anything negative about the amps quality. Most criticism seems to be directed more at it costing more than comparably powered amps.
Quote:

Naw I dont think you offended anyone. I am just like you, that im looking to upgrade my pre/pro. But I already sold my 80.3! And like you im looking at the Yammy, the Krell foundation and I just added the new Arcam processor. I took the Marantz off after talking to people I respect a lot and neither cared for the Marantz.

Care to elaborate? I just put the Marantz 7008 back on my list, but I'm still researching it. My thinking is I really don't need a separate amp for the room and some of what I'm hearing about the Yamaha's power supply has me discouraged about being able to do without my current Outlaw. Though, I also know I'm paying for some features I'll never use on the 7008. The Denon 4000 sounds like the smarter choice for the money - I could get it and an Oppo 103D for about the same cost as the 3030 or 7008, but I've owned Denon's for so many years, I'd like to see what the other side of the fence is like, even if the fence is on the same property (Marantz).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

No, no... it's all good!

I just did not understand it...

I am really liking what i see in the Yamaha 3030 - I am just trying to decide if it is in the same "league" as the Sony 5800ES, the Denon 4520CI, and the Pioneer Elite SC-79...

I can't imagine any audio product from Sony being favorably compared with those three brands at the level of the 3030 or 4520 (not familiar enough with Pioneers line to know where the 79 ranks in their product chain). I should qualify that by mentioning that I haven't actually owned a Sony AVR in over a decade, I've only briefly auditioned a select few. I did recently buy their top of the line soundbar for my parents, thinking since it'll be paired with Sony Bravia, there would be less likelihood of compatibility issues. I was wrong: It loses sync everytime there's a layer change on BDs through a PS3; they mistaken enabled ARC (which the tv doesn't support) instead of AAV (or whatever the similarly initialed auto-volume leveling feature is - the soundbar has about 3 of them btw: night mode, one for dolby sources, and another for everything else) which was causing them to lose picture intermittently; AND the sound is pretty terrible, but it does do a better job of converting multi-channel sources to two channel, much better with lossless tracks especially. But I can't fathom what people are coming from who think soundbars are comparable to a decent HT setup. Not that such is entirely relevant to the sound quality from a modern Sony AVR, but I have always had the impression that, in terms of audio products, Sony is more about mass marketing than quality engineering, unlike manufacturers who are best known for their audio products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar75 View Post

I had recent surgery for upgraditis. The doctors told me it had spread to my brain and was terminal. eek.gif

I need one of those, but I fear I'm beyond help too, at least where HT is concerned - I could care less about having the latest and greatest phone.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #1533 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 AM

Liked: 21
I know what you mean! As you can see I cant shake it either. Sold my Integra dhc 80.3 and Emotiva xpa-5 to upgrade to something better. The girlfriend was made, because she thought it sounded perfect. This damn disease wont kill me but it is killing my bank account. rolleyes.gif

post #1534 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 AM

I have no problem with emo amps. I was actually looking at their xpr amps and they are still in the running. I have heard my speakers with different amps and wanted to upgrade ever since. So no knock on them. I just want something a little better. As far as the marantz av 8801 goes some of the members on here have told me they werent impressed with it all and one of the dealers I know said the same thing. I actually just read an review somewhere and the reviewer said he doesnt get all the hype around it. I guess kind of like golden ear speakers. They rave about them in the mags and say they compare to speakers costing ten times as much. Bulls**t. Ive heard them on numerous occasion and thought they were just ok. But anyway I digress. It all comes down to what you like and want. Its your ears and your hard earned money you are about to part with. Buy what makes you smile!! biggrin.gif:D

post #1535 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by HognDog View Post

Hello Everyone,

I am Extremely new to being a member but I have been reading up on this site for quite awhile and it has really helped me with quite a bit so far. I have learned a lot and decided that I am going to start building my own theater sound system and have decided I definitely want to go with the CM10 B&W for my fronts I love the way they sound and will be ordering a CX-a5000 as my Pre but my question is about the MX-a5000.... I can not find any reviews about this Amp most of the ones I find are paired with the CX and mention it only briefly as they close out their article the only one that even gives it a proper paragraph is the one at Sound&Vision and hes not too thrilled to write about it either. Everything has glowing reviews to the CX but not much on the MX. Would I be much better suited on going with a combination of Emotiva Amps Like the XPA 2 & 5? or will the MX power my CM10s which take a maximum wattage of 300 (still trying to figure most of this out am very new to it all but have done hours of research) and my future surrounds as I continue to build my system?

Hog

And as far as the Sound & Vision "review" - if you notice - he gives an absolute glowing review of the CX-A5000 - like the other reviews I have read...

But then compares the MX-A5000 - which is $2,500 and 150 Watts/Channel - to the Parasound amp(s) - which costs twice as much and is 250 Watts/Channel...!

Gee, I wonder why the amp that costs twice as much and almost twice the power sounded better?!

This guy actually gets paid to do these reviews?!

post #1536 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 09:52 AM

The mx retails for 3000 and the parasound retails for 4500. So not exactly double. But the parts and circuits are so much better.

post #1537 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:

And as far as the Sound & Vision "review" - if you notice - he gives an absolute glowing review of the CX-A5000 - like the other reviews I have read...

But then compares the MX-A5000 - which is $2,500 and 150 Watts/Channel - to the Parasound amp(s) - which costs twice as much and is 250 Watts/Channel...!

Gee, I wonder why the amp that costs twice as much and almost twice the power sounded better?!

Exactly!!!! So frustrating that I can't get an honest evaluation about the MX if you google it... it is always paired with the CX and the CX takes up 95% of the review. Im happy the CX is doing so well in fact that's why I am picking it over the Marantz 8801 but its hard to really get a clear picture of the MX...

post #1538 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

I haven't heard anything negative about the amps quality. Most criticism seems to be directed more at it costing more than comparably powered amps.
Care to elaborate? I just put the Marantz 7008 back on my list, but I'm still researching it. My thinking is I really don't need a separate amp for the room and some of what I'm hearing about the Yamaha's power supply has me discouraged about being able to do without my current Outlaw. Though, I also know I'm paying for some features I'll never use on the 7008. The Denon 4000 sounds like the smarter choice for the money - I could get it and an Oppo 103D for about the same cost as the 3030 or 7008, but I've owned Denon's for so many years, I'd like to see what the other side of the fence is like, even if the fence is on the same property (Marantz).
I can't imagine any audio product from Sony being favorably compared with those three brands at the level of the 3030 or 4520 (not familiar enough with Pioneers line to know where the 79 ranks in their product chain). I should qualify that by mentioning that I haven't actually owned a Sony AVR in over a decade, I've only briefly auditioned a select few. I did recently buy their top of the line soundbar for my parents, thinking since it'll be paired with Sony Bravia, there would be less likelihood of compatibility issues. I was wrong: It loses sync everytime there's a layer change on BDs through a PS3; they mistaken enabled ARC (which the tv doesn't support) instead of AAV (or whatever the similarly initialed auto-volume leveling feature is - the soundbar has about 3 of them btw: night mode, one for dolby sources, and another for everything else) which was causing them to lose picture intermittently; AND the sound is pretty terrible, but it does do a better job of converting multi-channel sources to two channel, much better with lossless tracks especially. But I can't fathom what people are coming from who think soundbars are comparable to a decent HT setup. Not that such is entirely relevant to the sound quality from a modern Sony AVR, but I have always had the impression that, in terms of audio products, Sony is more about mass marketing than quality engineering, unlike manufacturers who are best known for their audio products.
I need one of those, but I fear I'm beyond help too, at least where HT is concerned - I could care less about having the latest and greatest phone.

The Sony 5800ES is getting glowing professional reviews.

As a matter of fact, Home Theater Magazine, I believe, called it the best sounding AVR they ever reviewed...

It seems as though your thoughts regarding the upper-level Sony ES products - are the exact same mine were with regard to the Yamaha line - I never knew they had an upper-level line either.

post #1539 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 AM

Me personally I wouldnt buy any Sony product! They just dont seem to build quality products anymore.

post #1540 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The mx retails for 3000 and the parasound retails for 4500. So not exactly double. But the parts and circuits are so much better.

No, the MX-A5000 lists for $,3000 - it retails/sells for $2,500...

I have never seen it retailing/or selling for more than the $2,500...

There is a huge difference between list price and retail price...

:)

But, the point was - he was not comparing "apples to apples" as they say - and it was not a fair comparison by any means.

First, who would compare a 150 Watt/Channel amp to a 250 Watt/Channel amp?!  Must less a professional reviewer?!

And then the price difference - a $4,500 amp - to a $2,500 amp?!

Like I said - I can't believe this guy actually gets paid!

post #1541 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 10:17 AM

I agree its not a fair comparison and I sometimes wonder how these guys keep a job or get paid to do this? Especially when you actually hear some of the products that they give glowing reviews to.

post #1542 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 10:43 AM

Liked: 100
Quote:

Hello Everyone,

I am Extremely new to being a member but I have been reading up on this site for quite awhile and it has really helped me with quite a bit so far. I have learned a lot and decided that I am going to start building my own theater sound system and have decided I definitely want to go with the CM10 B&W for my fronts I love the way they sound and will be ordering a CX-a5000 as my Pre but my question is about the MX-a5000.... I can not find any reviews about this Amp most of the ones I find are paired with the CX and mention it only briefly as they close out their article the only one that even gives it a proper paragraph is the one at Sound&Vision and hes not too thrilled to write about it either. Everything has glowing reviews to the CX but not much on the MX. Would I be much better suited on going with a combination of Emotiva Amps Like the XPA 2 & 5? or will the MX power my CM10s which take a maximum wattage of 300 (still trying to figure most of this out am very new to it all but have done hours of research) and my future surrounds as I continue to build my system?

Hog
Yes, forget the MX-A5000 (overpriced for what it is I think), and go with a combination of the Emotiva XPA-2 & XPA-5 for a far superior (IMO) result!
Or, if you like POWER (like we all do, no?) consider a combination of the XPR-2 & XPR-5 instead. I'm running the XPR-5 and it's a wondrefully sounding amp, and would fit very nicely with the CX-A5000 as well.

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #1543 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Yes, forget the MX-A5000 (overpriced for what it is I think), and go with a combination of the Emotiva XPA-2 & XPA-5 for a far superior (IMO) result!
Or, if you like POWER (like we all do, no?) consider a combination of the XPR-2 & XPR-5 instead. I'm running the XPR-5 and it's a wondrefully sounding amp, and would fit very nicely with the CX-A5000 as well.

Thanks Norseman I think your right and it lets me upgrade later on as well with more power if needed down the road im afraid those CM10s would be starved once I got a whole room set up with speakers now with the Emos I Have alittle more room to work from my understanding and they seem to be really doing well at their price point.

post #1544 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

He lost me when I got to the part where he said he had to move his speakers for YPAO to sound good.

Edit: My bad, I was referring to the Audioholics review, not Sound and Vision.

Quote:

The Sony 5800ES is getting glowing professional reviews.

As a matter of fact, Home Theater Magazine, I believe, called it the best sounding AVR they ever reviewed...

It seems as though your thoughts regarding the upper-level Sony ES products - are the exact same mine were with regard to the Yamaha line - I never knew they had an upper-level line either.

That's encouraging, even if one review isn't exactly convincing for me, regardless of the source, especially when they make such statements as "best sounding AVR they ever heard...". But I haven't read the review you referenced to see if they qualified that better than it sounds.

Until a month ago, I never held Yamaha in much regard either. I knew the brand has always enjoyed a vocal following, but I'd always had a negative impression of it for whatever reason. I still don't hold them in high regard, so to speak, as I have yet to hear one in my own HT or properly set up elsewhere. But this thread and a brief Best Buy demo has me wanting to give them a try. I was really surprised at the non-calibrated difference in clarity between a 2030 and a Marantz 7007 while there.

Quote:

Me personally I wouldnt buy any Sony product! They just dont seem to build quality products anymore.

I still like their displays. Though, their optical blocks only being guaranteed for a measly 5000 hours has often concerned me. And the PS3 is a terrific piece of gear. I've heard of far too many issues with their BD players though, too. But, I try to avoid rebadged products designed by someone else, which has been the case with at least some of their players.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #1545 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 10:59 AM

I agree 100%

post #1546 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Have you actually heard to MX-A5000?

post #1547 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 63
From what I have read and been told, the MX adds warmth to the CX which can be good thing depending on source and speakers.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #1548 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

From what I have read and been told, the MX adds warmth to the CX which can be good thing depending on source and speakers.

Very good!

post #1549 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahabadoo View Post

Found reviews with nice pics. Google translate is not perfect but it gives a good idea of what they are saying.

http://www.hdfever.fr/2013/11/20/test-yamaha-cx-a5000-et-mx-a5000/
http://www.hdfever.fr/2013/07/15/test-yamaha-rx-a1030/

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post

Audioholics review is up...

http://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-aventage-cx-a5000-mx

More "glowing" reviews...

I really am beginning to like this set-up...

post #1550 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:

More "glowing" reviews...

I really am beginning to like this set-up...

First actual review I have read for the Mx!!!

Thanks Liltalkm for pointing that one out he really did a through job reviewing "Both" devices but alas I did see something that worried me with the MX once they started driving 7 channels it started going into protection mode. Im guessing once you add 9 or even 11 your gonna really strain this monster atleast that's what I took from the review.

post #1551 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First actual review I have read for the Mx!!!

Thanks Liltalkm for pointing that one out he really did a through job reviewing "Both" devices but alas I did see something that worried me with the MX once they started driving 7 channels it started going into protection mode. Im guessing once you add 9 or even 11 your gonna really strain this monster atleast that's what I took from the review.

Yeah, I read that also...

But I think you have to take into account what speakers they were running, and how they were set-up, etc...

And were they bi-amping also...?

In any event, a firmware update might be able to correct that...

I still like what I am reading....:)

post #1552 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
From what I have read, the MX mates well with the CX...

But, I don't think that the MX is a wonderfully spec'd AMP other than the fact it has 11 channels.

If it were me, I would take the $$ for the MX and put it on a different amp. (I currently have no need for 11 channels either! smile.gif )

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #1553 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Where did you read that? In all reviews I've read, they all claim that the MX is merely sufficient, which is their politically correct way of saying it's "meh"
Mad Norseman likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #1554 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Where did you read that? In all reviews I've read, they all claim that the MX is merely sufficient, which is their politically correct way of saying it's "meh"

jima4a read the same thing I did and it is documented in a couple of the many reviews posted/linked in this thread.

I did not say that the MX was a great amp or that any review said it was a great amp, only that the two units seem to play well together.
David Susilo likes this.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #1555 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 12:35 PM

David I would have to agree with you. If you read all the reviews the amp leaves something to be desired. I am seriously considering the cx-a5000. But in no way would I even consider the mx. But thats just me!
liltalkm and David Susilo like this.

post #1556 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But in no way would I even consider the mx. But thats just me!

I totally agree.
David Susilo likes this.

post #1557 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm View Post

From what I have read, the MX mates well with the CX...

But, I don't think that the MX is a wonderfully spec'd AMP other than the fact it has 11 channels.

If it were me, I would take the $$ for the MX and put it on a different amp. (I currently have no need for 11 channels either! smile.gif )

Well, I agree with that!

It was kind of silly to put out an 11.2 amp...

They should have just made it a 9.2 (or even 7.2) - and upped the wattage...

post #1558 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Was this a professional review where they biamped the speakers? Am I the only one that thinks thats strange?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1559 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If any is looking to buy the cx-5000 check AVS science they have the best price,I got mine from them,very please with the buy!
post #1560 of 3018 Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

If any is looking to buy the cx-5000 check AVS science they have the best price,I got mine from them,very please with the buy!
+1

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Rxa2030bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page