The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1981 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 04:31 AM
Newbie
 
tac1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone.  I just bought an RX-A1030 yesterday.  Not sure if I'm having a set-up issue or just a lack of understanding of how the unit operates:

 

I have two separate sub woofers connected to 'sub 1' and 'sub 2' respectively

I set both to mid-volume prior to automated YPAO set-up

When YPAO is run, I get an initial 'burst' from sub 1, then as things work their way through the entire set-up, I hear both subs being activated.

Once the setup is complete though, only one sub shows up on the YPAO GUI - shouldn't there be two?

Also, when playing back sources, the unit Information GUI will display 3/4/.1  Again, shouldn't this be .2?

So, am I doing something wrong during the setup, or is this how the Yamaha displays things?  BTW, both subs are active while playing sources - that's what's really confusing me.

 

Thanks for any help or guidance!

tac1966 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1982 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 05:14 AM
Senior Member
 
dwaleke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The 1030 only has one subwoofer output. The two connectors are just an internal y cable. You need to step up to the 2030 and above to have a true .2.
dwaleke is online now  
post #1983 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 05:18 AM
Newbie
 
tac1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

After a little more digging here on this thread I found the same - thanks for the speedy reply and help - wish Yamaha had been a little more descriptive/specific in touting .2

tac1966 is offline  
post #1984 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,476
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by tac1966 View Post

Hi everyone.  I just bought an RX-A1030 yesterday.  Not sure if I'm having a set-up issue or just a lack of understanding of how the unit operates:

I have two separate sub woofers connected to 'sub 1' and 'sub 2' respectively
I set both to mid-volume prior to automated YPAO set-up
When YPAO is run, I get an initial 'burst' from sub 1, then as things work their way through the entire set-up, I hear both subs being activated.
Once the setup is complete though, only one sub shows up on the YPAO GUI - shouldn't there be two?
Also, when playing back sources, the unit Information GUI will display 3/4/.1  Again, shouldn't this be .2?
So, am I doing something wrong during the setup, or is this how the Yamaha displays things?  BTW, both subs are active while playing sources - that's what's really confusing me.

Thanks for any help or guidance!

You will never see .2 as there is only a single .1 signal from any current available source. Most AVR mfr's generally use the notation 7.2 to simply indicate there are (2) sub pre-outs on the model, regardless of whether individual volume levels can be applied to each sub or not.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #1985 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

He means that unless you are doing 4K @ 60fps you probably don't care about hdmi 2.0.

Nope, don't care and likely won't for several years to come. Without 4K sources it's just not interesting to me.
bwillcox is offline  
post #1986 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 05:44 AM
Newbie
 
tac1966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Understood - I'm coming from the Onkyo world - my last receiver showed source in as .1 and .2 being output.  Thanks for you reply.

tac1966 is offline  
post #1987 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post

Hey Marky what did the review say? I tried to ask Kal earlier but that didn't go to well. I understand he has to sell magazines!

Now on-line at www.stereophile.com


Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #1988 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Jond0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Now on-line at www.stereophile.com

Now I really can't wait to get mine and get it set up!
Jond0 is offline  
post #1989 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Member
 
llang269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tinley Park IL
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Already purchased! But thanks for looking out for me! I really appreciate it. Even though it was a waste of time

llang269 is offline  
post #1990 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 8,761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Now on-line at www.stereophile.com

Nice Review.

I hope the discussion of the bass equalization bears fruit.
How does one copy the filters from the external bass equalization programs?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
RichB is offline  
post #1991 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Senior Member
 
smitty8451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

Nope, don't care and likely won't for several years to come. Without 4K sources it's just not interesting to me.

I agree, plus who knows what issues the new format may have, I mean how many versions of HDMI 1 have come out to add additional features. I'm happy with my Cx-a5000 and don't plan on upgrading for quit a while.smile.gifsmile.gif

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One
smitty8451 is offline  
post #1992 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Member
 
thoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

Party mode (page 97) will send stereo audio to both zones. This replaces speaker a and b.
Just flip the door open on the remote. Both zone 2 and party on are right there. Just leave party
mode on and turn zone 2 on or off as needed. One button push.

Thanks for the tip -- indeed, Party mode looked like it might get the job done, from what I could glean from the owners manual. I'll definitely play around with that.

thoots
thoots is offline  
post #1993 of 3125 Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Member
 
boxerfan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Question on serving audio files to RXA3030 via DLNA server, I am unable to get the Yamaha to recognize/play WAV files from a DLNA server, however, FLAC/MP3 files from the same server works.

 

Can someone advise me if you have gotten the DLNA streaming of WAV files to work on the RXA3030?

This answer will help point me the path to troubleshoot. Thanks.


RX-A3030 | Usher MD2 + Klipsch RB51 | Sony BDP-S5100 | HTPC
Zone 2 | Heco Victa 702
Zone 3 | Audiolab 8000A | Rogers LS6a
boxerfan88 is offline  
post #1994 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 02:20 AM
Member
 
boxerfan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerfan88 View Post
 

Question on serving audio files to RXA3030 via DLNA server, I am unable to get the Yamaha to recognize/play WAV files from a DLNA server, however, FLAC/MP3 files from the same server works.

 

Can someone advise me if you have gotten the DLNA streaming of WAV files to work on the RXA3030?

This answer will help point me the path to troubleshoot. Thanks.

 

Problem resolved. It was caused by device definition bug on the DLNA server end.


RX-A3030 | Usher MD2 + Klipsch RB51 | Sony BDP-S5100 | HTPC
Zone 2 | Heco Victa 702
Zone 3 | Audiolab 8000A | Rogers LS6a
boxerfan88 is offline  
post #1995 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post


Nice Review.

I hope the discussion of the bass equalization bears fruit.
How does one copy the filters from the external bass equalization programs?
 

Manually.  If you look at the figure posted in the review, you see, for each channel, four boxes, each of which can be edited.  Select a Band (e.g., #1), enter the Frequency, Q and Gain for that filter and then repeat for each needed filter for that channel.  Repeat for each channel.  A little tedious but straight-forward.

RichB likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #1996 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kriktsemaj99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 5,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 155
But the Yamaha might not have filter frequencies close enough to the ones you got from the external EQ program (e.g. if you want a narrow filter at 45Hz but Yamaha only offers you 39.4 or 49.6). So it seems an external miniDSP or other HW solution may still be required (depending on your room).

Still, I hope Yamaha will read that review and treat the crticism of the built-in bass EQ seriously.
kriktsemaj99 is online now  
post #1997 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad Varnadore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Since there is no YPAO optimization thread that I know about, I'll post this here: I finally stopped coughing long enough to run YPAO the other day, four times in fact, as I didn't realize you had to check the multi-measurement option the first time, it still hadn't dawned on me that I had to do the same for the angle-measurement option the second (Yamaha either should set these on by default, considering they can easily be cancelled if you don't want them, or at least be clearer in the onscreen instructions since they seem to think their customers don't mind dragging a computer around with them to have a manual easily accessible - rant over - sorry), and the third time someone shut a door in the house during the 6th or 7th sub measurement, making me fear it threw off the mics reading, and since Yamaha doesn't allow you to redo a single reading by itself, forcing you to cancel them all and start at the beginning, that was another 15 minutes wasted. Anyway, from what I saw of the distance and level results, all four measurements came out the same in that respect. The distances were good, though not as precise as Audyssey, seeming to round to the nearest foot or half foot - which I'm sure is no big deal.

However, the levels were a little off going by HD Basics, which I believe uses TrueHD encoded tones. The front left was only about a half db low, but the surround left and left back surround were both 2-3 dbs low and the right back surround was about 1 db low. Curiously when I used an earlier version of Audyssey, I often found the levels it set were off by 1-3 dbs, which I'd read was an indication that the other readings were likely off too. Audyssey XT was usually (possibly always) dead on in setting levels though, when verified using a Radio Shack analog SPL meter and HD Basics on BD. With the exception of the sub, which was always hot by about 15dbs - which Denon sets as such by default. YPAO also set the sub around 15dbs hot, so I'm guessing that's normal. I remember cranking the sub was recommended at one time, but it's been so long, I don't remember the reason. I usually dial it back down to no more the 5 dbs hot.

Now I'm wondering if I need to run YPAO again, since the levels on the left side were off a few dbs, if that might have affected the EQ readings too. It occured to me that when the HT is in use, all three chairs are usually occupied and thus their feet are kicked out, so I ran YPAO with their feet out - that might've been a mistake.

After reading the above 5000 review, the part about only the front sub (sub 1) being used for 2-channel sources, also has me concerned. I only have one sub, but it's hooked up to the second subwoofer port (it said rear sub on the panel, so I figured why not take it literally if they're going to make a point to label it such, since my sub just so happens to be in the rear corner of the room). Now I'm wondering if both ports are implemented equally on the 3030, if single sub setups should use the top (mislabeled as front rather than subwoofer 1) or if it matters in a single sub configuration and only drops the second sub for 2-channel sources in dual-sub configurations.

Curiously, as JD has said that it's the manufacturer that decides whether speakers default to large or small not the room correction, and others have reported YPAO erroneously setting all their speakers to large, YPAO selectively set my front L/R speakers to large (which I changed to small when copying pattern 1 to pattern 2 in the second pattern setup screen), but set everything else to small (80Hz crossover of the center, 120Hz crossoever for all four dipole surrounds), which seems to possibly further corroborate the notion that the second subwoofer output may not be treated the same as the first.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
***************

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chad Varnadore is offline  
post #1998 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

After reading the above 5000 review, the part about only the front sub (sub 1) being used for 2-channel sources, also has me concerned. I only have one sub, but it's hooked up to the second subwoofer port (it said rear sub on the panel, so I figured why not take it literally if they're going to make a point to label it such). Now I'm wondering if both ports are implemented equally on the 3030, if single sub setups should use the top (mislabeled as front rather than subwoofer 1) or if it matters in a single sub configuration and only drops the second sub for 2-channel sources in dual-sub configurations.

Curiously, as JD has said that it's the manufacturer that decides whether speakers default to large or small not the room correction, and others have reported YPAO erroneously setting all their speakers to large, YPAO selectively set my front L/R speakers to large (which I changed to small in the second pattern setup screen), but set everything else to small (80Hz crossover of the center, 120Hz crossoever for all four dipole surrounds), which seems to possibly further corroborate the notion that the second subwoofer output may not be treated the same as the first.

The CX-A5000 lets the user choose among several options for the dual subs.  I chose "Front (1) / Rear (2)" because that is how I have my subs positioned and, since I listen mostly in 5.1, both are in operation.  The other options were "Stereo" and "Dual Mono."  I would assume, if that choice is not offered, that Dual-Mono would be the default for you since Yamaha cannot know where you put the subs.


Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #1999 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
bad1550's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is this option available on the RX-A 3030?
I have dual subs.
bad1550 is offline  
post #2000 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1550 View Post

Is this option available on the RX-A 3030?
I have dual subs.

Yes (as best I can remember from when I set my 3030 up). I have dual subs in the front of the room with both my RX-3030 system and my CX-A5000 system and that's how I have mine set.
bwillcox is offline  
post #2001 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
bad1550's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

Yes (as best I can remember from when I set my 3030 up). I have dual subs in the front of the room with both my RX-3030 system and my CX-A5000 system and that's how I have mine set.

Can you please assist which menu I need to go to?

I just received my 2nd HSU VTF-15 I placed one in front and the other in back.

Thx
bad1550 is offline  
post #2002 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1550 View Post

Can you please assist which menu I need to go to?

I just received my 2nd HSU VTF-15 I placed one in front and the other in back.

Thx

I'm at work right now, but from memory and with looking at the user manual, you need to go into the Speaker (Manual Setup) dialog box, select Configuration, select SWFR Layout, then set it to your preference: Left + Right, Front + Rear, or Monaural X2.

I could be off by a menu selection or so, but that's the jist of it.
bwillcox is offline  
post #2003 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 1,449
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1550 View Post

I placed one subwoofer in front and the other in back.
Keep in mind. The newest review reported dual subs set as front/rear played as dual mono during movies and front only during 2 channel music. Maybe you can document performance in all three modes. I would assume left/right would be stereo all the time and dual mono would be both active all the time. I believe all three modes perform differently.
kikkenit2 is offline  
post #2004 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Senior Member
 
bad1550's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

I'm at work right now, but from memory and with looking at the user manual, you need to go into the Speaker (Manual Setup) dialog box, select Configuration, select SWFR Layout, then set it to your preference: Left + Right, Front + Rear, or Monaural X2.

I could be off by a menu selection or so, but that's the jist of it.

I will take a look tonight
I appreciate your help.

Bob


Just setup new dual subs and found front back configuration.

Sounds great
bad1550 is offline  
post #2005 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Newbie
 
Cory Krepps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Quick question for utilizing zone 2 audio; here is my proposed setup. 

 

Zone 1: 5.1 (may expand to 7.1 or 7.2 in the future) in the living room. 60" Samsung Smart TV. 


Zone 2: stereo sound via my Samsung 40" TV in the bedroom.

 

Components (all input via HDMI): DirecTV1, DirecTV2, PS4, Xbox1, Apple TV.

 

All wiring is run to a coat closet near the living room; and HDMI run to the bedroom.

 

Is it possible to run HDMI output 1 to my living room and stereo to my bedroom using HDMI output 2? Will I be able to watch a blu-ray in the living room in 5.1 and watch DirecTV in the bedroom using the TV speakers?

Cory Krepps is offline  
post #2006 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 1,449
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Model 1030 and above has dual hdmi out. 2030 and above has 9 channel amp.
kikkenit2 is offline  
post #2007 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 03:09 PM
Newbie
 
Cory Krepps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

Model 1030 and above has dual hdmi out. 2030 and above has 9 channel amp.

As long as the sources are different, it won't step down the living room audio? I.E. PS4 in 5.1 in the living room and DirecTV1 in stereo the bedroom?

Cory Krepps is offline  
post #2008 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ross Ridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
When different sources are selected in the two zones the main zone won't be affected. Only when the same source is selected in both zones will there be a problem. Most TVs only accept 2.0 PCM over HDMI, so the source device will have to switch to stereo audio, and that means you'll only get stereo audio in both zones. If the source doesn't switch to stereo then you'll get multi-channel audio in the main zone, but no audio in the second zone.

You don't need to get an RX-A2030 unless you're connecting the zone 2 speakers directly to the receiver. If you do that however, you'll want the RX-A2030 as the RX-A1030 only supports analogue audio sources with zone 2 speakers.
Cory Krepps likes this.
Ross Ridge is offline  
post #2009 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad Varnadore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Salisbury, NC
Posts: 1,450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I called Yamaha, but don't know what to take away from their techs response to most of my questions. It sounded like a typical phone operator reading from a script, who didn't seem intimately familiar with their actual product. He said he expected an SPL meter to be more accurate than the YPAO mic, but that he had no idea whether or not inaccurate level readings was indicative of the EQ readings as well. But, I don't think he actually knew what an SPL meter was. After 20 minutes on hold, I did at least confirm that copying pattern 1 into pattern 2 was the proper way to copy YPAO settings for manual tweaking. Not to imply that any other similarly sized company is likely any better, but man do I miss the days you could call a company and actually get expert advice about their products.

He also thought plugging the sub into the second preout was probably fine, that having the leg rests kicked out likely had little effect, but, here again, the questions were quite obviously over his head. I think he was just winging it. I'm going to play it safe the next time I have the house to myself: switch the sub preout and rerun YPAO on the assumption it works like Audyssey, in that you've got to keep running it until it gives you verifiably accurate level readings, if you want to ensure it's EQ correction is reasonably accurate as well, as it'll probably be a few more weeks before I've had enough time to study up on REW to dig into the EQ deeper, manually.

BTW, so far the 3030 seems to run cooler under load than my Denon 3808 did acting as a prepro, which is comforting as to it's build. It weighs a pound or two less, but it's actually a bit bigger than the 3808. The verdicts still out on YPAO, but I expect any shortcomings can be compensated for manually, above 31Hz anyway. The few things I've been able to watch so far already sound great, as is, but I'm breaking it in rather gently, like a new car I guess. The hardest I've pushed it was while playing with the DSPs watching a Corrs concert dvd sporting a PCM track the other night. If their default settings weren't cool enough, the adjustability Yamaha has incorporated for their DSPs took them above and beyond.

I've never seen DSPs that could be individually tailored to your liking like these can, nor have I seen user tweaking for Dolby Prologic II or DTS neo 6 in any of my prior Denons. I'm definitely going to have some fun learning this things DSPs. I haven't played with the movie dsps yet, and I don't expect to be quite as enamored with them, but already I can't imagine Yamaha not being at the top of anyone's shortlist who's seriously into music. I don't really know what Sony, Pioneer, or Marantz offers, but none of my past four Denons (3808, 5805, 5800, 5700), the two Sony AVRs I owned before them (ES models, I don't remember the number designate), or my first AVR (some Pioneer model), even half tried to compete on the level of the 3030 in regard to DSPs. The only DSP that seems wanting is one for an open-air concert, instead of an enclosed hall, which I needed for the Corrs concert. I imagine a wide open space might be hard to impossible to simulate with the same measure of fidelity that they put into their other DSPs, especially with a live crowd. I ended up taking the largest hall DSP and maxing the reverb and size constraints, which was surprisingly effective.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
***************

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chad Varnadore is offline  
post #2010 of 3125 Old 03-14-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Espo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Delmarva Peninsula, Maryland
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

I called Yamaha, but don't know what to take away from their techs response to most of my questions. It sounded like a typical phone operator reading from a script, who didn't seem intimately familiar with their actual product. He said he expected an SPL meter to be more accurate than the YPAO mic, but that he had no idea whether or not inaccurate level readings was indicative of the EQ readings as well. But, I don't think he actually knew what an SPL meter was. After 20 minutes on hold, I did at least confirm that copying pattern 1 into pattern 2 was the proper way to copy YPAO settings for manual tweaking. Not to imply that any other similarly sized company is likely any better, but man do I miss the days you could call a company and actually get expert advice about their products.

He also thought plugging the sub into the second preout was probably fine, that having the leg rests kicked out likely had little effect, but, here again, the questions were quite obviously over his head. I think he was just winging it. I'm going to play it safe the next time I have the house to myself: switch the sub preout and rerun YPAO on the assumption it works like Audyssey, in that you've got to keep running it until it gives you verifiably accurate level readings, if you want to ensure it's EQ correction is reasonably accurate as well, as it'll probably be a few more weeks before I've had enough time to study up on REW to dig into the EQ deeper, manually.

BTW, so far the 3030 seems to run cooler under load than my Denon 3808 did acting as a prepro, which is comforting as to it's build. It weighs a pound or two less, but it's actually a bit bigger than the 3808. The verdicts still out on YPAO, but I expect any shortcomings can be compensated for manually, above 31Hz anyway. The few things I've been able to watch so far already sound great, as is, but I'm breaking it in rather gently, like a new car I guess. The hardest I've pushed it was while playing with the DSPs watching a Corrs concert dvd sporting a PCM track the other night. If their default settings weren't cool enough, the adjustability Yamaha has incorporated for their DSPs took them above and beyond.

I've never seen DSPs that could be individually tailored to your liking like these can, nor have I seen user tweaking for Dolby Prologic II or DTS neo 6 in any of my prior Denons. I'm definitely going to have some fun learning this things DSPs. I haven't played with the movie dsps yet, and I don't expect to be quite as enamored with them, but already I can't imagine Yamaha not being at the top of anyone's shortlist who's seriously into music. I don't really know what Sony, Pioneer, or Marantz offers, but none of my past four Denons (3808, 5805, 5800, 5700), the two Sony AVRs I owned before them (ES models, I don't remember the number designate), or my first AVR (some Pioneer model), even half tried to compete on the level of the 3030 in regard to DSPs. The only DSP that seems wanting is one for an open-air concert, instead of an enclosed hall, which I needed for the Corrs concert. I imagine a wide open space might be hard to impossible to simulate with the same measure of fidelity that they put into their other DSPs, especially with a live crowd. I ended up taking the largest hall DSP and maxing the reverb and size constraints, which was surprisingly effective.

The people that can actually answer you are too busy working in a basement with no windows, getting these awesome products out the door. It is up to us geeks and nerds to figure it all out, which is fun! What would they do without us?

Espo77
Espo77 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Rxa2030bl by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off