The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 2973 Old 03-21-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post

I finally got my MX-A500 and CX-A5000 setup. I was running an RX-V1800, and I hadn't touched my HT in a few years , until I decided to upgrade. For speakers I'm running the Paradigm v.5 Monitor line. Monitor 7s, a CC-690, and ADP-390s with mini monitors for the presence speakers and ADP-190s for the back surrounds. I run an ultracube 10 for a sub, and I definitely need better.

My two channel setup with Paradigm studio 100s v.5 with an anthem integrated 225, and I'm thinking of upgrading the monitors to the studios, I think they would compliment the MX-A5000 nicely.

Anyway, here are some pictures

Very nice!

:)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2973 Old 03-21-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Smitty,
Thanks for the response. That's a bummer that I can't run the external dac and use the hdmi. What I have now, although I haven't done an ABX test with it is,

HTPC -> HDMI out -> AV4 CX-A5000
CD Player -> S/PDif Optical out -> Emotiva DC-1 DAC -> Balanced Output -> Audio4 CX-A5000

LIke I said I would much prefer it look like this on the HTPC
HTPC -> HDMI out -> AV4 CX-A5000 for video only
HTPC -> USB out -> DC-1 -> Balanced Output -> Audio4 CX-A5000 for audio in Pure Direct Mode

I'll play with it over the weekend and see if there is any difference that I can hear.

DoTheDog
post #2073 of 2973 Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothedog View Post

Smitty,
Thanks for the response. That's a bummer that I can't run the external dac and use the hdmi. What I have now, although I haven't done an ABX test with it is,

HTPC -> HDMI out -> AV4 CX-A5000
CD Player -> S/PDif Optical out -> Emotiva DC-1 DAC -> Balanced Output -> Audio4 CX-A5000

LIke I said I would much prefer it look like this on the HTPC
HTPC -> HDMI out -> AV4 CX-A5000 for video only
HTPC -> USB out -> DC-1 -> Balanced Output -> Audio4 CX-A5000 for audio in Pure Direct Mode

I'll play with it over the weekend and see if there is any difference that I can hear.

DoTheDog

Just out of curiosity, do you not care about any of the various DSP modes when using your HTPC as the source?
post #2074 of 2973 Old 03-22-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

Just out of curiosity, do you not care about any of the various DSP modes when using your HTPC as the source?

For general music I like the 11 channel stereo, for some music DPL Music is pretty good. I have played with most of them and depending on the type of music YMMV. I did find "music video" seems to highlight the mids a bit which helps on older music. Heck half the fun is just trying out different dap modes. Here's a hint set the output from your PC to just stereo that way it's output is PCM and all dsp's are available. I use media center for movies and music playback and it works great. I have over 1400 albums (yes I own all the cd's) which I put on my server via flac and wma lossless for play back with the Cx-a5000 or my htpc. Even my oppo can stream flac so I'm good all around.

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)
Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #2075 of 2973 Old 03-22-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I played with another concert dvd with the 3030 last night (Fleetwood Mac The Dance), again playing the 2-channel PCM track rather than the DD 5.1 track. Like the previous Corrs concert, I found greater affection for the sound using Yamahas dsps than straight processing, and this one was even more appropriate since it was an enclosed auditorium concert, better suited for the dsps. Surprisingly straight processing made the concert sound rather lifeless by comparison. I'm sure it was largely volume related, as the dsps seemed to amp up certain frequencies. But I didn't have much time to devote to a better diagnostic; it was purely subjective taste based on switching between dsps on the fly with just a few songs.

We also watched our first full-fledged action Blu-ray (Catching Fire). I didn't have a single criticism of the sound, other than I'm thinking about resetting the bass level to YPAO's auto cal. I prefer less thump with music, but for movies the 15 db push might not be all bad. It wasn't lacking bass, but I'm used to a bit more, as Audyssey with the Denon also set lf levels 15db high, though I didn't realize it until recently.

I was actually surprised at how articulate everything sounded. I was able to completely forget that one of my ears is almost completely closed at the moment. Based on tweaks I made with an SPL meter after running YPAO, I'm guessing we were watching around 68 dbs. I have my doubts about YPAO's settings, but after last nights movie, I'm in less of a rush to test it out; YPAO may be more capable than I thought.

I wonder if YPAO and Audyssey take a different approach to room correction, since most of YPAO's corrections when up, where most of Audyssey XT's corrections went down.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #2076 of 2973 Old 03-22-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

I played with another concert dvd with the 3030 last night (Fleetwood Mac The Dance), again playing the 2-channel PCM track rather than the DD 5.1 track. Like the previous Corrs concert, I found greater affection for the sound using Yamahas dsps than straight processing, and this one was even more appropriate since it was an enclosed auditorium concert, better suited for the dsps. Surprisingly straight processing made the concert sound rather lifeless by comparison. I'm sure it was largely volume related, as the dsps seemed to amp up certain frequencies. But I didn't have much time to devote to a better diagnostic; it was purely subjective taste based on switching between dsps on the fly with just a few songs.

We also watched our first full-fledged action Blu-ray (Catching Fire). I didn't have a single criticism of the sound, other than I'm thinking about resetting the bass level to YPAO's auto cal. I prefer less thump with music, but for movies the 15 db push might not be all bad. It wasn't lacking bass, but I'm used to a bit more, as Audyssey with the Denon also set lf levels 15db high, though I didn't realize it until recently.

I was actually surprised at how articulate everything sounded. I was able to completely forget that one of my ears is almost completely closed at the moment. Based on tweaks I made with an SPL meter after running YPAO, I'm guessing we were watching around 68 dbs. I have my doubts about YPAO's settings, but after last nights movie, I'm in less of a rush to test it out; YPAO may be more capable than I thought.

I wonder if YPAO and Audyssey take a different approach to room correction, since most of YPAO's corrections when up, where most of Audyssey XT's corrections went down.

So you are saying that the DSP modes on the Yamaha 3030 actually sound better than the same thing played back in DD 5.1?

:confused:

post #2077 of 2973 Old 03-22-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

So you are saying that the DSP modes on the Yamaha 3030 actually sound better than the same thing played back in DD 5.1?

confused.gif

Nope. I'm saying, of the two concerts I've listened to so far with the 3030, I've subjectively preferred one or another of Yamaha's DSPs to "straight" 2.0 audio processing, so far. In the case of the Corrs, I also preferred Yamahas DSPs to Dolby PLIIx music. PCM was chosen because I expect better fidelity, I'm assuming the 5.1 mix is likely derived from an original stereo recording, especially with Fleetwood Mac, hence the reason for their inclusion in lossless PCM 2.0 rather than lossy DD 2.0. I've yet to try any music DSPs with a concert on BD with lossless multichannel surround. I'm eager to try it, but I don't expect to be as enamored. I also haven't really experimented with their movie DSPs yet.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #2078 of 2973 Old 03-22-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Nope. I'm saying, of the two concerts I've listened to so far with the 3030, I've subjectively preferred one or another of Yamaha's DSPs to "straight" 2.0 audio processing, so far. In the case of the Corrs, I also preferred Yamahas DSPs to Dolby PLIIx music. PCM was chosen because I expect better fidelity, I'm assuming the 5.1 mix is likely derived from an original stereo recording, especially with Fleetwood Mac, hence the reason for their inclusion in lossless PCM 2.0 rather than lossy DD 2.0. I've yet to try any music DSPs with a concert on BD with lossless multichannel surround. I'm eager to try it, but I don't expect to be as enamored. I also haven't really experimented with their movie DSPs yet.

LOL, oh, because I got rather excited when that is what I thought you meant...

:p

post #2079 of 2973 Old 03-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

confused.gif

Haha, I never listen to straight DD 5.1 anymore. I prefer the sound when all 11.2 of my channels are participating. biggrin.gif

I do listen to two channel stereo from time to time (usually in pure direct mode when playing a stereo SACD on my Sony SCD-1). But most fo the time I prefer a multichannel presentation. Reminds me more of what a live concert sounds like to me, rather than a 1960's stereo compromise.
post #2080 of 2973 Old 03-23-2014, 05:44 AM

Hey blue dragon,
Nice set up.wink.gif I'm wondering where you got your entertaionment center. I'm looking right now for one. In the basement so it doesn't have to be expensive. The problem is the 3030 from front of volume knob to back of binding posts is 20". Everything that is not an open back is generally only around 18". Then you have the banana plugs to stick out another inch. Just curious:rolleyes:
post #2081 of 2973 Old 03-23-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL, oh, because I got rather excited when that is what I thought you meant...

tongue.gif

I'm not saying it wouldn't sound better than lossy DD 5.1. Again, I expect better fidelity of 2-channel PCM over DD 5.1, assuming the original recording is stereo. Whether the tonal character is somehow diminished or compromised by adding DSP processing, I don't know. I haven't heard anything to indicate such might be the case so far. There are some apparent mixing errors in the Corrs concerts 5.1 track though, that aren't present in the 2.0 PCM track. Stereo pcm with DSPs proved just as enveloping as any 5.1 concert track I've heard. Though, some 5.1 concerts will add more directionality to the rear, awkwardly misplaced as such may sometimes sound. Well mixed 6-8 channel concert mixes encoded in PCM or lossless dts MA or TrueHD may prove less rewarding, or so I'd suspect.

Quote:

Haha, I never listen to straight DD 5.1 anymore. I prefer the sound when all 11.2 of my channels are participating. biggrin.gif

I do listen to two channel stereo from time to time (usually in pure direct mode when playing a stereo SACD on my Sony SCD-1). But most fo the time I prefer a multichannel presentation. Reminds me more of what a live concert sounds like to me, rather than a 1960's stereo compromise.

Yamaha's music DSPs are doing just that: untilizing your entire speaker array for reproduction of the sound. They appear to be four channel stereo driven, as angle correction only takes readings from the front mains and the rear side surrounds. In our eight channel system, the center and rear back surrounds seem to be used primarily for added light ambience.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #2082 of 2973 Old 03-23-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblev View Post

Hey blue dragon,
Nice set up.wink.gif I'm wondering where you got your entertaionment center. I'm looking right now for one. In the basement so it doesn't have to be expensive. The problem is the 3030 from front of volume knob to back of binding posts is 20". Everything that is not an open back is generally only around 18". Then you have the banana plugs to stick out another inch. Just curious:rolleyes:

Have you ever thought about going the DIY route, end the end that is how I got my equipment the fit the way I wanted. I made mine out of 80/20 aluminum and couldn't be happier. My profile has pictures of the one I built for my entertainment room and one I built for the wifes room as well.

Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
post #2083 of 2973 Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:

I'm with Bwillcox on this one, my system sounds the best for music in 11.2 (well actually 9.2 as I don't run rear presence speakers). The only time I change it is when running SACD or DVD Audio disks, then I run it in "straight" mode. The one thing is depending on how the media was mixed you may have to lower your subs a bit as some SACD and DVD Audio disks run 10db hot on the LFE channel.

post #2084 of 2973 Old 03-23-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Hey blue dragon,

Its a techcraft veneto unit, its just deep enough to handle the CX-A5000 and MX-A5000 with banana plugs, and XLR cables

http://www.amazon.com/TechCraft-TCL6228-62-Inch-Panel-Credenza/dp/B003FXKO9G/ref=sr_1_7?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1395603335&sr=1-7&keywords=techcraft+veneto

Paradigm v.5 speakers: Studio 100s - Fronts, Studio CC-690 - Center , ADP-590s - Surround.
Pardigm V.4 speakers: Studio 20s - Rear Surround
Pre/Pro - Yamaha CX-A5000, AMP - Yamaha MX-A5000
TV - Samsung UNDF658000
post #2085 of 2973 Old 03-23-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8451 View Post

Have you ever thought about going the DIY route, end the end that is how I got my equipment the fit the way I wanted. I made mine out of 80/20 aluminum and couldn't be happier. My profile has pictures of the one I built for my entertainment room and one I built for the wifes room as well.

That looks real nice. I will never have that much equipment, not even close.eek.gif Did you make the plans or from a company? I think I like the look better of the classic style with doors and some open compartment.
post #2086 of 2973 Old 03-23-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post

Its a techcraft veneto unit, its just deep enough to handle the CX-A5000 and MX-A5000 with banana plugs, and XLR cables

http://www.amazon.com/TechCraft-TCL6228-62-Inch-Panel-Credenza/dp/B003FXKO9G/ref=sr_1_7?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1395603335&sr=1-7&keywords=techcraft+veneto

Thank you, They look great. Now I'm in the middle of the 62", a bit long and the 48" which is the right size, but all doors. I have to look deeper into what else they have. I'd like the avr not to be behind a door.
They look great though.
Thanks again
post #2087 of 2973 Old 03-23-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:

That looks real nice. I will never have that much equipment, not even close.eek.gif Did you make the plans or from a company? I think I like the look better of the classic style with doors and some open compartment.

The nice thing about strutted aluminum is you can just about design anything and then overlay wood, composites, glass ect. They make hinges that fit into the aluminum so doors can also be made. Salamander is a company who makes there furniture out of it also and there website has a tool that allows you to design your own stand (using there product) but it will give you a good idea on what can be built.smile.gif

post #2088 of 2973 Old 03-24-2014, 07:58 AM

Liked: 20
post #2089 of 2973 Old 03-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

My living room (home theater smile.gif ) setup consists of two pieces of an old etagere from the early '70s (and it looks it) that I'm still using. For my Den I purchased a TV console from Standout Designs that is fabulous (though pretty pricey). I got the Natural Walnut version of this one:

http://www.standoutdesigns.com/collections/haven-solid-wood-tv-consoles-media-stands/products/haven-72-solid-wood-tv-console-media-stand

As a hobiest woodworker, I was really impressed with the construction. It is made of all solid walnut. The only non-walnut parts are the three panels that cover the back (made from high quality walnut veneered plywood) and the vented glass shelves.

post #2090 of 2973 Old 03-24-2014, 06:04 PM

Hey guys,
Thanks for the input and links. Right now I'm leaning towards the Techcraft like Blue Dragon has. Some of those are real nice, honestly too pricey. It's in a basement, and my basement is nice, just not that nice and I'm the only one down there 95% of the time. Going to look just a bit more then make my mind up.
It only took me two years to get my 3030.
Actually bought it from Film Maker.
Very happy with it. Just bought some Cambridge Minx 21's for surrounds. got them broke in and need to redo YPAO (after I get a cabinet)., and get this thing running the way I want.
Thanks again,
post #2091 of 2973 Old 03-24-2014, 06:11 PM

Film Mixer, I'm sorry, I'm wrong.
post #2092 of 2973 Old 03-24-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, this thread has gone off the rails...

Jond0 likes this.
post #2093 of 2973 Old 03-25-2014, 04:25 AM

Just got a a2030 and I'm happy about it except for a few things that I don't get, like why no wifi not happy with having to use a wired connection from my office.

And a question, Is there a setting for the onscreen UI it seems to be low resolution/terrible quality (blurry/smudged)

post #2094 of 2973 Old 03-25-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoho View Post

Just got a a2030 and I'm happy about it except for a few things that I don't get, like why no wifi not happy with having to use a wired connection from my office.

And a question, Is there a setting for the onscreen UI it seems to be low resolution/terrible quality (blurry/smudged)
You can probably buy a wireless adaptor. The blurry UI is probably due to a source setting.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2095 of 2973 Old 03-25-2014, 06:02 AM

What I meant was the menu and text that looks like it's 320x200 upscaled ;) the picture is 1080 the background is very crisp it's just the text - i assume it's supposed to be like that and I can live with it it just seems odd.

post #2096 of 2973 Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoho View Post

What I meant was the menu and text that looks like it's 320x200 upscaled wink.gif the picture is 1080 the background is very crisp it's just the text - i assume it's supposed to be like that and I can live with it it just seems odd.
Mine doesnt look blurry. It looks as sharp as any text on news channels or sports scores. Is your source a pc?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #2097 of 2973 Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

You can probably buy a wireless adaptor. The blurry UI is probably due to a source setting.

Yeah, Yamaha sells one: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/accessories/ywa-10_w/?mode=model that you could get.

Personally, I find builtin wireless to be problematic and prefer either hard-wiring (where feasible) or using a wireless bridge such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062K5JAI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that I've had great success with. I connect an ethernet switch to it and then plug my various devices into the switch. This has the added advantages that I only have to setup the wireless in the one (bridge) device, and if necessary I can move it around a bit to improved reception (wireless signals don't like walls or other obstacles).
post #2098 of 2973 Old 03-25-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Mine doesnt look blurry. It looks as sharp as any text on news channels or sports scores. Is your source a pc?

This is without even having a source, it's the menu thing, the menu background looks just fine and is high-res but the text looks poor, but it's just a minor thing.

Quote:

Yeah, Yamaha sells one: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/accessories/ywa-10_w/?mode=model that you could get.

Personally, I find builtin wireless to be problematic and prefer either hard-wiring (where feasible) or using a wireless bridge such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062K5JAI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that I've had great success with. I connect an ethernet switch to it and then plug my various devices into the switch. This has the added advantages that I only have to setup the wireless in the one (bridge) device, and if necessary I can move it around a bit to improved reception (wireless signals don't like walls or other obstacles).

I'll see if I can find that in Europe somewhere.

Most of my other devices use wifi just fine like my Cambridge BlueRay and Apple TV, never once had any problems with them.

post #2099 of 2973 Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 AM

BWilcox,
On 2 channel music, I rip all of my CDs in flac lossless and prefer to listen to the music "unmolested" by DSP. I have been playing it in PureDirect mode on Straight. For movies, I have played with some but for music I prefer it as close to what the artist intended as possible.

DoTheDog
post #2100 of 2973 Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothedog View Post

BWilcox,
On 2 channel music, I rip all of my CDs in flac lossless and prefer to listen to the music "unmolested" by DSP. I have been playing it in PureDirect mode on Straight. For movies, I have played with some but for music I prefer it as close to what the artist intended as possible.

DoTheDog

I thought so. I too have (finally) finished ripping all 3000+ of my CDs to flac. I've also ripped my DVD-Audios (only about 70 of these) to multichannel flac. Unlike you, I don't feel that the DSP modes that I use (some do, I admit) "molest" the sound. Of course, we all seem to hear and enjoy our music in a very personal way. As Paul Simon once sang "One man's ceiling is another man's floor".
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page