The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2851 of 3131 Old 07-07-2014, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anybody with any suggestions about using the B&K or is the 3030 just as powerful? Calling Yamaha about the mic today.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 3131 Old 07-07-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

I've just (yesterday) set up an A1030 in a 2.0 setup with a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8 tower speakers. I haven't yet run YPAO as I understand it's good to 'burn in' the speakers first. My room is fairly small and oddly shaped so a whole surround setup not practical. No place even for a sub or center channel. So I went with a pair of towers that can reproduce decent bass frequencies.

Anyway, music is the main focus of this gear -- and I'm very happy with the sound via audio sources -- but I have also routed my tv and blu ray through the Yamaha and finding that most of the out-of-the-box settings and presets sound very 'wrong' with my rig. Movie presets like 'Sci Fi' and 'Drama' are largely missing dialog but with music and fx highly accentuated -- also a lot of washed out reverb like you'd get if you were talking softly in a cement mixer...) I'm guessing this is because Cinema DSP 3d (or whatever it's called) thinks I have more speakers setup than I do. The '7 channel audio' preset bypasses cinema dsp 3d and sounds pretty good with tv and movies so I've been using that in the interim but hoping for advice regarding a good long-term solution.

So....once I run YPAO and tell it I have only 2 speakers will it reconfigure all the presets for a 2.0 setup and make them all available or do I have to stick with a more limited palette? Also, should I just disable Cinema DSP altogether or will it become an asset once YPAO is run?

This is my first A/V receiver and I'm having fun experimenting and figuring it out, but if you guys could point me in the right direction as well it would be great.

thanks.
post #2853 of 3131 Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keasley View Post
Hi All,

I've just (yesterday) set up an A1030 in a 2.0 setup with a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8 tower speakers. I haven't yet run YPAO as I understand it's good to 'burn in' the speakers first. My room is fairly small and oddly shaped so a whole surround setup not practical. No place even for a sub or center channel. So I went with a pair of towers that can reproduce decent bass frequencies.

Anyway, music is the main focus of this gear -- and I'm very happy with the sound via audio sources -- but I have also routed my tv and blu ray through the Yamaha and finding that most of the out-of-the-box settings and presets sound very 'wrong' with my rig. Movie presets like 'Sci Fi' and 'Drama' are largely missing dialog but with music and fx highly accentuated -- also a lot of washed out reverb like you'd get if you were talking softly in a cement mixer...) I'm guessing this is because Cinema DSP 3d (or whatever it's called) thinks I have more speakers setup than I do. The '7 channel audio' preset bypasses cinema dsp 3d and sounds pretty good with tv and movies so I've been using that in the interim but hoping for advice regarding a good long-term solution.

So....once I run YPAO and tell it I have only 2 speakers will it reconfigure all the presets for a 2.0 setup and make them all available or do I have to stick with a more limited palette? Also, should I just disable Cinema DSP altogether or will it become an asset once YPAO is run?

This is my first A/V receiver and I'm having fun experimenting and figuring it out, but if you guys could point me in the right direction as well it would be great.

thanks.
Keasley,
Go to on screen>setup>manual setup>configuration. There you can turn off all the speakers except the fronts. This should get rid of the issues with missing dialog. Right now it's sending the dialog to a center speaker that isn't there. I don't believe you need to hold off on running ypao for any speaker burn in.
post #2854 of 3131 Old 07-07-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
Just purchased the 3030. I am running 9.1 with the AVR and zone 2 and 3 with my 5 channel B&K AV 5000 series II amp. Should I use the B&K to run the front 2 or 3 as it is probably more robust (125w @8ohm...conservatively)? And if I do, will the 3030 power the other 2 zones with its on board amps? Also that little triangular little YPAO accessory that comes with the mike is a different size screw mount compared to the mike. Is it defective or amI missing something. I just used the mike on my tripod to calibrate until I find out.

Thanks
No longer need answers for above as I just spoke with Yamaha and their amp section is very limited on its flexibility in regards to assignment. I will have to use the B&K as an amp for my zones. I do have a question about using 9.1 I notice how yamaha uses the term "presence" as opposed to wide and height. Can the presence speakers be used as wide?
post #2855 of 3131 Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie View Post
Keasley,
Go to on screen>setup>manual setup>configuration. There you can turn off all the speakers except the fronts. This should get rid of the issues with missing dialog. Right now it's sending the dialog to a center speaker that isn't there. I don't believe you need to hold off on running ypao for any speaker burn in.
Yup, that made a huge difference. Thanks!
post #2856 of 3131 Old 07-07-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
No longer need answers for above as I just spoke with Yamaha and their amp section is very limited on its flexibility in regards to assignment. I will have to use the B&K as an amp for my zones. I do have a question about using 9.1 I notice how yamaha uses the term "presence" as opposed to wide and height. Can the presence speakers be used as wide?
Never mind all of that! The people at Yamaha don't even know their equipment. I figured it out myself. YES you can configure the 3030 to run 6 or the 7 main zone speakers as well as Zone 2 while using an external amp to run the front 2 or 3. It is the 9.1/Zone setting that accomplishes this. It now works perfectly. Now learning how to make the best of this system will take a lot of studying and trial and error as the user manual is slightly helpful at best. At-least it is better than Yamaha phone support.
post #2857 of 3131 Old 07-08-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have always thought that Yamaha phone support is as good or better than any other company out there. Certainly better than Comcast.

Just my 2 cents
post #2858 of 3131 Old 07-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I haven't had to deal with them lately (after 20+ years of using Yamaha gear, I sorta have it figured out for myself now), but when I did they were both responsive and helpful. Of course YMMV, but they certainly aren't the worst (try AT&T, DirecTV, etc.).
billmich likes this.
post #2859 of 3131 Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 80
audio.hobby,

What about the mic issue?

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #2860 of 3131 Old 07-08-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
audio.hobby,

What about the mic issue?

I just forced the base mic onto the tripod stand and it works perfectly now.
post #2861 of 3131 Old 07-08-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
I haven't had to deal with them lately (after 20+ years of using Yamaha gear, I sorta have it figured out for myself now), but when I did they were both responsive and helpful. Of course YMMV, but they certainly aren't the worst (try AT&T, DirecTV, etc.).
They were responsive, but did not know how to configure my set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I have always thought that Yamaha phone support is as good or better than any other company out there. Certainly better than Comcast.

Just my 2 cents
Certainly better than Dell, I got people who actually spoke English
post #2862 of 3131 Old 07-09-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The CX-A5000 has arrived and is setup for the most part! Just waiting on my other amp which will power the surrounds and zone speakers. I will report back later once its fully functional.

Quick question.....
Anyone know more about the DAC filter options ( 3 in total)? I was unable to find much material online about them. Thoughts?
post #2863 of 3131 Old 07-09-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I already own a RX-A1030, and I am considering an upgrade to the 1040 because of the HDMI 2.0 support. However, I am confused. The specs for the 1030 on the Yamaha site say for video features

Quote:
4K Ultra HD Pass-through and upscaling Yes (50/60p)
and I see that the release notes for the 1030's 1.41 firmware state

Quote:
Supports 4K Ultra HD 50Hz/60Hz 4:2:0 signals pass-through transmission

So, did the 1030 support the features of HDMI 2.0 including 50/60p 4K upscaling already and all that was needed is the firmware update to enable them? Seems to be very likely this was the case and that it would not be in my best interests to update to the 1040 as the specs seem virtually identical.

Any thoughts?
post #2864 of 3131 Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

The devil is in the detail!

True UHD and HDMI 2.0 support 4K 50/60Hz with RGB 4:4:4 (8-bit color), i.e. no chroma subsampling. It also supports an expanded colorspace as good as or even greater than that of film (Rec. 2020) which, once display devices fully support it, should allow significantly improved color representation.

As you can see the 1030, due to the bandwidth limitations of HDMI 1.4 (and, almost certainly, of the chipset too) supports 4K 50/60Hz with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, i.e one quarter of the color information. Now 4:2:0 is the same as that encoded onto blu-ray, so it is hardly "bad". On the other hand, the improved color representation possible with UHD/HDMI 2.0 is considered by some more important than the increased resolution, which even with a 65" TV is probably unnoticeable at normal viewing distances!

So, the choice is yours, to stick with the 1030 and not be able to pass "true" UHD or go for the 1040 with HDMI 2.0.

(HDMI 2.0 also supports more discrete channels of audio, although that is probably moot with the 1030/1040.)
wiyosaya likes this.

Last edited by jong1; 07-09-2014 at 10:40 AM.
post #2865 of 3131 Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 107
You sound like you know a lot about UHD, jong1. But I am still missing the point about UHD. Are there any sources which require this so called "true UHD" and HDMI 2.0? In other words, won't you need a source which can send RGB 4:4:4 and/or at 60hz?

I haven't read anything which suggests I will care about UHD. I might buy a 4K TV next, why not, but I would likely be relying on the TV upconverting Blu-ray video, game console video and such.

I might want a higher def. monitor for my PC at some point, but only if my video cards support it, and I won't use it with a receiver.

Streaming UHD seems pointless until someone explains to me why I care about UHD on a compressed video stream.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #2866 of 3131 Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that's the thing. At this point going HDMI 2.0 and UHD is all about, the somewhat mythical, "future proofing". No one knows for sure there will even be a new physical format which supports 4K/UHD (unless the really knowledgeable guys here know better!). There will almost certainly be UHD set top boxes for satellite/cable TV (Sky in the UK has already been testing 4K sport broadcasts) and I am sure in time there will be UHD dongles (like Chromecast) for online media sources like Netflix.

There are, of course, the UHD media servers such as those available from Sony. But, although I don't know for sure, I think they have mostly (all?) 24p content and are probably 4:2:0 encoded anyway, so may (emphasis on the may!) work with a firmware-upgraded x030 series AVR anyway.

Whether ANY of this matters to you is of course the most important thing. From what you are saying it sounds like sticking with what you have until you have a UHD TV that supports all this good stuff and a 4K source you want to use with it seems be best course, but "only you who know!".
wiyosaya likes this.

Last edited by jong1; 07-09-2014 at 11:01 AM.
post #2867 of 3131 Old 07-09-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I don't think you can buy anything this year that's very "future proof". The x040 models apparently don't have HDCP 2.2, so as soon as there's any protected 4K content it won't pass through the receiver. Also the 2040 and 3040 are promised Dolby Atmos support in a firmware upgrade, but it will be a fairly basic implementaion (e.g. not using actual measured speaker locations), and the DTS answer to Atmos is still an unknown quantity so may get no support at all in this year's models.

After a fairly long period of stability in terms of new audio codecs and HDMI versions, things are now in a state of flux and this year doesn't look like a good time to upgrade.
wiyosaya likes this.
post #2868 of 3131 Old 07-09-2014, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I read something about NVidia sending 4K content over hdmi 1.4 on one of the more recent video cards and it is my understanding that they are doing the same thing with the color sampling.

It does sound like "future proofing" at this point is going to be a challenge since the state of things is in flux. Right now, I cannot see upgrading to then have to upgrade when HDCP 2.2 comes out.
post #2869 of 3131 Old 07-09-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

You will see in my post a page or so back, I agree. I have decided to sit this round out and see what 2015 brings! I could only watch House of Cards so many times anyway!
post #2870 of 3131 Old 07-10-2014, 01:03 PM

Liked: 10
Is there any way to make my 3030 pass a 1360 X 768 resolution without rescaling it? (Receiver's video mode is set to "Direct")

I am using my PC as a source and my TV's native resolution is 1360 X 768. If I connect my PC directly to the TV, I can get it to show in native resolution and it looks great, but if I go through the receiver and have my PC outputting the TV's native resolution, the receiver converts it to 1080i and it makes fonts look blurry and bad on the TV.

I also tried setting the PC to output standard 720p and that looks just as bad.
post #2871 of 3131 Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 155
^ You are probably out of luck, because these receivers are really intended to be used with standard HD resolutions (1080i/p or 720p).
post #2872 of 3131 Old 07-12-2014, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am having a problem with my RX-A2030 playing WAV files. I have most of my music collection stored as MP3s on my computer. I have no trouble playing them back on the receiver. I decided to re-rip my music collection as WAV files. When I play them back the music will start playing but the time will stay at 0:00. Several seconds later the time will change to 0:04 momentarily and then it will skip to the next song. It will do this for about 3 to 5 songs in a row and then work properly for this next song. The time it works correctly the time will start counting at two or three seconds.

I have not added any streaming software to my computer so I assume I am using Windows Media Server. I have a fast router (AC standard), the receiver is wired to the router and the computer is connected to the router via wireless N. My next step is to connect the computer to the router with an ethernet cable.

Has anybody seen this before or have any suggestions?
post #2873 of 3131 Old 07-12-2014, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcrone View Post
I am having a problem with my RX-A2030 playing WAV files. I have most of my music collection stored as MP3s on my computer. I have no trouble playing them back on the receiver. I decided to re-rip my music collection as WAV files. When I play them back the music will start playing but the time will stay at 0:00. Several seconds later the time will change to 0:04 momentarily and then it will skip to the next song. It will do this for about 3 to 5 songs in a row and then work properly for this next song. The time it works correctly the time will start counting at two or three seconds.

I have not added any streaming software to my computer so I assume I am using Windows Media Server. I have a fast router (AC standard), the receiver is wired to the router and the computer is connected to the router via wireless N. My next step is to connect the computer to the router with an ethernet cable.

Has anybody seen this before or have any suggestions?
Another data point. I get this behavior when I command the receiver to get the music from the server (my PC). When I go to Windows Media Player and tell it to Play To the receiver it works correctly.
post #2874 of 3131 Old 07-12-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
BI-Amping

Hi, I just purchased these units and found a limitation or setting issue.

I am trying to bi-amp a single set of front speakers, allowing for a set of front presence, normal and rear surrounds.

So I am after a 7.2 configuration and the best I've been able to do is a 5.2 config

_____FPR---FPL
FR---SWR--SWL---FL
SR------------------SL
____RSR-----RSL

Last edited by Davis Bacon; 07-12-2014 at 03:29 PM.
post #2875 of 3131 Old 07-12-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Bacon View Post
Hi, I just purchased these units and found a limitation or setting issue.

I am trying to bi-amp a single set of front speakers, allowing for a set of front presence, normal and rear surrounds.

So I am after a 7.2 configuration and the the best I been able to do is a 5.2

_____FPR---FPL
FR---SWR--SWL---FL
SR------------------SL
____RSR-----RSL
You cannot run 7.2 and biamp. The AVR only has 7 amplified channels. Good news is biamping is a waste of time.
post #2876 of 3131 Old 07-12-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
You cannot run 7.2 and biamp. The AVR only has 7 amplified channels. Good news is bi-amping is a waste of time.
Ouch, not what I had expected! Should've thought about this a little more before buying these units.
post #2877 of 3131 Old 07-12-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Bacon View Post
Ouch, not what I had expected! Should've thought about this a little more before buying these units.
They are all that way. If you want to biamp and run 7.2 you need an external amplifier or a 9.2 AVR.
post #2878 of 3131 Old 07-12-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You can biamp the fronts with the MX-A5000 + CX-A5000 combo when running 7.2 or even 9.2 (front presence).

Paradigm v.5 speakers: Studio 100s - Fronts, Studio CC-690 - Center , ADP-590s - Surround.
Pardigm V.4 speakers: Studio 20s - Rear Surround, Sub12
Pre/Pro - Yamaha CX-A5000, AMP - Yamaha MX-A5000
TV - Samsung UNDF658000
post #2879 of 3131 Old 07-12-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
You can biamp the fronts with the MX-A5000 + CX-A5000 combo when running 7.2 or even 9.2 (front presence).
I tried most all switch settings, it wouldn't see any Front or Rear Presence speakers
post #2880 of 3131 Old 07-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
A quick question for RX-A3030 or CX-A5000 owners about the RAV423 remote. Do all of the buttons light up on this remote (like the input and volume buttons) or only some of the buttons. I have not been able to check one out in person.

Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Rxa2030bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page