The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A5000 Thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 3111 Old 07-12-2014, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1030, RX-A2030, RX-A3030 and CX-A5000/MX-A...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcrone View Post
I am having a problem with my RX-A2030 playing WAV files. I have most of my music collection stored as MP3s on my computer. I have no trouble playing them back on the receiver. I decided to re-rip my music collection as WAV files. When I play them back the music will start playing but the time will stay at 0:00. Several seconds later the time will change to 0:04 momentarily and then it will skip to the next song. It will do this for about 3 to 5 songs in a row and then work properly for this next song. The time it works correctly the time will start counting at two or three seconds.

I have not added any streaming software to my computer so I assume I am using Windows Media Server. I have a fast router (AC standard), the receiver is wired to the router and the computer is connected to the router via wireless N. My next step is to connect the computer to the router with an ethernet cable.

Has anybody seen this before or have any suggestions?

Have been struggling with this for a few months. Only workaround I have tested is backup config/INIT ALL/reload config.

RX-A3030 | Usher MD2 + Klipsch RB51 | Sony BDP-S5100 | HTPC
Zone 2 | Heco Victa 702
Zone 3 | Audiolab 8000A | Rogers LS6a

Last edited by boxerfan88; 07-13-2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 3111 Old 07-13-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerfan88 View Post
Have been struggling with this for a few months. Only workaround I have tested is backup config/INIT ALL/reload config.
Thanks for the instructions. At first I tried converting some albums to FLAC. I also used a different media server, Serviio. But the results were no different. I tried your suggestion and now it works perfectly. Unfortunately I screwed something up during the backup/restore process and had to reenter all my settings.

Have you spoke to Yamaha about this problem? It's obviously not a network issue if setting it back to factory settings cures it. Anyhow, thank you very much for your help. Don't know if I would've ever tried that on my own.
post #2883 of 3111 Old 07-14-2014, 03:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Thanks for the instructions. At first I tried converting some albums to FLAC. I also used a different media server, Serviio. But the results were no different. I tried your suggestion and now it works perfectly. Unfortunately I screwed something up during the backup/restore process and had to reenter all my settings.

Have you spoke to Yamaha about this problem? It's obviously not a network issue if setting it back to factory settings cures it. Anyhow, thank you very much for your help. Don't know if I would've ever tried that on my own.
Glad the workaround helped. Yamaha (asia) is aware, and still looking into it. They think it is my network environment that is congested. Good thing is their tech was at my home, unplugged everything from my home network and only hooked up to their router (source material attached to the router via usb stick) and the problem was still there. The tech took a video to send back to Japan. I think you should also report to Yamaha in your country... just to make sure they know that this problem exist in other countries as well.
post #2884 of 3111 Old 07-14-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerfan88 View Post
Glad the workaround helped. Yamaha (asia) is aware, and still looking into it. They think it is my network environment that is congested. Good thing is their tech was at my home, unplugged everything from my home network and only hooked up to their router (source material attached to the router via usb stick) and the problem was still there. The tech took a video to send back to Japan. I think you should also report to Yamaha in your country... just to make sure they know that this problem exist in other countries as well.
I called them on Saturday and the tech was also pointing to my network. He was a level 1 tech. Their level 2 technicians don't arrive for another couple of hours, but it's on my to do list for today. Since it took a reset of the receiver to cure this problem I don't know how they can point to the network environment. I'll keep you posted.
post #2885 of 3111 Old 07-14-2014, 10:28 AM

Liked: 10
In the nick of time

I received my A1030 on Saturday after several on again off again messages from FedEx. So that's 3-day free shipping from Florida to Illinois, not too shabby. Most of Saturday was spent unhooking, cleaning and reconfiguring all of my components from the dying HK AVR520. Friday night the crackling and static was starting to creep in even at normal listening levels, so I felt relieved when the replacement showed up.

Most of the day on Sunday was spent auditioning the new connections, upgrading the firmware and calibrating the PEQ. I was not overly impressed with the YPAO-RSC auto set up. It did correctly identify the "size" and distance of my speaker configuration and not to far off setting the relative levels, which was useful. My HT room is an acoustic nightmare, it's architecturally interesting with open walls, vaulted 16ft. ceiling, not a whole lot of right angles anywhere. However, its a bear to configure. So, I played around with the PEQ curves until I got the FR, C, FL, RR, RL all to their sweet spots. As somebody has mentioned before, the A1030 doesn't EQ the SW. Luckily mine comes with its own PEQ controls and calibration kit. After spending most of the day tinkering and tweaking, I finally sat down to watch Gravity, which I had recorded on the PVR.

Wow, I was blown away by the soundstage. The movie's soundtrack has challenging dynamics; which could lead to listening fatigue, but it all felt very enveloping and immersive without being an assault on the senses. I was particularly looking forward to the ending, which another poster here had been remarking about the flies buzzing around overhead through an enhanced ceiling speaker system. While not quite as remarkable as that, I certainly got the feeling that the sounds were coming from behind and then circling overhead. The Cinema DSP did a good job of emulating front presence speakers.

I also watched a few things on the FireTV just to be sure there weren't any Dolby Digital Plus decoding issues. It worked perfectly, as did the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround from the ATV3. I don't have Netflix, so I can't comment on this. I liked the popup menu function which identifies the sound source and codec. I kept enabling every time I switched inputs, just to see how the audio was being delivered to the AVR (kind of geeky, I know).

Finally, I wanted to check out the audio capability while listening to music. I used the network input to find my Twonky DLNA NAS. It played every compatible music source without issue. I have the Byrne and Eno "Everything That Happens" FLAC download which sounded fantastic through the pure direct setting. I played around with the straight and 2ch-stereo settings, but settled on the pure direct.

Same thing with a DVD-Audio of "Once" by Nightwish through the analog multichannel input from my vintage Samsung HD841. I really wanted to listen to the "A Day in New York" DVD-Audio from Ryuichi Sakamoto, but I couldn't locate my cache of DVD-A. That particular recording has an amazing presence, where you feel like you're sitting right on stage with the performers. I couldn't find my Peter Gabriel SACDs either, but I am sure they will sound equally fantastic.

Finally, the iPad app is a godsend. I can control the system from anywhere in the house. This is especially appreciated when the phone rings and I am blasting music on a different level of the house.

A few things I'm slightly disappointed in, like the Spotify Connect implementation. I'll be sticking to the ATV3 airplay version, thank you. In fact all of the internet audio graphics look like they were written in DOS; clunky, chunky, the only thing missing is an overabundance of cyan. Lots more to explore on this bad boy, but so far it's been a real blast.
post #2886 of 3111 Old 07-14-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Good to hear that all is well. In your research see if it will play a video of one source while listening to another. Also find out if you can delete choices such as Rhapsody from the input list like you can for others.

Thanks
post #2887 of 3111 Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Just off from a phone call with a Yamaha rep about the CX A 5000 and Dolby Atmos. He told me that he is yet not allowed to talk about this topic but that I should not buy the CX at this moment but should wait for the IFA in Berlin (5.-10. Sep.) He advised me also to go there as "something" will be presented. I am thinking of attending the IFA again this year. Funnily I talked to a big electronic store the other day and they told me that the CX A 5000 is listed in their system as "not available anymore". Looks like Yamaha will present the successor of the CX officially in September. I will definitly go for it then as my home cinema is Atmos ready!
post #2888 of 3111 Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I called them on Saturday and the tech was also pointing to my network. He was a level 1 tech. Their level 2 technicians don't arrive for another couple of hours, but it's on my to do list for today. Since it took a reset of the receiver to cure this problem I don't know how they can point to the network environment. I'll keep you posted.
Actually it may very well be your home network that is causing the problem and I say this because you stated that once you reset/reinitialize your unit the problem is resolved. Most home networks run a scenario were your ISP modem is also a router and that in turn is set to assign IP addresses via DHCP. That is fine and well but what happens is the Yamaha grabs an IP and holds onto it (as it should) even when it goes into Standbye mode. Depending on your modem/router that leases DHCP addresses it may not see that address as being used any more by the Yamaha and re-assigns it to another device on your network. When you turn on the Yamaha that causes a DHCP renew which may or may not happen resulting in sperodic network connectivity between your yamaha and the rest of the network. The fix is two fold, first assign a hard IP address to your Yamaha unit, second reserve that IP address in your modem/router so it is not used in the DHCP pool. I have 2 RX-A3010 receivers and a CX-A5000 preamp with hard IP's and they are excluded from my Linksys router DHCP pool and after 2 years I have not had a single incident of files being cutoff, network radio (Pandora, sirius, ext). I stream FLAC and 24/196 wav files from my Windows Home Server on my network also without issue. I also do the same to all my Oppo BD players and they have functioned without issue for just as long.

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One
post #2889 of 3111 Old 07-15-2014, 12:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio.hobby View Post
Good to hear that all is well. In your research see if it will play a video of one source while listening to another. Also find out if you can delete choices such as Rhapsody from the input list like you can for others.
Thanks
Will do. In theory the dual source thing is supposed to work, you can even display an HDMI source in Zone2. I haven't messed with that yet, but I will be turning on the patio speakers to play music while the main zone is in HT mode. The manual is almost 200 pages, so needless to say I haven't unlocked all of the potential of the AVR.

A weird thing happened though. I wanted to give the inputs more descriptive names than AV1, AV2..... on the app display. I still haven't gotten to that part of the book yet, but all of a sudden yesterday the input I use for the Fire TV now has a descriptor in parentheses next to it which reads "Amazon FireTV". Wish they would all auto-populate.
post #2890 of 3111 Old 07-15-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8451 View Post
Actually it may very well be your home network that is causing the problem and I say this because you stated that once you reset/reinitialize your unit the problem is resolved. Most home networks run a scenario were your ISP modem is also a router and that in turn is set to assign IP addresses via DHCP. That is fine and well but what happens is the Yamaha grabs an IP and holds onto it (as it should) even when it goes into Standbye mode. Depending on your modem/router that leases DHCP addresses it may not see that address as being used any more by the Yamaha and re-assigns it to another device on your network. When you turn on the Yamaha that causes a DHCP renew which may or may not happen resulting in sperodic network connectivity between your yamaha and the rest of the network. The fix is two fold, first assign a hard IP address to your Yamaha unit, second reserve that IP address in your modem/router so it is not used in the DHCP pool. I have 2 RX-A3010 receivers and a CX-A5000 preamp with hard IP's and they are excluded from my Linksys router DHCP pool and after 2 years I have not had a single incident of files being cutoff, network radio (Pandora, sirius, ext). I stream FLAC and 24/196 wav files from my Windows Home Server on my network also without issue. I also do the same to all my Oppo BD players and they have functioned without issue for just as long.

Interesting. Are you referring to the internal address within the network. Every time I've looked it's ended in .104. I just set it up like you suggested and we'll see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #2891 of 3111 Old 07-15-2014, 01:06 PM

Yes you would want to assign it an internal address. An example would be 192.168.1.104 wheras your modem/router is 101 and it give out a range of 102-128. You also want to make sure that you fill in the subnet mask, gateway, and DNS settings. The easiest way to get those is go to a PC on your network and open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL and it will list all the settings, other than the actual IP address all the settings are the same for all devices within your internal network.

Best of Luck

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One
post #2892 of 3111 Old 07-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
A quick question for RX-A3030 or CX-A5000 owners about the RAV423 remote. Do all of the buttons light up on this remote (like the input and volume buttons) or only some of the buttons. I have not been able to check one out in person.

Thanks!

Anybody?
post #2893 of 3111 Old 07-15-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Yes you would want to assign it an internal address. An example would be 192.168.1.104 wheras your modem/router is 101 and it give out a range of 102-128. You also want to make sure that you fill in the subnet mask, gateway, and DNS settings. The easiest way to get those is go to a PC on your network and open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL and it will list all the settings, other than the actual IP address all the settings are the same for all devices within your internal network.

Best of Luck

That's exactly what I did. Only thing I wasn't sure of is IPCONFIG listed a single DNS Server & the Yamaha asked for DNS Server(P) and DNS Server(S). I assume that's primary & secondary & entered the same address in both.
bbrunst likes this.
post #2894 of 3111 Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 PM

Yep, that will work. You can also use your router ip as a secondary DNS entry if one is required.
bbrunst and orcrone like this.

post #2895 of 3111 Old 07-15-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
Anybody?
Yes, they do, but the ones in the upper section of the remote (black section) are dimmer than the ones in the lower section. I just push the backlight button ( right hand side about the middle of the control) in low light to see all the buttons.

Hope this helps

post #2896 of 3111 Old 07-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Yep, that will work. You can also use your router ip as a secondary DNS entry if one is required.
Thanks for your help!!!!
post #2897 of 3111 Old 07-15-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GeorgeJetson View Post
Will do. In theory the dual source thing is supposed to work, you can even display an HDMI source in Zone2. I haven't messed with that yet, but I will be turning on the patio speakers to play music while the main zone is in HT mode. The manual is almost 200 pages, so needless to say I haven't unlocked all of the potential of the AVR.

A weird thing happened though. I wanted to give the inputs more descriptive names than AV1, AV2..... on the app display. I still haven't gotten to that part of the book yet, but all of a sudden yesterday the input I use for the Fire TV now has a descriptor in parentheses next to it which reads "Amazon FireTV". Wish they would all auto-populate.
I do know that you can get into an advanced set up mode by entering your ip address ie.. "198.162.2.156/setup/" and you will have access to more adjustments than I know what to do with.
post #2898 of 3111 Old 07-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, they do, but the ones in the upper section of the remote (black section) are dimmer than the ones in the lower section. I just push the backlight button ( right hand side about the middle of the control) in low light to see all the buttons.

Hope this helps
Thanks Smitty !!
post #2899 of 3111 Old 07-16-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How to I get the video to processing when using my cable box, and through when switching inputs to my bluray player without having to go change the setting each time?

Do I have to go setup a scene?

Paradigm v.5 speakers: Studio 100s - Fronts, Studio CC-690 - Center , ADP-590s - Surround.
Pardigm V.4 speakers: Studio 20s - Rear Surround, Sub12
Pre/Pro - Yamaha CX-A5000, AMP - Yamaha MX-A5000
TV - Samsung UNDF658000
post #2900 of 3111 Old 07-16-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
^ Yes, you can configure things so that the video processing settings are saved as part of a scene (but that's not the default, it has to be selected under "Detail" somewhere in the Scene menu). Then you switch inputs by selecting a Scene.
post #2901 of 3111 Old 07-17-2014, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post
Just off from a phone call with a Yamaha rep about the CX A 5000 and Dolby Atmos. He told me that he is yet not allowed to talk about this topic but that I should not buy the CX at this moment but should wait for the IFA in Berlin (5.-10. Sep.) He advised me also to go there as "something" will be presented. I am thinking of attending the IFA again this year. Funnily I talked to a big electronic store the other day and they told me that the CX A 5000 is listed in their system as "not available anymore". Looks like Yamaha will present the successor of the CX officially in September. I will definitly go for it then as my home cinema is Atmos ready!

Can someone confirm this?????
post #2902 of 3111 Old 07-17-2014, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I dont think that anybody can or will at this moment as Yamaha told that they are not allowed to talk. About anything at this moment so the (at the German Yamaha headquarters) just hinted me in that direction. As you are from Denmark maybe a trip to Berlin would be worthwhile?
post #2903 of 3111 Old 07-17-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:

Best of Luck

I have a 3010 with no issues so I've never really dug into this before.
I just bought my father a 730 and have issues connecting the Ipad app with the receiver. Do I want DCHP, or switch that to IP address?
Do I need to do anything with the router or are all adjustments going to be with the Yamaha?
Please help and thank you
post #2904 of 3111 Old 07-17-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I have a 3010 with no issues so I've never really dug into this before.
I just bought my father a 730 and have issues connecting the Ipad app with the receiver. Do I want DCHP, or switch that to IP address?
Do I need to do anything with the router or are all adjustments going to be with the Yamaha?
Please help and thank you
I would assign a static IP to the 730 as it will make connecting any control app either apple or android based much quicker and error free. I do know on the I-pad app that you have the option of inputing the IP of the unit you want to control and it will remember it making future connections almost instantaneous. Most, but not all routers will recognize when a hard IP has been input on a connected device and will exclude it from it's DHCP address pool but I always manually remove it from the router DHCP pool just to make sure. With my system if an item has the option to use a static IP I assign one and so far I have not had any problems with any of my devices. Please keep this in mind, I do IT for a living and have been doing networking for over 25 years (started with BNC thicknet star networks so I'm dating myself) and have a very large home network consisting of over 40 devices including 2 routers, 3 Wireless AP's, 6 PC's, 4 Tables, 3 Phones, A home server, and my assorted audio equipment so assigning then keeping track of all the static IPs does take time and lots of documentation. but when its setup right you find you have better bandwidth between devices, an easier time making minor changes, expanding the nework when needed and minimal connection issues.

Best of Luck

post #2905 of 3111 Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
I would assign a static IP to the 730 as it will make connecting any control app either apple or android based much quicker and error free. I do know on the I-pad app that you have the option of inputing the IP of the unit you want to control and it will remember it making future connections almost instantaneous. Most, but not all routers will recognize when a hard IP has been input on a connected device and will exclude it from it's DHCP address pool but I always manually remove it from the router DHCP pool just to make sure. With my system if an item has the option to use a static IP I assign one and so far I have not had any problems with any of my devices. Please keep this in mind, I do IT for a living and have been doing networking for over 25 years (started with BNC thicknet star networks so I'm dating myself) and have a very large home network consisting of over 40 devices including 2 routers, 3 Wireless AP's, 6 PC's, 4 Tables, 3 Phones, A home server, and my assorted audio equipment so assigning then keeping track of all the static IPs does take time and lots of documentation. but when its setup right you find you have better bandwidth between devices, an easier time making minor changes, expanding the nework when needed and minimal connection issues.

Best of Luck

I tried that, but the app never recognized the receiver. Only demo mode was available to me on the app

Last edited by billmich; 07-17-2014 at 10:32 AM.
post #2906 of 3111 Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM

Can you get to the unit setup menu with a PC on the same network by entering the IP address of the unit followed by /setup? If you can then there is something going on with the app so you may have to delete it off your device and reinstall the app.

Last edited by smitty8451; 07-17-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling
post #2907 of 3111 Old 07-17-2014, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just bought and installed the new a740. Extremely impressed! Hookup and wifi work flawlessly, sound is great! I replaced a new denon that sounded good but the wifi was junk. Playing flac files from my PC through the new 740 rocks the whole house.
post #2908 of 3111 Old 07-18-2014, 08:27 PM

CX-A5000 Replacement??

Im waiting on my dealer to get back to me with info on a new Yamaha Pre/Pro! I was going to order the cx-a5000. Now I'm not sure if I should wait? He said he is going to call his yamaha rep and let me know what he says. Fingers crossed!!
post #2909 of 3111 Old 07-18-2014, 08:37 PM

To be honest I have no interest in dolby atmos until at least the third or fourth release of it. More concerned with hdmi 2.0
post #2910 of 3111 Old 07-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
YPAO Measurement positions

I have an RX A830, and was wondering if you guys could help me. It has capability to measure in 8 positions. I have a large L shaped sectional in the room- does it matter where you start measuring? Do the first positions measured carry more "weight" in the final result or are they just equalized to give the best response in all seating positions? If the latter is the case, does it mean that the primary listening positions may not be getting the best sound?
How many positions do you use?
Thanks
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Aventage Rxa 1030 Receiver , Yamaha Rxa2030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver , Yamaha Rxa3030bl Aventage Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread - Rxa2030bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page