Official Pioneer VSX-1123-K Owners thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 736 Old 12-31-2013, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have maybe an issue with my receiver. When i change to cab/sat (digibox connection); the receiver always needs 3-10 refreshes of the tv-screen (black window with some snow at top) before starting up. Anybody else having the same or should i contact manyfacturer?

steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 736 Old 12-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwd25 View Post

just getting back into the home theater game after a long hiatus,
that said looking to pair this receiver with my current pioneer 6020 tv.
am i going to be facing any conectvity issues using hdmi. ive read in different
places some older tv's have trouble with newer hdmi 1.4. any help
would be greatly apprecited. thanks

I have a 6010, works great, sometimes takes 3-4 seconds to negotiate.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #273 of 736 Old 01-01-2014, 08:10 AM

Happy New Year everyone. Ok guys, this is my second post to the site and I need some help with this 1123k receiver. I have set everything up so far and is working great. The only thing I cannot get working is the HDZone. I've read over this entire thread and the manual and I'm pretty sure I've got all wiring and settings correct.

Here is my set up:
Inputs
hdmi 1 - ps3
Hdmi 2 - homeworx digital tuner
Hdmi 3 - Xbox 360

Outputs:
Main hdmi - benq w1070
Out 2 - LG 37 in in the gym

Since all of my inputs are hdmi I need to get the HDZone working to send video and audio feeds to my gym area. When I go through the steps mentioned on post #109 of setting the output setting to main and then setting the hdmi out to 1+2, the HDZone function is greyed out and not available. When I set the output setting to HDZone, I don't get any video feed to the secondary tv(gym), only audio. I know that the hdmi cords are all ok as I've tested them by switching the tv output to be the main out and I got signal. I'm wondering if the secondary output is faulty or if its something that I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance for any help.
post #274 of 736 Old 01-01-2014, 11:37 AM

Hi All,

I just purchased the VSX 1123k with the hopes of using the RCA Zone 2 outputs to connect to my Sonos Connect line in to integrate my home theater with my Sonos system. I'm discovering that this may not work as the receiver does not seem to be capable of sending digital audio from HDMI out through the RCA Zone 2 outputs (my xbox, blue ray, cable box, etc. are connect to the 1123 via HDMI and I would like to send this sound to my Sonos system). Is there any way around this, or are there additional settings in the receiver that would make this possible?

If not, are there other receivers that are capable of this? Or would it be worth using the HDZONE HDMI output to a DAC, and then connect the DAC to the analogue RCA line in on my Sonos system?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #275 of 736 Old 01-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Sneppe View Post

i have maybe an issue with my receiver. When i change to cab/sat (digibox connection); the receiver always needs 3-10 refreshes of the tv-screen (black window with some snow at top) before starting up. Anybody else having the same or should i contact manyfacturer?

steven

Check the input with another device and hdmi cable, if you still have the problem then contact the manufacturer.

post #276 of 736 Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 AM

(VSX-1123 )  I just set up my surround sound using my mic and all seam to go well but now when I want to play music my sub woofer don't work. When I play the Blueray the sub plays fine. I looked at my setting but don't see what I have to change. I never used the mic before because I didn't have my speakers installed on my back wall yet and the sub would play with music then. Anybody have this problem?

post #277 of 736 Old 01-02-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I had to boost the sub a bit, make a couple other adjustments to suit my taste. It is discussed often in the Auto MCACC Room Calibration thread. It seems to be a characteristic of most/all pioneer receivers not only the 1123.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #278 of 736 Old 01-02-2014, 11:26 AM

I have no sub output when trying to play music.

post #279 of 736 Old 01-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notecknew1 View Post

(VSX-1123 )  I just set up my surround sound using my mic and all seam to go well but now when I want to play music my sub woofer don't work. When I play the Blueray the sub plays fine. I looked at my setting but don't see what I have to change. I never used the mic before because I didn't have my speakers installed on my back wall yet and the sub would play with music then. Anybody have this problem?

It's not a problem, You need to set your Sub to Plus. What happens is that unless there is an LFE signal, which there isn't in stereo playback, the sub will not turn on.
Setting the sub to Plus will send the low frequencies to it. This is especially true if your speakers are set to large.
Check page 84 and 85 of the Operating Instructions manual under Speaker Setting.

My advice set your speakers to small, even if you have floor standing/large fronts.

post #280 of 736 Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootangclan View Post

Happy New Year everyone. Ok guys, this is my second post to the site and I need some help with this 1123k receiver. I have set everything up so far and is working great. The only thing I cannot get working is the HDZone. I've read over this entire thread and the manual and I'm pretty sure I've got all wiring and settings correct.

Here is my set up:
Inputs
hdmi 1 - ps3
Hdmi 2 - homeworx digital tuner
Hdmi 3 - Xbox 360

Outputs:
Main hdmi - benq w1070
Out 2 - LG 37 in in the gym

Since all of my inputs are hdmi I need to get the HDZone working to send video and audio feeds to my gym area. When I go through the steps mentioned on post #109 of setting the output setting to main and then setting the hdmi out to 1+2, the HDZone function is greyed out and not available. When I set the output setting to HDZone, I don't get any video feed to the secondary tv(gym), only audio. I know that the hdmi cords are all ok as I've tested them by switching the tv output to be the main out and I got signal. I'm wondering if the secondary output is faulty or if its something that I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance for any help.

This sounds like a weird problem. It is possible that the HDMI board is faulty. My advice would be to do a firmware update if there is one available then a factory reset and try again.
Also here is a thought, are you sure that the LG 37" tv is capable of displaying the same resolutions as your BenQ w1070?
It could be a matter of 1080p vs 1080i aor 720p.

post #281 of 736 Old 01-03-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnson134 View Post

Hi All,

I just purchased the VSX 1123k with the hopes of using the RCA Zone 2 outputs to connect to my Sonos Connect line in to integrate my home theater with my Sonos system. I'm discovering that this may not work as the receiver does not seem to be capable of sending digital audio from HDMI out through the RCA Zone 2 outputs (my xbox, blue ray, cable box, etc. are connect to the 1123 via HDMI and I would like to send this sound to my Sonos system). Is there any way around this, or are there additional settings in the receiver that would make this possible?

If not, are there other receivers that are capable of this? Or would it be worth using the HDZONE HDMI output to a DAC, and then connect the DAC to the analogue RCA line in on my Sonos system?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Your best bet is to do a DAC from the the HDZONE. I'm not aware of any receivers at this price point that are capable of what you are trying to do.

On another note, I don't understand why you would want to feed a digital multi-channel signal to a stereo input.
You will lose 3 channels and the LFE channel by doing this.
You could have saved yourself the trouble and just bought an HDMI switch.

post #282 of 736 Old 01-03-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak123456 View Post

Hi

I just bought Pioneer 1123 and still exploring it with basic setup complete. Through the USB, I can connect my iPhone and listen to the audio. However, when I connect my Android Galaxy S3, error message "No Device or Wrong Device" is received. Appreciate any inputs to resolve this.

I believe you need an MHL adapter for your S3. S3 is not MHL certified out of the box.
Like this one.

post #283 of 736 Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thr2 View Post

I have a question regarding the iControl 2013 app, Finger EQ, that I haven't been able to find precise instructions for. It's basically the 9 audio graphical settings.
Does anyone know if the pattern follows what I would call the "normal"? I.E.
>>>Right/PURPLE = High
>>>Middle/BLUE = Mid-Range
>>>Left/GREEN = Low

The reason I ask is that I find it hard to nail down.
Usually (not always) I want clearer dialog over sound affects, which with the Dialog Enhancement set at 3, the IControl Emphasis set almost max'd out, and EQ flat, works for almost everything. BD, UVerse HD, VUDU all OK.
...................But occasionally (Netflix via my TV which is only 720P/2 channel) I need to tweak the EQ and I am not sure the high and low aren't reversed.
Anyone positive about what the graph settings for t he 3 Green, 3 Blue, and 3 Purple actually equal in db?

You don't need to tweak the EQ, this is unnecessary.
Page 12 of the manual, #5 Receiver Control Buttons, either the STANDARD(2) or ADV SURR(3) buttons.
Play around with the various simulated surround modes, the dialogue will come out of your centre channel.
If you find that it is still not loud enough you can turn up the channels individual volume with the CH LEVEL(6) button.

post #284 of 736 Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Not decoding proper format

I recently upgraded from a 1020-K to the 1223-K.
I've played(bit stream) several titles from a Blu-ray player that have DTS Master HD and Dolby HD & both formats are decoded/displayed properly by the 1223-K.

Yesterday, we decided to watch the theatrical cuts of LOTR Fellowship & Two Towers.
These titles are decoded by the 1123-K as ES MATRIX.
I swapped in my 1020-K and it decodes it as DTS Master HD (correct).

I played the Extended cut of LOTR Return of the King and it's decoded properly (DTS Master HD) by the 1223-K & 1020-K.

Anyone else run into issues with the 1223-K not decoding bit stream HD audio correctly from specific titles/movies?

post #285 of 736 Old 01-03-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Not decoding proper format

I recently upgraded from a 1020-K to the 1223-K.
I've played(bit stream) several titles from a Blu-ray player that have DTS Master HD and Dolby HD & both formats are decoded/displayed properly by the 1223-K.

Yesterday, we decided to watch the theatrical cuts of LOTR Fellowship & Two Towers.
These titles are decoded by the 1123-K as ES MATRIX.
I swapped in my 1020-K and it decodes it as DTS Master HD (correct).

I played the Extended cut of LOTR Return of the King and it's decoded properly (DTS Master HD) by the 1223-K & 1020-K.

Anyone else run into issues with the 1223-K not decoding bit stream HD audio correctly from specific titles/movies?

It actually is decoding or receiving the Bit Stream, if it wasn't you'd see PCM on the LCD display.
Here is a little explanation of the ES MATRIX the receiver is decoding.
Here is the wikipedia article on the DTS Variant.

Here is a better explanation.

post #286 of 736 Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 AM

Also to add to this if you look at Blu-Ray.com the Fellowship is encoded in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 ES Matrix. So this would go along with what you're seeing.
Your 1020 probably can't handle the ES Matrix and strictly decodes it as 5.1 not creating the extra channels ES flags the receiver for.

post #287 of 736 Old 01-03-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post

Also to add to this if you look at Blu-Ray.com the Fellowship is encoded in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 ES Matrix. So this would go along with what you're seeing.
Your 1020 probably can't handle the ES Matrix and strictly decodes it as 5.1 not creating the extra channels ES flags the receiver for.
Cool.
Thanks for the info and clarification.

post #288 of 736 Old 01-03-2014, 10:24 PM

Hey all,

New VSX 1123 owner here. I have a few questions regarding volume output. I've tried a few different setups and I'm pretty disappointed with volume output. I'm running Gershman Acoustics Avant Garde speakers through an old Adcom amp. I used to have an old Adcom processor with only analog inputs and replaced it with the Pioneer receiver.

When using the receiver's pre-out to the Adcom amp, I can barely hear anything until the volume is at -20db (which seems excessive). Then I decided to try out the internal receiver amp to see what I could do with it. Even then, I'm listening to a blu-ray (dave matthews) at a fairly normal level and the receiver is at -40db. Also, when I use my cable box (fibre optic cable), the receiver needs to be @ -25db for a similar volume output.

I find that those numbers are very low since the volume starts @ -80db. Any suggestions on getting more output from the pre-out or the internal amps?

Are these normal numbers?

Every signal are being fed through HDMI.

Thanks,

Setup 1:
Bell FibreOp cable HDMI
Oppo BD player HDMI
Pioneer VSX-1123
Adcom amp
Gershman Avant Garde speakers. (normal listening starts @ -25db)

Setup 2:
Bell FibreOp cable HDMI
Oppo BD player HDMI
Pioneer VSX-1123
Gershman Avant Garde speakers. (normal listening starts @ -40db for BD and -25 for cable)
post #289 of 736 Old 01-04-2014, 01:19 AM

Not going to lie to you, -20 db is pretty standard for me, all tv and movies I watch are at that level. The only thing that I listen to at -35db is music. The volume level goes up to +12db. Also if you'd like you can turn up the overall volume of all channels using the CH LEVEL button.

post #290 of 736 Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 PM

NEW OWNER- Please advise as to how to get analog audio along with HDMI Video. I want to get HDMI video from my computer along with analog audio. the input setup does not allow me to select any option that accomplish this! The schematic diagrams show it can be done , and the back of the unit has plenty of analog inputs. Please help!

Thanks!!!!

Peter
post #291 of 736 Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandpeter View Post

NEW OWNER- Please advise as to how to get analog audio along with HDMI Video. I want to get HDMI video from my computer along with analog audio. the input setup does not allow me to select any option that accomplish this! The schematic diagrams show it can be done , and the back of the unit has plenty of analog inputs. Please help!

Thanks!!!!

Peter

Hi hollandpeter, connect the computer HDMI video to HDMI-1 (DVD) and computer audio to analog DVD input. Now on the remote press "Receiver" and then press "Signal Sel" button a few times to cycle it to "Analog".
hollandpeter likes this.
post #292 of 736 Old 01-05-2014, 08:50 AM

Thanks all good now:)

post #293 of 736 Old 01-05-2014, 12:42 PM

JChin, Thank you. That worked and kept me from returning the unit! Quick follow up: I assume that I need to keep the audio input set to "none" on the input setup menu for the "DVD" input, and, will I need to use "Signal Sel" every time I switch to the DVD input, or will it "remember"?

Thanks again.
post #294 of 736 Old 01-05-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandpeter View Post

I assume that I need to keep the audio input set to "none" on the input setup menu for the "DVD" input, and, will I need to use "Signal Sel" every time I switch to the DVD input, or will it "remember"?

Yes, keep Audio In as none and I believe you do have to use Signal Sel every time since you're using HDMI input.
hollandpeter likes this.
post #295 of 736 Old 01-05-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement set-up mic for this unit other then Pioneer itself? I just find it hard to pay $50 for a new one. I've checked eBay with no luck.
post #296 of 736 Old 01-06-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post

This sounds like a weird problem. It is possible that the HDMI board is faulty. My advice would be to do a firmware update if there is one available then a factory reset and try again.
Also here is a thought, are you sure that the LG 37" tv is capable of displaying the same resolutions as your BenQ w1070?
It could be a matter of 1080p vs 1080i aor 720p.

Thanks for your input Exist_To_Resist. I'm on the latest firmware... but good point on the resolution. The LG is 720p and maybe that is indeed the problem. If it is the problem, how do I get set the resolution to 720p to output to the LG. It was my understanding that you didn't have to use the same source for the two different outputs. Is there a way to select a lower resolution and test the second output and can I choose two different resolution to the outputs? 

post #297 of 736 Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyknoxsvill View Post

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement set-up mic for this unit other then Pioneer itself? I just find it hard to pay $50 for a new one. I've checked eBay with no luck.

Unfortunately you will need to buy a new mic for the receiver. If you want alternatives to the one that comes with the unit head over to the Advanced MCACC thread and ask in there, they might give you some ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootangclan View Post

Thanks for your input Exist_To_Resist. I'm on the latest firmware... but good point on the resolution. The LG is 720p and maybe that is indeed the problem. If it is the problem, how do I get set the resolution to 720p to output to the LG. It was my understanding that you didn't have to use the same source for the two different outputs. Is there a way to select a lower resolution and test the second output and can I choose two different resolution to the outputs? 

This is correct you can have independent sources for both outputs, but if this is the case the HDZONE output will drop all audio down to stereo.
Also I do not think you can change the resolution independently when mirroring the output, however you can have independent resolutions for different outputs.
If I was you I would change the resolution to 720p to test the theory out to see if video will be displayed in the HDZONE.
Page 65 of the manual, Video parameter menu, RES.

post #298 of 736 Old 01-07-2014, 02:33 PM

So why are all these new receivers limiting the optical digital audio inputs? I realize the excuse is that HDMI is the answer but what about those people hooking their receivers up to projectors?

This is frustrating shopping for a new receiver now.
post #299 of 736 Old 01-07-2014, 03:14 PM

Because you can connect a projector via HDMI as well.
I don't understand your frustration with the lack of optical.
If you have a projector connected to a receiver the receiver should be handling the audio anyways.
All your players and sources should be plugged into the receiver, unless 7 HDMI inputs is not enough, then it's time for an HDMI switch.

post #300 of 736 Old 01-07-2014, 06:42 PM

Hi,

I was curious what video settings you guys are using. Currently I am running everything to my receiver and then an out to my Samsung LED. To me is seems as if I am getting my blacks crushed a bit with conversion set to on. Sorry if this has been covered already prior.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , pioneer vsx-1123-k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page