Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 755 Old 01-20-2014, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by casjen View Post

Thanks for the reply but when i try and add device it says doest exist.

Try using "VSX-70 (HD Zone)" as the device name.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 755 Old 01-20-2014, 11:41 PM

Liked: 10

I have a question regarding a specific setup with my new VSX-1123 to anyone =)

I have your typical setup going (PS3, BD player, outputting to a TV), however I want to be able to have a constant source able to be played through no matter what source the receiver happens to be on. (for example: I want to be able to have my connected PC be able to feed sound through it while I am playing a BD movie).

Would the receiver be able to do this by itself? Or do I need some kind of support device?

MUCH appreciated to who will listen =D =D

post #363 of 755 Old 01-21-2014, 09:22 AM

Can anyone confirm that they currently have Pandora working on a VSX-1123 with the latest firmware? As I posted above, I'm getting a server error and since my other network features are working, the only thing I can guess is that maybe the Pioneer/Pandora server is currently having problems?

Anyone? Thanks!
post #364 of 755 Old 01-21-2014, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McCarty View Post

I have a question regarding a specific setup with my new VSX-1123 to anyone =)

I have your typical setup going (PS3, BD player, outputting to a TV), however I want to be able to have a constant source able to be played through no matter what source the receiver happens to be on. (for example: I want to be able to have my connected PC be able to feed sound through it while I am playing a BD movie).

Would the receiver be able to do this by itself? Or do I need some kind of support device?

MUCH appreciated to who will listen =D =D

Are you sending the constant source (PC) to another room?
If it's staying in the same room, will the BD movie be muted?
What are you trying to accomplish, can you elaborate?
Sean McCarty likes this.

post #365 of 755 Old 01-21-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post

Are you sending the constant source (PC) to another room?
If it's staying in the same room, will the BD movie be muted?
What are you trying to accomplish, can you elaborate?

The constant source (PC) I want to be audible (for gaming) even though I may playing a BD/PS3/etc... at the same time through the same speakers. No other rooms. It's basically like a crazy entertainment room setup with my pc and which the tv is hung up on the wall over my monitor.
post #366 of 755 Old 01-22-2014, 02:51 PM

I just got this receiver a few weeks ago and had no problems setting up pandora.  It has worked great from the start.  Sorry you are having problems with yours.

wthrer likes this.
post #367 of 755 Old 01-22-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McCarty View Post

The constant source (PC) I want to be audible (for gaming) even though I may playing a BD/PS3/etc... at the same time through the same speakers. No other rooms. It's basically like a crazy entertainment room setup with my pc and which the tv is hung up on the wall over my monitor.

Are you going to be running only audio from the PC to the receiver?
Analog?

If the above is true then...
You can not mix the sound sources so your only choice is one or the other.
The audio input from the Component IN1 and Coax on the back are assignable to the HDMI 1-3 inputs.

You could get a couple extra bookshelf speakers and run Zone 2 output. This is exactly the type of situation Zone2 audio is meant for.
This way you can output both sounds at the same time from different pairs of speakers.
Otherwise you will have to switch the inputs in the HMDI menu every time you want to change this setting.

post #368 of 755 Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
*Just some info on my experience with picture drop outs / scree blank outs.

I was having periodic picture drop outs from my Roku box and my HDTV Homeworx box.
Both are connected via HDMI.

It was random when it would happen.
Sometimes I would lose sound as well.

*My Blu-ray player never had a drop out streaming or playing Blu-ray but it outputs 1080p.

I turned off all HDMI control on the receiver and that didn't help.

I noticed that when I watched HDTV, all signal was displayed at 1080p even though the signal was 1080i or 720p.
I decided to turn off the video upconversion.
No more picture drop outs.

post #369 of 755 Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

*Just some info on my experience with picture drop outs / scree blank outs.

I was having periodic picture drop outs from my Roku box and my HDTV Homeworx box.
Both are connected via HDMI.

It was random when it would happen.
Sometimes I would lose sound as well.

*My Blu-ray player never had a drop out streaming or playing Blu-ray but it outputs 1080p.

I turned off all HDMI control on the receiver and that didn't help.

I noticed that when I watched HDTV, all signal was displayed at 1080p even though the signal was 1080i or 720p.
I decided to turn off the video upconversion.
No more picture drop outs.

I don't have a problem up scaling my Wii on the 1123-k.
I would be careful, usually when you have picture drop outs like that. it is an indication of a bad HDMI board.
I had a H/K receiver like that, and I paid it no mind then one day it went belly up.
I actually went as far as getting a HDMI EDID device to correct the issue of picture dropping out, but the inevitable happened anyways.
Good thing it happened prior to the warranty running out.
If your unit is still in warranty I would look into that, get it exchanged, this is not normal behaviour.

post #370 of 755 Old 01-23-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdearduff View Post

I just got this receiver a few weeks ago and had no problems setting up pandora.  It has worked great from the start.  Sorry you are having problems with yours.

Thanks for the reply! Have you used Pandora recently on it? I'm just wondering if maybe it worked a few weeks ago when you set it up, but you haven't tried it since and something has changed with their server configuration (apparently that happened in late 2012, and required a Pioneer firmware update).

I'm hoping it's something external to my receiver, because I just don't know what else to try to get it to work!
post #371 of 755 Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 AM

I use Pandora every day with out a problem.  Maybe its time to give Pioneer a call?

post #372 of 755 Old 01-23-2014, 03:16 PM

It would appear. frown.gif

Thanks for helping me out, though!
post #373 of 755 Old 01-23-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

I don't have a problem up scaling my Wii on the 1123-k.
I would be careful, usually when you have picture drop outs like that. it is an indication of a bad HDMI board.
I had a H/K receiver like that, and I paid it no mind then one day it went belly up.
I actually went as far as getting a HDMI EDID device to correct the issue of picture dropping out, but the inevitable happened anyways.
Good thing it happened prior to the warranty running out.
If your unit is still in warranty I would look into that, get it exchanged, this is not normal behaviour.
Yeah, I already swapped the receiver.

When it happened with the new replacement, I knew the issue had to be something else.
I use the BD input for the Blu-ray player (which has no drop outs), so I connecting the Roku and HDTV to the BD input with the same results.
I eventually tried all HDMI inputs, even the front with the same results.
The issue pointed to the devices.

I was about to give up on this receiver (assuming it has some HDMI handshaking issues with some devices) then I seen the 1080p upconversion occurring and made the change to turn it off.

*I assume your Wii is connected via component(analog) and not HDMI(digital/handshaking), correct?

post #374 of 755 Old 01-24-2014, 08:20 AM

Yes it's connected via component. Didn't even think about that, now I want to test a sub 1080p source.
Will get back to you about that one.

post #375 of 755 Old 01-29-2014, 10:17 AM

Can I connect a digital TV antenna directly to my receiver?

It's my first post here, but I figured that this forum would be the best place to find smart people who could help me figure out my new receiver. As an AV novice I have plenty of questions... but I'll start with this one, since it seems easier.

Currently I have a digital antenna (GE 24703) connected to my TV (Sony KDL32BX420) but on the few occasions that we watch broadcast TV (college sports for me and Downton Abbey for the wife) I only get the sound to come through the TV's own weak speakers. I would like to be able to use my built-in surround speakers when watching TV. Is there any way to run a digital TV antenna signal through the receiver so I can get the sound too?

If you do know the answer please be as gentle and rudimentary as possible. Thank you!

post #376 of 755 Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by brand46 View Post

Can I connect a digital TV antenna directly to my receiver?

It's my first post here, but I figured that this forum would be the best place to find smart people who could help me figure out my new receiver. As an AV novice I have plenty of questions... but I'll start with this one, since it seems easier.

Currently I have a digital antenna (GE 24703) connected to my TV (Sony KDL32BX420) but on the few occasions that we watch broadcast TV (college sports for me and Downton Abbey for the wife) I only get the sound to come through the TV's own weak speakers. I would like to be able to use my built-in surround speakers when watching TV. Is there any way to run a digital TV antenna signal through the receiver so I can get the sound too?

If you do know the answer please be as gentle and rudimentary as possible. Thank you!

If you use HDMI to connect receiver and TV AND the TV has ARC capability, you should be able to set the receiver to TV as input. You may have to turn off the TV's own sound [at least I need to on my Vizio].

Regards.
post #377 of 755 Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The manual for your TV says you have SPDIF Audio Out (digital). It doesn't mention HDMI out. Do you have an unused coax or fibre digital audio input on the receiver? If so you can run the audio from the TV to the receiver and play on your surround speakers.

Oh, as far as connecting the antenna, the VSX-1123-K receiver does not have an OTA TV tuner, just AM/FM.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
post #378 of 755 Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 AM

Audio issues on two different setups. At first there were no problems but now both systems don't output audio through surround speakers or through tv passthrough setup. I unplugged both receivers then it was working again but after a few days the same issue has occurred. Both systems are connected through surge protectors and do have the latest firmware.

One setup has the Pioneer blu-ray bdp150 and att uverse connected with high speed hdmi cables into vsx-1123 and out to a sony 4k tv 3d.

Other setup in different house has LG blu-ray bp335w and TWC cable box connected with high speed hdmi cables into vsx-1123 and out to Sharp 70" 3d 1080p set.

On the first setup the uverse does have surround sound audio enabled and after doing a full receiver reset this past Friday it seems to be working.

On other setup only did the unplug reset yesterday and seemed to be working again but I predict it will start acting up again right around the start of Super Bowl.

Checked all connections including all speakers and I'm going to assume all hdmi input and output receiver options are correct since like I mentioned they worked fined at first but then starting to act up and of course after these recent resets so far it's working.

If anyone else fixed this issue please share some insight as to what fixed it for good.
post #379 of 755 Old 02-02-2014, 01:09 PM

Audio passthrough to monitor connected through monitor out #2 - Is it possible?

Hi - I would normally test this myself by running the appropriate cables but my home theatre receiver (vsx-1123-k) is situated in a in a tight closet and accessing the cable jacks requires pulling out a number of devices, etc.  It's a real pain so I am hoping another owner would be able to help me out.  

I have a setup that is working well.  My main home theatre has the main monitor being attached to HDMI output #1 and the 5.1 audio is played through the receiver's amp .  I also have Zone 2 (line out) to a separate amp that feeds audio to the upper floors of my house.  

What I would like to do is attach a second monitor to the monitor # 2 out and clone the image that is playing on  monitor #1.  The second monitor would be in a room that does not have any type of amplification except through the speakers of the monitor . The second monitor is old so I can't patch different audio to a HDMI image. (not sure this can even be done)

So my question is,  does  the monitor #2 out provide audio passthrough from the source it's playing?. Basic stereo audio for the second monitor is fine.

Thanks for your help.

post #380 of 755 Old 02-03-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdplasmas View Post

Audio issues on two different setups. At first there were no problems but now both systems don't output audio through surround speakers or through tv passthrough setup. I unplugged both receivers then it was working again but after a few days the same issue has occurred. Both systems are connected through surge protectors and do have the latest firmware.

One setup has the Pioneer blu-ray bdp150 and att uverse connected with high speed hdmi cables into vsx-1123 and out to a sony 4k tv 3d.

Other setup in different house has LG blu-ray bp335w and TWC cable box connected with high speed hdmi cables into vsx-1123 and out to Sharp 70" 3d 1080p set.

On the first setup the uverse does have surround sound audio enabled and after doing a full receiver reset this past Friday it seems to be working.

On other setup only did the unplug reset yesterday and seemed to be working again but I predict it will start acting up again right around the start of Super Bowl.

Checked all connections including all speakers and I'm going to assume all hdmi input and output receiver options are correct since like I mentioned they worked fined at first but then starting to act up and of course after these recent resets so far it's working.

If anyone else fixed this issue please share some insight as to what fixed it for good.

I know that Uverse boxes have issues with surround. Apparently the HDMI is unreliable and it is recommended to run a TOSLINK cable from the box to the receiver.
I can't comment on the TWC box.

post #381 of 755 Old 02-03-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dasher View Post

Audio passthrough to monitor connected through monitor out #2 - Is it possible?

What I would like to do is attach a second monitor to the monitor # 2 out and clone the image that is playing on  monitor #1.  

This is possible and can be done.
You need to set this up in the menus first.
See page 88 of the manual, under Zone Setup.
You need to make sure the HDZONE setting is set to Main.

post #382 of 755 Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:

This is possible and can be done.
You need to set this up in the menus first.
See page 88 of the manual, under Zone Setup.
You need to make sure the HDZONE setting is set to Main.

Thanks for the input.  I will try it this weekend.  I thought I could do it but wasn't sure. Do you know if I would loose the video signal processing (progress scan, etc.) ? Would there be a problem if the first monitor was 1080p and the second 720p?

Thanks again,

post #383 of 755 Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dasher View Post

Thanks for the input.  I will try it this weekend.  I thought I could do it but wasn't sure. Do you know if I would loose the video signal processing (progress scan, etc.) ? Would there be a problem if the first monitor was 1080p and the second 720p?

Thanks again,

I'm not sure about the signal processing and how it applies it to the secondary HDMI out. I assume it mirrors everything coming out of HDMI 1 so processing should be applied.
As far as 1080p and 720p, you will have to scale everything to 720p, as 720p is the lowest common denominator. Again this is going on the assumption that all processing is applied to both outputs.

post #384 of 755 Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnoviceat57 View Post

Thanks to everyone that has helped me thus far. Great posts and resolutions. Now that almost everything is working well, my next question is Pandora. Pandora does play - but - I can't seen to make my choices with the remote. Have to use buttons on the front of the receiver to pick Pandora channels. I've moved all my remote functions to my Harmony 800 - but that remote doesn't work within Pandora either. I do get a display on my TV and can see what I'm picking, but again, have to make my selections with the front of the receiver. Shouldn't the buttons on the remote allow one to toggle and make Pandora channel choices? Thanks for any input.

Not sure if someone has answered your question already, but you need to press the 'NET' button on the remote to activate the blue options on the buttons and to switch the navigation and return keys to operated in network mode. You should then be able to control Pandora from the remote. 

I'm not sure about the Harmony since I don't have one.

Ran into the same issue with not being able to control Pandora, and found this blurb in the manual:

"Press NET to switch the remote control to network operating mode."

Exist_To_Resist likes this.
post #385 of 755 Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 AM

Got a VSX-1123-K recently and am very happy with my purchase. This thread has been great in answering questions I missed the explanation of while reading through the manual.

Here's my question. While watching blu rays, the subwoofer fires as expected responding to the LFE signal being output by the receiver. However, when I play stereo sound (such as Pandora or Internet Radio), the subwoofer doesn't get any signal even on bass heavy tracks.

What setting would enable the subwoofer to activate on stereo inputs? Or is this not a problem for you?

post #386 of 755 Old 02-06-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoisC View Post

I found a hard to find bug with this receiver regarding disabling video conversion and RBG content (16-235) (YCbCr is not affected)

My setup: Pioneer 1123-K with a PN51D6900 plasma TV (Also tested with two other cheap brand LCDs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonwide View Post

I have the flagship model (called SC-LX87 here in Europe) and I noticed the exact same problem.

Hi, first post. I have this issue with the VSX-923-K. I haven't done any significant testing, but I need VCONV ON to get full RBG from my Nvidia GPU (which I had to tweak to get full RGB in the first place.)

Has there been any update on this issue?

What's Pioneer's history like with this sort of thing?

As a gamer this is almost a deal breaker for me, but I'd rather hold onto it if there's a chance Pioneer will fix the issue.

post #387 of 755 Old 02-06-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxms533 View Post

Got a VSX-1123-K recently and am very happy with my purchase. This thread has been great in answering questions I missed the explanation of while reading through the manual.

Here's my question. While watching blu rays, the subwoofer fires as expected responding to the LFE signal being output by the receiver. However, when I play stereo sound (such as Pandora or Internet Radio), the subwoofer doesn't get any signal even on bass heavy tracks.

What setting would enable the subwoofer to activate on stereo inputs? Or is this not a problem for you?

Just answering my own question here. The sub wasn't set to 'LFE' mode. It had its crossover way down and the stereo signal just happened to not be hitting it. Turned the crossover on the sub back up to max (lfe) and let the receiver handle it. All good now.
post #388 of 755 Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 PM

Additionally you could set the Sub to Plus which means that all lows will be passed to it regardless.
mxms533 likes this.

post #389 of 755 Old 02-07-2014, 02:22 PM

New member with a new VSX-1123-K and a new IPad Air. I can't get the Airplay icon to come up on my IPad. Any suggestions? Thanks Murf
post #390 of 755 Old 02-07-2014, 02:22 PM

I've tried rebooting both the IPad and the 1123. I can stream music using ArkMC on my IPad but would like to use airplay if at all possible.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , pioneer vsx-1123-k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page