Official Pioneer VSX-1123-K Owners thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 621 Old 07-01-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has anyone tried to setup Spotify on this unit? It appears that you need a premium account. I don't want to spend $10/month just to see if it's any good.
The free Pandora seems to work fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 621 Old 07-03-2014, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Алек Норман Оним View Post
Tell me if you know you will have a firmware update for this receiver? Will it support HDMI2.0 (4k 60fps) or not? Maybe she has not tested estv it?
There is no cable standard on the market that can do 4K/60 yet.

post #603 of 621 Old 07-03-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Looks like the Sony STR-DN1040 has 2.0 capability via firmware update but so far no word on the 1123. Would be nice to have hdmi 2.0 but not necessary for quite a while.
post #604 of 621 Old 07-10-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As I first noted back on April 24, I continue to have a periodic issue where the 1123 loses audio only on HDMI sources.

In my follow-up on May 1, I noted that it appeared the only way to resolve the issue was to perform a full factory re-set.

Since then, the "no-audio-from HDMI-sources" issue has cropped up three of four more times. There does not appear to be anything in particular that causes it to happen. I suppose it could be happening every N days or maybe every M hours of use.

Given how tedious it is to re-establish all settings after a factory re-set (esp. radio stations), I figured out that pulling the power cord for 3-5 minutes does the trick. It must act like some sort of soft re-set. Audio is back on all HDMI sources and no one needs to get carpal tunnel or a sore back re-naming radio stations.
post #605 of 621 Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 PM

Interesting.

I would suggest you update to the latest firmware if you haven't already.

If the firmware is up to date I would consider an RMA, it is possible that the hardware is faulty.
Bad HDMI boards are pretty common among receivers these days.
But like I mention firmware update if you haven't already.

post #606 of 621 Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 PM

Liked: 0
VSX-1123 can't play music files on flashes

Hi Everyone,

I have a brand new VSX-1123. I just unboxed it yesterday. It's really nice, except I can't play any music files from USB flashes.

I have an assortment of flashes that I have music files on. They are various sizes but mostly 2G and 4G and are formatted as FAT32. The music files are in several different formats, i.e. mp3, wav, and flac. They've worked fine for ages in my car and my SC-05, but they don't work in the VSX-1123.

I'm following the instructions on pg 43 of the VSX-1123 manual. After I select iPod/USB, I can see the directories and music files on both the TV and LCD screens. However, the arrow keys and the enter button do not work, i.e. I'm not able to move around and select different files and directories. This process works fine on the SC-05, so I'm stumped. I tried deleting all of the folders and having just a few mp3 files and still the same result.

I did check the firmware version on the Pioneer website and I'm running the current version - 1-147-020-016-106.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy
post #607 of 621 Old 07-11-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mba_scientist View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a brand new VSX-1123. I just unboxed it yesterday. It's really nice, except I can't play any music files from USB flashes.

I have an assortment of flashes that I have music files on. They are various sizes but mostly 2G and 4G and are formatted as FAT32. The music files are in several different formats, i.e. mp3, wav, and flac. They've worked fine for ages in my car and my SC-05, but they don't work in the VSX-1123.

I'm following the instructions on pg 43 of the VSX-1123 manual. After I select iPod/USB, I can see the directories and music files on both the TV and LCD screens. However, the arrow keys and the enter button do not work, i.e. I'm not able to move around and select different files and directories. This process works fine on the SC-05, so I'm stumped. I tried deleting all of the folders and having just a few mp3 files and still the same result.

I did check the firmware version on the Pioneer website and I'm running the current version - 1-147-020-016-106.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy
I don't have experience with this functionality, however...
The firmware on that site is from October last year, there have been several updates since then.
Plug your receiver into the internet and do an update that way.

Also you have to plug in the USB when the receiver is in standby as per page 33.
Also what could be happening is that the receiver is indexing the USB device, hence why the controls are frozen.
However you did mention you tried Flash drive with a few files, so likely not.
Alternatively it could be the function of your remote is not set to the correct one.
Try pressing the RECEIVER button and then navigating, although when I listen to DLNA streams on my receiver I don't really have to do that.
If all fails try doing a factory reset on the device.

post #608 of 621 Old 07-12-2014, 11:28 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post
Alternatively it could be the function of your remote is not set to the correct one.
Try pressing the RECEIVER button and then navigating, although when I listen to DLNA streams on my receiver I don't really have to do that.
Hi Exist_To_Resist,

I really appreciate the help. Thank you so much!

It was the different modes on the remote. I was selecting iPod/USB with the input selector dial on the front or using the curved arrow keys on the remote. I had to actually press iPod/USB button to enable the arrow and enter keys on the remote. I didn't have to do this on the SC-05, so this was what was messing me up. Thank you again.

The interface works pretty well when you get the hang of it. I was surprised that it's possible to press the RECEIVER button and enter the audio/video parameters or the home menu while the unit is playing a mp3 file from the flash. I'm really impressed with the performance of this unit, especially considering it's inexpensive cost.

Thanks!
post #609 of 621 Old 07-13-2014, 05:18 AM

Liked: 10
About the only big change I make with my 1123 audio setting is when I use Netflix and that is because Netflix was included in my TV but only as 2 channel stereo in 720P. In order to use it TV is the input and I have to change the DSP. Unlike VUDU which was also included in the TV but works great as 5.1 in 1080P, in DVD quality.
For AT&T UVerse I leave the 1123 set as DD then either ALC or Surround Sound.
For BD I set the audio in the BD menu which will for example auto turn on Master HD or Tru DD on the 1123.
For a CD played through my DB or CD players I might change the DSP to control 2 channel or surround.
Same with Internet Radio, Pandora, Media Server. It works with whatever DSP I have the 1123 set to but might sound better using another DSP.
I find that whatever I set the 1123 to use for a particular input it remembers the next time I use it. Nice feature.
Get the Pioneer i-Control AV 2013 App. It is much easier to use than the standard remote and adds the Push Player so I can play music straight off my Android through the 1123, plus Emphasis Dialog enhancement, which according to Pioneer is only available through the app.
post #610 of 621 Old 07-18-2014, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
No sound

I finally got the chance to setup my unit.

But unfortunately I couldn't get any sound out of the reciever.

I didn't connect all the speakers yet juts the zone 2 Do I have to connect all speakers to get sound ?

I tried various inputs....

Help please
post #611 of 621 Old 07-18-2014, 09:10 AM

Same boat

I just picked this unit up yesterday on a BB open box for dirt cheap. I was hoping to use it for the streaming abilities but oddly enough, I'm having the exact same issue. No audio is being passed from the receiver over HDMI. I know the HDMI works because my Marantz was just plugged into the same cables and all worked perfectly. I've now done the firmware and loaded the av2013 app but still no audio. I did try MCACC and the test tones are audible over the speakers. What gives? Is there a setting I'm missing? Any pointers would be awesome!! Thanks!
post #612 of 621 Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 AM

OK, my issue wasnt from HDMI as I am not having any HDMi connected to the AVR (yet) it was tested with Internet radio, shared libraries from my PC and Tuner.

But - the issue is resolved, after hooking up ALL 5.1 speakers and pressing the "Speakers: On" the sound came out

Now I am fiddling with zone 2 - I selected it but cannot here anything

BTW - I am contrling the AVR wither from remote, iPad or the unit - I dont see the menus via HDMI on my TV (as its isnt connected)

Anyone know how to get Zone 2 tested?
post #613 of 621 Old 07-18-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofird View Post
OK, my issue wasnt from HDMI as I am not having any HDMi connected to the AVR (yet) it was tested with Internet radio, shared libraries from my PC and Tuner.

But - the issue is resolved, after hooking up ALL 5.1 speakers and pressing the "Speakers: On" the sound came out

BTW - I am contrling the AVR wither from remote, iPad or the unit - I dont see the menus via HDMI on my TV (as its isnt connected)

Well, my issue seems to have resolved itself. I unplugged the unit for a bit and came back to it. Now, I'm getting sound. I'm hoping this was just a odd fluke but it doesn't give me much confidence in the HDMI board.
post #614 of 621 Old 07-18-2014, 12:22 PM

"IN1" versus "BD IN"?

I ordered the VSX-1123 last week from Amazon, and just hooked it up the other day. Initially things went fine, but then all video dropped out about 45 minutes later (audio was still fine.) I have a Samsung TV, and the screen said "Mode not supported." I tried 3 different HDMI inputs on the Samsung, with the same results. Finally, I decided to try a different HDMI cable, and things started working again. So if anyone else has weird issues with video dropping out, a new/different HDMI cable might to the trick.

Anyway, I did have one question. On the back of the VSX-1123, there are 2 inputs labeled "IN1" and "BD IN" right next each other. Are these 2 separate inputs, which can support 2 different HD sources? I have an Oppo Blue Ray player that I am going to connect, and I'm a little confused about "IN1" versus "BD IN".

Sorry if I missed this answer; I have read through the majority of this thread, but didn't see this discussed.
post #615 of 621 Old 07-18-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Hi ofird, are you using the speaker terminal "Surround Back/Zone2"? If so, Speaker System menu need to be set to ZONE 2 found under Manual Sp Setup.
post #616 of 621 Old 07-18-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi ofird, are you using the speaker terminal "Surround Back/Zone2"? If so, Speaker System menu need to be set to ZONE 2 found under Manual Sp Setup.
I have pressed the speaker multi zone and it indicates zone 2 on

I pressed the control multi zone to select the source of music from my shared libraries.

The speakers are set to sb/fh on.

It look like its playing but i don't here sound
Is it only possible to configrure via tv screen connected to the avr?

Last edited by ofird; 07-19-2014 at 07:38 AM.
post #617 of 621 Old 07-19-2014, 12:25 PM

I finally got it working!

I had to enter the menu setup on the TV (via HDMI) and manually set the speaker system to Zone 2

nothing else worked, note to others that some settings can be reached only through the menu presented on your TV

One of the things I noticed that when Zone 2 is playing some of the functionalities are limited on Zone 1

for example I couldn't play internet radio in Zone 2 and Media server on Zone 1 at the same time, is that true?

Another question i have is how do I determine if I connected the right speaker wire to the right input?
I have long wires running through walls and cannot see the source - is there a test for 5.1 speakers saying "left front" "center" " right front"...etc to each speaker to notice this?
post #618 of 621 Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
I finally got it working!

I had to enter the menu setup on the TV (via HDMI) and manually set the speaker system to Zone 2

nothing else worked, note to others that some settings can be reached only through the menu presented on your TV

One of the things I noticed that when Zone 2 is playing some of the functionalities are limited on Zone 1

for example I couldn't play internet radio in Zone 2 and Media server on Zone 1 at the same time, is that true?

Another question i have is how do I determine if I connected the right speaker wire to the right input?
I have long wires running through walls and cannot see the source - is there a test for 5.1 speakers saying "left front" "center" " right front"...etc to each speaker to notice this?
If you run through the MCACC setup/wizard, your TV will show you which speaker it's testing (it flashes each speaker on the screen when it's running the tests). That should confirm that you've got everything wired correctly.
post #619 of 621 Old 07-21-2014, 07:43 AM

^^
Thanks I made it happen via the Channel level setup - now I got all speakers appropriately

next questions in line -

1) I have connected the TV optical out to the AVR optical in (indicated as TV), and I am trying to hear the sound of that input via the AVR (hopefully as 5.1) - what should the settings on the AVR to enable this?

2) ARC - I have enabled ARC and I am trying to hear TV sound via the HDMI ARC (I have a samsung TV and I have Anynet+CEC on it), what should be the settings of the AVR to enable this?

Appreciate your help!
post #620 of 621 Old 07-22-2014, 04:41 AM

Seems that option 1 has been disabled due to arc which was enabled
So option 1 works great for me
post #621 of 621 Old 07-22-2014, 04:44 AM

Control apps - I am using icontrolav2013
Which works great
Are you using or recommending anything else?

I am looking for an app which supports adding playlists or folders to favorites... Currently I can only enable a song or radio station which isn't enough for me
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , pioneer vsx-1123-k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page