Official Pioneer VSX-1123-K Owners thread - Page 28 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #811 of 899 Old 11-03-2014, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for the basic question, is there any way to set this receiver up to use Stereo w/ Subwoofer? I have spent way too long trying to get this to work. I install commercial AV equipment for living and it always boggles my mind how difficult they make setting all this stuff up. I have downloaded the software, run through everything with the Advanced MCACC, it recognized that my system only had a L,R and Sub. It also had a really interesting EQ curve particularly around the crossover frequency of my L and R speakers, but that is for another post.

Any ideas on this or should I just return it and try to find a basic 5.1 receiver?

*Forgot to mention, I found the F.S. Surround Setting, and it works with the L and R speakers, but does appear to be sending any signal to the subwoofer output*

Thanks

Last edited by sbarnesvta; 11-03-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 899 Old 11-03-2014, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Yes you need to set the subwoofer setting to plus in the menu.

post #813 of 899 Old 11-03-2014, 09:01 PM

I think it's under speaker settings somewhere.

Check page 85 of the manual under the "Manual Speaker Setup" heading.

Last edited by Exist_To_Resist; 11-04-2014 at 07:28 AM.
post #814 of 899 Old 11-13-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just read through this entire thread.

Thinking about getting this to replace a VSX-53 with a failing HDMI board.

Has the RGB crushed blacks issue been resolved? This is a big deal for me as I am a pretty big gamer with last gen and current gen consoles. If this hasn't been fixed through pioneer, what is the best way to setup the consoles with regards to RGB vs.Y ouput and what should the receiver be set to?

Thanks
post #815 of 899 Old 11-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there a "Programming the Pioneer VSX 1123 K for Dummies" manual? I do not understand half the stuff they say in the actual manual. My last reciever was 20 years old. I'm old school.
post #816 of 899 Old 11-15-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl58 View Post
Is there a "Programming the Pioneer VSX 1123 K for Dummies" manual? I do not understand half the stuff they say in the actual manual. My last reciever was 20 years old. I'm old school.
Read this thread.
post #817 of 899 Old 11-22-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone know why I might be getting an echoy-ping type noise from my left and right surrounds? It is only when the input may not be 5.1 or 7.1 say during commercials while watching a lions game. Do not hear it from fronts or center.
You've gotta help me, I've tried nothin' and I'm all out of ideas

Just an update here for anyone who experiences the same thing, problem solved it was apparently just the advanced surround sports deciding that I should have a weird sound in the back, not quite sure why it only did it sometimes but I changed to prologic and it's good

Last edited by juggaleo; 12-06-2014 at 05:40 PM.
post #818 of 899 Old 11-23-2014, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Many vsx 1123 troubles

thanks again

Last edited by lisa48314; 12-05-2014 at 12:10 AM.
post #819 of 899 Old 11-24-2014, 11:43 AM

Liked: 12
Hi folks.
I was ready to buy the Yamaha V675 at $399 until I saw this Pioneer VS-1123 at $50 cheaper! Before I pull the trigger can you please confirm it will handle my key requirements?

1. Receiver automatically powers on when I play Airplay using my iPhone. In other words, I can hear my music simply by using my phone without having to mess with the receiver.
2. I can play Airplay music out to my patio speakers using the powered Zone 2.
3. The receiver auto powers down after inactivity. These things get so hot I love the fact that they will auto power off after inactivity.

Thanks!
post #820 of 899 Old 11-25-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post
Hi folks.
I was ready to buy the Yamaha V675 at $399 until I saw this Pioneer VS-1123 at $50 cheaper! Before I pull the trigger can you please confirm it will handle my key requirements?

1. Receiver automatically powers on when I play Airplay using my iPhone. In other words, I can hear my music simply by using my phone without having to mess with the receiver.
2. I can play Airplay music out to my patio speakers using the powered Zone 2.
3. The receiver auto powers down after inactivity. These things get so hot I love the fact that they will auto power off after inactivity.

Thanks!
  1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Yes
Of course, you have to enable settings for each of those items, but the AVR has those three features.
post #821 of 899 Old 11-25-2014, 02:41 PM

Liked: 12
Thanks TrafficGuy.
Now to find the best deal...
post #822 of 899 Old 11-27-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just for clarification sake, when I have my HTPC (Windows Media Center) connected to the 1123 and use hdzone to mirror will the 1123 only output stereo to both zones?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jeff
post #823 of 899 Old 12-04-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator99 View Post
Just for clarification sake, when I have my HTPC (Windows Media Center) connected to the 1123 and use hdzone to mirror will the 1123 only output stereo to both zones?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
No it will mirror everything including the sound. So if you're feeding it 5.1 and you're using mirror mode in HDZONE it will output 5.1.
Gator99 likes this.

post #824 of 899 Old 12-04-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post
No it will mirror everything including the sound. So if you're feeding it 5.1 and you're using mirror mode in HDZONE it will output 5.1.
It may output a 5.1 signal to both zones but it will not power 10 channels.
Exist_To_Resist likes this.
post #825 of 899 Old 12-05-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok here is what I am seeing. When I have hdzone off my main zone plays 5.1 just fine, when I turn hdzone on and I am feeding hdzone to just a stereo TV no 5.1 system it is forcing both zones to stereo which I don't want it to do. I guess I need to re loom at all my settings.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jeff
post #826 of 899 Old 12-07-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Guys, I got this receiver for my living room 3 months ago, but just had time to install it last week. It was working good, all night for a party.
Yesterdey, I turn it on again for a movie for the kidds and I get no sound from any HDMI input! The receiver doesnt show any sound coming in. If I plug a coaxial cable and switch the sound input to digital coaxial, it works. But I need the HDMI working... Any ideas?

Another question: to use ARC and get the sound from TV, what input does the receiver have to be? TV?

Thanks for any help!

Sorry for bad english...
post #827 of 899 Old 12-08-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrangel View Post
Guys, I got this receiver for my living room 3 months ago, but just had time to install it last week. It was working good, all night for a party.
Yesterdey, I turn it on again for a movie for the kidds and I get no sound from any HDMI input! The receiver doesnt show any sound coming in. If I plug a coaxial cable and switch the sound input to digital coaxial, it works. But I need the HDMI working... Any ideas?
I've been having this issue with my 1123 for a few months. Periodically (and more frequently lately), I get no sound from any HDMI input but the sound works from all non-HDMI inputs. The only work-around I've come up with is to unplug the unit from the mains for 10-15 seconds. Works fine (for a week or so) after plugging it in again.

Quote:
Another question: to use ARC and get the sound from TV, what input does the receiver have to be? TV?

Thanks for any help!
Yes, I believe the input has to on TV to get sound via ARC. You may also have to make a setting in the tv's menus.
post #828 of 899 Old 12-08-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficGuy View Post
I've been having this issue with my 1123 for a few months. Periodically (and more frequently lately), I get no sound from any HDMI input but the sound works from all non-HDMI inputs. The only work-around I've come up with is to unplug the unit from the mains for 10-15 seconds. Works fine (for a week or so) after plugging it in again.

Yes, I believe the input has to on TV to get sound via ARC. You may also have to make a setting in the tv's menus.
Sounds like a bad HDMI board to me, I'd RMA it with Pioneer.

And yes ARC is used on the TV option.

post #829 of 899 Old 12-08-2014, 08:06 AM

Well, my VSX-1123 is getting harder to deal with. I've written here before that I've had issues getting sound out from HDMI sources while sound continued to work from non-HDMI sources. Previously, that issue was occurring about once every 2-3 weeks. Now, it's happening at least once a week. The workaround has been to unplug it for 10-15 seconds.

The AVR is also having other issues. Sometimes when you turn it on, you have to change sources in order to get video & audio out. This happens in particular with our AT&T DVR. Turn on the receiver with that source already selected, and there's no picture or sound. Use the Pioneer remote to go "up" (or "down") one source and back again and then picture and sound work. Playing audio from an iPhone is troublesome, with lots of drop-outs and eventually a complete loss of connection (using AirPlay from a MacBook Pro, however, is mostly error-free).

The latest issue is that the receiver just "locks up." You can't change the source or the volume at all. It almost is like we needed new batteries for the remote (which I replaced), but it also will not respond using the button & dials on the front of the unit. I messed around with it for a while yesterday. It worked fine for a while after unplugging it for more than 20 minutes but reverted to the locked up state shortly after.

Looks like when I get back from the current business trip, I'll be on the phone with Panasonic (or Abt?) for a warranty call.
post #830 of 899 Old 12-08-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficGuy View Post
Well, my VSX-1123 is getting harder to deal with. I've written here before that I've had issues getting sound out from HDMI sources while sound continued to work from non-HDMI sources. Previously, that issue was occurring about once every 2-3 weeks. Now, it's happening at least once a week. The workaround has been to unplug it for 10-15 seconds.

The AVR is also having other issues. Sometimes when you turn it on, you have to change sources in order to get video & audio out. This happens in particular with our AT&T DVR. Turn on the receiver with that source already selected, and there's no picture or sound. Use the Pioneer remote to go "up" (or "down") one source and back again and then picture and sound work. Playing audio from an iPhone is troublesome, with lots of drop-outs and eventually a complete loss of connection (using AirPlay from a MacBook Pro, however, is mostly error-free).

The latest issue is that the receiver just "locks up." You can't change the source or the volume at all. It almost is like we needed new batteries for the remote (which I replaced), but it also will not respond using the button & dials on the front of the unit. I messed around with it for a while yesterday. It worked fine for a while after unplugging it for more than 20 minutes but reverted to the locked up state shortly after.

Looks like when I get back from the current business trip, I'll be on the phone with Panasonic (or Abt?) for a warranty call.
Yeah you should definitively give them a call. I don't have any of the issues you mention. Having said that I found that when I'm using ARC it causes more problems than it's worth. However if it's getting progressively worse it's a clear sign of a defect.

Good luck.

post #831 of 899 Old 12-09-2014, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the sugestions. I tryed unplug the power cord for a few hours but it didnt work. I still get no sound from any HDMI input.
Maybe it´s a bad board.

Sorry for bad english...
post #832 of 899 Old 12-09-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the sugestions. I tryed unplug the power cord for a few hours but it didnt work. I still get no sound from any HDMI input.
Maybe it´s a bad board.
Double check your speaker settings.

post #833 of 899 Old 12-09-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Maybe it´s a bad board.
Also do a firmware update if you haven't done so already.

post #834 of 899 Old 12-09-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Having said that I found that when I'm using ARC it causes more problems than it's worth.
+1
post #835 of 899 Old 12-10-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Double check your speaker settings.
Already did, but the receiver didnt show any signal coming in, so not the problem. And the speaker worked great with the calibration noise.

Quote:
Also do a firmware update if you haven't done so already.
It´s updated.
Any way, I dont know why, I let it unplug from the wall for a whole day and now all hdmi seem to be working. go figure...

Sorry for bad english...
post #836 of 899 Old 12-10-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Already did, but the receiver didnt show any signal coming in, so not the problem. And the speaker worked great with the calibration noise.

It´s updated.
Any way, I dont know why, I let it unplug from the wall for a whole day and now all hdmi seem to be working. go figure...
Interesting, do you think you had a setting in there somewhere, and the unplug factory reset it?

post #837 of 899 Old 12-10-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Interesting, do you think you had a setting in there somewhere, and the unplug factory reset it?
I really dont know... I didnt change any setting I havent tryed before.
I think it was just the time un-powered, maybe it reset something... Not factory reset becouse it still has a lot of personal configs like input names and calibration setting.

Sorry for bad english...
post #838 of 899 Old 12-10-2014, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Why is there no vsx 1124 official owners thread?
post #839 of 899 Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 AM

In manual speaker setup when going to channel level, I get no test tone out of my subwoofer. I thought I remembered getting it before but maybe that was when running auto setup. Sub seems to be working fine and I can adjust the level, is this normal? Also a couple times while running mcacc the receiver shut down when it got to surround back left, anyone experience something like this?

Last edited by juggaleo; 12-12-2014 at 06:46 AM.
post #840 of 899 Old 12-12-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwokdog View Post
Why is there no vsx 1124 official owners thread?
I think this is all there is so far 2014 Pioneer VSX-1124/1024/824 discussions , think you could start one though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , pioneer vsx-1123-k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page