Official Pioneer VSX-1123-K Owners thread - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #961 of 970 Old 12-02-2015, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think there was some discussion earlier in the thread about the receiver unexpectantly manipulating the video. There was a non-intuative work around I think.

PDP-6010FD, VSX1123K, HW-150PVR, Snell E111 Mains, Polk Center, VTF3Mk4 Sub, DIY surrounds, HD XA2, DMR HS2, DV F27, HR21-200, TH-50PH9UK, VSP-1100, PSW200... some other stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 970 Old 01-07-2016, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had this receiver for about 2.5 years now, and so far it's been great. I have it connected to a Panasonic 55" plasma, and for audio it goes out to a fairly old Polk Audio soundbar (5.1) and subwoofer. It's got a cable box, Fire TV, Apple TV, and an HTPC going in to it for sources. I turned it on today and I have no audio coming out to the soundbar. I've switched to all of the inputs and none of them work. I went into the speaker setup for the receiver and when I ran the setup I got the test tones coming out of the soundbar. So audio does come through the receiver into the speaker. I've checked the mute for the receiver and all of the inputs and it's not on. Also, it would be unlikely that ALL of the inputs would be muted, or have the same audio issue at the same time. I went through the manual and checked every item on the "Why isn't sound coming from my receiver?" question.

I have no idea what else to check, and Pioneer support is only open during my normal business hours, so I can't even call and try to get help without taking time off work.

Any help is really appreciated!!
post #963 of 970 Old 01-14-2016, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by eappell View Post
I've had this receiver for about 2.5 years now, and so far it's been great. I have it connected to a Panasonic 55" plasma, and for audio it goes out to a fairly old Polk Audio soundbar (5.1) and subwoofer. It's got a cable box, Fire TV, Apple TV, and an HTPC going in to it for sources. I turned it on today and I have no audio coming out to the soundbar. I've switched to all of the inputs and none of them work. I went into the speaker setup for the receiver and when I ran the setup I got the test tones coming out of the soundbar. So audio does come through the receiver into the speaker. I've checked the mute for the receiver and all of the inputs and it's not on. Also, it would be unlikely that ALL of the inputs would be muted, or have the same audio issue at the same time. I went through the manual and checked every item on the "Why isn't sound coming from my receiver?" question.

I have no idea what else to check, and Pioneer support is only open during my normal business hours, so I can't even call and try to get help without taking time off work.

Any help is really appreciated!!
This is going to sound stupid...But have you tried a different cable to the sound bar...or a different output device?

Or driving the bar from a different source?
post #964 of 970 Old 01-15-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethor View Post
This is going to sound stupid...But have you tried a different cable to the sound bar...or a different output device?

Or driving the bar from a different source?
No, it doesn't sound stupid - it's the first thing I thought of when I realized I had a problem. That's why I ran the audio test through the receiver's setup menu. The fact that I got test tone audio from the receiver, unless I'm missing something, seems to indicate that the wires connecting the receiver to the soundbar are working. Otherwise I wouldn't get audio, right? Same goes for the the source. I don't know if I have any other sources with speaker wire jacks, but if I can find something, like an old receiver in the garage, I'll try that today. I'm off work today, so I can actually call Pioneer and see if their tech support can help me. I tried it again last night, and I noticed when I turn the volume knob on the receiver I hear the audible "clicks" coming from the soundbar, but no audio from the source. Not sure what that means, but hopefully it helps diagnose the issue...

Thanks!
post #965 of 970 Old 01-15-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
No, it doesn't sound stupid - it's the first thing I thought of when I realized I had a problem. That's why I ran the audio test through the receiver's setup menu. The fact that I got test tone audio from the receiver, unless I'm missing something, seems to indicate that the wires connecting the receiver to the soundbar are working. Otherwise I wouldn't get audio, right? Same goes for the the source. I don't know if I have any other sources with speaker wire jacks, but if I can find something, like an old receiver in the garage, I'll try that today. I'm off work today, so I can actually call Pioneer and see if their tech support can help me. I tried it again last night, and I noticed when I turn the volume knob on the receiver I hear the audible "clicks" coming from the soundbar, but no audio from the source. Not sure what that means, but hopefully it helps diagnose the issue...

Thanks!
I don't have a schematic of the internals handy, but I suppose there's a chance there's a fuse on the inputs that could have popped.

Her's another test you can try. Can you get audio out from the FM radio our internet radio? Anything that doesn't require one of the physical inputs.
post #966 of 970 Old 01-15-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I don't have a schematic of the internals handy, but I suppose there's a chance there's a fuse on the inputs that could have popped.

Her's another test you can try. Can you get audio out from the FM radio our internet radio? Anything that doesn't require one of the physical inputs.
Great, thanks for the suggestion! Yes, I do get audio from the speaker when it's on Tuner, or Internet Radio. I don't have an antenna connected, so all I hear is static on the tuner, but the internet radio works fine, and the audio is perfect. No static, no indication that it's impaired in any way. So it must be something about external inputs. I have four different external inputs, none of them are able to send audio through to the soundbar, and that happened all at once. That tells me that it's not the inputs, but something that stopped working on the receiver, or some setting that I'm not aware of got changed...? Is my logic right here?
post #967 of 970 Old 01-15-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Great, thanks for the suggestion! Yes, I do get audio from the speaker when it's on Tuner, or Internet Radio. I don't have an antenna connected, so all I hear is static on the tuner, but the internet radio works fine, and the audio is perfect. No static, no indication that it's impaired in any way. So it must be something about external inputs. I have four different external inputs, none of them are able to send audio through to the soundbar, and that happened all at once. That tells me that it's not the inputs, but something that stopped working on the receiver, or some setting that I'm not aware of got changed...? Is my logic right here?
Yea...that's why I'm thinking there must be a fuse in the receiver or something. Worst case...the chip fried that controls the switching. Good luck
post #968 of 970 Old 01-15-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Yea...that's why I'm thinking there must be a fuse in the receiver or something. Worst case...the chip fried that controls the switching. Good luck
I searched the manual for the word fuse and there isn't one mention of the word, so not sure if there's a fuse. I don't see one anywhere. Hopefully it's not a bad chip... I'm not sure what the warranty is on this thing, but I think I've had it for a couple years. I'm waiting for a callback from tech support now. I'll post back here if and when I figure out what the issue is.
post #969 of 970 Old 01-15-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I'm waiting for a callback from tech support now. I'll post back here if and when I figure out what the issue is.
I got a call back (took about 2 hours, btw) from Pioneer Tech Support. We went through a bunch of diagnostic tests, but he couldn't figure out what caused the issue. Finally, we rest the receiver to factory settings, and that got the audio working again. He said he didn't know what caused it, and hopefully it won't happen again... I had to re-setup the receiver, but it wasn't too bad. At least I don't have to buy a new receiver!!
post #970 of 970 Old 01-15-2016, 01:46 PM

Good deal. Glad it worked out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , pioneer vsx-1123-k
Gear in this thread