Official Pioneer VSX-1123-K Owners thread - Page 35 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
post #1021 of 1050 Unread 12-04-2016, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bali Singh View Post
I could really use your help, as I am by no means any kind of expert on how to set AV stuff really well.

So I've had the VSX-1123 for a few years. Had it hooked up with DirectTv and now Xfinity cable going into the Receiver and then to my TV, which was 10 years old running 720. Everything was fine, though about a year or so ago, it seems like Sub out stopped working correctly.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, got a new 4K TV, hooked it up the same way, and the video was choppy at best - very hard to watch. thought it was the Tv, so upgraded to a Sony 65" 850D.. again, picture real choppy. In trouble shooting, I bypassed the receiver, and surprisingly, the video is quite smooth. What can I do to run my cable, and DVD through the Receiver, and get smooth Video?

Given my sub out failed, could it be my Receiver is taking a dump? Also, I never did a firmware update, as I don't know how on the Receiver. Can you help on this as well?

I'd hate to buy a new Receiver if I don't have to.

TIA!
Bali
You might have one of the video processing modes on and it's causing two layers of processing (receiver and then tv). I'd disable the upscaling and all other video processing on the receiver and let the tv handle it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1050 Unread 12-04-2016, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluethor View Post
You might have one of the video processing modes on and it's causing two layers of processing (receiver and then tv). I'd disable the upscaling and all other video processing on the receiver and let the tv handle it.
How can I tell if it's turned on, on the receiver?
post #1023 of 1050 Unread 12-04-2016, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That's the problem; I initially had the same issue. If for each source, hit the "video settings" button on the remote and make sure it's set to just pass through the source.

If you need specifics, I can probably look up the exact setting tomorrow.

post #1024 of 1050 Unread 12-04-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennya View Post
That's the problem; I initially had the same issue. If for each source, hit the "video settings" button on the remote and make sure it's set to just pass through the source.

If you need specifics, I can probably look up the exact setting tomorrow.
Specifics would be great! Thank you!!!
-bali
post #1025 of 1050 Unread 12-05-2016, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Okay, this should be simple, but how do I set the receiver to play surround data from the optical input? (When video is not in play, using it for audio passthrough from the TV.) I see a couple of HDMI inputs that let me choose optical, many don't, but how I can I just switch to "optical audio"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bali Singh View Post
Specifics would be great! Thank you!!!
-bali
Okay, with an HDMI source active, press the "Video Parameter" button on your remote (near the center circle control) and change the V.CONV setting to "Off". This disables the VSX-1123-K's internal video conversion and lets the TV do it.

With it on, the receiver was scaling the picture once, and then the TV was rescaling that. Thus the jerkiness.
post #1026 of 1050 Unread 12-05-2016, 08:27 PM

"Okay, with an HDMI source active, press the "Video Parameter" button on your remote (near the center circle control) and change the V.CONV setting to "Off". This disables the VSX-1123-K's internal video conversion and lets the TV do it.

With it on, the receiver was scaling the picture once, and then the TV was rescaling that. Thus the jerkiness."

This really helped ALOT! Still not as smooth as hooking it up direct, but damn close. Last thing, is there a way to correct the voice sync? It feels off by a couple of hundred milliseconds. I know some receivers can do this.

Thanks again!
post #1027 of 1050 Unread 12-07-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennya View Post
Okay, this should be simple, but how do I set the receiver to play surround data from the optical input? (When video is not in play, using it for audio passthrough from the TV.) I see a couple of HDMI inputs that let me choose optical, many don't, but how I can I just switch to "optical audio"?

Okay, with an HDMI source active, press the "Video Parameter" button on your remote (near the center circle control) and change the V.CONV setting to "Off". This disables the VSX-1123-K's internal video conversion and lets the TV do it.

With it on, the receiver was scaling the picture once, and then the TV was rescaling that. Thus the jerkiness.
This really helped ALOT! Still not as smooth as hooking it up direct, but damn close. Last thing, is there a way to correct the voice sync? It feels off by a couple of hundred milliseconds. I know some receivers can do this.

Thanks again!
Bali
post #1028 of 1050 Unread 12-23-2016, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrajones View Post
I purchased a better network switch to prove the Ethernet Interfaces on my Pioneer Receivers are resetting due to UPnP/SSDP traffic. I can duplicate this every time by asking my Amazon Echo to "discovery devices". This causes *all* of my Pioneer receivers on my network to issue a TCP RST to any connected client. My new network switches clearly showing the links dropping.

Log System Up Time Trap
0 2 days 00:30:48 Link Up: g3
1 2 days 00:30:46 Link Up: g2
2 2 days 00:30:30 Link Down: g3
3 2 days 00:30:30 Link Down: g2
I installed the latest update from Pioneer which said it addressed network stability issues, but the Amazon Echo still knocks it offline while using AirPlay. Did anyone else find a solution other than using a managed network switch?
post #1029 of 1050 Unread 12-31-2016, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi guys,

New to this forum. i have been running with the 1123 for a couple of years now, think its a great amp. I recently upgraded my fronts (Klipsch Synergy F30), center (Klipsch Synergy C20) and added a second Klipsch SUB-12 subwoofer. thought the sound was good before with my Klipsch Synergy F10 single 6.5" driver, but wanted more to fill out my 20' x 20' room. I ran auto MCACC but don't seem to be getting the most out of the bigger speakers with 2x 8" drivers and also the 2nd sub volume seems lower than the original sub plugged into the sub 1 input. The subs are identical and the manual says the same sound is output from the 2 subwoofers.

I was hoping for a fuller richer sound, but even the bigger center channel (5.25" drivers vs. 4" drivers) seems to sound a bit "tinny".

Any ideas or suggestions? should I just run full auto MCACC?

Thanks
post #1030 of 1050 Unread 01-01-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz27 View Post
Hi guys,

New to this forum. i have been running with the 1123 for a couple of years now, think its a great amp. I recently upgraded my fronts (Klipsch Synergy F30), center (Klipsch Synergy C20) and added a second Klipsch SUB-12 subwoofer. thought the sound was good before with my Klipsch Synergy F10 single 6.5" driver, but wanted more to fill out my 20' x 20' room. I ran auto MCACC but don't seem to be getting the most out of the bigger speakers with 2x 8" drivers and also the 2nd sub volume seems lower than the original sub plugged into the sub 1 input. The subs are identical and the manual says the same sound is output from the 2 subwoofers.

I was hoping for a fuller richer sound, but even the bigger center channel (5.25" drivers vs. 4" drivers) seems to sound a bit "tinny".

Any ideas or suggestions? should I just run full auto MCACC?

Thanks
Try configuring the speakers as "small" if you haven't already. That helped me quite a bit.
post #1031 of 1050 Unread 01-01-2017, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Try configuring the speakers as "small" if you haven't already. That helped me quite a bit.
The small/large is NOT referring to the speakers size, it about the speakers frequency range. If you have a good sub woofer, then coniigure the other speakers as small
post #1032 of 1050 Unread 01-01-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
The small/large is NOT referring to the speakers size, it about the speakers frequency range. If you have a good sub woofer, then coniigure the other speakers as small
That's why I recommended it...
post #1033 of 1050 Unread 01-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone use the HDZone output to power a set of stereo speakers and send a video signal to a TV, per page 32 in the manual?

I cannot get this to work. Using the Sat (HDMI 2) input I get a video signal but nothing from the speakers hooked up to the HDZone terminals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0641.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	1866769  
post #1034 of 1050 Unread 01-01-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksujeff99 View Post
Does anyone use the HDZone output to power a set of stereo speakers and send a video signal to a TV, per page 32 in the manual?

I cannot get this to work. Using the Sat (HDMI 2) input I get a video signal but nothing from the speakers hooked up to the HDZone terminals.
Hi ksujeff99, check your speaker and Zone settings.
- under 4a1 Speaker System > ZONE 2
- under 4f7 Play Zone Setup > Play Zone to Zone 2
- under 4f5a Main/HDZone Setup >HDZone
post #1035 of 1050 Unread 01-01-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi ksujeff99, check your speaker and Zone settings.
- under 4a1 Speaker System > ZONE 2
- under 4f7 Play Zone Setup > Play Zone to Zone 2
- under 4f5a Main/HDZone Setup >HDZone
JChin, thanks for the reply.

I have the speaker system set to HDZONE rather than Zone 2, as it's an HDMI input that I would like output through the speakers connected to the Surround Back terminals. I can get Zone 2 to play analog audio through the speakers (even playing analog audio that I'm sending through the Sat/Cbl input), but nothing when set to HDZONE.

I thought the Play Zone Setup only applied to network audio. Regardless, I have tried to set it to both Zone 2 and HDZONE with no success.

I have the Main/HDZone set to HDZone.

Tonight I tried setting up the system in HDZone and switching the audio input using SIGSEL for the Sat/Cbl input to all three input methods (HDMI, Optical, and Analog) which I temporarily connected to audio sources. In all three cases I get audio from my main speakers but nothing from the second set of speakers.

I hear the amp switch on when I turn on the HDZone so it is theoretically getting power but just no signal. And I know the speaker connections are good as I get sound when I set up the system as a Zone 2 system and run analog audio.
post #1036 of 1050 Unread 01-01-2017, 09:33 PM

I'll add to my question that I have tested airplay with the HDZone and everything works perfectly. I can get audio and video (the now playing screen) to both my main and HDZones.

As another test, I tried switching the HDMI input for the HDZone to both DVD and BR. THe result was the same - no audio from the HDZone speakers but the video works fine.

I'm ready to give up. It's so frustrating. I think it has to be a hardware/software bug.
post #1037 of 1050 Unread 01-01-2017, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Quote:
I'll add to my question that I have tested airplay with the HDZone and everything works perfectly. I can get audio and video (the now playing screen) to both my main and HDZones.

As another test, I tried switching the HDMI input for the HDZone to both DVD and BR. THe result was the same - no audio from the HDZone speakers but the video works fine.

I'm ready to give up. It's so frustrating. I think it has to be a hardware/software bug.
The VSX-1123-K manual on page 31 show a different HDZone diagram then your attached diagram (possible misprint).
HDZone and Zone 2 are two separate functions where HDZone only passes HDMI signals and Zone 2 only passes analog signals.
So HDMI input source will not produce sound out of Surround Back/HDZone speaker terminals unless an analog connection is made.
post #1038 of 1050 Unread 01-02-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
The VSX-1123-K manual on page 31 show a different HDZone diagram then your attached diagram (possible misprint).
Aaah, you're right. I just downloaded the current version of of the manual from the Pioneer website and they've removed the speaker connections from the HDZone diagram.

If the new diagram is accurate then why do I get audio from the speakers when using AirPlay? I smell a coverup!

Honestly though, it doesn't make sense that the Surround Back/HDZone terminals are labeled as such if the receiver cannot power speakers when using HDZone. I think it's a feature that shipped, then didn't work and Pioneer updated their manual to reflect that.
post #1039 of 1050 Unread 01-02-2017, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1123 network stability issues

Hi everyone, first post here so pardon any errors in etiquette please

I've owned 3 1123-k units since 2014 and they have always exhibited instability, most notably with IP network connection. Aside from the Pandora issue, I had one that had a loose rj45 connector that had to have the board replaced, but all three have had a problem where after the units are in use (as in plugged in, on or standby) for some time the network connectivity drops. All are hard wired with Cat5e cable to rj45 connector and initially network set up goes fine, unit is seen on network, can connect to internet, iControl app sees it and works fine. After a while, from hours to months, the unit drops off the network. Cannot ping, router doesn't see Mac addr, yet in System Setup, the unit still shows all network settings intact. Only measure I have taken that seems to work temporarily is power off or hard reset. Longer I leave without power, completely unplugged, better it seems to do. Something else of note, during an earlier period of desperation, I replaced one of the 1123's with a vsx-80. The vsx-80 has been ROCK SOLID, never an issue in almost 2 years. The units are in two separate homes, yes I've tried rotating them between homes/networks and one AV shop analyzed one unit with the behavior and declared it in good shape.

Was hoping latest (finally!) firmware might address, while good for Pandora, in my case it didn't help stability.

Anyone else seen this issue? I did try to scan board but did not see any postings on this. Thanks for reading and appreciate any suggestions.
post #1040 of 1050 Unread 01-02-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I do have them configured this way, and recently ran the MCACC again on full auto mode. this time I ran it with only sub 1 on, and It sounds OK, but something still missing, especially the center channel, which sounds weak compared to the other smaller center I was using. MCACC sets up my fronts as large and all other speakers in my 5.1 as small, with a 100 khz cut off. Even with that cutoff, which I think is too high for the fronts I use, it still doesn't sound as balanced as it did with my smaller speaker setup. Funny thing is that with my smaller speakers the recommended sub is a 10", and i use a 12" that sounds better with smaller speakers than my new larger ones. Doesn't really make sense to me, but I think i will have to try messing around with speaker (sub) placement and manual speaker setup.
post #1041 of 1050 Unread 01-02-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:

I figured it out tonight!

The 1123 will actually output HDMI sound over the Surround Back/HDZone speaker terminals but (in my testing) only if it's stereo PCM audio coming in over HDMI. Whenever the audio is coming in as Dolby Digital over HDMI, I get no sound in the HDZone. I was able to get HDZone audio through HDMI inputs from both an Apple TV and a TiVo via PCM audio.

Interestingly enough, the 1123 is doing the correct audio "handshake" with my TiVo. If the HDZone is turned on and I start playing a show with Dolby audio, the TiVo downgrades the audio to stereo PCM. If HDZone is turned off and I start playing a show with Dolby audio, the TiVo sends Dolby audio. Unfortunately if I'm already playing a show with Dolby audio and then turn on the HDZone, I don't get any sound from the HDZone speakers. That's a minor inconvenience and at least it's consistent and easy to fix.

It appears that Pioneer must have deemed this situation too complicated to support so they took the HDZone speaker setup out of their updated user manual.
post #1042 of 1050 Unread 01-04-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Lucas View Post
Hi everyone, first post here so pardon any errors in etiquette please

I've owned 3 1123-k units since 2014 and they have always exhibited instability, most notably with IP network connection. Aside from the Pandora issue, I had one that had a loose rj45 connector that had to have the board replaced, but all three have had a problem where after the units are in use (as in plugged in, on or standby) for some time the network connectivity drops. All are hard wired with Cat5e cable to rj45 connector and initially network set up goes fine, unit is seen on network, can connect to internet, iControl app sees it and works fine. After a while, from hours to months, the unit drops off the network. Cannot ping, router doesn't see Mac addr, yet in System Setup, the unit still shows all network settings intact. Only measure I have taken that seems to work temporarily is power off or hard reset. Longer I leave without power, completely unplugged, better it seems to do. Something else of note, during an earlier period of desperation, I replaced one of the 1123's with a vsx-80. The vsx-80 has been ROCK SOLID, never an issue in almost 2 years. The units are in two separate homes, yes I've tried rotating them between homes/networks and one AV shop analyzed one unit with the behavior and declared it in good shape.

Was hoping latest (finally!) firmware might address, while good for Pandora, in my case it didn't help stability.

Anyone else seen this issue? I did try to scan board but did not see any postings on this. Thanks for reading and appreciate any suggestions.
Update: found several links in other websites pointing to resets occurring on the Pioneer network interface due to UPnP/SSDP packets sent by Amazon Echo devices. I recently added two Echo devices in both homes and will attempt to prove out whether this is a potential root cause for why I am suddently noticing greater impact. Other sites have suggested notes to Pioneer support have gone unanswered so far...
post #1043 of 1050 Unread 01-05-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Update: found several links in other websites pointing to resets occurring on the Pioneer network interface due to UPnP/SSDP packets sent by Amazon Echo devices. I recently added two Echo devices in both homes and will attempt to prove out whether this is a potential root cause for why I am suddently noticing greater impact. Other sites have suggested notes to Pioneer support have gone unanswered so far...
I have two Amazon fire devices on my network and i have never lost network connectivity on the receiver over the past.. i think two years now? Maybe more. Can't remember when i bought this one... I use the Android app nearly daily to control volume and source switching.

Maybe I'm just lucky?...

Edit: misread that you said echo... Sounds like if that's the issue, then Amazon would most likely be to blame vs the receiver...
post #1044 of 1050 Unread 01-30-2017, 12:24 PM

Longtime lurker and first time poster here. I have a vsx-1123k that has been working pretty great for over 3 years. Yesterday I purchased an LG OLED65B6P and I can not get the dam thing to work with my receiver and Tivo Bolt. I'm at the point where I'm debating on going to Best Buy and picking up a Denon AVR-X1300W. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When connecting my Tivo to the receiver and the receiver to the TV I just get a black screen and no audio. Connecting the Tivo to the tv works perfectly and other devices connected to the receiver and out to the TV work. If I disconnect the receiver from the TV the audio returns. I've tried changing the video parameter settings to off as well as other hdmi ports on both the receiver and tv with no luck.
post #1045 of 1050 Unread 01-30-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Seiglie View Post
Longtime lurker and first time poster here. I have a vsx-1123k that has been working pretty great for over 3 years. Yesterday I purchased an LG OLED65B6P and I can not get the dam thing to work with my receiver and Tivo Bolt. I'm at the point where I'm debating on going to Best Buy and picking up a Denon AVR-X1300W. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

When connecting my Tivo to the receiver and the receiver to the TV I just get a black screen and no audio. Connecting the Tivo to the tv works perfectly and other devices connected to the receiver and out to the TV work. If I disconnect the receiver from the TV the audio returns. I've tried changing the video parameter settings to off as well as other hdmi ports on both the receiver and tv with no luck.
Kristian, try changing the video output of the TiVo. Maybe it's set at something the receiver can't handle? And you can force the TiVo to output PCM audio. That's another setting to test.

Also, trying doing a hard reset of the receiver. I recently had to do that because mine was doing strange things in the process of getting my second zone to work.

That's all I can think of. Good luck!
HowardHopkinson likes this.
post #1046 of 1050 Unread 01-30-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Kristian, try changing the video output of the TiVo. Maybe it's set at something the receiver can't handle? And you can force the TiVo to output PCM audio. That's another setting to test.

Also, trying doing a hard reset of the receiver. I recently had to do that because mine was doing strange things in the process of getting my second zone to work.

That's all I can think of. Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestions, I tried changing the Tivo to 1080 and PCM but had no luck. I'll try a hard reset tonight and see if that works. I'm wondering if maybe it's an issue with HDCP? It appears the Tivo uses HDCP 2.2 and I don't believe the receiver has it.
post #1047 of 1050 Unread 02-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved over to DISH and seem to be having issues getting the remote to control the volume on my VSX-1123. I have run thru all of the codes within DISH.

It does appear the remote works if I am in line of site of the receiver but I have the 1123 in a cabinet in an adjacent room so line of site is not available.

I assume the line of site is IR? Is there a RF possibility or am I going about this the wrong way?

Daniel
post #1048 of 1050 Unread 03-05-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I have two Amazon fire devices on my network and i have never lost network connectivity on the receiver over the past.. i think two years now? Maybe more. Can't remember when i bought this one... I use the Android app nearly daily to control volume and source switching.

Maybe I'm just lucky?...

Edit: misread that you said echo... Sounds like if that's the issue, then Amazon would most likely be to blame vs the receiver...
New issue on 1123-K and IP networking: After latest firmware update to correct Pandora server connect issue, is anyone else having problems with 1123-K receiver staying connected to network?

Again, 2 different 1123-K receivers owned since 2014. Originally had worked well, successive firmware updates introduced new issues. Latest does in fact correct the Pandora server connect issue, however what I now have are receivers that will not stay connected to IP network for more than 24 hours. Only a complete power cycle, disconnect AC plug, corrects the problem, allows the 1123-K to reconnect but only for 24 hours. Not a DHCP issue, same with fixed IP.

Both receivers exhibit same behavior, in two different homes/networks, different switch connections etc. Oddly again, VSX-80 Elite receiver has been solid. May be time to put these on eBay.
post #1049 of 1050 Unread 03-06-2017, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
New issue on 1123-K and IP networking: After latest firmware update to correct Pandora server connect issue, is anyone else having problems with 1123-K receiver staying connected to network?
Do you by any chance have an Amazon Echo on the same network? If so, check out this.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176005
post #1050 of 1050 Unread Today, 02:25 PM
kli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrim View Post
Do you by any chance have an Amazon Echo on the same network? If so, check out this.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176005
I have this same issue, and although I do have an Echo on the network, its been an issue since before I ever had the Echo.

The network setup shows an IP being assigned by DHCP, but I haven't been able to connect to the receiver in months, which is annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , pioneer vsx-1123-k
Gear in this thread