Advertisement

post #92 of 609 Old 07-10-2013, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplante View Post

I have the Optical-1 (Squeezebox Touch) assigned to the 'CD' input. It please very nicely on the 'Main' zone but refuses to play on Zone 2. I tried with both the remote control and iControlAV 2013. Zone 2 has no problem playing Pandora or my Media Server. I tried with the Main zone playing the CD at the same time. With Main off. Or with Main playing a different input.

Is there a reason why the CD input (optical? shouldn't work in Zone 2?

Thanks!

Only certain inputs work in Zone 2, you will have to take a closer look at the manual and which inputs get passed to Zone 2.
Also you need to know that in order for zone 2 to work you need to select it as such in the receivers menu somewhere under speaker settings. Also you might need to change the play zone setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguyen1217 View Post

Hi im new to this forum and receiver. I was ready to buy this thinking it would work for my set up but am now not so sure and hope someone can help. I was looking to have a 5.1 set up in main zone, and were going to hook my kitchen up to the front wide speakers to play the exact sound coming out from my main whenever I want it in there. Another thing I needed it to do was play a hdmi zone 2 output to my patio which might be watching a diff source. The problem here is I have stereo speakers on my patio, is it possible to hook it up to the zone 2 speaker and play the audio from there for the patio? Hope someone can help before I buy this receiver. Thanks

Yes it is possible to run a second source Audio(2 ch) and Video to your patio.
You can not however run the front wides to the kitchen if you have Zone 2 enabled, the reason being is that when you put your receiver in Zone 2 mode you can only have a 5.1 in your main zone and the remaining 2 channels are used for Zone 2.
In order to do what you want to do you would either need a more expensive receiver, or more hardware so you could split the signal from the fronts and send them to both destinations Main and Kitchen. Then have Zone 2 play on the patio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings13 View Post

Posted this somewhere else incidentally over the weekeend, hoping someone can help....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First timer here, so be easy...also have never owned or setup my own receiver, so here we go.

Recently purchased a home and I'm trying to install speakers throughout the home that play independent sources of content. Shopped around, long story short, the Pioneer 1123k is where we landed.

The setup is where "ishhh gets real" for me bc I have no clue what I'm doing but I know what I want to do. Made a quick visual to explain it better ,my first question is CAN I DO THIS? 2nd question, is HOW?

http://i.imgur.com/5vfiuLV.jpg

K13

You can not have separate sources on the Green/Blue zone. The 1123 K is only a 2 zone receiver, you would need to purchase a Receiver with 3 Zones in order to to that

post #93 of 609 Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply, i figured that out and upgraded to the Yamaha rx-a2020, it was open box at bb, lets see how it goes...
post #94 of 609 Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplante

I have the Optical-1 (Squeezebox Touch) assigned to the 'CD' input. It please very nicely on the 'Main' zone but refuses to play on Zone 2. I tried with both the remote control and iControlAV 2013. Zone 2 has no problem playing Pandora or my Media Server. I tried with the Main zone playing the CD at the same time. With Main off. Or with Main playing a different input.

Is there a reason why the CD input (optical? shouldn't work in Zone 2?

Thanks!
Quote:
Only certain inputs work in Zone 2, you will have to take a closer look at the manual and which inputs get passed to Zone 2.
Also you need to know that in order for zone 2 to work you need to select it as such in the receivers menu somewhere under speaker settings. Also you might need to change the play zone setting.

I verified with Pioneer that only analog sources could be played on Zone 2. In other words, this tuner, like most tuners, only has one DAC for the sound. The marketing material is very misleading in this regards. Being a semiconductor marketing professional myself, I'm ashamed I've been fooled by the promotional material. Even the manual is poorly worded. The information pertaining to this issue is contained on p.30. It says:

Zone 2: Outputs analog audio and composite video.

This is not technically correct and I misread this statement initially. Of course, the output is 'analog' (it's going to speakers). What it should have more accurately stated is:

Zone 2: Can only play signal coming from analog inputs.

The manual also states:

It is not possible to down-convert the audio...from the digital input terminals...

More precisely, we're simply talking about 'converting' from digital to analog here, not 'down-converting'. Something got lost in translation from Japanese to English here.

I hope my experience will be beneficial to other users. In the meantime, I simply connected my Squeezebox to the analog port of the CD input (aka Input 1). Not what I preferably wanted to do. But it works. smile.gif
post #95 of 609 Old 07-10-2013, 11:06 PM

You should be able to get digital sources to play in Zone 2. The manual is not correct.
For instance when I tested Zone 2 I was able to get pushplayer from my phone to work.
You can point the digital sources to Zone 2, what you need to do is change the play zone to zone 2 in the receivers menu.

Check this thread out: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472115/pioneer-vsx-1123-k-zone-2-output#post_23428908

Edit:

Also to add to this if you change the Play Zone to Zone2 your receiver will play all you digital sources on Zone2 only.
So yes it only has one DAC however you can direct to which zone this digital to analog converter can work for.

post #96 of 609 Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post

Anyone using the HDZONE output to a separate TV? I'm going through the manual and it says HDMI-CEC has to be disabled to take advantage of the HDZONE? Can anyone verify if this is true? I'd like to be able to share sources to a second TV that has its own soundbar, while maintaining HDMI-CEC use on the main zone.

Bought it and answered my own question. I can still have CEC enabled for the main zone and use the HDZONE output with independent sources. Pretty sweet for a $600 receiver.
post #97 of 609 Old 07-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Exist_To_Resist thanks for the reply. What would I need as you said additional hardware if I say wanted to play 5.1 in main zone but split one of those signals to play exactly the same thing in the kitchen when I want to play music or something? Also, my zone 2 audio would be taken since its hooked up to the patio along with my HDZone so that I can have stereo speaker audio if I wanted for the patio instead of tv speakers. Not sure if you understand what I am trying to do but hope you can help.
post #98 of 609 Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 PM

I was hoping the VSX1123-k could do what I am hoping it can, but I am starting to look at other receivers and I am thinking what I am looking for is the Pioneer Elite SC-75. Would that be the case, since I want to be able to play the same airplay in zones main, patio and kitchen. But also need a HDMI 2 for patio with a set of speakers to watch and listen to a different source if I wanted.
post #99 of 609 Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnguyen1217 View Post

Exist_To_Resist thanks for the reply. What would I need as you said additional hardware if I say wanted to play 5.1 in main zone but split one of those signals to play exactly the same thing in the kitchen when I want to play music or something? Also, my zone 2 audio would be taken since its hooked up to the patio along with my HDZone so that I can have stereo speaker audio if I wanted for the patio instead of tv speakers. Not sure if you understand what I am trying to do but hope you can help.

Essentially what you're going to need is a speaker switchbox, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108231-2-Channel-Speaker-Selector/dp/B007N43T5Y .

Now, I assume the speakers that are being driven in Zone 2 are small in wall speakers not exceeding 50W. If that is the case you can get away with a switchbox such as the one mentioned above.
You can get one without volume controls and get wall mounted volume controls if you'd like in each room so you can independently adjust the volumes, like this: (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_17?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=wall%20plate%20volume%20control&sprefix=wall+plate+volume%2Celectronics%2C472&rh=i%3Aelectronics%2Ck%3Awall%20plate%20volume%20control)

However if you are driving larger speakers, you will need to get a secondary amplifier to drive the larger speakers. It all depends on the power requirement.

Also with the 1123-k you can not have airplay work in both zones, it'e either or.
If that is the case you will need a better Amp, and if you're looking at other amps might as well be looking at something that can drive 3 zones independently.

The above is a quick and dirty way of setting it up, you might be able to find better quality parts.

post #100 of 609 Old 07-12-2013, 12:14 PM

I gave bad info, apparently if you look on PG 30 of the manual is states the following.
Quote:
Different sources can be playing in two zones at the same time or, depending on your needs, the same source can also be used.

I don't know if this applies to the Airplay feature.

post #101 of 609 Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 PM

Liked: 11
I found a hard to find bug with this receiver regarding disabling video conversion and RBG content (16-235) (YCbCr is not affected)

My setup: Pioneer 1123-K with a PN51D6900 plasma TV (Also tested with two other cheap brand LCDs)

First thing I did when I got my receiver, I disabled video conversion since I'm a gamer and wanted to remove as much input lag as possible, then I calibrated my TV using chromapure.

For a while everything seemed fine, movies/tv/etc all looked perfect.

Then I started playing some game on my PS3 and Xbox 360, and couldn't help but notice everything seemed darker than supposed, as in crushed black/missing detail.

Then I remembered, most movies play in YCbCr, and pretty much all games use RGB. Fun thing about the PS3 dvd/blu ray reader "software" is that you can choose the output format between those two.

So here are my results:

This is the PS3 outputting in RGB (Limited) with video conversion enabled on the receiver:
(Same results with both RGB and YCbCr)

This is the PS3 outputting RGB (again, limited) with video conversion off. BUT if I set it to YCbCr it look just as in picture 1, no problem.

This is the PS3 plugged directly in the TV, I get the same correct results with both RGB and YCbCr output

So it seem the problem only manifest itself with RGB content (limited, or 16-235 in other terms) when video conversion is set to off.

Tested and confirmed (same results) with my PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U, on 3 different TVs.

I'll try to contact Pioneer about it, I hope I won't have too much trouble as my spoken english somewhat broken :/

Edit: About picture #2, even if I set the brightness to it's maximum, I'm not getting all bars on RGB. Not even the 17--18.
post #102 of 609 Old 07-14-2013, 06:48 PM

Interesting, so in passthrough it processes the signal.
FrancoisC likes this.

post #103 of 609 Old 07-15-2013, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoisC View Post

I found a hard to find bug with this receiver regarding disabling video conversion and RBG content (16-235) (YCbCr is not affected)

My setup: Pioneer 1123-K with a PN51D6900 plasma TV (Also tested with two other cheap brand LCDs)

First thing I did when I got my receiver, I disabled video conversion since I'm a gamer and wanted to remove as much input lag as possible, then I calibrated my TV using chromapure.

For a while everything seemed fine, movies/tv/etc all looked perfect.

Then I started playing some game on my PS3 and Xbox 360, and couldn't help but notice everything seemed darker than supposed, as in crushed black/missing detail.

Then I remembered, most movies play in YCbCr, and pretty much all games use RGB. Fun thing about the PS3 dvd/blu ray reader "software" is that you can choose the output format between those two.

So here are my results:

This is the PS3 outputting in RGB (Limited) with video conversion enabled on the receiver:
(Same results with both RGB and YCbCr)

This is the PS3 outputting RGB (again, limited) with video conversion off. BUT if I set it to YCbCr it look just as in picture 1, no problem.

This is the PS3 plugged directly in the TV, I get the same correct results with both RGB and YCbCr output

So it seem the problem only manifest itself with RGB content (limited, or 16-235 in other terms) when video conversion is set to off.

Tested and confirmed (same results) with my PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U, on 3 different TVs.

I'll try to contact Pioneer about it, I hope I won't have too much trouble as my spoken english somewhat broken :/

Edit: About picture #2, even if I set the brightness to it's maximum, I'm not getting all bars on RGB. Not even the 17--18.

Thanks for your findings and alerting pioneer.

So if im understanding you and so were clear you have your 360 and ps3 set to output 16-235 rgb levels and its expanding the rgb signal to 0-255?

Also curious you mentioned you turn videoconversion off, i did research and currently own a denon but in my research into denon video conversion I seen someone stated on here pioneer has lag free video conversion and was upset denon did not accomplish this, did you do any leg tests with video conversion enabled vs disabled?
post #104 of 609 Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Also wondering if anyone can confirm, can the second hdmi output be used as an hdmi splitter at all? To output exactly whats being output on the first hdmi output?

To accomplish this would one just select the hdzone and set it to the same input as the other zone?
post #105 of 609 Old 07-15-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Thanks for your findings and alerting pioneer.

So if im understanding you and so were clear you have your 360 and ps3 set to output 16-235 rgb levels and its expanding the rgb signal to 0-255?

Also curious you mentioned you turn videoconversion off, i did research and currently own a denon but in my research into denon video conversion I seen someone stated on here pioneer has lag free video conversion and was upset denon did not accomplish this, did you do any leg tests with video conversion enabled vs disabled?

Yes, everything is set for 16-235 output.

Also the lag is very very small, but for example when I play with my Wii U, the music/sound coming from the receiver and the wii u controller is not completely in sync with video conversion on, causing an echo effect. Disabling video conversion fixes that.
post #106 of 609 Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, everything is set for 16-235 output.

Also the lag is very very small, but for example when I play with my Wii U, the music/sound coming from the receiver and the wii u controller is not completely in sync with video conversion on, causing an echo effect. Disabling video conversion fixes that.

Interesting thanks for letting me know, guess its best to just keep it off for gaming inputs, good to see a gamer on here testing it, sometimes you guys are hard to find with products when it comes to lag.

You can set video conversion per input though can you?

Not that it helps, but I would also like to ensure its not one universal setting. On my denon i have it off for ps3/360 inputs. The rest I keep it on. I dont know if its also the same with pioneer, but I get no volume overlay without conversion on, is that the same with pioneer? You need conversion on for volume overlay on your tv?

Please keep us upadted after you contact pioneer, this is something I would hope is fixed with firmware.
post #107 of 609 Old 07-15-2013, 02:51 PM

Yes you can set it per input smile.gif

I sent them an email yesterday night, explained as well as I could and also provided a link to my post here.

If other people can reproduce the same thing and write or call them I'm sure it would help a little!
post #108 of 609 Old 07-15-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes you can set it per input smile.gif

I sent them an email yesterday night, explained as well as I could and also provided a link to my post here.

If other people can reproduce the same thing and write or call them I'm sure it would help a little!

Yea it definitely would! I wonder if this effects other vsx 2013 models which will be even bigger sellers due to the lower price.
post #109 of 609 Old 07-16-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Also wondering if anyone can confirm, can the second hdmi output be used as an hdmi splitter at all? To output exactly whats being output on the first hdmi output?

To accomplish this would one just select the hdzone and set it to the same input as the other zone?

No, what you need to do is in the menu 4f5a on the receiver set Output Setting: to MAIN.
Select OK. Exit the receivers menu.

Now on your remote, second row from the bottom, second button from the left click HDMI OUT, you have an option of, 1, 2, 1+2, and OFF.
1 outputs HDMI signal to Main HDMI zone.
2 outputs HDMI signal to HDZONE HDMI.
1+2 outputs to both.

Page 68 of the manual.

post #110 of 609 Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM

I admit I did have problems with iControl2013 app on my Galaxy S3. It would not connect and lock up the GS3 so that I had to reboot it. I found it was that my network setup. The Galaxy S3 was on my in house wifi and the VSX-1123K was hard wired into the network. The problem was that the GS3 was on the main network but I had the VSX1123, TV, BD all on a router behind a router, simply to get more ports. I.E. Wifi for my phone was 192.168.1.xxx and the devices on the router were 192.168.2.xxx.
I finally replaced the router with a switch instead. After doing that when I launched the iControl2013 app it automatically connected with no input required by me.
Now I find the app is easier to use than the actual VSX1123 remote. In fact on the app is a button called Emphasis where you can raise the Bass or Dialog that I haven't duplicated with the remote and iy\t's not the same as the Dialog Enhancement. On the app Dialog Enhancement where it raises the dialog and the app button for Dialog Emphasis are 2 different buttons.
post #111 of 609 Old 07-17-2013, 12:33 PM

My 1123 is currently set as Z2&HDZONE with Multi set to On. That way I get the same view on my Main TV and 2nd TV connected to HDMI2. I can change the output to the 2nd TV to one of the options allowed er the documentation but 99% of t he time I have it set to show the same as the Main.
The only drawback I have found is with a BD that has TrueHD or DTS Master. With only the Main TV on I get TrueHD or DTS Master however if I turn the 2nd TV on, audio output it drops back to DD. I assume this is normal. If I turn off the 2nd TV the BD audio output goes back to TrueHD or DTS Matser.
post #112 of 609 Old 07-17-2013, 06:47 PM

I am actually running STB HMDI to AV then HDMI to both the Main and to Zone2 and get 16x9 1080i on both TVs. Well really 1080p/24 on the Main since the AV upconverts.
post #113 of 609 Old 07-18-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thr2 View Post

My 1123 is currently set as Z2&HDZONE with Multi set to On. That way I get the same view on my Main TV and 2nd TV connected to HDMI2. I can change the output to the 2nd TV to one of the options allowed er the documentation but 99% of t he time I have it set to show the same as the Main.
The only drawback I have found is with a BD that has TrueHD or DTS Master. With only the Main TV on I get TrueHD or DTS Master however if I turn the 2nd TV on, audio output it drops back to DD. I assume this is normal. If I turn off the 2nd TV the BD audio output goes back to TrueHD or DTS Matser.

So if i have it set to output to 1+2 display, the main zone will not get dts master or truehd? I did not see that in the manual, as I am looking at this avr but want to make sure everything works as I expect.

Also you say you have to set it 99% of the time to the same as main, I dont know if this should be the case either, did you select hdzone in the icontrol app and then select a different input?

A few points you made do concern me if it is the case.
post #114 of 609 Old 07-18-2013, 03:19 PM

I have a Vizio tv and an Optoma projector. My inputs are a satellite box and a ps3, both connected by hdmi. Can I use the Pioneer 1123 to switch between tv or projector?
Thanks

Johnf
post #115 of 609 Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 PM

Hey guys, I'm sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find it in search. I just got the 1123-k and I'm loving it so far. One question I have is, is it possible to have the video from one input on screen while listening to the audio from another input? I've currently got my WiiU, PS3, Xbox, and cable box hooked up via HDMI into the receiver and an HDMI cable out to the tv. Ideally I would like to listen to airplay or pandora or my computer via optical audio while playing some games. Can this be done? Thanks!
post #116 of 609 Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmford View Post

I have a Vizio tv and an Optoma projector. My inputs are a satellite box and a ps3, both connected by hdmi. Can I use the Pioneer 1123 to switch between tv or projector?
Thanks

Johnf

Yes I believe that is easily accomplished from what I have read regarding the avr, it has two hdmi outs.
post #117 of 609 Old 07-23-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUse4AName68 View Post

Hey guys, I'm sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find it in search. I just got the 1123-k and I'm loving it so far. One question I have is, is it possible to have the video from one input on screen while listening to the audio from another input? I've currently got my WiiU, PS3, Xbox, and cable box hooked up via HDMI into the receiver and an HDMI cable out to the tv. Ideally I would like to listen to airplay or pandora or my computer via optical audio while playing some games. Can this be done? Thanks!

Yes, I did it by running both the MAIN and HDZONE hdmi outputs to the TV.
You will need to run 2 HDMI cables from the receiver to the TV.
So effectively input 1 on TV is output from MAIN on the VSX-1123-K and input 2 on TV is output HDZONE from the VSX-1123-K.
If I want to listen to music while playing games I switch HDZONE to on, on the VSX-1123-K and switch the input on the TV to 2.
This will run the video from my Xbox to the TV via HDZONE (HDMI 2) output from the receiver.
Then I turn on the MAIN zone on the VSX-1123-K to Pandora or whatever I desire, and this allows me to play music via my speakers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmford View Post

Thanks

Johnf

Yes you can. You need to set your HDMI output to 1+2 which will display the same video on both devices. I assume this is what you want.
Check my post above #109.

post #118 of 609 Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 AM

Not "exactly" true. I do have mine set as output 1+2 and a BD will output truehd or dts master. Once the blu disk starts, both the VSX-1123-k AV and icontrol2013 andriod app will display true hd or dts master and the sound is great as expected.

I just finished testing playing a BD with true hd in the Main Zone and had the Zone 2 TV set for Sat/Cable.
The Main Zone BD oytput true hd while the Zone TV received a 1080 signal via Sat/Cable.
I then pressed the HDZONE remote button and set the HDZONE to BD. At that point the Zone 2 TV played the same video of the BD as the Main Zone TV however the audio output on the AV dropped to 2 channel stereo.
I reset the HDZONE back to Sat/Cable. The Zone 2 TV video changed back to the Sat/Cable 1080 output and then Main Zone audio went back to true HD.

It seems that you cannot output true hd or dts matser to 2 zones. It is also possible it is some limitation of the Zone 2 TV, which an inexpensive 19" HDMI TV strictly used as a mirror in the kitchen of what is played on the Main. The 99% statement is that rarely is the Zone 2 TV used for anything other than to mirror the Main for Sat/Cable output.

I suspect it is a limitation of the BD output through the AV since you are basically splitting the audio and video. The video does not seem to suffer though only the drop in audio output.
post #119 of 609 Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 AM

Also an answer from Pioneer in response to a question I asked via email regarding the Emphasis setting on my icontrol2013 android app.
I asked what buttons on the AV remote are equal to using the Emphasis button on the Andriod app, since the icontrol2013 app has the option to use both the Dialog Enhancement to raise dialog Up and the Emphasis app button actually increases the Dialog or Bass output.
Surprisingly the response was that Emphasis is NOT duplicated on the AV remote. It only available via the app.
post #120 of 609 Old 07-25-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Been looking at the Pioneer 1123 or the 1222. Are there any striking differences between the two?

Is not having THX Select 2 cert. an absolute no-no?

Thanks.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , pioneer vsx-1123-k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page