Official Pioneer VSX-1123-K Owners thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 778 Old 10-26-2013, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just listed a VSX-1123 in the classified section I used while my Elite VSX-53 was being repaired if anyone is interested.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 778 Old 10-26-2013, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoisC View Post

I found a hard to find bug with this receiver regarding disabling video conversion and RBG content (16-235) (YCbCr is not affected)

My setup: Pioneer 1123-K with a PN51D6900 plasma TV (Also tested with two other cheap brand LCDs)

First thing I did when I got my receiver, I disabled video conversion since I'm a gamer and wanted to remove as much input lag as possible, then I calibrated my TV using chromapure.

For a while everything seemed fine, movies/tv/etc all looked perfect.

Then I started playing some game on my PS3 and Xbox 360, and couldn't help but notice everything seemed darker than supposed, as in crushed black/missing detail.

Then I remembered, most movies play in YCbCr, and pretty much all games use RGB. Fun thing about the PS3 dvd/blu ray reader "software" is that you can choose the output format between those two.

So here are my results:

This is the PS3 outputting in RGB (Limited) with video conversion enabled on the receiver:
(Same results with both RGB and YCbCr)

This is the PS3 outputting RGB (again, limited) with video conversion off. BUT if I set it to YCbCr it look just as in picture 1, no problem.

This is the PS3 plugged directly in the TV, I get the same correct results with both RGB and YCbCr output

So it seem the problem only manifest itself with RGB content (limited, or 16-235 in other terms) when video conversion is set to off.

Tested and confirmed (same results) with my PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U, on 3 different TVs.

I'll try to contact Pioneer about it, I hope I won't have too much trouble as my spoken english somewhat broken :/

Edit: About picture #2, even if I set the brightness to it's maximum, I'm not getting all bars on RGB. Not even the 17--18.

New firmware (Version #1-147-020-016-106) is out and this issue is still not fixed.

I wonder, is the whole 2013 serie affected by this, or are the lower end models or elite free of it, anyone?
post #183 of 778 Old 10-28-2013, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaylor View Post

Does anyone have any problems with the receiver switching sources automatically? Mine is switching to the TV source. I turn it on, it's on BD, but then about 10 seconds later switches to TV. I then need to push BD again on the remote.

I turned HDMI control off to be safe. Still the same thing.

Any ideas?

Turn of HDMI(CEC) control to off, on your TV, your receiver, and BD player/PS3. LG=SimpLink , Samsung=Anynet+...

post #184 of 778 Old 10-30-2013, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have been looking at purchasing the VSX-1123-K.  I was looking at BestBuy/Future shop and found two similar units.  Does anyone know if the VSX-1127-K and VSX-1128-K are the same unit as the VSX-1123-K, just rebranded for BestBuy and Future Shop?

Thanks@

post #185 of 778 Old 10-30-2013, 01:24 PM

My setup:
2 U-verse boxes, Blu-ray player, roku 3
Above feeding into Monoprice 4x4 HDMI matrix swtich
Matrix outputs = VSX-1123-k, 3 TVs
VSX-1123-K feeds to Mitsubishi HC8300 projector

Here is my problem. The VSX-1123-k drops audio randomly when the uverse boxes are set to "surround sound", but the channel is broadcasting in stereo. Audio drop is something like a loss of audio for .1 seconds.

No problem when box is set to "stereo" and channel is in stereo.
No problem with box is set to "surround" and channel is DD
The display on the reciever does not flicker or anything when the audio drops, so I dont believe the uverse box is dropping the audio
Happens randomly, sometimes once a min, sometimes 5 times in 5 seconds.

What I have tried:
Software update on receiver
U-verse box direct to receiver (so the switch is not causing it)
Have a call into Pioneer call center but am not expecting much from them.

Am I doing something stupid?
post #186 of 778 Old 10-31-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetoupgrade View Post

I have been looking at purchasing the VSX-1123-K.  I was looking at BestBuy/Future shop and found two similar units.  Does anyone know if the VSX-1127-K and VSX-1128-K are the same unit as the VSX-1123-K, just rebranded for BestBuy and Future Shop?

Thanks@

Yes I know the 1127-k is a FS and BB branded 1122-k from last year, and looking at the 1128-k it seems to have the same specs as the 1123-k.
So yes, and that's a really good price BTW.

post #187 of 778 Old 10-31-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinga View Post

My setup:
2 U-verse boxes, Blu-ray player, roku 3
Above feeding into Monoprice 4x4 HDMI matrix swtich
Matrix outputs = VSX-1123-k, 3 TVs
VSX-1123-K feeds to Mitsubishi HC8300 projector

Here is my problem. The VSX-1123-k drops audio randomly when the uverse boxes are set to "surround sound", but the channel is broadcasting in stereo. Audio drop is something like a loss of audio for .1 seconds.

No problem when box is set to "stereo" and channel is in stereo.
No problem with box is set to "surround" and channel is DD
The display on the reciever does not flicker or anything when the audio drops, so I dont believe the uverse box is dropping the audio
Happens randomly, sometimes once a min, sometimes 5 times in 5 seconds.

What I have tried:
Software update on receiver
U-verse box direct to receiver (so the switch is not causing it)
Have a call into Pioneer call center but am not expecting much from them.

Am I doing something stupid?

I can't comment on your Uverse box issue as I don't own one, or any subscription based TV, but somsone in post #179 mentions issues with Uverse and the vsx-1123-k.
One thing I'de like to mention is that it is important to turn on the devices in the right order so proper EDID hand shaking occurs. Generally the source should be the last device turned on.

post #188 of 778 Old 11-04-2013, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post

I just listed a VSX-1123 in the classified section I used while my Elite VSX-53 was being repaired if anyone is interested.

could you comment on any specifics you did or didnt like about the 1123? especially in regards to sacd playback. is dsd converted to pcm? and general sound quality. im in a toss up between this and harman k 2700. thanks!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #189 of 778 Old 11-04-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

could you comment on any specifics you did or didnt like about the 1123? especially in regards to sacd playback. is dsd converted to pcm? and general sound quality. im in a toss up between this and harman k 2700. thanks!

This will not answer your question, but here is my $0.02 about the Harman Kardon receivers.
I moved from a Harman/Kardon AVR 2650 to the 1123-K, the 2650 was last years version of the 2700.
I had two H/K's that went up in smoke, to be exact it was the HDMI board that blew on both.
If you do a little reading online you will find that all Harman/Kardon receivers are low quality and no one recommends these to people anymore.
Stay away from the H/K they have a very poor and low quality build to them.
Since 2008/2009 they are no longer designed in the US, they are designed and built in China.
Pioneers are designed in Japan, not sure where they're built but their quality is higher than the H/K's.
I'm not saying the Pioneers are perfect, but definitively a lot better than the Harman/Kardon receivers.
Also personally I like the sound a lot better on the Pioneer.

post #190 of 778 Old 11-04-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks exist... appreciate the info. im having a terrible time deciding on ANY avr for that very reason. every brand seems to have hdmi board issues of some sort, built in china, low quality mass produced, etc, at least ones in my price range. just seems like HK and pioneer have the least issues... from what info i can find anyway. sad really, things used to be built to last. but i understand...no profit in that!!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #191 of 778 Old 11-04-2013, 12:43 PM

Yes sometimes you get a melon, but I got two melons in a row from H/K. If you go to the AVR 1650 or the 1700 thread you'll notice the H/K has a lot of issues with the HDMI board.
The 1123k on the other hand not so much, I got mine in February this year and I couldn't be happier. The connectivity is there for the digital medial, and it plays plethora of formats.
The iControl 2013 App is one of the reasons I bought this receiver, it allows you to stream music from your phone to the receiver, be it Android or iOS.
Also the setup of the receiver can be as basic as you want it to be or it can be very in depth. MCACC really shines in this spectrum, there is even a whole thread dedicated to it.
If you want some more not too indepth but a good read on it head here, it might give you a quick run down of what you may need to know.
Initially I had some CEC issues with this receiver but a June FW update addressed the issue.

post #192 of 778 Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

ok cool. thank you for the info. decisions decisions!

post #193 of 778 Old 11-06-2013, 09:19 PM

Well screw that. After 3 updates, multiple emails (which I got an answer only on the first one) and still no fix I sold mine and got a nice model from last year, the SC-1527-K, the FutureShop version of the SC-65 I believe. No problem at all with video conversion on or off, it does not mess with the color space.
post #194 of 778 Old 11-07-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetoupgrade View Post

Thanks@
I gave them a call (support) about a week ago and I think we spoke 15 minutes regading receivers. My question was similar, VSX-1023-K vs 1028-K. It was a nice chat, you may want to call and see if you get the same guy.

Unfortunatly, he was not able to give me the hardware differences like I wanted, except that the FS/BB units carry a 2 years warranty instead of 1.
post #195 of 778 Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM

I used to work at bestbuy, those kind of things were made to prevent price match. The 1127-k is the same thing as last year's 1122-k, and the 1128-k is the exact same thing as the 1123-K.
post #196 of 778 Old 11-09-2013, 10:05 AM

Hi, just set this up. But how do I get the sound to come out of my Samsung Plasma TV Speakers please.

I have connected an Analog cable from my Audio out on my TV to the Audio Analog In 1 (CD) Assignable on the back of the receiver.

I have looked on Google etc manual page 23 but can not figure it out !!

Any help greatly appreciated,

Beck's

post #197 of 778 Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 AM

Liked: 11
Last night I was watching a movie (using Extended Stereo) and I noticed that the receiver displays that only 2 channels are working (L+R) When I put my ear near the speaker, ALL 5 speakers have sound except for the subwoofer (my sub is set up to turn on when it detects a signal, it was working fine last week).. I remember a while ago the receiver would display that all 5 channels are working. How can I get back the 5 channels?

*update* Looks like it's working again... I realized it depends on the input signal being fed to the receiver. I was watching a movie which using my WDTVLive and it didn't provide signal for all speakers... This morning I'm watchin HGTV in HD and all 5 speakers are light up on the receiver display, also I notice the LFE (subwoofer) is lighted up and animated, I still have so much to learn about this receiver.
post #198 of 778 Old 11-11-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiefl View Post

Last night I was watching a movie (using Extended Stereo) and I noticed that the receiver displays that only 2 channels are working (L+R) When I put my ear near the speaker, ALL 5 speakers have sound except for the subwoofer (my sub is set up to turn on when it detects a signal, it was working fine last week).. I remember a while ago the receiver would display that all 5 channels are working. How can I get back the 5 channels?

*update* Looks like it's working again... I realized it depends on the input signal being fed to the receiver. I was watching a movie which using my WDTVLive and it didn't provide signal for all speakers... This morning I'm watchin HGTV in HD and all 5 speakers are light up on the receiver display, also I notice the LFE (subwoofer) is lighted up and animated, I still have so much to learn about this receiver.

Yes, the way you have it set up is dependant weather or not there is an LFE signal. There is however a subwoofer setting in the menu which allows you to always have the Sub output the low frequencies.
Pg 85 of the Operating Instructions manual under the SW heading, Chose the PLUS setting if you want the subwoofer to output bass sound continuously or you want a deeper bass...
reggiefl likes this.

post #199 of 778 Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 AM

Is there a way to set the subwoofer crossover to 100 hz and set the speakers to small before running calibration? If u select thx certified speakers, then the crossover will be. 80 hz and speakers set to small. I can go change the crossover to 100hz after cal, but how would that affect the curve? Or should I run cal using non thx option which would set speakers to large, then manually change them to small after cal? TIA
post #200 of 778 Old 11-12-2013, 09:14 AM

Having discussed this in the MCACC thread, the consensus was that you can change the crossover afterwards and it will not affect your sound performance. I asked the exact question there and that was the answer I got. I can not remember the exact reason for this.
But one of the things is I think MCACC doesn't do much calibration for the Sub.

Having thought about this a little more I think your best bet for MCACC calibration is to set your speakers to Large and your xover to a higher FQ 120 should be good.
This way MCACC will calibrate your system for the full spectrum of frequency for both the speakers and sub.
The reason i picked 120 Hz is because that is the Cut off frequency for the LFE channel.

post #201 of 778 Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 AM

One other thing I want to make you aware of that anything above 80Hz becomes localized or directional. Basically with any sound above 80Hz the human ear/braing can tell which direction it is coming from.
This is why you see 80Hz as default.

post #202 of 778 Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post

Having discussed this in the MCACC thread, the consensus was that you can change the crossover afterwards and it will not affect your sound performance. I asked the exact question there and that was the answer I got. I can not remember the exact reason for this.
But one of the things is I think MCACC doesn't do much calibration for the Sub.

Having thought about this a little more I think your best bet for MCACC calibration is to set your speakers to Large and your xover to a higher FQ 120 should be good.
This way MCACC will calibrate your system for the full spectrum of frequency for both the speakers and sub.
The reason i picked 120 Hz is because that is the Cut off frequency for the LFE channel.
post #203 of 778 Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Advanced mcacc should cal down to 63 hz?
post #204 of 778 Old 11-12-2013, 12:52 PM

Yes that is the consensus in the MCACC thread.

post #205 of 778 Old 11-12-2013, 01:31 PM

I'll try it like u suggested and see how it sounds. Thx
post #206 of 778 Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 AM

Let us know how it goes.

post #207 of 778 Old 11-13-2013, 02:37 PM

hey guys i need your expertise, here is my setup

All my equipment are in a different room, with 1 HDMI-OUT going to my tv

Here is what i want to do

Watching Tv (With sound if possible) while playing music on my home theater speakers

Is it Possible?  Let me know your thoughts

post #208 of 778 Old 11-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Yes it is possible, you will need to run a secondary HDMI cable from the HDZONE (HDMI out 2) on the receiver to your TV. So you will have two HDMI cables running from your receiver to your TV, two inputs on your TV will be occupied.
Also you will need to make sure that the TV source is on one of the HDMI inputs that can be passed to the HDZONE, then you need to change the HDZONE settings accordingly.
Once you have the HDZONE setup correctly what you will do is turn on your HDZONE and select the input on the TV which coincides with the HDZONE, and on the receiver wile controlling HDZONE select the TV source.
This will feed the TV source to the television via HDMI and provide stereo audio.
Then switch the controls with the remote to the main zone, and select your audio source, this will play the audio on your main speakers.

For more details on getting the HDZONE to work check some of my earlier posts in this thread. Try page 4 wink.gif
Check Post #33 for which inputs can be output to the HDZONE.

post #209 of 778 Old 11-15-2013, 02:49 AM

Hi all

Just purchased my new VSX-1123-K and i have some issues that i hope arent too hard to resolve.

VSX-1123-K at random times ranging from 10 secons to about 20-35 mins, the reciever can just "turn off". I have done a firmware update and also turned off the "auto turn off after 30mins" incase it was affecting it. This doesnt happen all the time and as it ranges in time. Sometimes i think its fixed then click its all gone off again! Really annoying and frustrating! :-(

second

When watching a Bluray film the reciever always displays a "stereo" input no DTS or DD....... so only comes from front left/right speakers. I tried connecting to the DVD (instead of BD input) and then even connecting a coxial cable but the same issues... In the end i have had to change the output on the samsung BD 5500 player from PCM to "reencode to DTS" for all disks.. to force this to come out of all the speakers and trick the receiever into having the correct sound...

lastly (sorry). is there a way to get the reciever to output from all speakers for all sources? even if in stereo? like a multi Stereo? On an old Yamaha 673 i have a button to "encode" to a sort of surround sound (speach from centre) but also had a setting to just go everything from all speakers... for things like music..

thanks in advance and sorry for what i hope are simple issues :-)smile.gif

chris
post #210 of 778 Old 11-15-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
VSX-1123-K at random times ranging from 10 secons to about 20-35 mins, the reciever can just "turn off". I have done a firmware update and also turned off the "auto turn off after 30mins" incase it was affecting it. This doesnt happen all the time and as it ranges in time. Sometimes i think its fixed then click its all gone off again! Really annoying and frustrating! :-(

The receiver turning off sounds to me like it could be overheating and automatically turning itself off. Make sure it has enough breathing room and there is some clearance on the top and sides of the unit.
If it is in the open it is possible you are one of the lucky few to receive a lemon. It's unfortunate but it does happen, return it to the store and get another unit.
Quote:
When watching a Bluray film the reciever always displays a "stereo" input no DTS or DD....... so only comes from front left/right speakers. I tried connecting to the DVD (instead of BD input) and then even connecting a coxial cable but the same issues... In the end i have had to change the output on the samsung BD 5500 player from PCM to "reencode to DTS" for all disks.. to force this to come out of all the speakers and trick the receiever into having the correct sound...

PCM is uncompressed audio and can only be passed via HDMI. If using Coax or Optical cable PCM will only pass through 2.0 channels due to insufficient bandwidth on the media.
Does your BLu-Ray player support Multi Channel PCM?
Check this post out it goes into more detail about PCM.
Quote:
lastly (sorry). is there a way to get the reciever to output from all speakers for all sources? even if in stereo? like a multi Stereo? On an old Yamaha 673 i have a button to "encode" to a sort of surround sound (speach from centre) but also had a setting to just go everything from all speakers... for things like music..

Yes there is. Check page 12 of the manual, 5. Receiver Control Buttons. Off the top of my head not sure which setting it is, but play around with buttons 1,2, and 3.

VSX-1123-K_OperatingInstructions011813.pdf 3859k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VSX-1123-K_OperatingInstructions011813.pdf (3.77 MB, 20 views)

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K , pioneer vsx-1123-k
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page