AVS Forum banner

Official Pioneer VSX-1123-K Owners thread

180K views 1K replies 240 participants last post by  Glimmerman911 
#1 ·
Didn't see one, so I started one. I just bought this receiver and had it working fine. Now I have an issue.

It now fails to "see" my Motorola DCT-6412 STB. Before, it would display "DCT-64XX" on the TV screen and show the 1080p resolution (even though it's only 1080i from the STB). I've tested the STB on a different TV (using the exact same HDMI cable) and it works fine. The Xbox 360 plays fine through the receiver, too. Another oddity, once I try the Xbox 360 (connected through HDMI 7) then switch back to try the STB (connected via HDMI to SAT/CAB) the TV still displays "XBOX 360" as the source (even if it's turned off and disconnected).

MCACC won't display on the TV either. I have to used the display on the receiver.

Updating firmware now. We'll see if that helps. If not, I'll go to a FULL reset and start over.

Any other suggestions?

Oh, yeah. This all started after I started using my iPad to control it yesterday. That still works great in both Zones but nothing from the STB.

Richard

EDIT: There isn't a firmware update available.

EDIT #2 : Did a full system reset. No changes. Xbox plays fine through it. Tried the STB HDMI into a different port. No change.

See less See more
#2 ·
Richard,

I can't say I had the same issue as you although the VSX-1123 is still a work in progress on my end. My Uverse STB, once connected to the VSX-1123 Sat/Cbl HDMI came right up when I pressed the 1123 Remote button for Sat/Cbl. There are some 1123 Remote setting that can make a difference. Namely Receiver/Video Parameters. If Video Conversion is ON, make sure what RES is set for. For example I can't run at the 4K setting because I don't have a 4K monitor. Usually I either keep Video Conversion OFF (since I am already getting a 1080i signal) or if ON 1080p/24p, 1080p, 1080i, or PURE. I have an LCD/LED flat screen so 720 or 480 settings, in addition to Auto look bad.

Tommy

#3 ·
Tommy,

Thanks for the reply. I have video conversion "OFF". That's the only way it would work at all. I think I may have a combination of problems. The "HDMI OUT" from the 1123 is SLOPPY, SLOPPY, SLOPPY (did I mention it's sloppy?)! My HDMI out run to the TV is a 50' run so the cable is very large and stiff. I'd suspect that run as the issue but it's A: been in service without issue, B: the 1123 transmits the Xbox 360 over this HDMI run w/o issue. and C: the 1123 will not transmit the STB over a known good HDMI that's only 4' long to another TV that I brought in close to my Home Run closet to test.

HDMI OUT from the STB isn't much better than the one from the Pioneer 1123. I'm gonna try to connect the STB via Component and see if that helps.

I've really learned to HATE HDMI.

Richard

#4 ·
Richard,

It could be the receiver although I readily admit Pioneer tech support was not any help with a problem I had setting up Zones. Could not get audio out of 2 TVs at the same time with the receiver in Standby. Pioneer took all of probably 2 minutes to say the receiver was bad, take it back. Got a new one. Same issue.

Then by accident I found my audio issue was simply that the UVerse STB had to be set to stereo not digital out when the 1123 was in Standby. Needless to say I sent a scathing email telling them if they had taken 5 minutes to at least see what my setup was we might have resolved it instead of returning what was probably a perfectly good receiver. Now I just need to get all my network stuff completed which is another pain.

Your issue is one of basic connectivity and it sounds like from your testing that the 1123 CBL/SAT HDMI input or the HDMI Main output is bad. Do you have another TV to test the HDMI SAT/CBL and HDMI Main Zone Out ports? Or turn off Multi Zone if it's ON and make sure something with Main and Zone 2 is not causing the issue. I had a lot of trouble getting those set correctly for 2 TVs.

STB could have gone bad or some update was pushed out to the STB.

You might check with your provider for help in case they did some update and see if they have some info or test that they can do. If not I would call Pioneer and get their input at least. Hopefully you get someone who will listen to the setup and try and help. I had no trouble returning my 1123 to Best Buy and getting a new one.

Tommy

#5 ·
OK. Finally made some headway. Either through an update or from a mechanical failure, the HDMI OUT from my STB has failed (or works intermittently). I hooked it up via Component connections and all is well. All resolutions have to be turned down to 1080i on all components for some reason (otherwise the picture comes and goes). Just gotta do some programming on my Harmony One now...

Thanks for the replies!

#7 ·
I have not had that problem with Dolby True HD or DTS-MA.

With BluRay disks that are in either format all I have to do is - on the VSX-1123 Remote press Receiver then press the Auto/ALC/Direct button. Once Auto is selected my 1123 will change the display from whatever I had it on such as Dolby, Neo,Cinema etc to either DDTrueHD or Master DTS. Also the Standard button on the Remote should toggle through all the possible sound field settings.

Tommy

#9 ·
Has anyone figured out how to control the inputs that don't have direct buttons on the Pioneer remote with a Harmony? It's a little frustrating having to juggle remotes and cycling through inputs all the time after using just the Harmony for a few years now. There are direct input codes when I use the iControlAV2013 app on my phone so they exist in some form.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishicks  /t/1475468/official-pioneer-vsx-1123-k-owners-thread#post_23396984

Has anyone figured out how to control the inputs that don't have direct buttons on the Pioneer remote with a Harmony? It's a little frustrating having to juggle remotes and cycling through inputs all the time after using just the Harmony for a few years now. There are direct input codes when I use the iControlAV2013 app on my phone so they exist in some form.

Just so im understanding this, some hdmi inputs dont have individual buttons on the remote?

#13 ·
Correct. There's no direct input buttons for HDMI inputs 4, 6 and 7 on the remote. I found a not exactly perfect way of programming my Harmony One to work and do the input cycling but it would have been much easier to just have it directly jump to each input. An example of how it's done is I have my PS3 on HDMI 4. I have the Harmony set to go to HDMI 5/MHL and then have an extra command after that to move it back one input with the Pioneer remote code so it lands on the actual input I want in the first place. I just set this method up three times for the missing inputs that the remote doesn't have.

#14 ·
]Could you assign them to something? Or is there not even enough buttons for that?

Looking at remote online it looks to have enough buttons you could assign the hdmi inputs to, it mentions a total of 7 buttons can be assigned. So for instance could you assign hdmi inputs to "cd" and "tv" buttons, they appear to be pre configured and assigned as optical and analog.

If not that is concerning because I am also planning on using a universal remote with macros and that would be incredibly stupid not to have them. if not i would assume harmony should be able to add codes for them from pioneer.

#15 ·
I have the same questions. I found this thread after researching the problem. I'm trying to set up my new Harmony Ultimate (same basic setup as the Harmony One) for my Pioneer SC-1222-K (pretty similar to the VSX-1123, with apparently the same remote).

I hope to find help here. The avsforum for the SC-1222 runs 32 pages, but this issue isn't addressed.

I am learning that the buttons on the remote, as also shown in the owner's manual, don't correspond to the HDMI inputs in the rear of the receiver. The buttons play some mysterious role in using components for which they're labeled. They function much as the extra "receiver" button does, but I can find no guidance in how to use them.

I've had my receiver since the beginning of the year and still haven't figured it out. My wife has stopped trying to use the home theater on her own since I confused things by adding Tivo, 3D stuff, etc. So I hoped that the Harmony would simplify things. And I hope y'all can help...

#16 ·
I noticed that the recently updated iControlAV app for the iPad/iPhone provides the capability to select a specific HDMI input. Why the same/similar capability is apparently not provided by IR I dunno.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo  /t/1475468/official-pioneer-vsx-1123-k-owners-thread#post_23405230

]Could you assign them to something? Or is there not even enough buttons for that?

Looking at remote online it looks to have enough buttons you could assign the hdmi inputs to, it mentions a total of 7 buttons can be assigned. So for instance could you assign hdmi inputs to "cd" and "tv" buttons, they appear to be pre configured and assigned as optical and analog.

If not that is concerning because I am also planning on using a universal remote with macros and that would be incredibly stupid not to have them. if not i would assume harmony should be able to add codes for them from pioneer.

I don't think the buttons themselves can be assigned to specific inputs or at least I haven't seen any mention of that in the manual as of yet. It seems more that they can only be assigned to control the devices connected to the specific inputs going by this part of the manual.

#19 ·
Well I just purchased this since the price seems to have dropped. I am replacing a 1021 which is a couple years old. Problems with my 1021: Will not shut off properly after using airplay. I have it plugged into an outlet I can control with a switch luckily. Also, I have it behind a cabinet, so I cannot see the volume level on the screen. I also have my HMDI out to dual cat 5e cables, and sometimes I had signal problems, but can't complain too much since it did work, and a lot of receivers have problems with this. So hoping the 1123 also works over cat 5e!

Can someone confirm that you can see the 1123 volume on the screen? I believe this model can. Bonus points if you can include a photo of what it looks like!

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead  /t/1475468/official-pioneer-vsx-1123-k-owners-thread#post_23408874

Well I just purchased this since the price seems to have dropped. I am replacing a 1021 which is a couple years old. Problems with my 1021: Will not shut off properly after using airplay. I have it plugged into an outlet I can control with a switch luckily. Also, I have it behind a cabinet, so I cannot see the volume level on the screen. I also have my HMDI out to dual cat 5e cables, and sometimes I had signal problems, but can't complain too much since it did work, and a lot of receivers have problems with this. So hoping the 1123 also works over cat 5e!

Can someone confirm that you can see the 1123 volume on the screen? I believe this model can. Bonus points if you can include a photo of what it looks like!

Do you mean the monitor/TV screen? There a little text box that pops up when you change the volume, it indicates the signal source and volume level.

Reactions: portishead
#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourningstar625  /t/1475468/official-pioneer-vsx-1123-k-owners-thread#post_23408858

I have one of these receivers and I am having issues with the icontrol app. Basically the app finds the receiver on the network but it says it can't be controlled. I am attching screenshots of it on the device and in the avnavigator app from windows.

It seems like the receiver needs to be powered on to be controllable.

I didn't have to enter an IP address, the fields are blank on that last screen in my app.

Do you have the latest receiver firmware and app. I believe Pioneer upgraded the iPhone app recently.

BTW, the app is cool but not perfect, plagued with crashes.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase  /t/1475468/official-pioneer-vsx-1123-k-owners-thread#post_23408894

Do you mean the monitor/TV screen? There a little text box that pops up when you change the volume, it indicates the signal source and volume level.

Awesome, that's just what I need. Thanks!

I also forgot to mention I have a problem changing channels on my Tivo box and audio cutting out sometimes. Not sure if it's related to the Tivo (I would think so) or some kind of HDMI handshake problem of the receiver. But hopefully that will be another thing the 1123 will solve!

#23 ·
This is on sale at amazon for $399.99, is it worth it? I've read that pioneer doesn't warranty receivers sold from amazon, is this true? According to the pioneer website, amazon is a authorized retailer. I'm assuming that they are talking about receivers sold on the amazon marketplace? I have an older pioneer receiver that i bought back in 2005 that I'm looking to replace. What's the verdict on this one?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thygodfather  /t/1475468/official-pioneer-vsx-1123-k-owners-thread#post_23409395

This is on sale at amazon for $399.99, is it worth it? I've read that pioneer doesn't warranty receivers sold from amazon, is this true? According to the pioneer website, amazon is a authorized retailer. I'm assuming that they are talking about receivers sold on the amazon marketplace? I have an older pioneer receiver that i bought back in 2005 that I'm looking to replace. What's the verdict on this one?

That sounds ridiculous. Amazon is an authorized dealer. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

#25 ·
There have been a number of vendors unloading... err... selling the 1123k at that price with free shipping, NewEgg for one. I picked one up at NewEgg about three weeks ago. It had ancient firmware in it, the pioneer firmware update process was painless, however.

#26 ·
I have tried updating the firmware but it crashes everyway I try and do it. It says there is an update but it can't download it from the AVnavigator(windows app) it just insta-fails as soon as I try and update. On the receiver itself it tries to update but never gets past 0% and fails with update error 7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.