Brand new pioneer VSX-1123-K problems, been going at this for 1.5 days any help is appreciated! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To give you some background, I am a sys admin who knows his way around computers etc. I usually don't trip up this hard but I have no idea what I can do anymore.

I got in the new receiver from a newegg sale and was overjoyed. Replaced my home theater in a box and I thought life would be great. I hooked up my cable DVR box (Cox Cisco whole home DVR) and I got no sound through HDMI but the video works great. I tried messing with settings on the receiver and cable box nothing. So I try to call cox and of course they blame the receiver and I say okay thanks for the bad information and hang up. So I temporarily gave up on the DVR and try plugging the the PS3, it was set up previously using an HDMI into the back of the TV and RCA for audio, so I changed the audio to HDMI and it works great with nice sound. So after I get that done I call cox back and have a more in-depth conversation since I know the receiver is not the problem. We spent about 45 minutes trying out different things including a reset of the DVR, but nothing worked still get video and no audio. They set me up an appointment for a tech to come out and swap out the DVR box. Long story short he came tried unsuccessfully to fix it the way I had set up with just HDMI, got it to work with component cables but I didn't really want all that cable mess behind my TV. Swapped in the new box and same issue no sound on the receiver, tried out another TV with built in speakers and the sound and video worked right away. BEYOND FRUSTRATED

So with this not working I figure ill try out some of the network capabilities. Plug it in gets a DHCP address and supposedly works. Go for the firmware update hoping to fix my problem, tries but just errors out. I figure it could be the network so I bring my laptop over and plug it in and get a dhcp address and works fine. I try going to the website to download the new firmware but its not listed on the site, all I get is the mac version of the control software. Okay ill try the software that came with the receiver, install it detects on the network says that it has an IP address so I try the firmware update in there and it insta fails as soon as it tries to go out to the internet.

Needless to say I am beyond frustrated with this unit and I haven't even tried most of the features it has. If anyone could help me I will be watching this thread for replies very closely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 05:04 PM

Liked: 15
Is your tv set to play through external speakers?
post #3 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

its a pioneer kuro it has no speakers just a monitor.
post #4 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
If your setup worked with component cables then what did he use for audio because component is video only?
Your set top box may require an optical or coax for sound to the AVR .
It would probably help if you listed the cable box brand and model.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Its a cisco 8742HDC and the cox representative said they work with audi and video over HDMI but its jut not working in this case.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Did you select audio > digital> HDMI in the setup on the cable box?
post #7 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mourningstar625 View Post

Its a cisco 8742HDC and the cox representative said they work with audi and video over HDMI but its jut not working in this case.

Firstly, make sure ALL HDMI components have their latest firmware installed. For the Cisco, this does not mean just a box exchange, but rather a verification of the box's Firmware version # which usually must be validated by a cable engineer not a typical clerk or phone support person.

All HDMI/HDCP certified products are listed on the Intel www.digital-cp.com site..
Unfortunately we failed to find the mentioned Cisco 8742HDC cable box...
This means that Cisco failed to submit their product for compliance testing for HDMI/HDCP certification which includes component interoperability testing.
This is not uncommon as many of the other brand set-top boxes are not certified as well, since the majority are plugged directly into an HD display rather than AVR.
Therefore you need a work around:
1. Connect the Cisco box > the AVR via Component Video and S/PDIF (audio)
2. Connect the Cisco box > to the HD display via DVI or Component Video and connect the S/PDIF (audio) > the AVR

I hope that helps..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #8 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Agree with using SPDIF: there's no advantage using HDMI for audio apart form one cable. Or even use stereo RCA if available while troubleshooting.

Look at the front display or GUI of the receiver for the info, this should give a big clue whether the DVR is sending audio at all or there is audio but the receiver is not handling it, i.e. what device is at fault. It really narrows it

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #9 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

@oztech it mentions nothing about HDMI in audio just dolby digital which is it on.

@M Code: Cox confirmed the latest firmware on the cable box, also we tested it on a TV wth speakers and it worked. I don't want to do component cables I feel it is a waste of my time since HDMI supports everything I need and its 20x the amount of cable behind my wall. I have been trying for several days to update the firmware on the receiver but I can not get it connected to the internet. I have tried the same source on a laptop and it works fine. Also in the receiver it says it has an IP address and all the other information is correct for my network. Also I tried updating firmware from the software they provide with the same result, it doesn't think its connected to the internet.

Edit: I can also get to the receiver's homepage on my network.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

@Kilian.ca I don't know where the fault is. It could be the receiver or the cable box, I am trying to narrow it down. I thought it was the cable box but I dont know. As of right now its just being fed via one HDMI cable from the box to receiver. Oh and I have tried multiple HDMI cables.
post #11 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Usually on the receiver front display it tells you what signal is coming in. If it says Dolby Digital, for example, then the receiver is sensing a DD signal from an input, that means the source IS sending out audio and therefore working properly, do you see what I'm getting at?

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #12 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

gotcha, it just says stereo currently. but I have changed it to various other settings with no luck.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Stereo could mean either stereo PCM or nothing.

The DVR works with another TV and your HTIB.

The PS3 works with the receiver.

Then it is the combo (HDMI handshaking) which seems to be the problem. There are many threads with this issue here.

It's worth trying HDMI for video and SPDIF for audio if you're dead set against component cables. I use component myself to avoid all the HDMI sync issues.

post #14 of 18 Old 06-02-2013, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

okay just an update, I just left the receiver on for about 5-6 hours on another input and I just switched it back to cable box and it WORKED!!!

So frustrating but I guess it's working now. I guess the handshake was the issue but just leaving them on for a while fixes it, or at least in my case.

Next issue is getting the receiver on the internet. any thoughts ?
post #15 of 18 Old 06-03-2013, 12:08 AM

Sounds like the same issue that I'm having, I wish there was more explanation as to why it just starting working all of a sudden...
post #16 of 18 Old 06-03-2013, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

I wish too, but I just switched inputs and it worked
post #17 of 18 Old 06-04-2013, 02:49 PM

I'm having the same "network" problem trying to update the software. Everything else seems to work. I've got net radio coming through fine, but when I try to update the software it starts the process, finds the file and estimates 32 minutes. It then goes to "Updating at 0%" for about 4 or 5 minutes, then comes back with "UPDATE ERROR 7"

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
post #18 of 18 Old 06-15-2013, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was told by pioneer there is no firmware update, Japan hasn't reset the switch. She did say one should be out next week. So I'll find out next week if that's correct.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Channel Av Receiver Vsx 1123 K

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page