Yamaha RX-V475 HDMI Video Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I recently purchased a Yamaha RX-V475, and I'm I'm having problems with video making it to the hdmi out.

I've got three HDMI ins (comcast cable box, roku XDS, belkin widi), and one out (connected to an optima hd33 projector). When switching between hdmi inputs, the box clicks a few times, and the hdmi "out" light flickers on and off, and sometimes stays out and I have no video signal. It seems to initially have the signal (I'll get a flicker on the screen), then clicks a few times and loses it. I've tried different cables and different ordering of input arrangements, but it still fails to display video most of the time. If I power off, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. this is very frustrating. I also used to have the same setup on a cheap hdmi switcher which never had issues with the signal.

The issue is most prevalent with the roku, occasionally happens with the belkin device, and rarely happens with the cable box. Also, when powering on, the cable box also gets some signal that displays "dui" (which apparently means "dvi"). If I unplug the cable box, turn the amp off, then back on, I tend to have good success displaying the Roku video.

It may be that the Roku is at 720p by default and the widi and cable box are at 1080 - not sure.

I returned the original because Yamaha support suggested there was something wrong with the HDMI board, but the behavior is exactly the same on the second unit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 AM

Hello,

I just picked up this receiver last night and had a very similar problem and almost returned it.

But, I finally got it working as part of my troubleshooting, by doing the following.

1. With receiver on, unplug player (dvd player, roku, whatever) from hdmi input on receiver and plug it into TV.
2. Confirm that proper image appears on TV
3. Plug player back into receiver HDMI input and confirm image is now displaying correctly on TV.

This fixed it for me and still worked after several power cycles.

Hope this helps,

-Randy
post #3 of 28 Old 06-07-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Randy,
Good luck to you - I also found better performance when I configured HDMI to stay on during standby. But regardless, I wound up returning the unit - it was just too frustrating. I had a $15 hdmi switch before and never had any problems with it regardless of what order things were plugged in or powered on - I don't understand why it is so complicated.
post #4 of 28 Old 06-08-2013, 08:06 PM

Well, after getting it all working I find that the hdmi audio doesn't 'sync' after a power cycle.

If I go into HDMI configuration and toggle a couple of settings, audio syncs and works until the next power cycle.

I updated to the latest firmware (1.05) but still have the problem.

I am returning this thing.
post #5 of 28 Old 06-11-2013, 03:51 AM

Hey guys.

Kinda of a question/comment here on this topic as is my first time of hooking up multiple HDMI devices to a amp, using it as a switch, and feeding one cable to my TV.

But while although I will say I get lag sometimes for just these, all my HDMI devices do seem to properly work OK. But issue I had was in the two screens the amp itself would produce which were the USB & Net screens.

For these I had major issues where once in a while they would come up on the TV, but rarely.

So in looking at the instructions more, I saw where even for the most basic of TV, they show a audio cable of some kind that needs to be from the HDMI fed to the TV, coming back from the TV to the amp.

In my case I was able to do just as they showed where I used a Optical out and cable from my TV, to the AV4 optical in of the amp.

But once I did this, the USB and Net radio screens came in perfect.

So for the question part, is this a normal thing for this kind of a setup?

Kinda just am wondering if it is as I seem to have all the right connections there an even always wondered why there even is a audio out of the HDMI feed especially where it passes right through with no volume or even mute control of the TV.

So for the comment, am just wondering for you guys who had issues getting the HDMI fed devices to show, did you or did you not hook up that audio feed leg back?

All in all, as said, mine either way seemed to be OK for those devices, and would seem odd that it would need this, but maybe the amp just needs this to swtich properly as I don't see any lesser way in the instructions show to hook things up.

One note on this is that for the HDMI devices, this really seemed for me to make no dif. Still seem to get some lag sometimes, but at least its never been a no show.

Thanks
post #6 of 28 Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 AM

I exchanged my avr for another new one and still had issues with hdmi switching.

I think I know what is happening now, and my conclusion is that I can't use ARC from my tv.

I have a 2013 Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 with ARC.
I want to use the TVs internet apps with ARC to feed audio to the avr.
This never worked consistently, after a power cycle I lost ARC audio and sometimes Blu-ray audio.
Also, turning off the tv did cause the avr to turn off but turning on the tv did not turn on the avr.

I believe this is what's happening.
In order to activate ARC on my TV I need to enable Viera Link (HDMI-CEC) on the TV and HDMI control on my avr.
But, I don't thing the Yamaha v475 fully supports Panasonic Viera Link, and Viera Link is 'confusing' it.
I should add that I am running the latest firmware on my TV, avr and blu-ray player.

So, I think my only solution is to use optical as the audio return from my tv to avr.

It is hard to believe that in 2013 we still have these kinds of compatibility issues.

-Randy
post #7 of 28 Old 06-22-2013, 05:12 AM

Liked: 11
I just got mine, and I have an even different issue. I have a TiVo XL4 hooked in to HDMI1 (not that it matters), and I will be browsing the TiVo, select a video to play, and it will play, and I hear the audio, but on the display, I see a cycling of static and a black screen. It doesn't always happen, either. Anyone else experience this?

I guess I can try forcing the TiVo to just one video output format, but where's the fun in that?

post #8 of 28 Old 08-13-2013, 06:48 PM

Liked: 16
RX 675 and Panasonic ARC problems that sound similar to what already been described..
I have to turn on HDMI control on the 675 to get the ARC channel enabled for the TV to deliver
ARC audio from the TV . It works unitl the next power cycle then the reciever will not recognize any sound from the 675 ,ARC or regular HDMI. until I turn of HDMI control on the 675 . I have talked to Panasonic and Yamaha.
Panasonic says it has no special setting for home theater and the ARC channel is always on like a fixed audio out line. Yamaha does seem to want to recognize that this is a problem with there machine.
post #9 of 28 Old 08-13-2013, 06:52 PM

I meant the 675 will not recognize any audio till I turn HDMI control off after a power cycle.
Also the TV it s TCP55vt60.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-23-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Perhaps this will work for you...............
Finally found the solution to getting ARC to function properly, even through power cycles, for APPS audio output from Panasonic TC-L58E60 via HDMI to Yamaha RX-V375. There are two different Panasonic Viera Link menus. One of these menus is in MENU which allows you to turn Viera Link on and set Power Link On/Off control. Not discussed in the owners manual is another Viera Link menu when you are on the APPS page that gives you the option of either outputting audio from Apps to either TV Speakers or Home Theater if you are using a Panasonic AV receiver or Panasonic Home Theater. I have found that the Viera Link menu in APPS is not necessarily Panasonic dependent as indicated by the owner manual, it also works with, in my case, Yamaha. So to get ARC to work consistently, even through power cycles, you need to go into Yamaha HDMI Control menu and set to on and set ARC to on, go into Panasonic MENU and set VIera Link to on, and on Panasonic APPS page go to Viera Link menu and set SPEAKERS to HOME THEATER and viola.............APP audio via ARC, even through power cycles. Now why couldn't Panasonic customer service or support suggest that a week ago?
post #11 of 28 Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 PM

No such setting under apps on the 55vt60 . There is a viera link contol under that icon but the only choice is recorder .
post #12 of 28 Old 08-24-2013, 12:15 AM

I think I had some success with that approach. Home theater doesn't appear as an option until you turn on HDMI control .
Since I had a Panasonic DVD player/recorder it always showed up. So it appears to work as you indicated but there is nothing
in the manual that tells you to do that. The audio seems to stay on between power cycles like you said.

Thanks
post #13 of 28 Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 AM

turning on hdmi control on on the Yamaha then going to the Viera apps menu and to viera link causes the home theater
option to be displayed so you can select it.
post #14 of 28 Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 AM

Hey ctuna,
Not to belabor the point, but I went into the ehelp manual for your model. According to that document on pages 143 and 144 you do have capability to access tv versus home theater speaker option as I said. It does differentiate between going through the menus "on screen" versus through strictly the viera link on your remote. It does state that if accessing through remote button it is only going to take you to the "recorder". Going through the process "on screen" gets you to the speaker output choices.
Just trying to help........
post #15 of 28 Old 08-24-2013, 09:02 AM

sorry,
was in process of sending email when you sent yours. Glad you got it to work. Yes, Panasonic should do a better job with instructions for ARC, it would save a lot of wasted time and frustration. Have a great day.
post #16 of 28 Old 08-24-2013, 03:18 PM

I spent time with both panasonic and yamaha on this and they had no idea about how this option works.
Panasonic attitude was if you don't use a Panasonic device they can't help you . Although I called twice and one
person was considerably more helpful . The Yamaha guy wanted me to run the Cable Box output directly to the TV instead
of using the AV reciever as switch which would have resulted in no onscreen display control for the AVR.

They hid this option pretty deep in the Panasonic menus and I sure wouldn't have found it if I didn't get a response here.
It took me a little time to decode what the Viera option inside Apps did as the Home theater option does not display unless
HDMI is turned on , on the AV Receiver . I really don't like the onscreen manual for the TV that much.

Since there are so many posts with this problem it doesn't seem like there is much communication going on between
these manufacturer's
post #17 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post

RX 675 and Panasonic ARC problems that sound similar to what aAMPlready been described..
I have to turn on HDMI control on the 675 to get the ARC channel enabled for the TV to deliver
ARC audio from the TV . It works unitl the next power cycle then the reciever will not recognize any sound from the 675 ,ARC or regular HDMI. until I turn of HDMI control on the 675 . I have talked to Panasonic and Yamaha.
Panasonic says it has no special setting for home theater and the ARC channel is always on like a fixed audio out line. Yamaha does seem to want to recognize that this is a problem with there machine.
I have exactly the same problem for the rx-675; I was using hdmi arc on rx-375 , it was fine.
After i upgraded to rx-675 , the nightmare happen. , when you turn on the hdmi control.,
After power clycle, the sounds send to TV instead of amp
post #18 of 28 Old 08-30-2013, 07:49 PM

The Home Theater Menu is well hidden on the Panasonic TV also the menu is not shown until the TV detects a HDMI compatible
Receiver . So it doesn't even look like the Pansonic TV has a Home theater option till the Receiver is attached and its HDMI is turned on.
I now have things working now that Waggy Beast pointed me in the right direction. So now I have noticed I have some IR problems after
watching cnbc for a month for three hours a day . I don't think the IR problem with plasma has been fixed at all. The Home Theater setting is
hidden in side the Apps menu under Viera Link when it appears . I would have though it would be in the main settings menu.
post #19 of 28 Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 AM

Hi there

I have had this issue with a 673 and my LED panasonic. I can get the sound out via ARC and the remote for Sky/TV now turn the sound up and down on the home theatre. The ARC is set to on on the Yamaha and when i turn the TV off via remote to Standby its fine.

When i turn it off on the tv so not in standby it then reverts back to being set to Tv for remote volumn instead of home Theatre

Any ideas are most welcome

thanks

chris smile.gif
post #20 of 28 Old 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM

The same problem I had initially with arc is what you are describing.
I had to go into the Apps menu then the viera link inside the apps menu select home
theater as opposed to speakers in the TV and didn't have the power down trouble after that. Your Hdmi cable between the
tv and receiver have to be plugged into the Hdmi ARC enabled ports.
post #21 of 28 Old 09-18-2013, 06:49 AM

Oh thanks for your reply.

i did the same with the home theatre setting but when i turned off the tv (on the tv itself) not standby from remote. it had lost the link.

was you turning off on the tv itself or by remote?
post #22 of 28 Old 09-18-2013, 10:31 AM

I always use the remote . I noticed that if I actually unplugged the TV that the TV reverts to using the
Internal Speakers instead of the Home Theater Speakers and I have to go in and reset the Home Theater
option for Home Theater which is kind of messed up but I don't unplug it ever .
post #23 of 28 Old 03-01-2014, 04:37 AM

I just got RX-V475, and had the same problem. Read the owners manual and here is what Yamaha say:

TV does not support HDCP / Read TV specification. ---> I have pass this, as player works perfect when directly connected to TV and was lazy to read TV manual.

Also Yamaha support HDMI passtrough 1080p / 60,50,30,25,24 Hz

I have LG BD 570 connected with HDIM Out settings
50Hz RGB - No signal/Invalid format massage on TV
50Hz YCbCr - No signal/Invalid format massage on TV
24Hz YCbCr - Everything works perfect

As it is BD Player, I do not need 50Hz. But these days I may connect PC - and this could be gaming problem - but I rarely play games

Best wishes
post #24 of 28 Old 03-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Liked: 11

This is funny, all the issues I'm reading here are with Panasonic TV's. 

I have the RX-V475 hooked into a Samsung UN55F6400 and after setting the menu up on the TV to use the Receiver (ARC) for audio, with it hooked into the right HDMI port on the TV, the ARC works fine for me. I have a Samsung BD-F5900 blu ray player and never had issues with that. The only issue I seem to have had was a moment where a static screen came up and I had to power down then power back up the AVR and it was fine. Audio never dropped. Now I notice with my HTPC that the screen blinks a few times as if the mode changes but it comes back. Those are the only quirks I've noticed. I've had the receiver for 4 months now. I even bought the 5yr warranty through HHGregg when I got it just for giggles. 

The only real issue I'm having is the receiver turns on by itself sometimes with no interaction. I'm trying to troubleshoot this now. I disabled the auto update on my TV since I read that in a forum somewhere. Next I'll hide the remote, it's a Logitech Harmony, maybe it's possessed or the batteries are dying? :)

I did have an issue at one point where all the OSD items were garbled/missing. I did a power cycle and all has been fine. I'd hate to get rid of this AVR since I like it so much, but I haven't heard great things about others in this price range.

post #25 of 28 Old 06-05-2014, 10:41 AM

I realize I'm responding to a 3-month-old post, but, this problem is not limited to any particular brand name or device.  Rather, it appears to be built-into the current implementation of the CEC HDMI Control functionality -- AKA:  Samsung "AnyNet+" or Panasonic "VieraLink".   I am having the same frustrations with my new Samsung PN64F8500 TV and Yamaha RX-V575 AVR, as described below.

I have enabled AnyNet+ and ARC on the TV; and ARC/HDMI-control on the AVR.  All inputs are through the AVR -- the primary being a Tivo Premiere XL4 on HDMI1.  The TV remote turns both the TV and the AVR on and off and controls the AVR volume correctly.  So, with the AVR selecting the Tivo on HDMI, I power down using the TV remote. But when I power-up, the following sequence occurs every time:

(1) The AVR switches to the "TV" input (AV4), which has nothing connected to it, yet video is still passed through from HDMI1.

(2) About a second later, the AVR switches back to the "Tivo" input on HDMI1, and all is well.  But wait about 5 or 6 seconds ...

(3) Now the AVR switches back to the "TV" input and sound is lost.

At this point I must re-select the "Tivo" input on the AVR to restore sound.  I have found no way to defeat this scenario.  I believe this is because CEC does not recognize the Tivo box and therefore tells the AVR to switch to the "TV" device.  If anyone has new information to add -- of if you have found a way to make this automation worked correctly with these devices, PLEASE SHARE !!

Thanks!

-Jay

post #26 of 28 Old 07-03-2014, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggybeast View Post
Perhaps this will work for you...............
Finally found the solution to getting ARC to function properly, even through power cycles, for APPS audio output from Panasonic TC-L58E60 via HDMI to Yamaha RX-V375. There are two different Panasonic Viera Link menus. One of these menus is in MENU which allows you to turn Viera Link on and set Power Link On/Off control. Not discussed in the owners manual is another Viera Link menu when you are on the APPS page that gives you the option of either outputting audio from Apps to either TV Speakers or Home Theater if you are using a Panasonic AV receiver or Panasonic Home Theater. I have found that the Viera Link menu in APPS is not necessarily Panasonic dependent as indicated by the owner manual, it also works with, in my case, Yamaha. So to get ARC to work consistently, even through power cycles, you need to go into Yamaha HDMI Control menu and set to on and set ARC to on, go into Panasonic MENU and set VIera Link to on, and on Panasonic APPS page go to Viera Link menu and set SPEAKERS to HOME THEATER and viola.............APP audio via ARC, even through power cycles. Now why couldn't Panasonic customer service or support suggest that a week ago?
This is an old post but I want to thank you, I have a panny and a Yamaha and this worked!!!!! I spent hours trying different combinations. Wow. Thank you. Yamaha has great customer service, but not so much from Panasonic. This was Panasonic's deal but they did not try at a solution. Thanks again. I love my setup, but going through lots of crap to watch tv and then switch to another source was a pain. You brought the C back into the CEC.
post #27 of 28 Old 07-03-2014, 07:45 AM

to bdfromsd

Glad you found my post. My setup has worked flawlessly since figuring out the output setting in the APPS viera link menu.
post #28 of 28 Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 AM

Liked: 0
Excellent advice. I never would have discovered this "hidden" menu. Thanks waggybeast!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V475 5 1 Channel Network Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page