Lost faith in Denon - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I had to take back my Onkyo 717 due to 6-8 hdmi drop outs an hour.

Left the hole in the equipment rack for a week until i came across a Denon AVR 2113CI for $509 at bestbuy.
I get it home and as soon as it was powered on is when the issues began.

No video through hdmi. I checked all cables made sure in right spots (only monitor out, directv and sony bluray). The last cable i removed was the hdmi cable coming from my directv hr34 (which was turned off). As soon as i unplugged that cable i get the set up screen on the denon, i plug back in i get no signal on my tv. Thinking this is a hdmi hand shake issue i power off the denon and back on now it is a pink screen, i repeat 3x before i get rid of the pink screen and i finally get video with the sat box plugged in.

I walk through the set up get it all set and done and this is where my heart sank. My tv speakers are louder and my klispch pro media 2.1 system on my computer sounds better. I have to have the system volume at almost max levels (10db away from max) to get any "impact" from the sound and even at that level it is not that loud my old sony es100 at half volume was louder by miles. Any thing high then that it starts to sound muddy like it cant handle all what is going on in the scene. At lower volumes there is no dynamic range.

I am relly kicking my self for sending the onkyo back, because now the price went up on it. I was able to get it for $537 out the door at bestbuy. But the issue is they dont carry it any more. And price is now close to $700 on amazon.
So i am really wanting a new AVR for the true/master sound tracks. Any ideas before i just put my sony back and give up on keeping up with technology and sound formats?

I want to stick around $5-550.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 85
This sounds like either a setup issue or a defective unit as the 2113 should not sound vastly different from your old Onkyo. That said, Newegg often has great deals on Yamaha receivers worth a look.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastgtp View Post

Well I had to take back my Onkyo 717 due to 6-8 hdmi drop outs an hour.

Left the hole in the equipment rack for a week until i came across a Denon AVR 2113CI for $509 at bestbuy.
I get it home and as soon as it was powered on is when the issues began.

No video through hdmi. I checked all cables made sure in right spots (only monitor out, directv and sony bluray). The last cable i removed was the hdmi cable coming from my directv hr34 (which was turned off). As soon as i unplugged that cable i get the set up screen on the denon, i plug back in i get no signal on my tv. Thinking this is a hdmi hand shake issue i power off the denon and back on now it is a pink screen, i repeat 3x before i get rid of the pink screen and i finally get video with the sat box plugged in.

I walk through the set up get it all set and done and this is where my heart sank. My tv speakers are louder and my klispch pro media 2.1 system on my computer sounds better. I have to have the system volume at almost max levels (10db away from max) to get any "impact" from the sound and even at that level it is not that loud my old sony es100 at half volume was louder by miles. Any thing high then that it starts to sound muddy like it cant handle all what is going on in the scene. At lower volumes there is no dynamic range.

I am relly kicking my self for sending the onkyo back, because now the price went up on it. I was able to get it for $537 out the door at bestbuy. But the issue is they dont carry it any more. And price is now close to $700 on amazon.
So i am really wanting a new AVR for the true/master sound tracks. Any ideas before i just put my sony back and give up on keeping up with technology and sound formats?

I want to stick around $5-550.

FWIW, 10 dB from max is one tenth of the power at max (subjectively about half of the volume you'd get assuming clean output and no speaker compression at max.. An analog volume control that is log taper will be at one tenth power when it is set at half. An analog volume control that is linear taper will be at one half power (about 3 dB (udibly, one notch) below full power.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I would re-check everything that does not sound normal.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Im gonna try to reset everything including the audyssey xt setting.

Ill report back.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well i played around with it and the last thing i tried did wake it up (turned off dynamic volume and disabled the sound calibration) but it is still lacking what i would call depth or dimension to the sound track. I even had a friend over and watched the matrix really for chapter 29 (lobby scene) and he even stated it feels like it is lacking something to it. Another thing i also noticed is the sound it produces is on the bright side even with a flat EQ to the point it it hurts the ears.

Another thing i also noticed that when using the PURE direct mode i lose the display on the avr and on my tv until i turn it to another sound mode.

Before i order the TXNR717 again what else can i try or do?
post #7 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Search the forum for DirecTV HDMI issues with Denon AVRs. I remember there being some chatter about DirecTV DVRs not playing nicely with Denon AVRs but not sure whether it was the HR-34 or older satellite receivers.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #8 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Keep in mind the 717 uses the most basic version of Audyssey 2EQ which cannot EQ the subwoofer while the 2113CI uses MultEQ XT which can EQ the sub as well has having 16x the speaker EQ filter resolution as does 2EQ so should sound noticeably better. Did you run Audyssey using either a camera tripod or mic boom stand to support the mic as recommended in the Owner's manual? Have you reviewed the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked in my sig to get the best out of the Audyssey setup? Also note that DIRECT and PURE DIRECT both disable Audyssey with PURE DIRECT also disabling any analog video as well as the front panel display by design.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
We weren't there to see you doing the calibration but:

1. Read the Audyssey FAQ and follow it closely, otherwise the results could be off.

2. Check the XO settings afterwards and manually adjust it if needed, as explained in the FAQ.

3. Ensure no Audyssey Volume, DRC, night mode etc. is on.

4. No front display with PURE DIRECT is by design, it is meant to do that, as explained in the menu. This does make one wonder if you've read the manual.wink.gif Also with this mode there is no bass management.

If after that you're still not satisfied maybe you are better off with another brand or you're just used to untamed bass.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

To Clear up a few things.

Yes i have read the manual.
Yes i did the 6 position calibration on my camera tripod. I ran it 3 times and each time they all came up with the same settings
Again with the pure directv i even lose Picture on the screen from not only directv but bluray too. There is no analog sources connected only hdmi.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastgtp View Post

To Clear up a few things.

Yes i have read the manual.
Yes i did the 6 position calibration on my camera tripod. I ran it 3 times and each time they all came up with the same settings
Again with the pure directv i even lose Picture on the screen from not only directv but bluray too. There is no analog sources connected only hdmi.

Pure Direct disables all video modes and front panel display... analog audio output is the only active signal in pure direct. This is for people who are listening to CDs and want to disable all other electronics in the receiver in order to avoid any other electrical interference.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #12 of 14 Old 06-05-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so i did a a microprocessor rest and this seemed to help alot.

But now i am running into a new problem
The denon will not see any files from my media service that are flac. It will only see mp3 files. According to the manual and site it says it will play flac files.
Any ideas?
post #13 of 14 Old 06-06-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Well i called denon yesterday, and all they could say was if it not playing them then there is something wrong with the built in codec and needs to be sent in for repair.

This is my last cry for help. If anyone can try to help me out with this before i box the thing back up and get my money back. It would be appreciated \.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Might get more help if you post in the official AVR-2113 thread. cool.gif

You can also do a search of that thread against "flac" and see all the related posts people have posted.

Oppo Beta Group
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr717 , Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page