Bryston 6B-SST2 3-channel power amp - considerations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All!

I am entertaining getting a 6B SST2 to run the front three HT speakers (L,R, Center).
I have two other Emotiva amps running fine, they take care of back 4).
I'm sending back a Parasound A21 because it is sensitive, introduced ground loop hum, the unit itself started humming, and was just a pain - all within 2 months. The Emotivas have always been pain free, and not introduced any issues whatsoever.
I wish to upgrade the amp for the front 3 nonetheless. (the emotivas are fine for the rear 4).

My questions for this Bryston are:
1. Is it also sensitive like the Parasound, or will it be tough & reliable like the Emotiva's? Can I assume it wont give me the ground loop issues the A21 did? (no other amps have up until now)
2. 20amp outlets in the house. I can plug directly into the wall OR a new Shunyata Hydra Triton. I dont need to bring out an electrician to meet requirements for this 6B do I? I will not be cranking this thing to beyond oblivion, sucking power. 90% of the time, it will be moderate playback volume, maybe slightly higher. BluRay nights will be louder of course, but not shockingly.

I just want to confirm acquiring this amp is fairly straight forward, and I dont end up in the same place the A21 put me.
And it doesn't have prerequisites that need to be met, that I can generally use it like 'standard' amps.

I am disappointed in the Parasound being so quirky. Potential great buy for the $ if it wasn't so sensitive.

Last thought: which will be a better product to meet my stability goals, this Bryston or the Mark Levinson 3-Channel No 533h?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-04-2013, 03:58 PM

Liked: 14
^
GizmoWrecker, I'd take a step back and take deep breath, you have a nice budget to play with. Can the Bryston take a beating? It comes with a 20 year warranty, that should say a lot. Do you have 1 or 2 (20 amp circuits) for your system? If you have only 1 circuit, I would add a second 20 amp circuit, 1 for your amp the other for the rest, maybe even a third depending on your Emotiva's. Having dedicated ground circuits for your systems can have a bigger positive impact than you might think.
The Shunyata Triton seemed to pop up out of nowhere. Do you own one? Heard one? Had one recommended? I am not entering into power conditioner debate, just curious is all. I own a few of their PC's and I am happy with them, but that's just me.
What are the speakers you will by driving? What is your processor / AVR?
Bryston or Levinson? You really owe it to yourself to audition both. Have fun. . .

Steve
post #3 of 6 Old 06-04-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingMyRide View Post

^
GizmoWrecker, I'd take a step back and take deep breath, you have a nice budget to play with. Can the Bryston take a beating? It comes with a 20 year warranty, that should say a lot. Do you have 1 or 2 (20 amp circuits) for your system? If you have only 1 circuit, I would add a second 20 amp circuit, 1 for your amp the other for the rest, maybe even a third depending on your Emotiva's. Having dedicated ground circuits for your systems can have a bigger positive impact than you might think.
The Shunyata Triton seemed to pop up out of nowhere. Do you own one? Heard one? Had one recommended? I am not entering into power conditioner debate, just curious is all. I own a few of their PC's and I am happy with them, but that's just me.
What are the speakers you will by driving? What is your processor / AVR?
Bryston or Levinson? You really owe it to yourself to audition both. Have fun. . .

Hi
Yes I am Shunyata fan. I have all CX and Zitron PC's throughout. I just added the latest edition Hydra Triton, with an Anaconda Zitron, and the results have been the most dramatic I have ever encountered in 30+ years of being an equipment consumer. After 100 hours of dull break in of the behemoth, it started blossoming like a flower. Now 200 hours in, its blasts me off the couch during action movies, its epic.

My system currently:
- Marantz AV7005 (after-marked modded)
- DirectV HD Satellite Rcvr
- Oppo BDP-95 (after-market modded)
- Horizontal case HTPC - I designed and built. Win7 x64.
- SVS SB13-Plus
- Emotiva XPA2
- Emotiva XPA3
-
- Infinity Cascade L/R/C speakers
- DefTech Gem XL side surrounds
- DefTech Gems back surrounds
- All CX and Zitron power cables
- Hydra Triton, one month old
- Emotiva XLR cables
- Samsung 46" LCD
- Shunyata cable elevators

This is not a dedicated home theater room, just a living room on steroids.

I got a A21 parasound but am returning it due to it being a pain in the ***.
I want to get a 3-channel monster for the front 3, and the remaining two Emotivas will handle the rear and side surrounds.

I know that getting electrician is good, I just dont want to go through the hassle with other family members, its an ordeal.
I should endure it nonetheless.

I live in Orange County, CA - and so far saying the word "audition" doesn't really result in anyone wanting to allow it to happen.

Whats better for HT dynamics, the ML 3-ch, or the Bryston? From what I've read, the Bryston for HT, the ML for non-HT systems. Very much my guess at this point smile.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody know the pin mappings for the XLR? I use a Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro, which is known to use Euro pin mapping. I read the schematic PDF that Bryston has on their website, but can't decipher what pin is what.

Great thing is the 180 phase switch on each channel, but I need to know whether to use it or not, based on the pin mappings.

thx in advance.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

it got the pin mappings.

The remote turn on on every preamp ive used, and my current AV7005, is a small plug cable, looks like a 1/8" headphone cable. The bryston has this OEM molex connector. How do I turn the bryston on, I dont use a Bryston preamp. Looks like I need a cable that has the cable/plug for the marantz on one end, and the wires on the other for the bryston interface. Anyone have to deal with this?

thx for the replies
post #6 of 6 Old 06-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I can't say much about Bryston since I have never owned one. However, I have heard nothing but good things about them, and, the 20 year warranty speaks volumes of their reliability.

I have terribly power hungry and inefficient Aerial Acoustics speakers. After much research I concluded that the absolute best value was to buy a pre-owned Proceed HPA3 amplifier. I purchased mine over two years ago and have smiling ever since smile.gif You can easily find one on A-gon for around $1500. This amp was nearly $5,000 when new.

I have talked to others who have compared to the higher priced Levinson models, and, they claimed that any differences were subtle at best. The HPA3 is 3 channels x 250 watts into 8ohm. It doubles down to 500 watts x 3 into 4 ohm. These are excellent specs.

Despite what some will say you can obtain repair service on Proceed equipment.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page