Does your Sony STR-DN1040 have transformer hum when powered off? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need to find out an answer quick to determine if I need to return this new receiver or not so posting a separate topic thread on it.
I noticed that my brand new Sony STR-DN1040 receiver emits a low level mechanical 60hz hum quite audible when my room is quiet at night.
Since I use this in my bedroom, I find it annoying and unacceptable to have transformer hum when the unit is powered off in standby mode.
The unit seems to be performing fine otherwise. Just plagued by that humming transformer noise. I hate that.

Can all the STR-DN1040 owners please check their receiver to see if it hums like this also?
I need to know if I should return this unit ASAP.

Thank You!

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
I need to know if I should return this unit ASAP.

Even if it hums on other people's Sony would you keep it?

You already said it is unacceptable so take it back.

Afro GT
post #3 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Even if it hums on other people's Sony would you keep it?

Well if it hums on all the other str-dn1040 receivers then I can at least be assured that my particular unit is not defective from the norm.
The hum is not so loud that it is audible during the hustle bustle ambient day time noise level of my room. But I can hear the hum sound when it is dead quiet at night.

the receiver works fine other than this humming transformer issue I report to the public on this forum. The purpose of my posting is two fold, it is also to inform consumers so they can make a smarter buying decision.
It is not to knock Sony. It is to help Sony so that they can be aware of this and maybe (just maybe) remedy their bad batch of humming transformers in future released receivers.

Anyway, in reviewing buy.com's return policy, it sounds to me like they might give me a hard time after I send it back and they will say item is not defective, so they can deny the return. I just know that they will say no problem found and reject my RMA for credit or replacement. I just don't want to deal with the BS.

Words of wisdom, "The more you know, the more you know that you don't know."
post #4 of 9 Old 06-14-2013, 11:25 PM

Liked: 10
I don't hear a humming noice from the listening position but if I bring my ear closer to 30 cm, i hear a faint hum both in standby mode or powered.
There is no blower noise and overall, it seems quiet enough for me. (its in a close cabinet)
My cable-internet receiver make more noise.

If I turn off all other equipment in my room, it reads 34dB on a iphone db meter app.
from a 2m distance, it reads. 34-35dB when I turn on the amp so not much difference with my cabinet open.
Directly on the amp, it goes from 34 to 39dB.

Another test from a denon 2313 receiver, I hear a hiss sound from this one. No difference from the listening experience,plus or minus 1dB but creates more noise when i place the meter on top of the amp. It goest from 34dB to 41 in standby and 43 when powered on with nothing connected to it.

So sony seems to have make a better job from these measure.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-04-2013, 03:17 PM

Just got the same Sony receiver (STR-DN1040). Took me a couple of nights to figure out the hum was coming from it. My Pioneer receiver before it had no hum (moving it to the living room). Looks like I will be sending it back as I cannot get to sleep with that (I'm very sensitive to noises). Maybe I will get an 1800ES - hopefully no hum.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-18-2014, 04:07 PM

I have a similar situation, receiver hums like crazy. did anyone get a replacement? if so was the humming still there with the replacement receiver? help :(

post #7 of 9 Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 PM

Just purchased a STR-DN1040... it also hums, which is annoying. Has anyone swapped their unit with another 1040 that did not hum? I'm going to give it a few days, but the it is highly likely I will return the unit to Best Buy.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 PM

Hi, I returned mine and got a new one sadly it hums too, I guess it's just the way they all are, mine is in a cabinet so I don't hear it from our seating position only when am up close to it.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-22-2014, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the reply dark groova.

I have noticed that if youdisable CEC, HDMI passthrough, & network connection in standby, then the receiver is dead silent when in standby... but that does not change the fact that the unit hums/buzzes when it is on. Ugh.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Dn1040 7 2 Channel 1050 Watt A V Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page