Sherbourn PA-5 vs Emotiva XPA-5? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks,

So I'm pretty much planning on buying either one of these in the next couple weeks. They're priced only $30 apart so I figured "oh well Sherbourn is supposed to be Emotiva's higher end, right?" After closer inspection of their specs I'm not totally sure...

Sherbourn PA 5: http://www.sherbourn.com/collections/theater/products/pa5200
Emotiva XPA-5: http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa5

=============================================================
Sherbourn vs Emotiva:

Sherbourn:
Power Output (rated power; THD < 0.15%):
300 watts / channel (x5); all channels driven; into 4 Ohms.
200 watts / channel (x5); all channels driven; into 8 Ohms.

Emotiva:
Power output (all channels driven):
300 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)

Sherbourn:
Rated Power Bandwidth (at rated power; 8 Ohm load):
20 Hz to 20 kHz + /- 0.05 dB.

Emotiva:
Rated power bandwidth: 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than .05 dB deviation at rated power

Sherbourn:
Frequency Response:
5 Hz to 80 kHz (+ 0 / - 3 dB).

Emotiva:
Broadband frequency response (-3 dB): 5Hz to 150kHz

Sherbourn:
Signal to Noise Ratio (8 Ohm load):
> 83 dB at 1 watt (A-weighted).
> 105 dB at rated power (A-weighted).

Emotiva:
Signal to Noise Ratio:
1 watt: > 97 dB
Full power: >111 dB

Sherbourn:
Power Supply:
1.2 kVa toroidal power transformer.
90,000 uF of storage capacitance.

Emotiva:
Transformer rating: 1,200VA
Secondary capacitance: 60,000uF

Sherbourn:
Dimensions:
17” wide x 7.75” high 19” deep. Weight: 58 lbs (net); 71 lbs (boxed).

Emotiva:
Size:
unboxed: 17” wide x 7 3/4” high x 19” deep
boxed: 23 1/2" wide x 12" high x 24 3/4" deep
Weight: 72.6 lbs (83.8 lbs boxed)

Sherbourn:
Warranty: 10 years

Emotiva:
Warranty: 5 years
=============================================================

So, if I look at these numbers it seems like Emotiva is winning on almost all of them aside from secondary cap. The big thing that I assume a lot of what you guys would separate is the difference in warranty. Which if all numbers are a wash is the best reason to go with Sherbourn.

Anyways, I tried like hell to find some actual measurements of the Sherbourn unit and came up dry. There are some for emotiva here: http://emotiva.com/resources/media/xpa5/xpa5_8ohm.pdf If any of you find anything for Sherbourn please let me know.

The two biggest numbers make me shy towards Emotiva is that it looks like it measures better THD (<0.1% as opposed to <0.15%) and the SNR: >97dB as opposed to >83dB. I also like that the emotiva is heavier smile.gif

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Flip a coin biggrin.gif

I just bought the XPA-3. I was ready to order it one night, slept on it and then the next day it was like $70 dollars cheaper smile.gif This is my first home audio amp and I have to tell you this thing is huge! I was surprised at how big it was.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:28 PM

Liked: 45
I wouldn't let the specs sway you as that's not going to explain how they sound, and they are going to be pretty close. I'd go for the Sherbourn based on warranty alone.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I also don't believe the weight spec for the PA-5, I believe it is over 70 lbs.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

My 5-200 manual states:
S/N: 1 watt >97 dB. Full power >111 dB.
Secondary capacitance 60,000
Weight. 66 lbs (86 lbs boxed).
Broadband frequency (-3 dB) 5 Hz to 150 Hz.
There was not 20 lbs of packaging materials, not even close.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:48 PM

Well for what it's worth, I too have been looking at both of these amps and I ordered the Sherbourn not 30 minutes ago.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

I wouldn't let the specs sway you as that's not going to explain how they sound, and they are going to be pretty close. I'd go for the Sherbourn based on warranty alone.
Can you clarify this how they sound comment.....I didn't see any eq in either of the specs. As far as I know if the amp is not transparent then it is likely a bad design.....and as far as I know neither of these amps are built badly...

Personally since both these amps are similarly built id get whichever one is cheaper at the moment.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Can you clarify this how they sound comment.....I didn't see any eq in either of the specs. As far as I know if the amp is not transparent then it is likely a bad design.....and as far as I know neither of these amps are built badly...

Personally since both these amps are similarly built id get whichever one is cheaper at the moment.

Can you clarify this "eq in the specs" comment? Since they are amplifiers, there is no EQ section or anything of the sort.

My comment on how they sound simply means that specs don't tell you how an amp sounds. And a 5 yr warranty on the Emotiva vs a10 yr warranty on the Sherbourn will be a deciding factor for some. 5 extra years of warranty is actually pretty valuable.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Can you clarify this "eq in the specs" comment? Since they are amplifiers, there is no EQ section or anything of the sort.

My comment on how they sound simply means that specs don't tell you how an amp sounds. And a 5 yr warranty on the Emotiva vs a10 yr warranty on the Sherbourn will be a deciding factor for some. 5 extra years of warranty is actually pretty valuable.
you implied that the amps may have a "sound" that you wouldn't know by looking at the specs. I pointed out that I saw no eq listed in the specs so sm wondering how these amps could possibly have a "sound" let alone sound different from one another. They both are competently designed and therefor should be equally transparent as all solid state competent amps should be and thusly niether having a particular sound that is unidentifiable from the specs.

I do wonder if your sherbourn recommendation has more to do with your well known anti emotiva stance rather then the longer warranty on the sherbourn. While a good warranty is good and long warranty is a good thing it is not the end all be all deciding factor for all purchases for me. Between the two amps in question a perspective buyer couldn't go wrong in choosing either one.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:

you implied that the amps may have a "sound" that you wouldn't know by looking at the specs. I pointed out that I saw no eq listed in the specs so sm wondering how these amps could possibly have a "sound" let alone sound different from one another. They both are competently designed and therefor should be equally transparent as all solid state competent amps should be and thusly niether having a particular sound that is unidentifiable from the specs.

I do wonder if your sherbourn recommendation has more to do with your well known anti emotiva stance rather then the longer warranty on the sherbourn. While a good warranty is good and long warranty is a good thing it is not the end all be all deciding factor for all purchases for me. Between the two amps in question a perspective buyer couldn't go wrong in choosing either one.

Oh I see, you are one of those whose views on amps are that they all sound the same, although since you haven't mentioned taking apart and inspecting either amp or providing proof that you're an electronic engineer, I don't think you can really comment as to them being competent designs or not. At any rate, these 2 will definitely sound the same since they are basically the same amp from the Emotiva/Sherbourn/Jade group. Odd that I would recommend Sherbourn OR Emotiva since they are both owned by Big Dan, or are you not aware of that since you make no mention of it? That doesn't quite jive with your "anti Emotiva stance" comment, shouldn't I be forcing some other brand on the thread starter?

You seem a little clued out about the worth of warranty value, a five year warranty on a piece of electronics is probably in excess of 200 dollars. Instead of trolling, which is obviously what you are doing, simple offer your advice to the question without trying to start another amps sound the same flame war.
Dr_Mark likes this.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Oh I see, you are one of those whose views on amps are that they all sound the same, although since you haven't mentioned taking apart and inspecting either amp or providing proof that you're an electronic engineer, I don't think you can really comment as to them being competent designs or not. At any rate, these 2 will definitely sound the same since they are basically the same amp from the Emotiva/Sherbourn/Jade group. Odd that I would recommend Sherbourn OR Emotiva since they are both owned by Big Dan, or are you not aware of that since you make no mention of it? That doesn't quite jive with your "anti Emotiva stance" comment, shouldn't I be forcing some other brand on the thread starter?

You seem a little clued out about the worth of warranty value, a five year warranty on a piece of electronics is probably in excess of 200 dollars. Instead of trolling, which is obviously what you are doing, simple offer your advice to the question without trying to start another amps sound the same flame war.

You are a funny guy. You jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts. Your post history is really telling about who is truelly the troll. You stated an audiophile myth regarding sound of different ss amps and got called on it and the best you can do is question and attack the messanger instead of the facts. Typical troll behavior and considering what I have seen of your posts on this site I guess I should have expected nothing less.

As far as Im concerned based off my history with a host of different products is that a warranty is worthless if you never use it. I have only used a warranty on one item that I have ever purchased so for me warranty length is not a high importance deciding factor on purchases of similar items.. maybe ive been lucky or maybe by being an informed consumer I have made wise choices in the products ive purchased. So by you abritrailly putting a price tag on the longer warranty of the sherbourn vs the emo amp does nothing for me. Some value warranties for peiceeof mind but most will never need it on most products at least in my experience.

Neither amp is truelly better then the other. They have different appearances and different warranties. For anyone considering them choose the one that fits your needs and buying habits the best.....and beware of audiophiles spreading myths.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 PM

No thanks, despite your obvious attempt to flame me, I'm not biting. It's rude to single me out and take over this thread simply because I'm not an Emotiva fan nor an all- amps-sound-the-same believer as you. Your behaviour is indeed troll like. Quit trying to shove you beliefs onto other people. Just make a suggestion regarding the thread question and leave it at that.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No thanks, despite your obvious attempt to flame me, I'm not biting. It's rude to single me out and take over this thread simply because I'm not an Emotiva fan nor an all- amps-sound-the-same believer as you. Your behaviour is indeed troll like. Quit trying to shove you beliefs onto other people. Just make a suggestion regarding the thread question and leave it at that.
I did make a suggestion regarding the thread in my first post. I also asked you to clarify a comment. If you feel I singled you out then perhaps you should have been more clear and I would not have had to ask you a question in order to clarify a statement you made.

If you don't believe in facts and science then that's your problem. Just be prepared when someone calls you on it when subjective unverified opinions are posted as fact. If you feel that is troll like then I suggest you check your subjectivity at the door because there are dozens of people on this site that will freely counter biased subjective opinions when they are posted as facts.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 PM

Tigerflash18, I'm sorry your thread has been turned into a personal attack. It isn't always like this, I hope you haven't given up on this site yet!

You have selected 2 good amps, if you like the security of a 10 year warranty, you may prefer Sherbourn, but they will both make excellent choices. It might help to know the speakers you have and the room size, you might not even need 200 watts per channel.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I also don't believe the weight spec for the PA-5, I believe it is over 70 lbs.

Hey jim, I don't suppose you'd be willing to go weigh that sucker right now? That would really really help my decision. smile.gif
Quote:

My 5-200 manual states:
S/N: 1 watt >97 dB. Full power >111 dB.
Secondary capacitance 60,000
Weight. 66 lbs (86 lbs boxed).
Broadband frequency (-3 dB) 5 Hz to 150 Hz.
There was not 20 lbs of packaging materials, not even close.

Interesting, so if you go to their manual pdf on their site the specs match what I posted: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0172/4516/t/3/assets/sherbourn_5-200_owners_manual.pdf?10499 This makes me suspicious that somebody out there made some measurements and told Sherbourn about it....or perhaps Sherbourn did their own measurements and had to lower the spec's. Things like this bother me more than they should, be nice if I could just find some measurements smile.gif
Quote:

Tigerflash18, I'm sorry your thread has been turned into a personal attack. It isn't always like this, I hope you haven't given up on this site yet!

You have selected 2 good amps, if you like the security of a 10 year warranty, you may prefer Sherbourn, but they will both make excellent choices. It might help to know the speakers you have and the room size, you might not even need 200 watts per channel.

It's cool, glad to see people are interested in my thread! I love this forum, mostly been a lurker, but am now starting my home theater so I figured I'd have to get my hands dirty at some point. I just bought the paradigm studio line up and an integra DHC 80.3, and my next purchase is the amp. I've been looking into room treatments lately as well. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I would call Shearborn and ask for technical support, they were good when I called them. I thought about weighing it but not for long. I think specs are wrong.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would call Shearborn and ask for technical support, they were good when I called them. I thought about weighing it but not for long. I think specs are wrong.

I gave Emotiva a call and talked to one of their tech reps, I'm pretty sure Emotiva/Sherbourn share the same call person because I tried Sherbourn's number and the lady sounded the exact same.

Anyways, the guy said that the units are essentially the same. The weight on the Sherbourn is wrong and they should both be the same weight, so it should really come down to aesthetics and warranty.

He did also mention though that the Sherbourn unit is likely to phase out soon, simply because it is so similar to the Emotiva that it provides no value-add. From my perspective I'm not sure how I feel about it getting phased out..hell I could see Sherbourn simply ditching their own name and just being Emotiva in the end. I feel like something inside me dies a little knowing I would have a unit from a company that got assimilated. The warranty is nice...but I honestly doubt I'd ever have to use it.

Anyways. Silver or black? haha..
Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 PM

In case anyone is wondering what the actual weight is, it's 72.5 lbs.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I don't get that an amp has a "sound" any more than a cable has a "sound". A distinct "sound" means that the SS amp maker has intentionally put in a wonky frequency response to the amp - OR it is outright defective. It's like saying an amp is like a speaker or a tube amp (or the effect of a room) - where the FR is not necessarily flat. They're made to deliver the signal as unadulterated as possible, and any competent manufacturer does just that.

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier