Firmware update bricked my Yamaha RX-A2020 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-09-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a new RX-A2020 to replace my dead RX-V3900 a couple of weeks ago. Finally got a chance last weekend to install it and do the initial setup. No problems with the install (although not happy about there being no switched AC outlet on it like there was on the 3900!).

Last night after watching a few shows, it showed that there was a firmware update available (v1.58) and asked if I wanted to update it. I let it do the update over the network and it failed with an "Error: 04" message.

Not thrilled, but figured I would just do a USB update today. Sadly, this also has been a miserable failure.

* Download the firmware from Yamaha site
* Format my flash drive as FAT32
* Extract the .bin file from the zip and put it (and only it) on the USB drive
* unplug power from the receiver
* plug in the USB drive
* hold down the Pure Direct button and plug in AC
* let go of the Pure Direct button after "USB Update" comes on the screen
* screen changes to "Verifying..." for a few minutes
* eventually ends with "Device Error"

I've tried FAT16 and FAT32 and get the same results. Ever since the first firmware update failed, I just get "ROM Error" when I power on the receiver.

Went through the usual stuff with level 1 support at Yamaha and eventually they said they have to kick it up to L2 and will get back to me in a day or two.

Not a happy camper right now. Anyone else have similar problems and found a way to fix it?

Thanks,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-09-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Sounds like your unit is defective, but you can try using another USB drive and see if that works.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-09-2013, 01:21 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolette View Post

Got a new RX-A2020 to replace my dead RX-V3900 a couple of weeks ago. Finally got a chance last weekend to install it and do the initial setup. No problems with the install (although not happy about there being no switched AC outlet on it like there was on the 3900!).

Last night after watching a few shows, it showed that there was a firmware update available (v1.58) and asked if I wanted to update it. I let it do the update over the network and it failed with an "Error: 04" message.

Not thrilled, but figured I would just do a USB update today. Sadly, this also has been a miserable failure.

* Download the firmware from Yamaha site
* Format my flash drive as FAT32
* Extract the .bin file from the zip and put it (and only it) on the USB drive
* unplug power from the receiver
* plug in the USB drive
* hold down the Pure Direct button and plug in AC
* let go of the Pure Direct button after "USB Update" comes on the screen
* screen changes to "Verifying..." for a few minutes
* eventually ends with "Device Error"

I've tried FAT16 and FAT32 and get the same results. Ever since the first firmware update failed, I just get "ROM Error" when I power on the receiver.

Went through the usual stuff with level 1 support at Yamaha and eventually they said they have to kick it up to L2 and will get back to me in a day or two.

Not a happy camper right now. Anyone else have similar problems and found a way to fix it?

Thanks,
Jay

Try doing the firmware update as if you are doing it for the first time. For this, you need to download the instruction manual called "firmware update 1.58 installation manual" and follow the instruction exactly. Notice that this is different from what you have done so far. I am almost certain this will successfully install the update.

I should mention that you need to use the USB method not by network.
post #4 of 24 Old 06-09-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARHENTO View Post

Try doing the firmware update as if you are doing it for the first time. For this, you need to download the instruction manual called "firmware update 1.58 installation manual" and follow the instruction exactly. Notice that this is different from what you have done so far. I am almost certain this will successfully install the update.

I should mention that you need to use the USB method not by network.
Interesting that they have multiple procedures for doing firmware updates from USB...

Unfortunately no joy with this one. When I follow the procedure (standby mode, straight button + Main Zone), it just flashes "ROM Error" at me.

Thanks,
Jay
post #5 of 24 Old 06-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Interesting that they have multiple procedures for doing firmware updates from USB...

Unfortunately no joy with this one. When I follow the procedure (standby mode, straight button + Main Zone), it just flashes "ROM Error" at me.

Thanks,
Jay

If you have not yet given up, try resetting your unit to factory default first and then do as I suggested above. I have an A3020 and on my first attempt at firmware update I went through the same ordeal as you did but finally did it successfully. Of course, your unit may be defective as suggested by another poster.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you have not yet given up, try resetting your unit to factory default first and then do as I suggested above. I have an A3020 and on my first attempt at firmware update I went through the same ordeal as you did but finally did it successfully. Of course, your unit may be defective as suggested by another poster.

I've searched the docs and Yamaha's site and not finding instructions on how to do a factory reset. I did see how to reset parameters, but not the firmware. Any pointers to how to do the reset?

Appreciate the help!

Jay
post #7 of 24 Old 06-09-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:

I've searched the docs and Yamaha's site and not finding instructions on how to do a factory reset. I did see how to reset parameters, but not the firmware. Any pointers to how to do the reset?

Appreciate the help!

Jay

Go to:

ADVANCED SETUP > INITIALIZE > ALL

This will restore all factory settings.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-09-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Go to:

ADVANCED SETUP > INITIALIZE > ALL

This will restore all factory settings.

Thanks, but can't get that far. "ROM Error" keeps me from getting to anything that would be in the normal software.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks, but can't get that far. "ROM Error" keeps me from getting to anything that would be in the normal software.

At what point do you get a ROM error message?
post #10 of 24 Old 06-10-2013, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

At what point do you get a ROM error message?
When I press the power button (er, Main Zone button) to bring it out of standby. Same is true when pressing Straight + Main Zone.
post #11 of 24 Old 07-14-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Meant to follow-up here...

After going through 2 levels of Yamaha tech support, they told me I'd have to take it in for warranty repair. The repair is done and I'm back up and running, but really not happy about the QC on Yamaha's firmware update process.

The system should be designed so there is no way to brick the receiver from a firmware update.

Jay
post #12 of 24 Old 07-14-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

There have been problems with Yamaha's firmware update process, but they haven't bricked the receiver. Updating from USB solved these problems for anyone else I've seen here who's firmware update failed.

I suspect your problem was because of faulty hardware. Your receiver wasn't completely bricked, it did recognize the USB drive and did try to start the firmware process. It also was functional enough to recognize that one of the flash chips wasn't programmed correctly. A faulty flash chip would explain the behaviour you saw.
post #13 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Hi there, complete noob to the advanced Audio world here but I am encountering a similar issue and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I have recently installed a RXA2020 with the wireless adapter. When I attempt the firmware update it gives me a device error. Where is the best place to look for topics or troubleshooting for this issue? Also can't get airplay to work or my iPhone app just yet. Followed the wireless unit install instructions to a T but dunno what's wrong.

Thanks!
post #14 of 24 Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have the RX-A720, and I have done two firmware updates from the browser menu. Both went well. Maybe try plugging a cable into the ethernet port if you can, instead of trying wirelessly. You just have to save the firnware update to your PC, and navigate to it and install it that way.
post #15 of 24 Old 07-17-2013, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManitouSmith View Post

Hi there, complete noob to the advanced Audio world here but I am encountering a similar issue and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I have recently installed a RXA2020 with the wireless adapter. When I attempt the firmware update it gives me a device error. Where is the best place to look for topics or troubleshooting for this issue? Also can't get airplay to work or my iPhone app just yet. Followed the wireless unit install instructions to a T but dunno what's wrong.!

You found this thread, so first step from there is to read back through the earlier posts to see the instructions for updating the firmware from a USB drive.

In my case, neither of those paths worked and I had to take it in for warranty service, but that doesn't seem to be the normal case.

Good luck!
Jay
post #16 of 24 Old 07-17-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManitouSmith View Post

Hi there, complete noob to the advanced Audio world here but I am encountering a similar issue and would appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I have recently installed a RXA2020 with the wireless adapter. When I attempt the firmware update it gives me a device error. Where is the best place to look for topics or troubleshooting for this issue? Also can't get airplay to work or my iPhone app just yet. Followed the wireless unit install instructions to a T but dunno what's wrong.

Thanks!

Firmware update via USB port is the way to go.
post #17 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Meant to follow-up here...

After going through 2 levels of Yamaha tech support, they told me I'd have to take it in for warranty repair. The repair is done and I'm back up and running, but really not happy about the QC on Yamaha's firmware update process.

The system should be designed so there is no way to brick the receiver from a firmware update.

Jay

I have gone through the exact porblem. Purchased RX-A2020 a few days ago, did initial wiring and on-line, all good! Unit is using wired ethernet so thought safe to do firmware update as it suggested a update was available. Initiated update through menu, then came back with Error code. As unit was now not responding powered off and now unit bricked (locked up) with "ROM ERROR". Went to on-line support followed instructions for doing firmware update from USB using "pure direct" and power to unit method as no menu available. Comes up with USB update message, promising... but then sits there for a period of time reading USB until "DEVICE ERROR" appears.

I have tried different USB drives and downloaded firmware twice just in case it was corrupted, also tried different different USB drive formats. I am quite familar with flashing embedded controllers as been in systems engineering and IT for 30 years.

Have now rung Yamaha support and waiting for return call. To me the firmware update procedure is flawed and it is was not a faulty unit, but as it now, as the boot firmware is now corrupted! Like most modern PC motherboards it should have a dual BIOS (firmware NVRAM) for this exact situation. Good engineering design woudl say it should load the firmware into temp area, load new firmware and verify if update validates internal diags then it should cutover to new version if it fails it should fail back to old firmware. This is basic and just good software engineering and very poor engineering from Yamaha to get something as basic as this wrong on what is supposed to be a quality device.

Now I am assuming Yamaha will say return for repair which is not only inconvenient but frustrating as I took quite a bit of deliberation before I setled on this unit.

Rob.
post #18 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthommo View Post

I have gone through the exact porblem. Purchased RX-A2020 a few days ago, did initial wiring and on-line, all good! Unit is using wired ethernet so thought safe to do firmware update as it suggested a update was available. Initiated update through menu, then came back with Error code. As unit was now not responding powered off and now unit bricked (locked up) with "ROM ERROR". Went to on-line support followed instructions for doing firmware update from USB using "pure direct" and power to unit method as no menu available. Comes up with USB update message, promising... but then sits there for a period of time reading USB until "DEVICE ERROR" appears.

I have tried different USB drives and downloaded firmware twice just in case it was corrupted, also tried different different USB drive formats. I am quite familar with flashing embedded controllers as been in systems engineering and IT for 30 years.

Have now rung Yamaha support and waiting for return call. To me the firmware update procedure is flawed and it is was not a faulty unit, but as it now, as the boot firmware is now corrupted! Like most modern PC motherboards it should have a dual BIOS (firmware NVRAM) for this exact situation. Good engineering design woudl say it should load the firmware into temp area, load new firmware and verify if update validates internal diags then it should cutover to new version if it fails it should fail back to old firmware. This is basic and just good software engineering and very poor engineering from Yamaha to get something as basic as this wrong on what is supposed to be a quality device.

Now I am assuming Yamaha will say return for repair which is not only inconvenient but frustrating as I took quite a bit of deliberation before I setled on this unit.

Rob.

Update. Just go onto support and they said take it back to shop and get replacement. Will keep you posted on how the next unit goes.
post #19 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have now rung Yamaha support and waiting for return call. To me the firmware update procedure is flawed and it is was not a faulty unit, but as it now, as the boot firmware is now corrupted!

If the "boot firmware" was corrupted you wouldn't have been able to initiate the USB firmware update. Your receiver isn't a PC. There isn't a single flash firmware chip, there are actually several. The microcontroller has its own firmware, so does the ARM system-on-a-chip that handles the USB and network functionality, along each of your receiver's two DSPs. Then there's the FGPA that handles the GUI and basic video processing, it's programmed much like a flash memory chip. If any one of these is faulty the firmware update the firmware update is going to fail.

While I'm less confident it's hardware problem now that two similar complaints have been reported here, it's still very much consistant with something being broken in the hardware. It could be something a simple as the USB port being broken.

Hmm... you are using the front USB port? The back USB connector is just meant for powering the optional wireless gateway. As far as I know its data lines aren't actually connected to anything.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

If the "boot firmware" was corrupted you wouldn't have been able to initiate the USB firmware update. Your receiver isn't a PC. There isn't a single flash firmware chip, there are actually several. The microcontroller has its own firmware, so does the ARM system-on-a-chip that handles the USB and network functionality, along each of your receiver's two DSPs. Then there's the FGPA that handles the GUI and basic video processing, it's programmed much like a flash memory chip. If any one of these is faulty the firmware update the firmware update is going to fail.

While I'm less confident it's hardware problem now that two similar complaints have been reported here, it's still very much consistant with something being broken in the hardware. It could be something a simple as the USB port being broken.

Hmm... you are using the front USB port? The back USB connector is just meant for powering the optional wireless gateway. As far as I know its data lines aren't actually connected to anything.

I did the orginal firmware upgrade attempt over the network with the fixed wired ethernet (not wireless). Then I attempted the firmware reflash via the front USB as per the Yamaha support arcticle for this exact scenario and it failed. The Yamaha Support centre said this can happen when using wireless if the next drops out, but I had a fixed connection. So advice is use USB for firmware updates don't risk using network. I still subscribe that the firmware update process is flawed, if the NVRAM is faulty it should pick that up as part of the pre flash diagnostic check before any new firmware writing occurs. It could do a no destructive read of flash and also do a write test, if there is no room to store a copy of firmware to do write test then that proves my case that it is a bad engineering design as there should always be a staging area as part of an update process for new version and failback.

I have just swapped over the unit and now start the process of unpacking, I am going to flash using USB before I even start the cabling and putting back into the cabinet.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-23-2013, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still subscribe that the firmware update process is flawed, if the NVRAM is faulty it should pick that up as part of the pre flash diagnostic check before any new firmware writing occurs. It could do a no destructive read of flash and also do a write test, if there is no room to store a copy of firmware to do write test then that proves my case that it is a bad engineering design as there should always be a staging area as part of an update process for new version and failback.

Your receiver doesn't use non-volatile RAM, it uses flash memory as I said before. Programming flash memory is the slowest part of firmware update. Doing that write test would double the time it takes to do update, a long enough process already. It would also wear out the flash that much more quickly and only increase the chance of it failing prematurely. Any device that did what you proposed would be badly designed.

In any case, your receiver does have fallback option for restoring the firmware when the normal network or USB methods fail. The instructions you were told to follow is that fallback method and is not the normal method for installing the firmware using USB. Why it failed I don't know. It could be "bad engineering design" as you're so quick to assume, but it's not because they didn't make allowances for the firmware update failing. Since the fallback method has successfully restored the firmware for a number of people here with "bricked" receivers, I suspect what make your case and the original poster's case different is some sort of hardware failure.
post #22 of 24 Old 12-11-2013, 07:54 AM

Here's an URL with all the service files Yamaha has.

Perhaps you'll find the info you need.

http://www.pc-maken.nl/YAMAHA/RX-A2020.zip

post #23 of 24 Old 12-21-2013, 02:38 AM

Hi Folks !

Just upgraded my RX-A2020....All went fine ! Upgraded cause I had problems with AirPlay. I have IOS 7.0.4 and iPAD3.
iPad couldn't recognize Yamaha at all until firmware 1.60

Here's information for upgrading RX-A2020 :

Includes Upgrad Manual and zip file...In fact Meatros attached the zip file earlier....
post #24 of 24 Old 12-21-2013, 02:41 AM

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A2020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - A2020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page