Got a new RX-A2020 to replace my dead RX-V3900 a couple of weeks ago. Finally got a chance last weekend to install it and do the initial setup. No problems with the install (although not happy about there being no switched AC outlet on it like there was on the 3900!).
Last night after watching a few shows, it showed that there was a firmware update available (v1.58) and asked if I wanted to update it. I let it do the update over the network and it failed with an "Error: 04" message.
Not thrilled, but figured I would just do a USB update today. Sadly, this also has been a miserable failure.
* Download the firmware from Yamaha site
* Format my flash drive as FAT32
* Extract the .bin file from the zip and put it (and only it) on the USB drive
* unplug power from the receiver
* plug in the USB drive
* hold down the Pure Direct button and plug in AC
* let go of the Pure Direct button after "USB Update" comes on the screen
* screen changes to "Verifying..." for a few minutes
* eventually ends with "Device Error"
I've tried FAT16 and FAT32 and get the same results. Ever since the first firmware update failed, I just get "ROM Error" when I power on the receiver.
Went through the usual stuff with level 1 support at Yamaha and eventually they said they have to kick it up to L2 and will get back to me in a day or two.
Not a happy camper right now. Anyone else have similar problems and found a way to fix it?