Official Sherbourn PT-7030 Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 351 Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I downloaded irule to my phone and it just seemed like a lot of effort. I may re-visit the app when I get a chance. They should let users upload the remotes that they create so other users can start off with a functional remote. Not sure if they don't but it would be nice. Lets say I create a remote but can't figure out the inputs. You could download my file and then work on it and upload it for everyone else to use.

I'm using an older Pioneer Elite dv59avi. It's an excellent deck for SACD, DVD-A and CD's. Thinking of buying an Oppo but not sure I would gain anything. Someone posted that in bypass there is no subwoofer channel. That is not so for me when I'm playing SACD's and DVD-A audio. I also have sub frequencies when playing CD's in bypass mode too. The only time my sub doesn't play is if I put in a CD and then turn on 5 channel music and the music gets processed.. If I listen to the CD in analog the sub plays too. Pretty sure my Newcastle amp worked this way too.

Directv broadcasts most of its channels in DD so it's nice to have the dynamics of that format. The one wierd this is that I have to go into the setup menu to change my front speakers. When I press the SPKR button on the remote it isn't an option. This is not huge problem since I have my speakers equalized the way I like them. I don't believe in setup disks or room correction software. My ears are my judge and they do a fine job of tweaking the sound in my listening room.

For 699.99 there really isn't much to look at for comparison. Maybe the outlaw processor and the Motiva. The Outlaw is pretty much barebones but got good reviews for sound. The Motiva unit is suppose to be buggy but maybe they worked these bugs out. Has anyone compared any other processors to the Sherbourn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 351 Old 01-11-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy View Post

Someone posted that in bypass there is no subwoofer channel. That is not so for me when I'm playing SACD's and DVD-A audio. I also have sub frequencies when playing CD's in bypass mode too. The only time my sub doesn't play is if I put in a CD and then turn on 5 channel music and the music gets processed.. If I listen to the CD in analog the sub plays too. Pretty sure my Newcastle amp worked this way too.

That is strange, the PT-7030 Bypass mode is supposed to be a pure direct mode for analogue sources that "bypasses" all EQ and processing...signals are routed directly to the volume control.  I have used my 7030 in Bypass mode with 2 channel analogue inputs and get no sub output at all.

Are you using the 7.1 inputs or one of the 2 channel inputs?

post #273 of 351 Old 01-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

If u are listening to SACD or DVD-A you should have a sub channel. Those formats are 5.1:p . Am I missing something.
post #274 of 351 Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 AM

Of course you should have a. 1 output with SACD's or DVD-A but you mentioned that you were also getting a sub output in bypass mode when listening to CD's which do not have any. 1 channel.
I assumed you were using one of the 2 channel analogue inputs for this. I was simply stating that with the 2 channel analogue inputs in bypass mode there would not be any sub output.
post #275 of 351 Old 01-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

I will double check.
post #276 of 351 Old 01-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

I found an old Allman Brother's CD and made sure it wasn't multichannel. It defaulted to Dolby pll and while all my speakers were active there wasn't any bass from my sub. When I pressed multichannel /bypass my sub came alive.
post #277 of 351 Old 01-11-2014, 12:41 PM

I don't think we are on the same page here...

If you use a CD player or any other source connected to the Stereo (2 Ch) inputs # 1 through 6 and select the Bypass option (press the "2 CH" button so it cycles between Stereo and Bypass modes), you should not get any sub output because in the bypass mode the source is sent directly to the volume control bypassing any eq or processing.

You can only select the Bypass option for the stereo inputs, the Multi-channel (7.1 un-balanced inputs) does not have the option to select Bypass as this is the default setting for this input.  The Multi-channel input is desinged to pass through any signal it receives directly so again, no eq or processing.  If your source is sending a signal to the sub input when you are using the Multi-channel inputs then it will of course pass it on to your sub.

post #278 of 351 Old 01-11-2014, 04:40 PM

Liked: 19
Yep, BYPASS turns the PT-7030 into a basic volume control. Note that the sub won't operate (via bass management) for channels set to "LARGE" in the speaker setup.

My front speakers can go deep, but I've set them to "Small" with the crossover set to 60Hz.
post #279 of 351 Old 01-11-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlarb View Post

Yep, BYPASS turns the PT-7030 into a basic volume control. Note that the sub won't operate (via bass management) for channels set to "LARGE" in the speaker setup.

My front speakers can go deep, but I've set them to "Small" with the crossover set to 60Hz.
The sub will operate when you have the fronts set to large if you set the sub to "Max"
When the fronts are set to large you have 3 options for the subwoofer...No, Yes, and Max.
post #280 of 351 Old 01-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

I have a problem that I hope I can get some insight into. I can easily adjust my front speakers through the Sherbourn setup and the test tones. When playing Dolby Digital through from my Directv Genie I don't have access to my front speakers to make adjustments on the fly using the remote. The fronts don't seem to show up on analog either. When I press SPKR what shows up is: center, group delay, center back, L surround, R surround and subwoofer. I checked all my connections and everything seems right. Is this normal? What am I missing. Both my front channels play fine and like I said are adjustable in the initial setup.
post #281 of 351 Old 01-12-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:

I have a problem that I hope I can get some insight into. I can easily adjust my front speakers through the Sherbourn setup and the test tones. When playing Dolby Digital through from my Directv Genie I don't have access to my front speakers to make adjustments on the fly using the remote. The fronts don't seem to show up on analog either. When I press SPKR what shows up is: center, group delay, center back, L surround, R surround and subwoofer. I checked all my connections and everything seems right. Is this normal? What am I missing. Both my front channels play fine and like I said are adjustable in the initial setup.

The fronts are not adjustable on the fly only the surrounds, center and sub.

post #282 of 351 Old 01-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks LPbadge - I find that very strange that the fronts are not adjustable. Not a big problem. All I need to do is go into the main setup and make adjustment. Are you enjoying your Sherbourn? Have you compared it to anything else? My installer friend has it on loan with me but thinking of keeping it.

My Universal player died tonight. I had an old school Pioneer Elite DV-59avi. Before it died I noticed that my upstairs system, with my old New Castle P-965 processor, was playing a sound effect in the opening of Hotel California that was almost inaudible on my Sherbourn system. Even my wife could easily hear the effect much easier on the P-965 system. I was actually comparing the systems when the player died. I checked all the cables, etc. and once the player died it was game over for the comparison. My upstairs system is very similar to my Sherbourn system. I have the same Sherbourn 1500a 5 channel amp, the same sub, the same Klipsch Forte center, the same Klipsch Heresy surrounds. The differences are a Denon universal player upstairs, and Klipsch Cornwalls for fronts. On the Sherbourn system I have Klipschorns for fronts and the Elite 59avi player. My speakers were adjusted about the same. Is it possible that the P-965 is more revealing? Both systems were in bypass/multichannel mode so wouldn't both players dacs be bypassed and what I was hearing was the player? I hope so since I really like the Sherbourn.

Also, can you suggest a good universal player. I have a PS3 that plays SACD's, DVD's, Redbook, BR and 3D video. Would I gain anything by getting an Oppo 83 or better player? I was thinking of maybe using my PS3 for my universal player and then buying an older Universal player for just DVD-A's. I only have about 10 but would like to buy more. Thanks
post #283 of 351 Old 01-12-2014, 07:58 PM

The Sony players (besides the PS3) are nice. I'm happy with my BDP-590. Hard to beat for the price.
post #284 of 351 Old 01-12-2014, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Listening to a CD with 176k sampling rate off the PS3 and also a Billy Joel SACD. The PS3 fat that I have sounds very good. It outputs Optical and HDMI. It will only do multichannel over HDMI. Interesting is that the PS3 will send a LPCM or Bitstream to the preamp. There is no sub output but when I had my Pioneer DV59avi hooked up I was able to get bass from cd's. I had the analog 5.1 hooked up and a set of analog stereo out ans a digital coax. Not really missing the sub but wondering if there is a way to get the Sherbourn to play multichannel )Dolby PLll) from CD's. I was able to do this with the Pioneer. Might have to buy an older player just for these features.

Answered my own question: Set speakers to small and now have subwoofer with redbook. Don't think it's possible to get multichannel with this preamp and HDMI out.
post #285 of 351 Old 01-13-2014, 04:04 PM

Liked: 11
John, great work thanks. FYI i'm seeing 88.2k on SACA through my Oppo 103, is 44.1k a limit of your source material or the player? David
post #286 of 351 Old 01-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Figured out how to get multi-channel with HDMI out through my PS3 Fat. I had to go into the Sherbourn setup and select 5 channel output for the inputs I wanted. Then I selected bit-stream in the PS3 settings. I'm not a purist but I prefer 5 channel stereo over 2 channel.
post #287 of 351 Old 01-13-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks LPbadge - I find that very strange that the fronts are not adjustable. Not a big problem. All I need to do is go into the main setup and make adjustment. Are you enjoying your Sherbourn? Have you compared it to anything else? My installer friend has it on loan with me but thinking of keeping it.

My Universal player died tonight. I had an old school Pioneer Elite DV-59avi. Before it died I noticed that my upstairs system, with my old New Castle P-965 processor, was playing a sound effect in the opening of Hotel California that was almost inaudible on my Sherbourn system. Even my wife could easily hear the effect much easier on the P-965 system. I was actually comparing the systems when the player died. I checked all the cables, etc. and once the player died it was game over for the comparison. My upstairs system is very similar to my Sherbourn system. I have the same Sherbourn 1500a 5 channel amp, the same sub, the same Klipsch Forte center, the same Klipsch Heresy surrounds. The differences are a Denon universal player upstairs, and Klipsch Cornwalls for fronts. On the Sherbourn system I have Klipschorns for fronts and the Elite 59avi player. My speakers were adjusted about the same. Is it possible that the P-965 is more revealing? Both systems were in bypass/multichannel mode so wouldn't both players dacs be bypassed and what I was hearing was the player? I hope so since I really like the Sherbourn.

Also, can you suggest a good universal player. I have a PS3 that plays SACD's, DVD's, Redbook, BR and 3D video. Would I gain anything by getting an Oppo 83 or better player? I was thinking of maybe using my PS3 for my universal player and then buying an older Universal player for just DVD-A's. I only have about 10 but would like to buy more. Thanks

I have enjoyed my 7030 but the audio dropout issue is annoying and after speaking with Emotiva last week, I do not expect a firmware update to fix it.  Overall, the sound is excellent and I had compared it to my Marantz AV7005 which I sold after I installed the 7030.

A very good universal player would be any of the oppo's, I have the 95 and had the 83SE prior to that.  If you do purchase a player like the oppo 105 you would want to connect it visa the analogue outputs in order to take advantage of the DACs in the Oppo.  If you intend on connecting via HDMI, then I would recommend the 103 or 103D versions and use the DAC in the Sherbourn 7030.  The Pioneer universal players have had some really good reviews as well.

post #288 of 351 Old 01-14-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPMurphy View Post

John, great work thanks. FYI i'm seeing 88.2k on SACA through my Oppo 103, is 44.1k a limit of your source material or the player? David

441.k is for CD playback. When I play SACDs I get their full resolution (via LPCM).
post #289 of 351 Old 01-14-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBadge View Post

I have enjoyed my 7030 but the audio dropout issue is annoying and after speaking with Emotiva last week, I do not expect a firmware update to fix it. 

I wonder if the CPU is just underpowered. I mean, it takes about 4 seconds for the menu to come up. The decode delay may already be as low as it can get. I look at it this way: anyone who paid full price for the PT-7030 had a chance to return it; those of us who got the (crazy cheap) closeout price should be happy with the workarounds (use LPCM or analog).
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBadge View Post

Overall, the sound is excellent and I had compared it to my Marantz AV7005 which I sold after I installed the 7030.
A very good universal player would be any of the oppo's, I have the 95 and had the 83SE prior to that.  If you do purchase a player like the oppo 105 you would want to connect it visa the analogue outputs in order to take advantage of the DACs in the Oppo.  If you intend on connecting via HDMI, then I would recommend the 103 or 103D versions and use the DAC in the Sherbourn 7030.  The Pioneer universal players have had some really good reviews as well.

I'd like to start seeing some comparisons to source DACs, even if they are sighted and subjective. I'll do the Onkyo C-7030 tonight.
post #290 of 351 Old 01-14-2014, 06:38 PM

As promised, tonight I compared the sound from my Onkyo C-7030 CD player's analog out to its digital output running through the PT-7030's DACs. The Onkyo is pretty well-regarded for its Wolfson DACs. My expectation was that the Onkyo would sound "warm" and the PT-7030 would sound more "analytical". I didn't find that to be true, though.

I listened to 2 CDs in their entirety: "Land of Giants" (McCoy Tyner on piano, Bobby Hutcherson on vibes), and Kate Bush's "The Sensual World". To level-match them, I needed to cut the digital input by 1 dB.

While listening to "The Sensual World", I switched sources every 15 seconds or so, trying to hear a difference. I couldn't hear one; they sounded almost identical. TSW is a "busy" album, with a lot of synthesizer. I tried a different approach for "Land of Giants". I listened to each source for a few minutes at a time with my eyes closed, trying to imagine I was at a jazz club. This time, the instruments sounded a bit more live with the Onkyo, and the overtones from the piano and vibes rang out a touch "sweeter". It wasn't a dramatic difference, and I wouldn't have picked it up without some very focused listening.

I'll probably stick with the Onkyo's analog out for serious listening, with the lights off and eyes closed. But the PT-7030 sounds great for day-to-day listening (i.e. most of the time).

I'm interested to hear what others think of the stereo DACs in the PT-7030. The differences I heard were subtle enough that I may just be suffering from expectation bias.

[EDIT...I just realized that I had PEQ engaged. So the signal path through the PT-7030 when using the Onkyo's analog outs was A/D-DSP-D/A. This tells me that my ears liked the extra "flavor" of the Wolfson DAC, but more importantly it says that the PT-7030 does a great job with analog inputs, even with the extra conversion steps.]
post #291 of 351 Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Hi,

Both my players died on the same day - go figure but my 47a and dv59avi are at the bottom of the garbage pail. I couldn't stand using my PS3 anymore. so I took your advice and bought the Oppo 103D. I couldn't swing the 1300 for the 105D. From my research they sound pretty similar anyway. Obviously the 105D has better DAC's and is beefier for sure. The Darbee seems to be the real deal so that will be fun to play with too. The player can be setup to use one HDMI for just audio and one for video. Not sure if sonically it matters but why add the feature..... I plan to run my Directv box through it too. Have u auditioned the 103 or 105? The 103 garnered excellent reviews but I'm not sure if I trust any of the review that are online from pro reviewers.
post #292 of 351 Old 01-18-2014, 07:19 AM

Liked: 10
Hi. I just order a sherbourn PT-7030. Yep even after reading all the quirks. But i felt the benefits out weighed the quirks. Been running my home theatre thru a HK avr 354 and i have never been happy with the sound. Listen to alot of music thru PS3 for SACD and use for Blu-ray Movies. Hopefully someday I'll move up to Oppo player.

To get to the point I'll be hooking up basically just cable tv, ps3 and the kids wii to the 7030. to avoid some of the 1 to 2 sec delays what is the best option on hooking these devices up? (might hook up my old Pioneer DV 656A to it)

Any suggestion aprreciated. Beside hook up any other suggestion on the use and hookup of the 7030 is greatly apprciated.

thanks.

post #293 of 351 Old 01-18-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnusbaum View Post

To get to the point I'll be hooking up basically just cable tv, ps3 and the kids wii to the 7030. to avoid some of the 1 to 2 sec delays what is the best option on hooking these devices up? (might hook up my old Pioneer DV 656A to it)

Use PCM for input whenever possible (do the decoding on your source device); avoid "bitstream". Analog input won't have any delays either.
post #294 of 351 Old 01-18-2014, 09:47 AM

Thanks John, much appreciaterd. I'm looking forward to receiving the 7030.

post #295 of 351 Old 01-18-2014, 11:50 AM

Is your PS3 a "slim" or "fat" (older) version? I found out recently that the Slim only reads the CD layer of SACDs. Pretty annoying that Sony removed a feature.
post #296 of 351 Old 01-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Hi John it's Fat. I believe it was the second releaese. A old 60gb. and still plays the ps 1 and ps2 games.

post #297 of 351 Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

I wanted to run my PS3 and Directv into the Sherbourn HDMI in ports and then wire the HDMI out, on the Sherbourn, to the Oppo 103D via HDMI in and then from the Oppo HDMI out to my Panasonic plasma.

Will this work? I want the Oppo player to process everything with the Darby chip. There are two HDMI out's on the Oppo player. I wanted to use one for video and one for audio.
post #298 of 351 Old 01-25-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:

I wanted to run my PS3 and Directv into the Sherbourn HDMI in ports and then wire the HDMI out, on the Sherbourn, to the Oppo 103D via HDMI in and then from the Oppo HDMI out to my Panasonic plasma.

Will this work? I want the Oppo player to process everything with the Darby chip. There are two HDMI out's on the Oppo player. I wanted to use one for video and one for audio.

That should work fine. You will just not get the volume change, mute, etc., text overlays on your display from the Sherboune when using the Oppo as a source.

Those functions will work as normal when you are processing other PT-7030 inputs (such as your DirecTV receiver and PS3) through the Oppo. I intend to do the same when I get a BDP-103D in the next week or two.

Where are we going?...and why are we in a handbasket?!

post #299 of 351 Old 01-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,

Be forewarned that there are some handshaking issues with HDMI, the Sherbourn and this Oppo player. I had to change some cables around to get everything to work. Also, I tried to split the audio and video from the player to the Sherbourn which didn't initially work. The HDMI 1 out on the player can be configured for just video and then you can use the 2nd HDMI for audio. When I originally hooked it up this way I would lose video when I plugged in the 2nd HDMI to the Sherbourn. I had to download an Oppo beta firmware update that addressed this issue along with a few other little issues. Once I downloaded and installed the firmware update I was able to see video with both cables connected to the Sherbourn. In the Sherbourn setup screen, I went to the Input screen, selecting HDMI 1 for the video source. However, for Audio it's not possible to select another HDMI port. It defaults to just HDMI (not sure what that means) so I guess the Sherbourn doesn't allow the user to split the audio/video signal when using HDMI. I don't think it matters but it would have been nice to have that option. However, the player is set for A/V split and I am able to pass DSD for SACD. But then when reading the Oppo manual it was a little sketchy about whether not it's even possible to truly split the signal so I'm a little confused on what is happening. I can tell you that the 103D sounds warm, dynamic with lots of little details in the music shooting into the room. I'm very happy in that regard.

From manual: Dual HDMI Output: Allows you to select the output mode when both HDMI Output ports are in use. If only one HDMI Output is active, this selection will not apply.
x Split A/V (recommended) – Use HDMI 1 OUT as the dedicated video output port and HDMI 2 OUT as the dedicated audio output port. This setting will ensure the best possible
picture quality and the highest possible audio resolution.
post #300 of 351 Old 01-26-2014, 07:24 AM

Liked: 11
Hi fellow HT enthusiasts, I am new here but a long time HT enthusiast hoping to get your impressions of the Sherbourn 7030 pre/pro. I am on the fence and not sure wether to wait for new Emotiva pre/pro $1999 or take advantage of what looks to be a spectacular offer for a new Sherbourn on Emotivas website for $699. Your advise is greatly respected and appreciated.

Panasonic Plasma 65GT50
Oppo BDP83 Bluray
Emotiva XPA 5 200x5 amp
Pioneer Elite SC27 used as pre/pro
Vienna Acoustics Beethoven mains
Vienna Acoustics Maestro center
Vienna Acoustics Hayden rears
SVS PB2000 sub
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherbourn Pt 7030 Home Theater Pre Pro

User Tag List