Official Sherbourn PT-7030 Thread - Page 16 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #451 of 470 Old 01-23-2015, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
maxmercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,385
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Hi Max, I just noticed your post. Are you using the 7.1 unbalanced analogue inputs ?

How did you finally correct the problem ?

My crossovers are set at 80Hz and my sub is set at 100Hz which seems to be working fine. However, my BD player is connected via HDMI and in addition to that I play music by connecting an iPod via one of the analogue stereo inputs.

I don't think bass management works for the 7.1 analogue inputs but again I am not certain about it.
I just bass manage with the nanoAVR.

JSS
maxmercy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 470 Old 01-24-2015, 03:01 AM
Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post
I just bass manage with the nanoAVR.

JSS
Ok, that is interesting - I don't seem to have a problem with the bass management on the 7030. By the way can you please tell me what the nanoAVR is ? Is it PEQ for multi-channel correction ? Are you using it primarily to tame the lows ?
Sam Ash is offline  
post #453 of 470 Old 01-24-2015, 03:03 AM
Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has any 7030 user been able to solve the few seconds of audio loss problem on the 7030 ? or has Emotiva shown any sign of being helpful ?
Sam Ash is offline  
post #454 of 470 Old 01-25-2015, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
maxmercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,385
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Ok, that is interesting - I don't seem to have a problem with the bass management on the 7030. By the way can you please tell me what the nanoAVR is ? Is it PEQ for multi-channel correction ? Are you using it primarily to tame the lows ?
A proper bass-management system would have you set crossover points for every satellite, crossing each satellite to the sub with a highpass for the sattelite in question, and the signal highpasses from the sattelite in question then lowpassed to the sub, individually for every channel, with a separate crossover setting for the LFE channel lowpass.

Sherbourn PT-7030 does only 1/2 of this. If you set the Left channel crossover for 80Hz, and the SW crossover for 200Hz, the sub plays far too high. The Sherbourn cannot tell the difference between LFE signal and bass-managed signal. The way the crossovers are set up, the satellite crossovers are simply 'highpass corners' and the SW crossover is a 'lowpass corner', with no available setting for the LFE-only signal. If you have Large LCRS, and set the LCRS at 40Hz, but the SW at 80Hz, too much energy goes into the sub. If you then set the Sub to 40Hz to match the LCRS, you lose out on all the LFE content above 40Hz (LFE channel has significant content often to as high as 200Hz).

Because the nanoAVR can do bass management and do the parametric EQ that the Sherbourn cannot do with its significant limitations, and the fact that the Sherbourn cannot handle a high strength 7.1 LF signal without destroying the waveform, I use the nanoAVR to not only decrease the overall level to something it can handle, and do everything it cannot. The Sherbourn has one great thing going for it, and it is important. It has a VERY low noise floor. If you can get past the HDMI and other issues, it is the quietest processor I have encountered.

JSS
maxmercy is offline  
post #455 of 470 Old 01-26-2015, 03:06 AM
Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post
A proper bass-management system would have you set crossover points for every satellite, crossing each satellite to the sub with a highpass for the sattelite in question, and the signal highpasses from the sattelite in question then lowpassed to the sub, individually for every channel, with a separate crossover setting for the LFE channel lowpass.

Sherbourn PT-7030 does only 1/2 of this. If you set the Left channel crossover for 80Hz, and the SW crossover for 200Hz, the sub plays far too high. The Sherbourn cannot tell the difference between LFE signal and bass-managed signal. The way the crossovers are set up, the satellite crossovers are simply 'highpass corners' and the SW crossover is a 'lowpass corner', with no available setting for the LFE-only signal. If you have Large LCRS, and set the LCRS at 40Hz, but the SW at 80Hz, too much energy goes into the sub. If you then set the Sub to 40Hz to match the LCRS, you lose out on all the LFE content above 40Hz (LFE channel has significant content often to as high as 200Hz).

Because the nanoAVR can do bass management and do the parametric EQ that the Sherbourn cannot do with its significant limitations, and the fact that the Sherbourn cannot handle a high strength 7.1 LF signal without destroying the waveform, I use the nanoAVR to not only decrease the overall level to something it can handle, and do everything it cannot. The Sherbourn has one great thing going for it, and it is important. It has a VERY low noise floor. If you can get past the HDMI and other issues, it is the quietest processor I have encountered.

JSS
Thanks Max - I was not aware about this at all, although my 7030 seems to be working well. I've set all the speakers to a crossover of 80Hz and the Sub is set to 100Hz. It sounds pretty good although I feel the need for better sub integration. I'm just a little disappointed at the 7030 for not having the ability to set levels at 0.5dB steps. Furthermore, the 1 or 2 seconds of audio drop-out really gets to my nerves at times. I wish Emotiva was nicer to its clients and resolved this annoying glitch.
Sam Ash is offline  
post #456 of 470 Old 01-30-2015, 11:06 PM
Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Analogue stereo inputs

I have an iPod connected to one of the unbalanced analogue stereo input and bass management is applied to it perfectly. In the same way, I've connected connect my computer to the analogue stereo inputs but for some strange reason bass management is not applied and the sub-woofer (set to auto detect a signal) does not kick in. I've tried raising the volume but that does not help.

Any idea what it could be ?
Sam Ash is offline  
post #457 of 470 Old 01-31-2015, 02:49 AM
Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post
I just bass manage with the nanoAVR.

JSS
Max, out of interest, how have you connected the nanoAVR to the 7030 to ensure that the bass management is not happening again in the 7030 ?

Are you doing it through the unbalanced 7.1 analogue inputs ?

I have a very strange problem, I can't get bass management to kick in via an alternative analogue stereo input, my iPod seems to work perfectly.
Sam Ash is offline  
post #458 of 470 Old 02-01-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
maxmercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,385
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I go from BluRay to nanoAVR to 7030. I set all speakers to LARGE and set the Subwoofer crossover to its highest setting (200Hz). Unfortunately, I get some noise with the nanoAVR in the chain that I have been unable to explain.

This processor has a lot of potential, but it is just not a good fit for me.

JSS
maxmercy is offline  
post #459 of 470 Old 02-01-2015, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post
I go from BluRay to nanoAVR to 7030. I set all speakers to LARGE and set the Subwoofer crossover to its highest setting (200Hz). Unfortunately, I get some noise with the nanoAVR in the chain that I have been unable to explain.

This processor has a lot of potential, but it is just not a good fit for me.

JSS
Just some feedback...I'm not the biggest fan of the 7030 but I have the NanoAVR hooked same as you and don't have any noise in the chain...and I have 100db efficient JTR 212s, which are notoriously sensitive (to noise).
dgage is online now  
post #460 of 470 Old 02-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Member
 
Sam Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Max, some questions:-

1. Is a crossover in effect when using the 7.1 analogue inputs ? Any idea how I can totally switch-off the crossover completely ?

2. Any solution for the few second audio delay ?

I absolutely love this processor and its performance but this audio delay problem is very annoying. Emotiva makes great products and seem to be nice people. I just don't understand why they've left all 7030 users in hot soup. This is not nice at all, honestly.
Sam Ash is offline  
post #461 of 470 Old 02-02-2015, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Hi Max, some questions:-

1. Is a crossover in effect when using the 7.1 analogue inputs ? Any idea how I can totally switch-off the crossover completely ?

2. Any solution for the few second audio delay ?

I absolutely love this processor and its performance but this audio delay problem is very annoying. Emotiva makes great products and seem to be nice people. I just don't understand why they've left all 7030 users in hot soup. This is not nice at all, honestly.
1. I don't think there is, I just set it way down or way up and use the MiniDSP to handle crossover duties.

2. Which delay are you referring to. And quite simply they don't care about the small number of 7030 users as we can't make enough noise. But for me they did make sure I'd never own another piece of Emotiva hardware. And after reading about the XMC-1, I don't feel it even matters as that isn't as good as it should have been.
dgage is online now  
post #462 of 470 Old 02-02-2015, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
maxmercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,385
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Just some feedback...I'm not the biggest fan of the 7030 but I have the NanoAVR hooked same as you and don't have any noise in the chain...and I have 100db efficient JTR 212s, which are notoriously sensitive (to noise).
I think I must have some noise elsewhere in the chain. The nano doesn't induce noise in my other processors. The Sherbourn is dead quiet until a film actually begins playing, then a high pitched whine gets into the signal. It is definitely not there with the nano out of the chain, and is there regardless of which BDP I have feeding the nano. I cannot measure any significant noise difference out of the Sherbourn XLR out, nano or no. I may have to try different XLR cables (using el cheapo bundled XLR 'snake', 4 cables in one)...

JSS
maxmercy is offline  
post #463 of 470 Old 02-02-2015, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post
I think I must have some noise elsewhere in the chain. The nano doesn't induce noise in my other processors. The Sherbourn is dead quiet until a film actually begins playing, then a high pitched whine gets into the signal. It is definitely not there with the nano out of the chain, and is there regardless of which BDP I have feeding the nano. I cannot measure any significant noise difference out of the Sherbourn XLR out, nano or no. I may have to try different XLR cables (using el cheapo bundled XLR 'snake', 4 cables in one)...

JSS
You might try doing a full reset of the MiniDSP NanoAVR (Restore menu --> Factory Default). See if you have any noise with it in the chain before you modify any DSP settings.
dgage is online now  
post #464 of 470 Old 02-05-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
maxmercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,385
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I'll give it a try.

JSS
maxmercy is offline  
post #465 of 470 Old 02-07-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
maxmercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,385
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Not sure if it was resetting the nano or using a better xlr, but the problem is solved, no noise with the nanoAVR in the chain. Thanks!

JSS
dgage likes this.
maxmercy is offline  
post #466 of 470 Old Today, 12:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i got a pt7030, and its making some really annoying popping/squeeky sounds when playing DTS or dolby digital..
somehow it seems more frequently on dolby digital.

anyone got a clue what this might be?

its totally random, and ive tried reconnecting every wire and just moved everything so i could take power cables as far away from speaker cables etc as possible, still same result :/
Aleksander Sandhåland is online now  
post #467 of 470 Old Today, 12:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
im using xlrs between xpr5 and sherbourn btw. source is a laptop via hdmi and with projector aswell
Aleksander Sandhåland is online now  
post #468 of 470 Old Today, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dgage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 393
No clue. Mine either plays or it doesn't. I've never heard any popping like you describe...I'd suspect the laptop being the issue before the 7030. Do you have a Bluray player you can test with to see if there are any issues with it?
dgage is online now  
post #469 of 470 Unread Today, 01:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
No clue. Mine either plays or it doesn't. I've never heard any popping like you describe...I'd suspect the laptop being the issue before the 7030. Do you have a Bluray player you can test with to see if there are any issues with it?
im gonna test with a blue ray player now, if i find the freaking remote! i had the same problem with the xbox one, so i doubt it will help. but well see
Aleksander Sandhåland is online now  
post #470 of 470 Unread Today, 02:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
seems to be working with the bd player! wierd that i get the popping on the xbox tho.. the laptop is probly fubar
maybe i use wrong audio setting or something?
im pretty new to this amp tho ive had it a year, just finished my cinema so havent had the chance to test it properly.

wich audio setting/mode should i be using at 7.1?
i didnt get up dts or dolby digital when playing from bd player, only these wierd multich plix m/c and so on, wich i have no clue what means.
couldnt find anything about it in manuall either, i chose dts in menu on hdmi1, but it just puts on multich when i close menu again
Aleksander Sandhåland is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherbourn Pt 7030 Home Theater Pre Pro

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off