Official Sherbourn PT-7030 Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #481 of 494 Old 03-15-2015, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi Vabmwrider,

We had family from abroad visit us over the weekend so I did not get much time to experience the XS surround format but could hear a difference to my surround sound stage when in effect. Would be nice to learn about your experience ?

I tried the PLIIx M mode and was able to go into the settings, very interesting. What really made a significant difference is the PLIIx C mode for music. It really creates a nice balance between highs, mids and lows and I noticed that it tames the lows a bit and reduces its dominance in a subtle manner. The mids and highs now have that wonderful clarity and presence.

I did not get a chance to connect my iPod via USB but will try at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 494 Old 03-17-2015, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi Sam,

From what I can tell the XS mode is a proprietary Rotel mode designed to generate surround back channels from 5.1 content. I tend to default to Dolby modes so I haven't spent much time listening via XS but it seemed to work very similar to PLIIx-C. My previous processor was an Anthem AVM 30 which also had proprietary sound modes and I preferred their "AnthemLogic-Music" mode to process stereo music into surround over PLIIx-M.

"I wonder if it'd be louder with bigger wires"
post #483 of 494 Old 03-19-2015, 04:00 PM

Hi Vabmvrider, let me know what you think about XS once you've had a chance to try it out. I will let you have my views too. Right now I am really enjoying the sound of PLIIx-C for music. I prefer it to the M version of PLIIx. The correct manual, as recommended by you, has been a wonderful reference.
post #484 of 494 Old 03-21-2015, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have set all my speaker crossover at 80, but how about the subwoofer crossover, show I set it crossover at 80 or something different?
post #485 of 494 Old 03-22-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwong888 View Post
I have set all my speaker crossover at 80, but how about the subwoofer crossover, show I set it crossover at 80 or something different?
Yes, 80Hz crossover for speakers is correct. You need to go into the settings and make sure your speakers are set as "Small". The sub crossover should be set at 120Hz and I recommend you start there, this is pretty much an ideal crossover for this purpose. I've set mine to 100 but I would not go below that.
post #486 of 494 Old 04-01-2015, 12:42 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabmwrider View Post
Hi Sam,

From what I can tell the XS mode is a proprietary Rotel mode designed to generate surround back channels from 5.1 content. I tend to default to Dolby modes so I haven't spent much time listening via XS but it seemed to work very similar to PLIIx-C. My previous processor was an Anthem AVM 30 which also had proprietary sound modes and I preferred their "AnthemLogic-Music" mode to process stereo music into surround over PLIIx-M.
Hi Vabmwrider - Did you get to try the XS mode ? One thing that I have noticed is that I am often left tweaking my centre speaker levels and sub levels when watching movies between DVD's with Dolby Digital 5.1 and the blu ray sound formats. I think this is a problem more related to the production of the movies as unfortunately there are no proper standards. I wish the processor had the facility to save different sets of speaker levels for different formats just like it does for subwoofer levels.
post #487 of 494 Old 04-02-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Hi Vabmwrider - Did you get to try the XS mode ? One thing that I have noticed is that I am often left tweaking my centre speaker levels and sub levels when watching movies between DVD's with Dolby Digital 5.1 and the blu ray sound formats. I think this is a problem more related to the production of the movies as unfortunately there are no proper standards. I wish the processor had the facility to save different sets of speaker levels for different formats just like it does for subwoofer levels.
Sorry, the weather has been decent and I've been busy with outdoor stuff so the system hasn't been on for much other than news and a couple episodes of Justified. I'll give XS a shot the next time I throw in a disc.

post #488 of 494 Old 05-07-2015, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well...the unit is functioning well with no issues [knock on wood!]. Sonics is much better than my old Onkyo PR-SC886. I don't miss Audyssey much. Both multi-channel and stereo are great. On the latter, I have it mostly on the "Bypass" mode so as a two channel pure analog pre-amp is quite nice for both my turntable and an outboard DAC.

Since turning on the CEC feature, there has been no thumps on turn-ons and turn-offs. The audio drop off is still there on playback of DVDs and Blu-rays especially when I pause the movie but I rewind it further back so I don't miss anything.

For music, I prefer the PLIIx-M for music since it can be customized to reduce the center channel to a "phantom" speaker. Did I miss something after reading the previous posts regarding an "XS" feature on the surround modes on the unit? I am aware that Rotels have it.
post #489 of 494 Old 07-01-2015, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I want to know what is the Dynamic range setting on the 7030, it has min mid and max setting for the dobly for night time watching, but what should I set for the normal listen?
post #490 of 494 Old 08-09-2015, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Sorry, the weather has been decent and I've been busy with outdoor stuff so the system hasn't been on for much other than news and a couple episodes of Justified. I'll give XS a shot the next time I throw in a disc.
Hi vabmwrider, just wanted to touch base to see how you're doing with your PT-7030. Wanted to ask if you've experienced this. Strangely, with some 320k MP3 music tracks playing from my iPod via RCA or phono interface, the music sounds really good. I presume this may be due to the fact that the DSPs in the processor kick in when an analogue music source is selected. Do you have any idea about this ?
post #491 of 494 Old 08-09-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Hi vabmwrider, just wanted to touch base to see how you're doing with your PT-7030. Wanted to ask if you've experienced this. Strangely, with some 320k MP3 music tracks playing from my iPod via RCA or phono interface, the music sounds really good. I presume this may be due to the fact that the DSPs in the processor kick in when an analogue music source is selected. Do you have any idea about this ?
Hi Sam,

So far my 7030 has been working as expected. With home theater I tend to "set it & forget it" although tweaking my stereo gear is an ongoing process.

When you play music via analog inputs you have a choice of modes to process it. As I remember:

BYPASS = stereo, no bass management, DSP is bypassed, only lt front & rt front speakers playing full range.
STEREO = stereo + sub, lt & rt front speakers are bass managed via DSP so subwoofer is active, no surround processing utilized.
5CH STEREO, 7CH STEREO, Dolby PLII Music, DTS Neo, etc. = DSP utilized for bass management and processing stereo into surround so you'll have 5+1 or 7+1 speakers playing depending on the mode selected.

One thing I've noticed with A/V processor music processing modes is that most 5CH & 7CH STEREO modes increase audible bass. At low levels it can sound good although it can get bloated at higher volumes - but - the modes are good for spreading music around a room. Modes like Dolby PLII-M & DTS Neo generate surround channels and attempt to simulate imaging but don't generally bump the bass like 5CH or 7CH modes do.

What happens is that sometimes a DSP mode can make a compressed track sound "better" depending on personal preference. If a track is compressed and "thin" sounding it may sound better with 5 or 7CH STEREO applied but another track that's bass heavy to begin with may sound bloated. Sometimes a track just has lousy stereo imaging so applying a mode like PLII or Neo can help.

At one point I had a 5.1 surround setup in my bedroom and due to the bed not being centered in the room I always listened to music via Dolby PLII-M because it allowed me to finagle the imaging at the listening position and utilize the sub. As much as I listen to "purist" stereo music in other rooms my bedroom really needed DSP to sound decent.

How music "sounds" is very personal so if you like the effect of whatever DSP mode you're using has on your iPod tracks stick with it. Just like a rug can really tie a room together (Big Lebowski) sometimes a bit of DSP can work wonders.

post #492 of 494 Old 08-13-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Hi Sam,

So far my 7030 has been working as expected. With home theater I tend to "set it & forget it" although tweaking my stereo gear is an ongoing process.

When you play music via analog inputs you have a choice of modes to process it. As I remember:

BYPASS = stereo, no bass management, DSP is bypassed, only lt front & rt front speakers playing full range.
STEREO = stereo + sub, lt & rt front speakers are bass managed via DSP so subwoofer is active, no surround processing utilized.
5CH STEREO, 7CH STEREO, Dolby PLII Music, DTS Neo, etc. = DSP utilized for bass management and processing stereo into surround so you'll have 5+1 or 7+1 speakers playing depending on the mode selected.

One thing I've noticed with A/V processor music processing modes is that most 5CH & 7CH STEREO modes increase audible bass. At low levels it can sound good although it can get bloated at higher volumes - but - the modes are good for spreading music around a room. Modes like Dolby PLII-M & DTS Neo generate surround channels and attempt to simulate imaging but don't generally bump the bass like 5CH or 7CH modes do.

What happens is that sometimes a DSP mode can make a compressed track sound "better" depending on personal preference. If a track is compressed and "thin" sounding it may sound better with 5 or 7CH STEREO applied but another track that's bass heavy to begin with may sound bloated. Sometimes a track just has lousy stereo imaging so applying a mode like PLII or Neo can help.

At one point I had a 5.1 surround setup in my bedroom and due to the bed not being centered in the room I always listened to music via Dolby PLII-M because it allowed me to finagle the imaging at the listening position and utilize the sub. As much as I listen to "purist" stereo music in other rooms my bedroom really needed DSP to sound decent.

How music "sounds" is very personal so if you like the effect of whatever DSP mode you're using has on your iPod tracks stick with it. Just like a rug can really tie a room together (Big Lebowski) sometimes a bit of DSP can work wonders.
Hi Vabmwrider,

Nice to hear from you. After a lot of testing and hearing, I've settled for PLII-Movie for music in a 7.1 configuration. I just love the sound stage it creates but I really had to address speaker levels carefully. You're right about the lows, they can get really accentuated and begin to tarnish the upper-lows and mids so it's really important to tame the lows. I definitely prefer PLII to DTS Neo though, there is something about the way PLII processes stereo, it sounds more natural and balanced.

Have you ever had the need to go into the parametric EQ ?
post #493 of 494 Old 08-13-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Have you ever had the need to go into the parametric EQ ?
Yes, I have PEQ applied to my mains and center. Klipsch La Scala speakers have a hump in their frequency response around 140 HZ but bass below 90 HZ tends to drop off quickly. I use the PEQ as a notch filter at 140 HZ to flatten response and I also apply a minor bass boost below 90 HZ. The EQ is mostly noticeable when the mains are used in stereo modes as it makes the speakers sound less "boxy". I have aftermarket crossover networks (ALK Engineering) in the La Scalas that tames any mid-range horn harshness so I don't need PEQ for mid or treble frequencies.

post #494 of 494 Old Today, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Hey guys, I may be in the market to find one of these units soon as I want a Pre with balanced pre outs and this seems to be one of the non stupid expensive models. Of course non Atmos AVRs have all taken a serious depreciation value lol! My Denon 4520 dropped big time. Anyway I recently bought JBL 4722's and Crown DSI 1000 amps to run active. At 104db sensitive speakers I don't want to run into hmm/buzz and want to experiment with balanced as well.

So my question is without reviewing the entire thread...How have these units been for people?

For sale: 2x Seaton Submersive 2400 HP Models. Definitive Technology PM600 HTIB. PM for any interests :)
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherbourn Pt 7030 Home Theater Pre Pro