Official Sherbourn PT-7030 Thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #481 of 489 Old 03-15-2015, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi Vabmwrider,

We had family from abroad visit us over the weekend so I did not get much time to experience the XS surround format but could hear a difference to my surround sound stage when in effect. Would be nice to learn about your experience ?

I tried the PLIIx M mode and was able to go into the settings, very interesting. What really made a significant difference is the PLIIx C mode for music. It really creates a nice balance between highs, mids and lows and I noticed that it tames the lows a bit and reduces its dominance in a subtle manner. The mids and highs now have that wonderful clarity and presence.

I did not get a chance to connect my iPod via USB but will try at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 489 Old 03-17-2015, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi Sam,

From what I can tell the XS mode is a proprietary Rotel mode designed to generate surround back channels from 5.1 content. I tend to default to Dolby modes so I haven't spent much time listening via XS but it seemed to work very similar to PLIIx-C. My previous processor was an Anthem AVM 30 which also had proprietary sound modes and I preferred their "AnthemLogic-Music" mode to process stereo music into surround over PLIIx-M.

"I wonder if it'd be louder with bigger wires"
post #483 of 489 Old 03-19-2015, 04:00 PM

Hi Vabmvrider, let me know what you think about XS once you've had a chance to try it out. I will let you have my views too. Right now I am really enjoying the sound of PLIIx-C for music. I prefer it to the M version of PLIIx. The correct manual, as recommended by you, has been a wonderful reference.
post #484 of 489 Old 03-21-2015, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have set all my speaker crossover at 80, but how about the subwoofer crossover, show I set it crossover at 80 or something different?
post #485 of 489 Old 03-22-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwong888 View Post
I have set all my speaker crossover at 80, but how about the subwoofer crossover, show I set it crossover at 80 or something different?
Yes, 80Hz crossover for speakers is correct. You need to go into the settings and make sure your speakers are set as "Small". The sub crossover should be set at 120Hz and I recommend you start there, this is pretty much an ideal crossover for this purpose. I've set mine to 100 but I would not go below that.
post #486 of 489 Old 04-01-2015, 12:42 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabmwrider View Post
Hi Sam,

From what I can tell the XS mode is a proprietary Rotel mode designed to generate surround back channels from 5.1 content. I tend to default to Dolby modes so I haven't spent much time listening via XS but it seemed to work very similar to PLIIx-C. My previous processor was an Anthem AVM 30 which also had proprietary sound modes and I preferred their "AnthemLogic-Music" mode to process stereo music into surround over PLIIx-M.
Hi Vabmwrider - Did you get to try the XS mode ? One thing that I have noticed is that I am often left tweaking my centre speaker levels and sub levels when watching movies between DVD's with Dolby Digital 5.1 and the blu ray sound formats. I think this is a problem more related to the production of the movies as unfortunately there are no proper standards. I wish the processor had the facility to save different sets of speaker levels for different formats just like it does for subwoofer levels.
post #487 of 489 Old 04-02-2015, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ash View Post
Hi Vabmwrider - Did you get to try the XS mode ? One thing that I have noticed is that I am often left tweaking my centre speaker levels and sub levels when watching movies between DVD's with Dolby Digital 5.1 and the blu ray sound formats. I think this is a problem more related to the production of the movies as unfortunately there are no proper standards. I wish the processor had the facility to save different sets of speaker levels for different formats just like it does for subwoofer levels.
Sorry, the weather has been decent and I've been busy with outdoor stuff so the system hasn't been on for much other than news and a couple episodes of Justified. I'll give XS a shot the next time I throw in a disc.

"I wonder if it'd be louder with bigger wires"
post #488 of 489 Old 05-07-2015, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well...the unit is functioning well with no issues [knock on wood!]. Sonics is much better than my old Onkyo PR-SC886. I don't miss Audyssey much. Both multi-channel and stereo are great. On the latter, I have it mostly on the "Bypass" mode so as a two channel pure analog pre-amp is quite nice for both my turntable and an outboard DAC.

Since turning on the CEC feature, there has been no thumps on turn-ons and turn-offs. The audio drop off is still there on playback of DVDs and Blu-rays especially when I pause the movie but I rewind it further back so I don't miss anything.

For music, I prefer the PLIIx-M for music since it can be customized to reduce the center channel to a "phantom" speaker. Did I miss something after reading the previous posts regarding an "XS" feature on the surround modes on the unit? I am aware that Rotels have it.
post #489 of 489 Old 07-01-2015, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I want to know what is the Dynamic range setting on the 7030, it has min mid and max setting for the dobly for night time watching, but what should I set for the normal listen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherbourn Pt 7030 Home Theater Pre Pro

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page