Official Sherbourn PT-7030 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #91 of 417 Old 10-15-2013, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How difficult is it to learn the parametric EQ features of the 7030? This seems like a perfect match for the PA 7-350 (I know they were designed/intended to be used together) but the main issue I foresee is no Audyssey XT32 or auto-EQ features.

I'm an engineer and pick things up pretty quickly, but I have no experience with measuring and calibrating a HT setup other than Audyssey on my Onkyo 616.

What other equipment would be needed (a good value-priced mic?) to fully utilize the parametric EQ features of the 7030?

Video - Panasonic VT50 55" | Panasonic BDT320
AVR - Denon X4000 | Sherbourn PA 7-350
Speakers - JTR Noesis 228HT | DIY Sound Group Volt V10 | JTR Captivator S2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 417 Old 10-15-2013, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I had thought about 7030 as I have the 40% upgrade card. But the more I read about the 7030 I decided it wasn't for me. Just the most recent posts with the audio delay issue indicates that the 7030 has issues. I would assume Emotiva will not be doing any FW updates as the 7030 has been discontinued. But I hope I'm wrong so those with the audio delay issues will get their 7030's upgraded.

Bill

Well, i honestly think that's the only problem and given how it sounds, that it can power a whole house of zones, and that you might be able to sell the upgrade card (or use it down the road)...you might want to call them and see if they have a re-certified unit for an even better deal. It's built like a tank.

and while i don't have a computer or digital device hooked up to it to try it; i believe that delay is only when switching from media encoded to a different spec than the current track playing. so if you have iTunes or Dune server with everything captured to one kind of encode; it shouldn't be a problem. I haven't noticed it when watching football with the different encoded ads coming in...Guys please jump in here if i'm wrong; i'm mostly a film guy:)
post #93 of 417 Old 10-16-2013, 12:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPMurphy View Post

Well, i honestly think that's the only problem and given how it sounds, that it can power a whole house of zones, and that you might be able to sell the upgrade card (or use it down the road)...you might want to call them and see if they have a re-certified unit for an even better deal. It's built like a tank.

and while i don't have a computer or digital device hooked up to it to try it; i believe that delay is only when switching from media encoded to a different spec than the current track playing. so if you have iTunes or Dune server with everything captured to one kind of encode; it shouldn't be a problem. I haven't noticed it when watching football with the different encoded ads coming in...Guys please jump in here if i'm wrong; i'm mostly a film guy:)

At the current price and the 40% upgrade card I'd buy the 7030 to try in my system. But with the possibility of audio delay in my system and with the sales of the 7030 being final I'll pass.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #94 of 417 Old 10-16-2013, 10:26 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

At the current price and the 40% upgrade card I'd buy the 7030 to try in my system. But with the possibility of audio delay in my system and with the sales of the 7030 being final I'll pass.

Bill

I know the pt7030 is end of line Bill but would check on the firmware aspect on the off chance the ''new '' revamped pt7030 in the emo pro line may have the same firmware and consequent upgrades - if keen ?

Like Dpmurphy said I havent noticed the delay because anything I watch stays on the 1 codec be it dd5.1 or 2.0lpcm or dtshdma etc ; ymmv of course . Our tv channels aren't in the habit of switching codecs for adds thankfully . If they were Ide probably want dolby volume in the 7030 smile.gif
post #95 of 417 Old 10-16-2013, 10:34 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr25 View Post

How difficult is it to learn the parametric EQ features of the 7030? This seems like a perfect match for the PA 7-350 (I know they were designed/intended to be used together) but the main issue I foresee is no Audyssey XT32 or auto-EQ features.

I'm an engineer and pick things up pretty quickly, but I have no experience with measuring and calibrating a HT setup other than Audyssey on my Onkyo 616.

What other equipment would be needed (a good value-priced mic?) to fully utilize the parametric EQ features of the 7030?

The place to research is hometheatershack emr25 and the calibrated umik mike is popular . Could be free wink.gif

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/spl-meters-mics-calibration-sound-cards/70116-mindsp-umik-1-mic-month-giveaway.html
post #96 of 417 Old 10-16-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

I know the pt7030 is end of line Bill but would check on the firmware aspect on the off chance the ''new '' revamped pt7030 in the emo pro line may have the same firmware and consequent upgrades - if keen ?

Like Dpmurphy said I havent noticed the delay because anything I watch stays on the 1 codec be it dd5.1 or 2.0lpcm or dtshdma etc ; ymmv of course . Our tv channels aren't in the habit of switching codecs for adds thankfully . If they were Ide probably want dolby volume in the 7030 smile.gif

cwt,

I strongly doubt any future Emotiva revamped prepros will have much in common with the 7030. So I believe there will be no FW updates for the 7030 now or in the future. I'm not trying to be negative just being realistic. Emotiva doesn't have a strong history for offering FW updates for discontinued prepros.

The Time Warner cable channels in my area frequently go from digital to analog so the audio delay would be an issue. I had Boston Acoustics AVP (Sherwood P-965 clone) about five years ago and the audio delay of 2-3 seconds at times was brutal. So I'm not going to risk spending $899 on a prepro that has an issue that most if not all $300 AVRs do not have.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #97 of 417 Old 10-16-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:

cwt,

I strongly doubt any future Emotiva revamped prepros will have much in common with the 7030.

Bill
Quote:
Dan Laufman said on Aug 5, 2013 at 6:53pm:
"The PT-7030 will also continue as an Emotiva Pro model."

He also said that there will be improvements made. Hopefully firmware will make the list.
post #98 of 417 Old 10-17-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repeet View Post

He also said that there will be improvements made. Hopefully firmware will make the list.

But when will that happen? No offense to Emotiva but there have been many model and model improvement (UMC-1 3D upgrade) announcements over the years that have never happened. So one could buy the 7030 hoping for a FW update to fix specific issues that will never happen.

Bill
xcapri79 likes this.

post #99 of 417 Old 10-26-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Andrew Robinson did say in the last 24 hours on the emotiva boards that a firmware update is coming out for the pt-7030 that will fix some of the bugs. But it won't address the lack of transparent video overlay. He also couldn't addres a timeframe.

With the recent uptick in strange bug complaints and reviews like this, I keep shying away, though I remain poised on the trigger, to buy one to compare against my Onkyo TX-NR1007.

The most recent complaints by two users in the emotiva forums about channels switching (l and r, or rotating 90*) until a reboot are about the worst.

http://www.homecinemaguru.com/disappointing-sherbourn-pt-7030-home-theaer-preamp-processor/

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #100 of 417 Old 10-26-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Thanks. If they didn't release a firmware update to fix the issues, I doubt I would ever purchase an Emotiva product again.
post #101 of 417 Old 10-26-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Andrew Robinson did say in the last 24 hours on the emotiva boards that a firmware update is coming out for the pt-7030 that will fix some of the bugs. But it won't address the lack of transparent video overlay. He also couldn't addres a timeframe.

With the recent uptick in strange bug complaints and reviews like this, I keep shying away, though I remain poised on the trigger, to buy one to compare against my Onkyo TX-NR1007.

The most recent complaints by two users in the emotiva forums about channels switching (l and r, or rotating 90*) until a reboot are about the worst.

http://www.homecinemaguru.com/disappointing-sherbourn-pt-7030-home-theaer-preamp-processor/

No offense to Emotiva but I wouldn't buy the 7030 till the FW update was out and fully tested by actual 7030 owners. If one buys the 7030 expecting a FW update and the FW is delayed and has issues then you are out of luck. I know the 7030 is priced right but without an option to return the 7030 if it has issues in your system you are out of luck. There was a similar scenario when the UMC-1 was be replaced by the UMC-200. The UMC-1 was priced right without a return option with the 40% upgrade card. Well the market was flooded with used UMC-1s which drove the value down quite low. There was promises of FW updates (that I believe eventually happened) and a 3D video update (which never happened). So to be honest I see the same thing happening with the 7030. I hope Emotiva proves me wrong. But I'd never buy any discontinued product that has issues with promises of FW update to fix those issues.

Bill
xcapri79 likes this.

post #102 of 417 Old 10-26-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I agree wholeheartedly...unfortunately I bought before I heard about any of these issues and had been watching it for months. As I understand it is a sibling to a Marantz or other big name unit with the addition of balanced (not truly) outputs so I thought it would be good to go. Oh well, worse case I'll give it to my dad and never buy Emotiva again. Best case, I'll finally get it hooked up and it'll be great for my needs...and maybe even get a firmware update. One can only hope.
BossHoggSocal likes this.
post #103 of 417 Old 10-26-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post

I agree wholeheartedly...unfortunately I bought before I heard about any of these issues and had been watching it for months. As I understand it is a sibling to a Marantz or other big name unit with the addition of balanced (not truly) outputs so I thought it would be good to go. Oh well, worse case I'll give it to my dad and never buy Emotiva again. Best case, I'll finally get it hooked up and it'll be great for my needs...and maybe even get a firmware update. One can only hope.

As far as I know the 7030 is not "related" to anything from Marantz or Denon (both from D&M Holdings).

Bill

post #104 of 417 Old 10-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

As far as I know the 7030 is not "related" to anything from Marantz or Denon (both from D&M Holdings).

Bill

Bill,

My guess he is referring the Rotel RSP-1572 model not Marantz.
post #105 of 417 Old 10-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No offense to Emotiva but I wouldn't buy the 7030 till the FW update was out and fully tested by actual 7030 owners. If one buys the 7030 expecting a FW update and the FW is delayed and has issues then you are out of luck. I know the 7030 is priced right but without an option to return the 7030 if it has issues in your system you are out of luck. There was a similar scenario when the UMC-1 was be replaced by the UMC-200. The UMC-1 was priced right without a return option with the 40% upgrade card. Well the market was flooded with used UMC-1s which drove the value down quite low. There was promises of FW updates (that I believe eventually happened) and a 3D video update (which never happened). So to be honest I see the same thing happening with the 7030. I hope Emotiva proves me wrong. But I'd never buy any discontinued product that has issues with promises of FW update to fix those issues.

Bill

I hope you are wrong. But my suspicion is you are correct. mad.gif

to be honest I have had a good audio experience with the 7030. It is a very nice upgrade over my Onkyo TX-NR818. I'm not a fan of Audyssey. If I don't like XT32 I won't like any of them! So I didn't miss that at all. The complaints I have to do with the embarrassingly bad user interface. I had a pretty big rant about it over on the Emotiva lounge. I'm sure it was received well. wink.gif

I'll post it here just for the hell of it.
post #106 of 417 Old 10-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

And here it is......

I'm frustrated about is the GUI of the 7030 vs. the 7020. The Interface of the 7030 looks like it is straight out of the nineties. The UMC-1, UMC-200 Sherbourn 7020 all have a nice modern looking interface that overlays whatever video/audio is playing. The 7030's interface does not overlay. When you press the set up button the audio and video stop and a screen that looks like DOS programming comes up and you make your adjustments. The UMC-1 and Sherbourn 7020 have been out for A LOT longer than the 7030, so I'm not sure why Emotiva would take a large step backwards on the 7030's interface.

The overlay situation is very frustrating when you are trying to do basic things like adjusting the SPL levels of individual channels using a bluray disk for example. The quick speaker level adjustments that you can interact with without going into the set up don't even save back to the processor when adjust during playback. Not to mention your can't adjust the P-EQ levels while actually listening to content because of the same no overlay no quick save issue. The EQ on the 7020 is very easy to adjust and you get a new graphical output so you can see what you are actually adjusting. The P-EQ display is still a large step backwards to past products in Emotiva's/Sherbourn's line up.

I do understand that this product is on clearance but we are still talking about a 2 thousand dollar processor here. Even if the regular price was the clearance price of $899 I would expect the interface to be far better than what has been implemented. Think of the UMC-200 here for price comparison.

What are the chances that we can get an interface that is at least comparable with a 7020 that was released 3.5 years ago?

I'm not asking to have for Emotiva to re-invent the wheel. I'm am asking Emotiva to do some minor modifications to the existing interface of the 7020 so it will work with the 7030.

At this point I feel that the 7030 is the step child of the the lineup in regards to the GUI. I was told when I bought this product that the firmware would be updated and supported by Emotiva. I would love it if they lived up to their word.
post #107 of 417 Old 10-26-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Solid View Post

Bill,

My guess he is referring the Rotel RSP-1572 model not Marantz.

Joel,

Thanks for that information. I now recall mention of Rotel over at the Lounge.

Quote:

I hope you are wrong. But my suspicion is you are correct. mad.gif

to be honest I have had a good audio experience with the 7030. It is a very nice upgrade over my Onkyo TX-NR818. I'm not a fan of Audyssey. If I don't like XT32 I won't like any of them! So I didn't miss that at all. The complaints I have to do with the embarrassingly bad user interface. I had a pretty big rant about it over on the Emotiva lounge. I'm sure it was received well. wink.gif

I'll post it here just for the hell of it.

I was very close to ordering the 7030. But after reading about some of the 7030's issues I decided to pass. If there was a 15 day return period I would have gladly ordered one to try in my system. I have been wanting to try a processor with a PEQ such as the one the 7030 has. But I'll wait to see what is released in the future. The XMC-1 is still an option but I'll wait till it has been out for awhile and all the bugs (if any) are corrected. I've been a "beta" tester for Emotiva on several components as I bought them when they were first released.

I did see your posts over at the Lounge. Sometimes posts like that are not well received over there wink.gif. Especially some of the posts from a specific Emotiva employee who has a rather "abrasive" personalty. This person should not be in the PR end of a business such as Emotiva IMO.

Bill

post #108 of 417 Old 10-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

\

I did see your posts over at the Lounge. Sometimes posts like that are not well received over there wink.gif. Especially some of the posts from a specific Emotiva employee who has a rather "abrasive" personalty. This person should not be in the PR end of a business such as Emotiva IMO.

Bill

I don't specifically you are speaking about by name but I believe I have spoken to him in the past. He was very short with me and barely tolerated my questions. Luckily he referred me to another guy that was a lot more pleasant.

I'm still crossing my fingers.

Joel
post #109 of 417 Old 10-26-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't specifically you are speaking about by name but I believe I have spoken to him in the past. He was very short with me and barely tolerated my questions. Luckily he referred me to another guy that was a lot more pleasant.

I'm still crossing my fingers.

Joel

I was referring to an Emotiva employee who posts on the Lounge.

Bill

post #110 of 417 Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Oh ok. I get it. You are referring to Keith. I haven't gotten much in the way of useful info from Keith. Just tells me to keep it in perspective. So basically squash it. I actually really don't want to.

So I'll continue to bring it up.
post #111 of 417 Old 10-27-2013, 03:24 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

/

Not to worry Archaea ; everyday is a day closer to none left eek.gif That was a interesting review ; spot on about the parametric ranges especially the q range coarseness though with 10 center frequencies the overlapping in the midrange frequencies is pretty pronounced .
Quote:
The only two modes available to matrix rear channels are Dolby PLIIx and DTS Neo6. These two modes are shown as music only which would also be a mistake, but they appeared to actually be movie versions of these processing modes which is a better option. It would be nice to have the movie and music modes of these along with Dolby EX processing.

Don't know what to make of this ; mine has switchable pl2x music and movie modes ;the music mode has configurable panorama ;dimension ;game etc and I use this when dialogue is more important . Maybe relied on the manual which is not the best for sure wink.gif Dolby EX is available too .

In fact there's a dsp mode thats a mystery to me when a 5.1dd signal is sent reads dd+xs ; obviously for the back surrounds but could be ces7.1 or harmon kardons logic7 though I suspect not the later being a cirrus logic chipset .. The connection between Andrews firmware upgrade announcements and the rebadging of the 7030 as an emotiva I see as a good sign ;though Ime a glass 1/2 full type so who knows smile.gif
audiguy likes this.
post #112 of 417 Old 11-14-2013, 08:08 AM

Liked: 10
Im thinking about replacing my Integra dhc 80.2 with the PT 7030, The more i read the more scarred i get. So when the audio delays is it for 1-2 seconds or longer? I mainly watch and listen to Blu-Ray dvd and Directv satelite the most. Are there any issues with video (Screen going blank ect....)? Is there anyone else experiencing problems with the pt 7030? Is it just a bad batch or the whole bunch ? Any comments would be appreciated.
post #113 of 417 Old 11-14-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

post #114 of 417 Old 11-22-2013, 03:48 PM

DK, audio drop is only for 1 or 2 seconds, like you i use the system mainly for Blu-Ray and Direct TV, i do not notice the drop out with those two sources. Video is not effected. David
post #115 of 417 Old 11-26-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 394
From the sounds of the issues here, I assume it's not worth "upgrading" from a Denon 4311 or Onkyo 818 to the PT-7030? My 4311 has it's quirks (HDMI handshakes, etc) which I wouldn't want to trade in for anything more serious. wink.gif
post #116 of 417 Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

From the sounds of the issues here, I assume it's not worth "upgrading" from a Denon 4311 or Onkyo 818 to the PT-7030? My 4311 has it's quirks (HDMI handshakes, etc) which I wouldn't want to trade in for anything more serious. wink.gif

Gorilla,

I have the 4311 and very rarely do I have any HDMI handshake issues. Just about any HDMI capable processor will have HDMI issues as it is an issue related directly to the HDMI connection. I was going to order the 7030 but the issue of audio delay is something that should not be an issue in a current model processor. The other issue and it is a huge one is that there is a no return policy with the 7030. So if you buy the 7030 and it has operational issues in your system you are stuck with it. Another issue is that with the close out sale on the 7030 at a very good price the market could become flooded with people trying to sell their 7030s in the near future. This could drive down the value of the 7030 to much less than the current sale price. I'd strongly recommend that you stay with the 4311 which I feel is a much better processor than the 7030.

Bill
Gorilla83 likes this.

post #117 of 417 Old 11-26-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

Gorilla,

I have the 4311 and very rarely do I have any HDMI handshake issues. Just about any HDMI capable processor will have HDMI issues as it is an issue related directly to the HDMI connection. I was going to order the 7030 but the issue of audio delay is something that should not be an issue in a current model processor. The other issue and it is a huge one is that there is a no return policy with the 7030. So if you buy the 7030 and it has operational issues in your system you are stuck with it. Another issue is that with the close out sale on the 7030 at a very good price the market could become flooded with people trying to sell their 7030s in the near future. This could drive down the value of the 7030 to much less than the current sale price. I'd strongly recommend that you stay with the 4311 which I feel is a much better processor than the 7030.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Thank you very much for your input. In reality the 4311 has all the features I need/want at the moment and I'm pleased with it's sound quality. I really only have handshake issues when actively switching from one source and back to my Oppo-93 where I have to turn off/on again for it to display picture/sound again. frown.gif 99% of the time I don't hit that situation. I figured with the sale price it might be worth experimenting but you raise very valid points. I think I'll stick with what I have for now. cool.gif
post #118 of 417 Old 11-26-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 313
But if, and this is a big if, one intends to purchase Emo's upcoming processor, then the 40% card pretty much ensures little loss would occur regardless.

I only mention that because I keep coming back to that as a justification to give the Sherbourn a try. biggrin.gif

But I've yet to pull the trigger...
post #119 of 417 Old 11-27-2013, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Pm stormwind13 to learn about the good and the bad of his 7020. He has an onkyo 805 to compare the 7020 to. For my part I've finally hopped off the fence sitting position and decided to let this one pass. Its a good price but the discussion of bugs on the emotiva forums and the experiences of a few friends seem to point me towards a more mainstream preamp or avr. Emotiva will hopefully keep releasing updates to firmware, but until they do the product appears to be buggy from what I've read.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #120 of 417 Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 AM

Liked: 10
Archaea, What other pre/pros are you considering ?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sherbourn Pt 7030 Home Theater Pre Pro

User Tag List
maxmercy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page