Very confused....need processor advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, this is what I have been looking for. First off, i need to explain my set up.
I currently have an arcam avr300 with a computer (htpc) setup with HD/blu ray movies and flac audio files in the system. Im also running a pioneer elite blu ray player that i dont use, but would still would keep in the setup. Im running everything for now into a older but still very good mit rear projection tv.
What i am looking for is tout my new arcam p7 with a new processor setup so I can enjoy 2 channel and home theater in one component. I was told i should get a rotel 1570b for my flac files because it has the usb/computer digital hookup and a integra or anthem mrx500-700 for my ht, but I want to run everything through the amp and not use the amps from either a receiver/processor or the rotel. I have a programmer to set everything up on one remote, then use the mouse on the computer once i engage the computer.

My question is, do I need both the rotel and processor for HT use or is there a processor that I can buy that will do all of these things? I was told that a lot of processors don't have the usb digital setup for my computer flac files.
Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Why must it be USB? How is your HTPC sound currently connected to your AVR? Most have digital outputs at the least. I don't think you need any more gear at all, but maybe I'm missing something.

post #3 of 18 Old 06-11-2013, 03:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 179
mazspeed

Try asking your question in the Marantz 8801 thread.

I think there are some that use it as you describe but I'm not sure as I don't use mine that way.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4 of 18 Old 06-11-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks. I like the Marantz but was set on other options if possible. I have had a Marantz as well, and was hoping to upgrade the sound a bit.
The system sounds ok, not fantastic like it should. I know that the square port usb connection is the one i need to play back vinyl rips on my computer the way it should sound. I was told this is the best port to use. This is what i would have to use for 2 channel, and than for HT i would switch back to the processor/amp setup. If that all makes sense.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post

Hey guys thanks. I like the Marantz but was set on other options if possible. I have had a Marantz as well, and was hoping to upgrade the sound a bit.
The system sounds ok, not fantastic like it should. I know that the square port usb connection is the one i need to play back vinyl rips on my computer the way it should sound. I was told this is the best port to use. This is what i would have to use for 2 channel, and than for HT i would switch back to the processor/amp setup. If that all makes sense.

Marantz 8801 , go over to the thread and get some setup answers and it has SQ in spades wink.gif
post #6 of 18 Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hey audiofan. Thanks, will take a look, but not looking for a marantz. Fine equipment, but looking for a processor that specializes in music.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-12-2013, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Would this work for what i am looking for instead of the rotel to run the flac files from my computer to my amp? http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Sound/USB-Audio/USB-7-Channel-Audio-Adapter-with-SPDIF~ICUSBAUDIO7D
Can the anthem 500-700 play the flac files through this from my computer to this devise hookup? I am terrible at explaining this stuff. Hopefully someonemuch smarter than myself can figure out what i am saying.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

post #9 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Something like this would work with digital outs right? http://shop.emotiva.com/products/xda2
Anything like that out there?
post #10 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for all the posts, but a friend said this might work. http://www.colamco.com/store/stat/product/1262963.html?source=froogle&gclid=CJvN2NvK4LcCFW1yQgodJHoAKA
Thoughts? Thanks again.
Mike
post #11 of 18 Old 06-15-2013, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

post #12 of 18 Old 06-15-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

My question is, do I need both the rotel and processor for HT use or is there a processor that I can buy that will do all of these things? I was told that a lot of processors don't have the usb digital setup for my computer flac files.
Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Mike

No. Buy a media player like a Sonos Connect and hook it up digital to whatever preamp you get. If you are looking to hook the computer up directly to the preamp then hook it up with an optical connection and use software that preserves the sound quality depending on the operating system.

B.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-16-2013, 03:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Brian, thanks for the response. Isn't the optical connection not as good as the square usb setup? I was told that. Should be using that connection for the flac files to play in 2 channel from my computer files? Again i have no clue, but your input will help.

Thanks
Mike
post #14 of 18 Old 06-16-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

Hey Brian, thanks for the response. Isn't the optical connection not as good as the square usb setup? I was told that. Should be using that connection for the flac files to play in 2 channel from my computer files? Again i have no clue, but your input will help.

Thanks
Mike

No, most believe the optical is better, but should be at least as good.

B.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-17-2013, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

So could use the anthem mrx 500-700 for this cofiguration with running flac files in the best way possible? I do this now with my arcam avr 300 and the flac files dont sound as good as it should. I am running them on jriver media software. Do you need any other ibfo on my setup?
post #16 of 18 Old 06-17-2013, 01:42 PM

Check out the Oppo BDP-105. It's an incredible device with world class DACs. It also does processing, two channel analog, and you can plug your computer right into it and take advantage of the asynchronus USB DAC. Very high quality at a very reasonable price.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

I was just going to ask about the oppo 105. I saw one today at a magnolia store. It was awesome. But the only issue is and i can over look it. I could use this instead of a processor and plug it strait to the amp and computer, but it doesnt have a way to use a custom remote to do the switching. I have a mx780 remote and the way i have it done now is that the arcam avr300 does all the 1 touch remote switching for me. I was told the oppo cant do this, and that it would be a step by step and 2 remote style system. Is this accurate. I was told the oppo is a world class video and sound processor dacs. I did listen to a cd on a oppo95 with an arcam avr600 with b&w speakers and it sounded incredible. Im not sure its going to do much with my mit 65 inch rear projection tv with dvi and 1080i viewing. Can i still get a receiver/processor and run audio and video passthough to get the eas of switching? Sounds like a big purchase for just the switching aspect, but i was willing to do that if need be. What do you guys think? Thanks again for everyones input, it all helps so much.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 AM

I use a Logitech Harmony 700 universal remote with my Oppo and the rest of the components in my system and have had no switching issues.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page