Need help finding a receiver... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-11-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We are finishing the basement and in the theater room I have the Pioneer 1222 receiver up and running everything in there. I have a separate room that will be for the kids to play video games and a pool table It will have a 50" tv along with a 5 speaker surround sound setup with wall and in ceiling speakers I picked up from Monoprice. No sub or anything. That room is right at the walkout end of our basement and I went ahead and threw up some outside speakers before I closed the wall up. I need to find the most affordable receiver that can run the surround sound setup in the entertainment room along with the ability to run the zone 2 for the outside speakers. I prefer a Pioneer model to tie it into what I already have. I'm a little confused though on the 5.1 vs 7.1 ability of the receivers. For example, if I chose a 5.1 receiver with the ability to run a second zone, does that mean it will only run 5 speakers at one time? Like in my setup I have the front and two sides on the tv wall then a set of in ceiling speakers over where the pool table will be. If we were partying down there and I wanted to run the outside speakers would the receiver just cut off the two speakers over the pool table area and run the outside speakers? Does this make any sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I just wanted to bump this up since it got buried... Anyone have any suggestions? Mostly I'm just curious if I can get away with a 5.1 receiver and run the second zone (outside speakers) while running the center and two sides inside or does it have to be a 7.1 capable receiver? Thanks!!!
post #3 of 3 Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I'm not sure there are zone 2 capable speakers that are not 7.1 which do not also require an external amplifier (preamp out only). Since I am partial to Denon, I would suggest looking at the AVR-1913 or higher models. Check the Denon xx13 thread, specifically the first two entries, for information. These are last year models and can be found on sale periodically at Paul's TV and elsewhere. Refurbished from accessories4less for $299.

One thing to be aware of, any source content you are expecting to route to zone 2 must come from an analog input. For example, if you plan on hooking up a CD player outside, the digital connection won't play in zone 2, but the analog will. Sorry if this is known, sometimes its the small factoids that trip people up.

Good luck!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page