Hoping to tap the collective wisdom here. Receiver lost its sub output. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I've always been impressed with the knowledge present here. Maybe someone will know what's up with my vanished bass.

Receive is an Onkyo 607. Sub is an Ed a2-300.

One day I hear clicking from the sub, as if the auto-on feature is tripping repeatedly. It remains on and output doesn't appear compromised. The next day I hear it again and realize there is no bass. I took the sub apart and tested the woofer with a 9v. Fine. Put it all back together and it worked again. I put in a concert blu-ray and it was fine for hours.

It was dead again the next day. I tested the sub with another receiver and it seemed to be fine. It also works if I plug an iPod directly into it with a Y cable. So the problem must be with the Onkyo. Any suggestions on what I can do? I also noticed that the Onkyo no longer displays a visual settings menu on the TV, if that might indicate anything.

Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Bump
post #3 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoraster View Post

Bump

Usual answer:

Remove receiver from system. Reset the receiver. Attach and configure a minimal configuration that includes a subwoofer. Test.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Hi. Thank you for that.

It succeeded in restoring the OSD. I went into the level screen and highlighted the sub. Not a sound. It eventually made some clicking and began a faint rumble. Clicked again and went dead. I'm guessing it's the sub amp. Don't suppose that can be reset? mad.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If your sub consistently works with the ipod, then the amp is fine. are you running a y cable from the receiver as well? maybe one of your input jacks is screwy, so try both. does the amp indicate that it is sensing a signal from the receiver when you run test tone...does it come out of standby (led turns green)?

I once had an onkyo 602 that lost its sub output. took it to repair shop and they said it was fine. i made them hook it up to prove it to me...the guy hooks it up to a tv's audio inputs, cranks the volume and i can barely hear the test tone. but i took it home regardless, and it worked again in my system. i had done all the proper troubleshooting, so i know the sub output had quit working. configure it properly, then give your volume knob a quick triwl to see if it comes back.

some subs will really crank when you don't insert the rca jack completely (they pick up lots of 60Hz noise before the shield/ground makes contact). You can try forcing the sub amp on (set your gain to about 1/4), then plug the rca cable in slowly to see if you get sound. just a tip you can try to test the amp.

bg
post #6 of 6 Old 06-13-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
one more thing...is the amp on your sub the flat one with no heatsink fins? if so, i believe it's a yung-branded amp. those seem to be prone to developing problems with their turn-on circuitry. but make sure you do the other troubleshooting steps before you blame the amp.

bg
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page