Onkyo Experts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i posted this in the official owners thread to no avail so taking another route.

Had a TXNR717 had to take it back due to hdmi issues. Got a Denon 2113CI took it back as i honestly hated it. Sound had no depth to it and had issues with it constantly dropping media server and not play my files.

So here are my 2 options. I am either going to get another 717 or the new 626.

626 is smaller and lighter then the 717, missing THX select (if that really means anything), and is 15watts less power. But i gain multiEQ instead of 2EQ on the 717.
The 717 is going for $550 and the 626 for $500.

When i had the 717 i loved the sound it put out. Will the 626 be able to match it? Other then the listed difference off the top of my head is the 717 still going to be a better receiver then the 626 in terms of sound quality or they both going to be around the same? Also does anyone know if the 626 has the light ring around the volume knob?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 46
how about the 818?
post #3 of 11 Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Too much. I wanted to stay around 5-550.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
If I had HMDI issues on an Onkyo like you did, I don't think I'd buy another Onkyo. Plenty of threads about HDMI failures with Onkyo receivers.

look at the Pioneer SC-1222. sometimes they put it on sale for $499
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117412

Afro GT
post #5 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Plenty of Onkyo AVR owners with no issues too, so you never hear from them! biggrin.gif

If the choice is 626 -v- 717, I'd go for... the 626. Reason: 2EQ does SFA for your sub(s) - no sub filters at all. IMO, what MultEQ will deliver with respect to your sub(s) performance in general use is greater than what 15WPC and THX will give you with the 717.

Or... can you hang out for a while and hunt down a discounted 727?
post #6 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 01:38 AM

I have had nothing but problems with Onkyo and HDMI, for me they seem to last around 6 moths then die....and they dont die quietly. The latest one was last week, everything was fine then the reciever shut off for 1 second and came back on.....and no picture, reset it at all as I sometimes have to do to get it to do the "HDMI Startup"....only it would never engage that.....well damn, boards out again but hopefully its like the first time it went out and its just the reciever, not like the last time that fried the HDMI on my PS3 and motorolo cable box.....plug my X1 and PS3 in my recently puchased Panasonic ST60 plasma.....and nada.......all the HDMI ins on the ST 60 fried as well as the out of the comcast X1 box..........its in for repair yet again but I aint using it anymore, gonna try and get a little for it on CL and be done with it, think I'm going Yamaha just not sure which one yet.

My Onkyo recievers were an HT RC 360, HDMI crapped out twice, second killing components, it was replaced with an HTRC 460 and 7 months later more f the same.....Service is spotty, sometimes you get someone who really wants to help, more than a few times I've dealt with reps that I would call outright abusive, yelling at me, blaming me and calling me a liar and scammer, even had one tell me to simply not use the HDMI and I should invest in a dedicated HDMI switch and that the HDMI ins should only really be used to view the OSD when setting things up...........all in all due to Onkyo I'm out a couple hundred bucks in shipping, had to replace a Ps3, months of downtime from repairs to multiple components....they are great for sound only....if you need HDMI I say stay far far away.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have had TOTL Onkyos... The TX-NR905 and the TX-NR906... Both HDMI boards crapped out. My friend has the TX-NR5007 and it died as well.. no more Onkyo for us...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #8 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well I may have to take that risk,
I dont like the denon (on the high end of bright side) and hate GUI and the remote app is complete garbage.
I heard some $500-600 pioneer receivers at local BB and did not like it
Only one have not heard yet is Yamaha but no place in town has them where i can listen to them.

Out of all the receivers i have heard and had in home the 717 was hands down the best sounding and to me felt like it was the best built.
After some revies i heard that the 626 has stepped down in sound a bit in sound quality.

So unless someone can give me some other good options, looks like i will be ordering the 717 here in the next few days.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 PM

I just ordered a Yamaha 673,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JF85WE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for me its not just about the likelyhood of it failing (which is very high) its the fact that its failures in my case not only burn out the HDMI of its self but also of anything that was connected and powered up......hell mine only has a 2 year warranty and its on its third repair...and its taken out 2 cable boxes, a PS3 and fried all the ports on my 60" Panasonic ST60.........I cant reccomend onkyo with HDMI period, not even sure if I can sell the 460 after its repaired.....may just try and "give" it to someone I dont like.

The last event I actually wittnessed, everything was fine then the reciever shut off then popped back on, just like someone hitting the power button snap sanap....after it came bck on no picture or sound....never again got the "HDMI statup" message when powered on and plugging my components straight in the TV didnt work, I still dont have HDMI on my plasma set.....

In terms of price, features, and audio qulaity I've loved Onkyo for quite some time, however I never used the video parts of the recievers till now and Onkyo and HDMI just dont mix IME and I'm far from alone, for me its 3 failures in 18 months, 2 of the units were brand new and as stated, 2 of the failures took out active components as well....I'd look elesewhere.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastgtp View Post

Only one have not heard yet is Yamaha but no place in town has them where i can listen to them.
Where do you live where there are no Yammy resellers? Do you not have a Fry's Electronics?

I returned a Onkyo TX-NR616 because of fears of HDMI failure, and because the Audyssey didn't work for my surrounds.

If you thought that Denon was bright, you will really hate Yamaha. Yamaha receivers are notoriously "detailed". (I think they're bright and harsh.) I own a Yammy A720.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-14-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Where do you live where there are no Yammy resellers? Do you not have a Fry's Electronics?

I returned a Onkyo TX-NR616 because of fears of HDMI failure, and because the Audyssey didn't work for my surrounds.

If you thought that Denon was bright, you will really hate Yamaha. Yamaha receivers are notoriously "detailed". (I think they're bright and harsh.) I own a Yammy A720.

Only real CES store we have is BB out side of that there is walmart and sams that is it.
BB has the yamahas but they are just display models that dont work.

But it sounds i will not like yamaha if it has a bright sound. I guess that is what i liked about the Onkyo it was a bit warmer which i think that is why at least the denon sounded like it was lacking depth to it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page