What AVR would do this? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For a secondary room (not the theater) I want to add a receiver that will allow me to play music in two different locations (living room and patio).

I do not anticipate running anything more than just two bookshelf speakers in the main room and two outdoor speakers in the secondary room. But, I would like the ability to play Airplay and Spotify in both locations. Plus, I'd like to be able to control the receiver from an IOS app.

Does this mean that I'm pretty much stuck on going with a 7.1 AVR (like a Denon 1913)? I suppose too it depends on if I want the secondary audio to be independent from the main room?

I think a Denon 1913 accomplishes everything I need but it might be overkill for my 2-channel needs. Anything else I should consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Liked: 26
Does tht denon allow airplay to secondary zones? I know alot of receivers don't. I thought that was the big break thru with their 4520 is it allowed AirPlay to secondary zones independent of the main zone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #3 of 8 Old 06-14-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I'm pretty sure it does allow any of the internal network features to be played in Zone 2. But if that's wrong, that's a huge factor obviously.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-14-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaomizzle View Post

Does tht denon allow airplay to secondary zones? I know alot of receivers don't. I thought that was the big break thru with their 4520 is it allowed AirPlay to secondary zones independent of the main zone

I know the Denon 1913 allows Airplay in Zone 2 independent of the main zone.

From the Denon xx13 Owners Thread....
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq
Quote:
See the descriptions below for the full details on specific feature differences between various models, but here is a summary of the important changes to the xx13 model lineup:

* All models now have a front-panel HDMI input
* All models have GUI that can overlay on HDMI video signals
--- Basic GUI on 1513, 1613, 1713
--- Advanced GUI on 1913 and higher models

--- GUI can ONLY be shown on HDMI output (all models)
* All models have front USB (except 1513)
* Networking now available in ALL models (except 1513) including support for Airplay, Pandora, smartphone control, etc.
--- All Zone 2 models allow fully independent streaming of network audio to Zone 2
--- Previous limitation of AirPlay "hijacking" main zone has been resolved, AirPlay can go to Zone 2 independently (although note that there is an initial "hijack" when AirPlay is initiated; after the AirPlay stream is going you can switch Main Zone to a different source)

--- Spotify coming this summer as firmware upgrade to 1913 and higher models
--- New Denon Remote App Ver 3.0 with XX13 model unique features (click here to see Denon App review with pics)

Afro GT
post #5 of 8 Old 06-14-2013, 04:20 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaomizzle View Post

Denon AVRs (all networking models with Airplay) have always allowed Airplay and any other network audio to play to Zone 2.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 8 Old 06-14-2013, 04:24 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Correct, it does depend on whether you want independent source audio/volume control to each zone which if you do, would require an AVR with either Zone 2 speaker posts or pre-outs. Note that although the 1613 and 1713 do not include on board Spotify, in order to use Spotify on the 1913 and higher models, a Spotify Premium ($9.99/month) account is required which includes Spotify mobile app support so you can use the app to stream to either the 1613 or 1713. Although the 1713 is only 5.1, it does have Zone 2 pre-outs if you want to add a separate 2CH amp, where as the 1613 is only 5.1 but could play the same source to both zones using Multi CH Stereo mode.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_M

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 8 Old 06-15-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
I just went through this exercise, I upgraded to a Denon AVR from Onkyo TX-8050 for bass management in a 2 zone, 2 channel only system (see the mixed audio gear in my sig). The 1713 doesn't quite cut it, no Spotify. Pasted from a post in the xx13 thread:

Sorry Batpig, lets see if I have this straight.
The 1713 has zone 2 preouts, but no Spotify.
The 1913 has Spotify, but no zone 2 preouts.
The 2113CI is the only one that has both.

Extending this for what I subsequently learned, the 2113 has fixed (line level) volume out zone 2 when used as a preamp. The 2313CI has it all, so it's the one I own. Great choice, and my system with sub sounds worlds better now that my sub is properly integrated.

post #8 of 8 Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 114
Sorry, forgot to answer the original question specifically. Yes the 1913 will do what you need, provided you don't anticipate requiring an external amp for your second zone. Denon's amps are sufficient for most purposes.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page