AVS Forum banner
1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mychaelp 
#1 ·
What is the best receiver for 5.1, 7.1, 9.2, etc. on the market today in various price ranges for each? I.E.

Best 5.1

-under $400

-Under $1000

Best 7.1

-Under $500

-Under $1000

-Under $2000

Best 9.2

-Under $1000

-Under $2000

-Under $5000

Best 11.2

-What you can afford in dream.

I encourage full debate as far as features, power ratings, inputs/outputs, number of zones etc.

See less See more
#2 ·
IMO there are VERY FEW receivers for under $1000 that have a power supply and amplifiers adequate to properly drive 7 channels of REAL speakers.

Actually, the ONLY one that I know of is the Denon 3312, which I have seen for as low as $850. If you want the VERY best, the Cambridge 651R and 751R are without equal in sound quality and REAL power to drive REAL (low-impedance) speakers.

Everyone rates their stuff to drive 8-ohm speakers, because that is what the 50-year-old FTC regulations require, ignoring the fact that TRUE 8-ohm speakers are almost non-existent anymore. The REAL question is...what receiver can drive 5 or 7 4-ohm speakers well?

The LOWEST IMPEDANCE of a speaker at ANY FREQUENCY is what really counts, and it is hard to find a speaker that isn't under 5 ohms at some frequencies. That is the REAL LOAD the amplifier has to deal with.

Almost every speaker that is labelled "8 ohms" by the manufacturer is NOT really 8 ohms. Those ratings are worthless nonsense.

To find out the real impedance of a speaker, you need to ferret out the GRAPH of impedance vs frequency for the audio band.

The idea that you can get something with the kind of power supply and amplifiers to properly drive 5 or 7 channels for under $700 is ridiculous; a decent stand-alone 2-channel amplifier costs over $1000.

It is like asking which car you can buy for $10,000 that can win the Indianapolis 500.

Personally, I think the very idea of more than 7 channels is extreme stupidity. Where is the program material that HAS more than 7 channels?

If the source program materials do not exist, then what is the point? Duhhhhh.

#3 ·
I bought a decent 2 channel standalone amp for less than $300.

There are a whole lot of people very happy with their FAKE speakers and inferior receivers, how does this happen?

Speaker impedance rating is a simple process. Unfortunately for us, until a certain someone educates himself I'm afraid we'll be forced to see this rant on a regular basis.

To the OP, "best" doesn't exist. Brand loyalty, features, price, power matching, aesthetics and 50 more characteristics make up what's "best" for any given situation. You've asked a question that has no answer.

#6 ·
It'd be interesting to come up with such list, but the hard truth is that receivers have some many variables other than how many speakers it can power that there is no real "best" or "ideal" receiver at each of those price points. Because the main investment is the speaker set, it is almost impossible, what is true for me is not true for you.

For ex. there can be a "best" $400 receiver that has all the features you want. But that "best" can't drive my speakers. And the "best" $400 receiver that can drive my speakers, doesn't have all such features.

A better question, is for "defined" set of features/power needed, which is the best receiver your money can buy. Depending of what your defined feature/power selection is, you'll get a few good recommendations and price points.

#7 ·
Before ranking the tentative AVRs...

Why don't you list in descending priority the desired top 10 features for each category, also be sure to include any expectations for audio, video and connectivity specs/features...

Confirm back and we will post some recommendations...

Just my $0.02... 👍😉

#8 ·
You can get something pretty good for under $400. A few of which are compared http://thecreativealternative.com/best-home-theater-receiver-guide/ But many times the noise level is compromised. BUT if you happen to have a big family with lots of noise around anyway, does it really matter? For watching movies, most of it is pretty noisy with a lot going on. I suggest trying to find a little shop locally that has some quiet listening rooms, and audition the receivers you're interested in. Otherwise if buying online, be sure there is a generous return policy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.