Onkyo warranty process...really?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Got me an Onkyo TX-NR616 back in December. Didn't seem to have the HDMI problems that plagued early adopters. Have been using Roomie to control it via ethernet for months. Out of the blue it stopped responding to commands over the network. The Onkyo iOS app stopped working, and its built-in webserver quit responding. (I can, however, still ping the device.)

Updated the firmware. No help. An hour with Onkyo on the phone messing with it didn't help. Soft reset, hard reset, confirm network settings, and so on. One of the symptoms was an endless "Now Initializing" loop. Onkyo decided it was time to pursue the warranty service option.

There's no service center in my state. So I'm supposed to send my AVR to Adam's Electronics in Huntington Beach CA to have it repaired under warranty. Dude said if I'm lucky it'll take three weeks. eek.gif

I'm sorta stunned and pretty unhappy. I can't think of an option I like. Buying an AVR at Best Buy and returning it in 30 days seems like I'm taking advantage of BB's great customer service to compensate for Onkyo's poor policy. I certainly can't be without an AVR for three weeks, and there's also the possibility that "Adam" won't find a problem and will want to send my 616 back to me without repair.

Is it unheard-of for AVR manufacturers to provide a more convenient warranty process outside the return window? Like ship me a replacement in advance? As it is I'm wanting to abandon Onkyo forever but I can't be sure Denon or Pioneer or Yamaha would be any better.

Penny for your thoughts please. What would you do?

EDIT: Bought at Amazon with American Express. Amex doesn't have any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 413
I haven't heard of any mfrs sending a replacement AVR while the defective one is in the shop for repair, but maybe some vendors do that if you're lucky.

Harman Kardon about 10 years ago would swap out a defective one with a replacement on occasion. I had a AVR 320 with a known problem in the surround back channels and they sent me a replacement AVR 325 instead of fixing the old one. That was great customer service and took less than a week. Still have the AVR 325.

Afro GT
Old 06-17-2013, 06:17 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat View Post

Got me an Onkyo TX-NR616 back in December. Didn't seem to have the HDMI problems that plagued early adopters. Have been using Roomie to control it via ethernet for months. Out of the blue it stopped responding to commands over the network. The Onkyo iOS app stopped working, and its built-in webserver quit responding. (I can, however, still ping the device.)

Updated the firmware. No help. An hour with Onkyo on the phone messing with it didn't help. Soft reset, hard reset, confirm network settings, and so on. One of the symptoms was an endless "Now Initializing" loop. Onkyo decided it was time to pursue the warranty service option.

There's no service center in my state. So I'm supposed to send my AVR to Adam's Electronics in Huntington Beach CA to have it repaired under warranty. Dude said if I'm lucky it'll take three weeks. eek.gif

I'm sorta stunned and pretty unhappy. I can't think of an option I like. Buying an AVR at Best Buy and returning it in 30 days seems like I'm taking advantage of BB's great customer service to compensate for Onkyo's poor policy. I certainly can't be without an AVR for three weeks, and there's also the possibility that "Adam" won't find a problem and will want to send my 616 back to me without repair.

Is it unheard-of for AVR manufacturers to provide a more convenient warranty process outside the return window? Like ship me a replacement in advance? As it is I'm wanting to abandon Onkyo forever but I can't be sure Denon or Pioneer or Yamaha would be any better.

Penny for your thoughts please. What would you do?

EDIT: Bought at Amazon with American Express. Amex doesn't have any suggestions.

With few exceptions (Epson being one), most of these electronics companies are pretty crappy about service. Your experience seems typical. Changing to Denon or Yamaha won't change anything, if you will need service. The exception might be if you bought from a local retailer that services the brand you choose... but even then, they are not forced to do any better and usually don't.

I'd say buy a new AVR you're happy with and put this one for sale when it gets back, if you really want to switch.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoek View Post

With few exceptions (Epson being one), most of these electronics companies are pretty crappy about service. Your experience seems typical. Changing to Denon or Yamaha won't change anything, if you will need service. The exception might be if you bought from a local retailer that services the brand you choose... but even then, they are not forced to do any better and usually don't.

I'd say buy a new AVR you're happy with and put this one for sale when it gets back, if you really want to switch.
Seems the only option. I'm on my way to Fry's to grab a Denon E400 for $300 biggrin.gif
Old 06-17-2013, 08:25 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Denon will sometimes offer a refurbished model in exchange if the original takes more than 30 days to repair (if a refurb unit is available) and their policy is that you pay for shipping to the repair facility (if none nearby) while Denon pays the return shipping. More often than not, small local repair shops are inundated with repairs so a 3 week turn around is actually not that bad. Where purchasing with an American Express card will help is that it will add an extra year to the E400 2 year warranty making it 3 years. Also be sure to review posts #3-6 in the "2013 Denon AVR-E/X Models" thread linked in my sig to see what additional helpful information is available and post in that thread should you have any setup questions.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 06-17-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I haven't heard of any mfrs sending a replacement AVR while the defective one is in the shop for repair, but maybe some vendors do that if you're lucky.

Harman Kardon about 10 years ago would swap out a defective one with a replacement on occasion. I had a AVR 320 with a known problem in the surround back channels and they sent me a replacement AVR 325 instead of fixing the old one. That was great customer service and took less than a week. Still have the AVR 325.

I've had a similar experience with Harman Kardon ..twice!!
Unfortunately it sees today's AVRs are a disposable commodity.
If out of warranty it will usually cost as much to repair as to purchase
A new unit. If under warranty you will have to wait...3 weeks could very
Well be optimistic at best...unfortunately.

My suggestion is to get another AVR. I wouldn't feel right about taking advantage
Of Best Buy return policy. Keep the new AVR...when your unit gets repaired
Set up a system in your bedroom for example.

When I upgraded from marantz to anthem, the marantz went into the bedroom.
The old HK is ready to roll...in a closet,if I need it.