Looking for an RCA crossover - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-18-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking for a two way RCA input/output crossover. It would be nice to have the xover be adjustable, but if not it should be around 80hz (or a little lower). I was looking at the Rolls SX45 and that looks like it would do the trick, but I read a couple reviews on amazon and apparently the build quality sucks and the high pass and low pass outputs are in opposite phase of each other. I really only need the high pass part of it (which will be used on my Paradigm Shift a2 powered speakers) because I'll be able to use the LPF on the sub (which I don't have yet). But I was thinking that it might be a good idea to run both the speakers and the sub through the xover just to make sure the phases are correct. If the sub I chose had a crossover built-in that would be ideal, but I'm not seeing many that have that. I was looking at the KRK10s ($399) which has pass-through, but the 12" version (for $799) has a crossover. I was looking to spend around $100 (or a little more if it really makes a difference) on a crossover. I've seen quite a few that use XLR ins and outs, but not many that use RCA. I hope I made it clear enough about what I'm looking for, and I hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction with a few suggestions!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-19-2013, 05:17 PM

Liked: 10
Ever heard of Mini DSP?

I use all internal crossovers in my receiver and sub but you may find this useful:

http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out

Check out their offerings on their site if it's what you're looking for. It's configurable via software interface

- - CA 751BD - - CA 650R - - Emotiva XPA-5 - - Velodyne DD18 - - Dali Concept 8's, Center, 1's - - Klark Teknik DN360 GEQs - - Van Den Hul, Kordz & Emotiva interconnects - - LG 60" FHD Plasma - -
post #3 of 5 Old 06-19-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilsy View Post

Ever heard of Mini DSP?

I use all internal crossovers in my receiver and sub but you may find this useful:

http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out

Check out their offerings on their site if it's what you're looking for. It's configurable via software interface

Wow. That's pretty cool! I like how it's so programmable and includes EQ, ect. Looks like the boxed version is $125 and then another $10 for the software plug in. Kinda steep on the price, but I might be able to manage since it looks like a good product with lots of flexibility. Thanks for the info! Have you heard anything bad or good on the KRK10s before? It's a 10" 150w RMS monitor sub that looks like it would be good for what I'll be using my set up for. Thanks!
post #4 of 5 Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

After much research and reading of reviews and watching videos, I finally checked out the online manual for the KRK10s and low and behold, when connecting speakers to the sub's outputs, it actually does put a HPF on them! This makes things soooo much easier for me. No where on KRK's website (other than in the downloadable PDF manual) does it say that the sub actually places a HPF on the outputs. I'll call them tomorrow to verify and post back here. This saves me so much money and is another reason to go with the KRK sub. It has a lot of features for $400! Not to mention plenty of bass output for a small studio room (I heard it at a Guitar Center).
post #5 of 5 Old 06-21-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

According to KRK, the KRK10s does indeed have outputs which are high passed at the frequency set for the low pass filter for the sub.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page