Looking for a receiver on a budget. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm just getting into vinyl, so im setting up a turntable. Im planning on getting the Audio Technica AT-LP120 along with Polk tsi100 speakers. I want to get a receiver for less than $200 (i may go over if necessary) with a "phono in" and a line out for a sub (which im planning to add later on). I know this turntable has its own pre-amp, but i may want to upgrade turntable in a few years, so i dont want to have to buy another receiver or even a separate pre-amp. The goal is to save money in the long run when i want to upgrade (im pretty frugal). Its tough finding a receiver with these specifications, so if anyone could help that would be fantastic. Also, what is you opinion about my potential setup? I'm open to suggestions on the turntable or speakers (particularly the speakers, I'm kind of set on the turntable).

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-19-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilgen View Post

I'm just getting into vinyl, so im setting up a turntable.

Unless you aready have a vinyl collection or intend to start digitizing vinyl that is not already available on digital, you're probably making a big mistake.
Quote:
Im planning on getting the Audio Technica AT-LP120 along with Polk tsi100 speakers. I want to get a receiver for less than $200 (i may go over if necessary) with a "phono in" and a line out for a sub (which im planning to add later on).

The built in phono in is probably mission impossible, while the subwoofer out is hard to avoid.

Just get an outboard phono amp, such as those sold here:

http://www.kabusa.com/index_pp.htm

http://www.phonopreamps.com/index.html

Quote:
I know this turntable has its own pre-amp, but i may want to upgrade turntable in a few years, so i dont want to have to buy another receiver or even a separate pre-amp.

Rotsa ruck.

AVRs with built-in phono preamps are like hens teeth and are automatically premium-priced objects.

Quote:
The goal is to save money in the long run when i want to upgrade (im pretty frugal).

If you want to save money, forget vinyl. Here's some friendly advice - vinyl is not the promised land that some delusional people say it is. Of course what do I know? I only ran vinyl for about 30 years (and still have a pretty decent phono rig gathering dust in a store room). My excuse is that for at 20 of those years the LP was indeed the high quality choice.
Quote:
Its tough finding a receiver with these specifications,

I congratulate you on your command of the obvious. ;-)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page