Denon 2311ci Optical Out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently received this receiver from someone who was upgrading but they no longer had the manual so I'm sort of clueless about a number of things.

I noticed the box has an optical out but I can't figure out how to actually get a signal out of it. I was hoping to take all sources into the receiver and then send the digital ones (like a ps3 via HDMI) out through the optical. That said every time I connect the chain nothing seems to flow through the optical out (and the manual I've googled doesn't really seem to mention anything about this? http://usa.denon.com/documentmaster/us/avr-2311ci-om-e_001.pdf) Is there some setting I'm missing or am I misunderstanding how this works?

More importantly I'm only doing this because I've traditionally used really cheap receivers and I've run my hifi audio through an external DAC. I don't really know how to compare - short of AB testing - but is it possible this receiver's DAC is actually better than my Schiit Bifrost? If so I could skip this chain all together as what I was hoping to accomplish with the DAC will be done by the receiver.

Thanks and sorry for not really understanding all of this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Only the optical/coax digital inputs will pass audio to the optical output.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 10 Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ha. Well that would explain it. Thanks for that.

Do you (or anyone) know about the quality of the DAC in this receiver? I would love to move my - ?somewhat modest? - external DAC from the equation but I just have no idea how to judge these things without constantly swapping cables.

Thanks
post #4 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 04:44 AM
585-645-1006

Did the AVR come with the DM-A409 Audyssey mic? If not you can purchase one on eBay for about $25. Try doing the Audyssey setup as you would have to use the AVR's DAC for this. You can download the manual from Denon's website in order to follow how to run the setup routine.

http://usa.denon.com/us/downloads/pages/instructionmanual.aspx

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #5 of 10 Old 06-25-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

It did not sadly but I am going to pick one up on ebay as that sounds fairly interesting and my apartment is sort of terrible for sound.

I've got my audio running through optical now and I'm wondering if it's possible to pass it through to my external DAC. Seemingly by using the optical in port I can pass through the optical out one... but I can't find that setting and it doesn't just seem to be natively doing that. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your patience
post #6 of 10 Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Apologies. One more question (thanks so much for taking the time to help.) I've sort of pivoted from my original thing and I'm now attempting to connect a PS3. I can force the audio to play through the optical connection and separately I can force the video through HDMI.

While they both work independently I cannot set up an input to show both the video from HDMI and the audio over OPT. I can't believe that that's not supported... am I doing something wrong?
post #7 of 10 Old 06-26-2013, 04:38 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by apconavs View Post

It did not sadly but I am going to pick one up on ebay as that sounds fairly interesting and my apartment is sort of terrible for sound.

I've got my audio running through optical now and I'm wondering if it's possible to pass it through to my external DAC. Seemingly by using the optical in port I can pass through the optical out one... but I can't find that setting and it doesn't just seem to be natively doing that. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your patience

Try connecting to the OPT2(DVR) IN and you should get audio via the OPT2(DVR) OUT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apconavs View Post

Apologies. One more question (thanks so much for taking the time to help.) I've sort of pivoted from my original thing and I'm now attempting to connect a PS3. I can force the audio to play through the optical connection and separately I can force the video through HDMI.

While they both work independently I cannot set up an input to show both the video from HDMI and the audio over OPT. I can't believe that that's not supported... am I doing something wrong?

With both the HDMI and optical inputs "assigned" to the same source name (eg. BD), set the "INPUT MODE" setting (p. 50 OM) to "Digital".

post #8 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for this. That solved it (and I'm totally embarrassed I missed it.)

Still not able to get the optical out working, however. Is there some kind of setting I'm missing? For the time being I'm going directly into another DAC just to test. Also is it possible to get the audio from optical in 1 to come out of the optical out port?

Thanks so much for the help on this
post #9 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

AH. Just figured out that I need to turn on zone 2 to get that optical out working. Fantastic. Is there anyway to get the audio coming through optical in 1 to flow through? None of the other options seemed to trigger that.... but it feels strange that that wouldn't be possible.

Thanks again
post #10 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 01:32 AM
585-645-1006

Zone 2 should not have to be powered on as the OPT OUT is a main zone output. The writing on the back plate indicates that only the OPT2 (IN) can go to the OPT2(OUT) although other owners have noted that both input (as well as the coax inputs) work (not necessarily with this particular model).

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2311ci Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page