Emotiva XPR-2 VS. XPA-5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to decide between these amps. I have an Onkyo tx-nr818 that is pushing polk rtia9's,csia6, fxia6. also have the mains bi-amped. obviously I am seriously under powering this setup. with the xpr-2 I could drive the mains with 600W each and the onkyo should adequately drive the center and rears. at $1600 is it that much of an improvement over getting the xpa-5 and just bi-amping the fronts to reach 400 watts, and using the remaining channel to drive the center? at that point I could use the $800 I saved from not getting the xpr-2 and use it to get my 2nd PSA XV15. a 3rd possibility is getting the xpa-3 and that could give 200W to each of the mains and the center. is it just headroom that I am gaining from each step up in the emotive line or is there a major difference in overall sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by buxfan View Post

I am trying to decide between these amps. I have an Onkyo tx-nr818 that is pushing polk rtia9's,csia6, fxia6. also have the mains bi-amped. obviously I am seriously under powering this setup. with the xpr-2 I could drive the mains with 600W each and the onkyo should adequately drive the center and rears. at $1600 is it that much of an improvement over getting the xpa-5 and just bi-amping the fronts to reach 400 watts, and using the remaining channel to drive the center? at that point I could use the $800 I saved from not getting the xpr-2 and use it to get my 2nd PSA XV15. a 3rd possibility is getting the xpa-3 and that could give 200W to each of the mains and the center. is it just headroom that I am gaining from each step up in the emotive line or is there a major difference in overall sound?

Bi-amping with the XPA or any other amp will not double the wattage to a speaker.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mudcat, thanks I am still learning as I go. I thought that is what bi-amping is for?
post #4 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

never mind, I found an article that explains bi-amping. it in fact does not double the wattage. so that clarifies my needed purchase to be the xpr-2 then I should be done with power for good. next month I can get the 2nd V15
post #5 of 5 Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buxfan View Post

never mind, I found an article that explains bi-amping. it in fact does not double the wattage. so that clarifies my needed purchase to be the xpr-2 then I should be done with power for good. next month I can get the 2nd V15

You will need 2 xpa 2's bc you are (and will want to if aren't) bi-amping the rtia9's. if you went with less power the xpa-5 you could use 4 channels to biamp the 2 front Rita 9's but you will still need 2 more channels to biamp the csia6. If you used the last 5th channel from (xpa-5) on the csia6 you would not be bi amping it as it also has 2 pairs of 5 way binding posts. You need 6 channels in all to biamp the 3 front speakers you have.
With the 500 watt handling capability of the rtia9's you really need reference quality power for the headroom you seek. That would mean XPR line for the main rtia9's. emotiva has like ~300 off the XPR-5 currently. I think it is at $1699 for month of July. That's what I would do instead of 2nd sub.
Also, I don't think your surrounds are going to keep up only powered by the receiver. You could also do a xpa-5 and xpa-3. That would give you complete 5 speaker amp power including bi amping front 3 rtia9 & csia 6.

I am amping my surrounds and letting my avr power my front presence high speakers. I also run a separate center off my avr when not running surround sound (using amp) for a 3.1 setup for watching tv. When I do power my amp up I unplug the speaker wires out of my 2nd center. This also allows the wife to use it without touching all my equipment. It is just easier that way for me. I am running 2 subs too so its not that I'm not for it. I personally think giving the 9's more clean power is more imp and will make your system overall that much better. Unless you have perfect placement for that 2nd sub and are a bass junkie. biggrin.gif
A XPR 5 will make you 9's sing like you could only imagine. You will be smiling ear to ear every time you rotate the dial or should I say push the volume button.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page