Trouble with HDMI control on Yamaha RX-V375 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying to set up my new Yamaha RX-V375 ( RX-V375_om_UCRABGLFH_En.pdf 3315k .pdf file ) with my Panasonic TC-P50S60 (manual) plasma. At the moment, I have very few things connected to my receiver but I'm having trouble getting the HDMI control to cooperate between the two. I have a Nintendo Wii going into AV5 (composite) and a computer into HDMI 1. Signal flow through the 375 is shown on page 75. Since this is the case, I have my HDMI out from the receiver going to HDMI 2 on the TV. I also have AV out from the receiver to component in on the TV (it converts composite signal automatically).

There was a brief moment where I had it working so that if I used HDMI 1 on my receiver, my TV would automatically switch to the signal. If I wanted to use my Wii on AV5, the TV would switch to the component. Audio and picture were working great and I was mostly happy except that I couldn't seem to get Audio Return working correctly if I wanted to use the apps on the TV. In the process of trying to get it working, the other settings were messed up and I haven't been able to get it working again. Currently, the TV doesn't respond to any input switching on the receiver at all. If I switch to AV5 on my receiver, I have to manually select the input on the TV and it will switch the receiver to AV4. I've completely disabled the feature on both units for the time being so that I can at least manually select inputs on both devices.

I've studied the manuals on both units but I'm not understanding how to get things properly set up. I don't understand HDMI control very well and it seems as though there are other factors in play when it comes to getting these two to play well together that aren't documented in either manual (possibly the order the units are powered on or similar issues). Does anyone have any pointers about how to get the HDMI control working properly?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RX-V375_om_UCRABGLFH_En.pdf (3.24 MB, 37 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Best thing I've found is to disable HDMI-CEC altogether as it doesn't allow my tv and avr (Samsung & Onkyo) to do what I want even with a Harmony remote using macros. Each brand has their own little spin on HDMI CEC control, apparently to encourage you to buy all your components from the same brand....I'm guessing this is the marketing department hard at work. Only thing I really give up is ARC which was of limited benefit compared to hooking up an optical out from the tv to the avr. YMMV.

post #3 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Do you know if anything like power on order makes a difference? I could see it changing which device is slave and which is master but I don't know enough about HDMI control to know if it is a factor. I'm not ready to give up on it since I did have it working the way I would expect, even if only for the briefest of moments.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

That might be a solution but can be a bit of a pain to setup, even on a Harmony. I had mine set then changed remote models between rooms and said screw it...it just wasn't worth the bother for ARC, especially with the limited sound format options via ARC and the annoying display of volume adjustments on screen.

post #5 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I've found ARC to be too problematic with my A720 and ST60. It's easier for me to use an optical connection if I need sound from tv.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 244
It is very likely that your tv only has ARC on hdmi1

Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express
post #7 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

No, it is actually only on HDMI 2 on the TV according to page 134 of the manual.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I apologize for the bluntness, but HDMI CEC sucks. I've never seen it not introduce problems, if it works at all.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #9 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the bluntness. From what I'm gathering here, it sounds like it is an every man for himself deal.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Also the problem is that there is no way to correct such issues. Basically all you can do is make sure each component has the latest available software release. If everything is up to date and anything HDMI related doesn't work and you've ruled out cabling, there is nothing left to troubleshoot. It simply doesn't work.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #11 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingsfan19 View Post

I appreciate the bluntness. From what I'm gathering here, it sounds like it is an every brand for themselves deal.

Fixed it for ya...

post #12 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

^ Very true, although I'm skeptical HDMI CEC would work perfectly even with only 1 brand involved. And who buys everything from one manufacturer anyways? Typically these companies have at least 1 terrible product category somewhere in their portfolio.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V375 5 1 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V375 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page