Receiver Recommendation Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm really new to receivers and would love some of your communities great recommendations. I'm looking for a 2.1 or 5.1 receiver with digital inputs to power some bookshelf speakers. For every hour I watch a movie I probably listen to 5 hours of music via Pandora or Spotify. I also would like to connect my ps3 as well. I would like to try to avoid connecting via hdmi to try to avoid handshaking issues. I want to spend around $200 and used is fine. Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
What are you connecting other than the PS3?

post #3 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

My pc, tv, and android smartphone, maybe an ipod in the future. For the smartphone I am plenty happy with using a 3.5 mm connection so wireless options are not important for the receiver. I was planning on the ps3 and pc being hooked up through optical so 2 optical hookups would be prefferred. I like the idea of using a 5.1 for the growth oppurtunities in the future to have surround would would still be very happy with only a 2.1 if a good one presented itself. Something similiar to the Onkyo Tx-8255 would be great if it had the optical and sub input and the Tx-8555 seems perfect but I cant really find a good one available. The tx-8050 seems to get mixed reviews but also seemed like a decent choice
post #4 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
The receivers you mention are fine (I owned the Onkyo TX-8050 for a year) but are only 2 channel receivers - you will not be expanding to 5.1 or have any bass management should you add a subwoofer in the future. $200 is going to be tough, but for $300 you can get a refurbished Denon AVR-1913 which just happens to be a networked receiver with both Pandora and Spotify on board. You can use an android or iPhone app to control remotely and never have to touch the receiver. This would be my recommendation.

post #5 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm fine with a 2.1 but if there is a comparable 5.1 in the same price range I just like having the option to add speakers later. I mainly want good sound quality and decent lows from a sub for my music and movies with a remote control. The wireless I dont really care about as I use my android phone mostly for streaming the radio. The pioneer Vsx 522 is another I was considering but also gets pretty mixed reviews
post #6 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

That's what I'm saying. The receivers you list are 2.0, not 2.1. Even so, integrating a subwoofer into an AVR is much easier than doing so with a 2 channel only receiver.

What is your plan to get music from your android phone to the receiver? I didn't think I would care about any of the networking capabilities either, until I tried them. It opens up whole new creative possibilities into the world of laziness wink.gif

post #7 of 12 Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

I understand the tx-8255 is 2.0. I was just saying I would like something similiar but the others are 2.1 or 5.1 i believe. And I was planning to connect the phone via a 3.5mm cable or by a bluetooth receiver adapter.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Would anyone recommend the Onkyo TX-NR509? It looks like it has everything I'd want and more.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxashd View Post

I'm fine with a 2.1 but if there is a comparable 5.1 in the same price range I just like having the option to add speakers later.

Generally 5.1 AVRs cost less than comparable 2.0 receivers.
Quote:
I mainly want good sound quality and decent lows from a sub for my music and movies with a remote control. The wireless I dont really care about as I use my android phone mostly for streaming the radio. The pioneer Vsx 522 is another I was considering but also gets pretty mixed reviews

5.1 AVRs always have bass management, while 2.0 AVRs are usually at least a little weak in this area if not totally deficient.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I know that the temptation to "keep it simple" is there but, as someone who formerly had a 2-channel system and upgraded to a home theater receiver, I say keep an open mind. While people do report HDMI handshake problems, most of the time your devices (PS3, HTPC if you have one, whatever is next) will work just fine and you never have to change the input on your TV. Also in theory you can get better music sound quality if you connect your ipod digitally and let the receiver do the decoding.

Plus as others have pointed out, newer networked receivers have Pandora and Spotify built-in.

Finally as Arny K points out, 5.1s cost less than 2-channels these days (due to sales volume) so it's worth considering.

What price would you be paying for that Onkyo?

post #11 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxashd View Post

I mainly want good sound quality ...

Steer away from bluetooth. Quality of streaming audio isn't the greatest anyway, using bluetooth as a transport will give you the absolute worst quality possible.

post #12 of 12 Old 06-26-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

The Onkyo TX-NR509 is on ebay new for $234 shipped and used on amazon for $170 shipped. And the availibilty and price of the 5.1's over the 2 channels was the main reason I was asking. Also connecting the Ipod through usb looks like an excellent feature
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page