Marantz SR7007 replacing SR7001...amp recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the market for a new AVR, since my Marantz SR7001 has been refusing to turn on sporadically...I get a power fault and it goes into protect mode. Typically, it would come back on in minutes or hours. Most recently though it wouldn't turn back on for a week.

I have a strange 5.1 surround system. My R/C/L speakers each consist of a pair of parallel-wired vintage Klipsch. L and R are both parallel Chorus/Chorus-II and the C is a parallel set of Forte-II. So each "speaker" is a 4 ohm load as seen by the amp. The rear speakers are single Klipsch Quartets (so 8 ohm each). I have an Adcom GFA-5503 powering the L/C/R while the rears run directly into the SR7001. Note: I do not think my AVR shutoff problem is due to the parallel loads. The Adcom has more than enough power to drive them and the shutoff *almost* always happens upon startup. Occasionally it fails after having been on for a while though, but that is less common. (I understand the parallel combo is not common, but it really fills the room...literally and figuratively.)

I'm strongly considering a new Marantz SR7007, but I'm wondering what to do with the amp. I'll probably start with the Adcom and power all five channels. However, I read at least one SR7007 review where the amp was determined to be "incompatible" with the AVR (don't recall the brand of the amp). The review stated that there was a lot of hissing passed to the speakers and Marantz tech support said the amp was likely not compatible with the AVR. They told him to get a Marantz amp. So I am a bit concerned (although I think it's unlikely) that the Adcom might not play nice.

Any thoughts on this potential setup...SR7007 with Adcom GFA-5503? How do you think this would sound versus a SR7007 with a Marantz MM7705 amp? The Adcom has more power and actually has a power rating into 4 ohms, which gives me confidence that it can handle my speaker setup. If it matters, this system runs home theater and music ~equal time, but I probably care more about how it sounds musically.

Thanks!
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 440
If your Adcom amp worked with your 7001, it should be fine with the 7007.

The major amp "incompatibility" that I'm aware of is simply the use of a high-gain amp. A high noise level (other than hum) is usually indicative of faulty equipment. Of course, a high-gain amp will amplify noise just as easily as it amplifies sounds you want to hear. Emotiva's XPA series (which has 32dB gain) has been mentioned occasionally in this regard. The primary symptom is that all of Audyssey's trim levels peg at -12dB. One relatively easy fix that people have used is to insert 12dB attenuators between the receiver's preamp outputs and the inputs to the amp. Some amp designs have adjustable gains and don't need external attenuators. This problem is not unique to the 7007, though.

You might want to consider waiting for this year's SR7008, though, since it includes the highest version of Audyssey (XT32), while the 7007 has "only" the XT version. The SR7008 is scheduled to be available by the end of July.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 16 Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. There is a slight hiss in my L and R, but I have to get fairly close to hear it. I do not have banana plugs on my speaker wires, so that could be it too. I ordered a bunch from Blue Jeans. That should help.

I can wait for the 7008 as long as my 7001 keeps turning on. The only knock I did hear on the 7007 is the lack of XT32, but I don't know how noticeable that would be to me since I've never experienced it.

What I would really like would be a Vincent SP-331 MK for the L and R. This would be great for music. Then the Adcom can power the C and rears for HT. If I move up to a 7.1 system, I could get another Adcom 2-ch amp or replace the 5503 with a 5-ch version. A 7.1 system would leave little room for a couch, given the speakers I've chosen, so it's not likely.

I'll have to see how the 7008 is priced. The 7007 is 1300 for a new one and 1100 for a refurb. The Vincent is a little more than I want to spend at the moment, but I really started taking a liking to the tube amps after listening to a McIntosh system at a local BB Magnolia design center. There are some nuances that my ears cannot pick up. But when I heard that thing, I instantly knew it was in a different league. It was velvet-y...if you can apply a fabric to a sound. But that system was 50K. It would come down to McIntosh vs wife.

Mike
post #4 of 16 Old 06-26-2013, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 16 Old 06-27-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Verify that they're an authorized dealer. D&M will not honor the warranty if the seller isn't authorized. You usually can get quite low prices if you call an authorized dealer for a quote. They just aren't allowed to publish anything other than list price.

Selden

post #6 of 16 Old 06-27-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

This is on their site:

Buyers can now select either BRAND NEW goods with full manufacturers warranties at the best prices, or subject to availability, premium grades of used goods – CERTIFIED MINT™ or GENTLY USED™ - at even better prices, or once again subject to availability, premium FACTORY REFURBISHED goods with limited factory warranties at our lowest price tier.

I assumed the "full manufacturers warranties" comment meant I was safe. I ordered one earlier today. They are not expected to ship until the second week of July, so I can back out if I find something fishy. Funny, they only took paypal because "their customers like the second layer of protection." Yeah, right. Paypal makes the transaction more neutral compared to my using my Discover card. I saw right through that one but didn't call him on it.

I'm starting to have a change of heart on the power amp. I'm thinking about getting a hybrid tube amp, either a Vincent SP-331MK or a Jolida (not sure which one), to power the L and R pairs and using the 5503 for the C and rears. I think this would be much better for 2-channel listening. But I'm not sure how the combo of amps would sound for HT.

Mike
post #7 of 16 Old 06-27-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I saw that this morning, so I called Marantz Customer Support to ask if they are authorized dealer, and like I suspected they are NOT authorized dealer, so that's mean Marantz will not honor the warranty. If you want to check just call Marantz at 800-654-6633

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #8 of 16 Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

I poked around on their site and found the blurb below. Any idea what this means?
Thanks,
Mike

HOW TO OBTAIN WARRANTY SERVICE & TECHNICAL SUPPORT

INDEPENDENT AUDIO VIDEO is committed to providing you with a high-level of satisfying customer service.

IN ALL INSTANCES, CONTACT OUR CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT OR TO INITIATE AND PROCESS ALL WARRANTY SERVICE CLAIMS, INCLUDING BOTH FACTORY WARRANTY AS WELL AS USA FACTORY WARRANTY™ SERVICE. WE WILL ASSIST YOU AS REQUIRED, AND PROVIDE ALL REQUIRED INSTRUCTIONS AND DOCUMENTATION. The cost of providing you this service is included in your purchase price, and it is our pleasure and responsibility to provide it.

WARRANTY COVERAGE

BRAND NEW and FACTORY REFURBISHED condition goods are covered by the original factory warranty. Many manufacturers, especially those offering mid-to-high end specialty products require warranty service (as well as technical support) to be handled by the authorized dealer you purchased from.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
It would seem they provide their own branded "USA Warranty" that essentially offers the same service as the Marantz warranty, although I would confirm that they will cover it for the same 3 year period.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10 of 16 Old 06-28-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

That's what confuses me. Somewhere else on the site it stated that the "USA Warranty" covers their opened/returned items, but that the factory warranty covered new and factory refurbs (the last part is stated above).
post #11 of 16 Old 06-28-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 171
What is really confusing to me is that they are selling it as a CERTIFIED MINT unit, so it's an Open Box or light used SR7008, so my question is how they can sell an Open Box SR7008 when this receiver is not even released yet?

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #12 of 16 Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

They advertised one unit for ~1275 that was an open box and sold quickly. Good question as to how they could have such a unit if it wasn't released yet. This had the "certified mint" warranty that they refer to as the USA Warranty." The guy on the phone said that was a demo, but I wonder if it ever really existed. They are selling new in-box units that are not yet delivered. I said I heard they were not shipping until the end of July. He said more like the second week. I'm planning to call them back to get a better understanding of this warranty issue. I paid ~1475 versus the 2000 that I see everywhere else...Amazon, Crutchfield, etc. Granted, I never asked the authorized dealers if they could give a better price, as was suggested here. Assuming 2000 from an authorized dealer will be the going rate, 500 off is a good deal as long as it's new from the factory. But I want to understand the risk on the warranty and tech support side. It's disappointing that they're not up front with the details. That raises a flag that needs to be explained.

Mike
post #13 of 16 Old 06-28-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Here's what I learned today...the company admitted to buying through authorized distributors and that the unit would come with paperwork that would indicate it was bought through the authorized dealer. They claim this would keep the warranty valid. Yet for warranty issues and tech support, I was told to call them (the seller) first and they would instruct me on how to get the support I needed.

My impression is that the units are new, in-box, from an authorized dealer, but that I would be giving up direct support from Marantz in exchange for the price I would be paying. If I am to read between the lines of the conversation I just had, warranty claims would happen through Marantz but not in a straightforward manner. I don't know what to make of tech support though. I have called Marantz for issues with my SR7001, even though I bought it used online. When would tech support need proof of an authorized purchase?
post #14 of 16 Old 12-30-2013, 03:24 PM

I see this thread was active for 3 days about 6 months ago, but I'm curious if anyone has bought from this company, Independent Audio Video, site: independentaudiovideo.com.

I'm interested in a Marantz Blu-Ray player they've got for a steal. NEW for $199 + $32 shipping.
UD-5007 3D Universal Disc Player with Networking
http://www.independentaudiovideo.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1010843&gclid=CL2yk5OE2bsCFcsRMwod_nAAGQ

I understand they're not an authorized dealer, but I'm wondering about the cost-benefit of such a deal.

I was about to order the same player from Accessories4Less, Refurbished for $329 shipped, and I know they're authorized. I did a Google search to double check the pricing and came up with this.

I'm not looking for permission to order this, just any experience of an actual warranty claim through these guys. As posted above, it seems they need to process the warranty claim, however that would work.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-30-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Many people have reported good results when purchasing a separate warranty through Square Trade when purchasing equipment from an unauthorized reseller.

Selden

post #16 of 16 Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the suggestion Selden.

The seller offers a 3 year extended warranty for $120, which seems pretty high for even the $600 original list price of the UD5007. I'm always leery about those things from a seller that I don't know well. Theirs is from (www.cpscentral.com) which has a 9.17/10 rating on ResellerRatings.com with 159 reviews. It may be legit, but I've got a lot more confidence in Square Trade. Come to think about it, I got an extended warranty on a TV from Costco less than a month ago that was from Square Trade.

Wow. It looks like I can get a 3 year Square Trade warranty for $30, but I haven't looked into any details of exclusions or potential issues related to non-authorized dealer. Maybe I misread something too because I used the purchase price instead of the MSRP, which would be more representative of repair cost to them. I'll try to get more details on it tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ken

BTW, I have a SR5007 coming from Accessories4Less which I think was a GREAT deal @ $499 shipped. So far, it only has the 1 year Marantz Refurb warranty.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr7007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page