AVS Forum banner
24K views 102 replies 33 participants last post by  batman144144 
#1 ·
Just came out on the Yamaha website and looks like a great unit. Competition for the Marantz 8801 I would suspect.

ES9016 SABRE32 Ultra DACs, Yamaha reliability - count me interested.

Reactions: Kevin. W
#52 ·
I just received my CX-A500 and I really like it. Rest of equipment: Panasonic plasma, MCIntosh 207 amp, Velodyne DD15, B&W 803Ds and 7.1 speaker setup. Using it with Comcast cable, Apple TV so far all connected by HDMI.. Seems like when I first turn on the unit there is an audio handshake issue with Comcast box. Have to change sequence of start up to get audio. Any ideas? Also ordered OPPO 105 D which I plan to hook up this week. What's the best hookup as I plan on utilizing the best features of the OPPO (DACs) etc as I want play back SACDs in full surround. Thanks for and help.

#53 ·
I would run your multichannel outputs of the oppo via RCA to the Multichannel in on the Yamaha. How I did it with my Oppo 95 is as follows;

Oppo Multichannel outputs - Yamaha Multichannel inputs

Oppo HDMI 1 to Yamaha AV1 (disable audio over HDMI on Oppo, Assign AV1 as Video source on Multichannel on Yamaha

Oppo HDMI 2 to Yamaha AV2

This allows me to watch a blueray movie using the Yamaha DSP's and its DACS when AV2 is selected

and when I select AV1 on the Yamaha I am utilizing the Oppo for all processing

The 105 is more advanced then my 95 so I am not sure which HDMI output you would use so you may have to read the manual on the oppo to get the right combination.

Best of luck and congrats the CX-A5000 is an excellent unit.:)

Reactions: CTBob
#56 ·
There will be a 2015 model you can purchase about a year from now.
That is the rumor, but I would not bank on it.

Prior to the CX-A5000, Yamaha had not made a pre/pro in years. So, its commitment to offering pre/pros is hardly strong and consistent. Similarly, Denon has moved entirely away from pre/pros to only AVRs. And Onkyo/Integra, which had reinvigorated the pre/pro market a few years ago, has been inconsistent in its US offerings the past 1-2 years. Pre/pros can be a tough sell in these market conditions -- especially as they are cross shopped against almost equivalent AVRs. In the end, sales metrics of the CX-A5000 will likely decide the fate of its successor or lack thereof.

I rolled the dice on the CX-A5000 this fall. I was not going to wait another year. And I will not be surprised if, by this time next year, that expected successor is not forthcoming.

AJ

#58 ·
A Yamaha employee told me on the IFA in Berlin to the exact question that a CX 5000 succesors "won't be available before IFA 2015". Given the fact that Yamaha skipped this years turn with no new preamp, even though with Atmos being brought to the market, I assume Yamaha wants to bring out a 2nd gen unit with soft- and hardware built to last at least for some years. Maybe other restrictions will fall in regards to current 1st gen midels such as more then 4 height channels and better implementation of Auro the what D&M did (using the Sub 2 output for VOG!).
I for myself will go with an RX3040 used as a processors with pre amp outputs used. When changed again in 2015 to a newer model I will get from my seller the money I am paying for the RX3040 fully deducted on the newer midel. A risk free approach :)

#59 ·
Dear mates: I discovered today that my unit updates is registered 1.08. Looking at the CXA 5000 yamaha site, updates are up to 1.60, the last one. Would you be so kind as to inform me, if I download the last one the previous ones will be included? According to the information on my processor's device 4k is rated at 25 and 35 hz, if my mind doesn't fail me, and there's an update raising it to 60hz. in june 2014. Thank you in advance.

#60 ·
Yes, Yamaha includes all previous updates into each new update. I verified this with yamaha tech support myself.

:)

#67 · (Edited)
Help! I think I blew my amp. :eek::mad::(:confused:

Okay, so, my CX-5000 arrives and I'm in the process of moving and disconnecting my current receiver (which I use with an outboard amp). Like an idiot, I had both the receiver and amp on. A couple of cables cross between the receiver and speaker cables on the amp. Boom. Then a loud hum. I turn off the amp and receiver. I turn on only the amp and the hum is still there. I disconnected the amp for 20 min. to let it reset....if amps even do that, then turn it back on. The hum is still there. I've tried fiddling with all the interconnects and speaker cables. If I disconnect right channel interconnect from the receiver, the hum is still there. I've tried wiggling everything. No luck. For reference, the amp is the Chiro C-500 five-channel amp; the receiver is the Marantz SR5005.

Okay, give it to me straight. Am I now in the market for a new multi-channel amp?

#68 ·
Do you have another set of speakers to connect to the amp to rule out the possibility that you blew the speakers and not the amp? If so, and there is still a loud hum then you probably blew the amp, but I would check into what it would cost to have the amp repaired first as it may not be to bad. Word to the wise ALWAYS UNPLUG all equipment before connecting/disconnecting said equipment. In my much younger days I fried a kenwood amp doing the same thing in my excitement to hook up a newly purchased pre-amp. A very costly lesson to learn.

Best of luck and enjoy your new yamaha Cx-a5000 when you get everything squared away.

Reactions: batman144144
#69 ·
Do you have another set of speakers....
No, but I do have another "set" of amplifiers....in my receiver. I connected the speakers to it and everything sounds fine. I've already ordered another amp. My first choice was the 7-channel Marantz, but for the same price you can get the 11-channel Yamaha MX-A5000 --the matching component to the CX. So, I went with that. You are so right. This was a very expensive lesson.

I'm going to kinda miss my old amp. It's a Chiro by Kinergetics and was designed by the same guy that does Krell stuff. The amp was extremely well-reviewed and was, in fact, compared to Krell amps. It ran extremely cool and barely even got warm. You could set other components on top of it with no problem. I've had it since '96. I'm sure I'll love the new Yamaha, but it's still like saying goodbye to an old friend...

#70 ·
Sorry to hear its your amp, oh well you got a lot of good years out of it. I myself would have ordered the Yamaha amp but I had ATI amps already. When I was doing my research on the Yamaha amp the one thing that was mentioned is it runs a bit on the warm side so I would take that as running hotter that your old amp. With amps, my opinion is that they need lots of room to breath to stay cool so I place mine on the very top of my equipment rack with nothing around it. Your gonna like your new setup and please post your impressions for others to read.

#71 ·
When I was doing my research on the Yamaha amp the one thing that was mentioned is it runs a bit on the warm side so I would take that as running hotter that your old amp. With amps, my opinion is that they need lots of room to breath to stay cool so I place mine on the very top of my equipment rack with nothing around it.
I read the same thing. How hot does the CX run? Would putting the MX on top of it be an option?

#72 ·
I myself would not stack them, my cx is on a dedicated shelf with about 8" of space on the top, this leaves my unit running extremely cool (not even really warm after hours of playing) and easy to get too to keep them dusted frequently. The one thing to keep in mind is that any heat generated by the lower component when stacking adds to the heat produced by the one above it and in this case the amp will already be producing heat. If you absolutely have too, put riser blocks on the feet of the amp to increase the space between the two and look at some active cooling solutions.

#76 ·
Hi guys,
I am getting a CX A 5000 delivered today and will compare it to the Marantz AV7702, as I will buy either of the two units as an upgrade to my existing pre pro.

However I have a couple of questions on the setup which someone might hopefully be able to answer:

1. I am using active speakers, an Oppo 103D Blu Ray Player and a TV. The Oppo has two HDMI outs and can be set up in a way that one HDMI carries the sound information only and the other HDMI carries the actual movie data stream.
My plan was to connect the audio HDMI with the Yamaha and then the other HDMI directly with the TV.

Is there a possibility to activate the OSD for the Yamaha without having an HDMI connection from the processor to the TV?

2. I think I read "somewhere" that the initial setup can be done via browser as well if the Yamaha is connected to the network.
Could someone enlighten me how this is done? I seem to remember that you have to enter the processor´s IP in the browser? How do I know which IP the Yamaha got assigned in my network? :confused:

3. I am currently using a Velodyne DD12 Woofer which got a room EQ build in. This is working pretty fine for me and the bass is perfect as it is.
My speakers are all set to 80hz and below that the woofer takes over, which means that the build in EQ does its work as well.
Now when using YPAO is there a way to keep the above described setup, so the Yamaha´s room EQ does only take care of the frequencies above 80 HZ?

4. I read that you can run YPAO from multiple positions.
Is there any benefit of doing this or would it be sufficient to just position the tripod thingy at my main listening position? Just wondering if the whole EQ gets more precise the more measure points it has.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I am really new to all this fancy stuff as my current processor is a good 10 years old and as basic as it gets! :D

#77 ·
Hi guys,
I am getting a CX A 5000 delivered today...
I've been using the CX and MX matching amp less than a day, but I believe I can field a few of these.

1. I think most users on this forum recommend using only HDMI1 and connecting it, and your other HDMI gear, to the CX. Then, you would use the HDMI out to your monitor. I believe users had trouble with HDMI switching when they used both outputs on the 103D. However, don't let that stop you from experimenting.

2. Yeah, I wanted to try this, but I ended up just using the CX menus. You can get the unit's IP by using the remote and pressing On Screen, Setup, Network. Then go to your browser and enter the web address [CX Address]/setup. At least, that's how I understand it to work.

3. YPAO will reset everything how it thinks it should be, then you can go back in and tweak things however you want.

4. My understanding is that if you have only one listening position, you should not also calculate other listening positions because the unit is going to try and split the difference, so to speak.

Please, anyone with more experience than I with the CX, which is pretty much everyone, feel free to correct anything I've said and comment here.

#79 ·
Hey, guys. Two questions. I just noticed that if you set your front speakers to Large, the unit cuts off output to the subwoofers (even with the surrounds set to small), at least according to the speaker display on the front panel. Now, the surrounds are supposed to be full range, so, why does the unit cut off the subs? Actually, I would like to be able to send bass info to the front speakers AND the sub. Is there a way to do that?

#86 ·
#85 · (Edited)
I just read the official announcement will be a week from today on the 20th.

Also read the subwoofer outputs will be XLR.

James

#88 ·
Granted, there is certainly not consensus on this, but I would think the majority would say the 8801 SQ was preferred (warmer?) but reliability is still Yamaha's strong suit. I have a Denon 4310 where the back HDMI ins have just died, my past Yamaha's were solid. Now that the 8802 has upped the SQ bar (reliability still?) does the 5100 raise the pure SQ bar from the 5000?

#89 ·
Does anyone know can you adjust volume on the sub-woofer, center and surrounds directly from the remote without going to a sub menu? I have a B&K processor and I am able to adjust the volume with the remote directly. It's a convenient feature. I am looking to upgrade to a new processor for less then $2000. And I am looking at Yamaha CX-A5000 or Marantz AV8801. I am favoring the Yamaha, based on what I read that it has a more detailed sound then the Marantz. I've seen the AV8801 for $1500 from an authorized dealer. Trying to see if I can get close to that for the CX-A5000.

#90 ·
Does anyone know can you adjust volume on the sub-woofer, center and surrounds directly from the remote without going to a sub menu? I have a B&K processor and I am able to adjust the volume with the remote directly. It's a convenient feature. I am looking to upgrade to a new processor for less then $2000. And I am looking at Yamaha CX-A5000 or Marantz AV8801. I am favoring the Yamaha, based on what I read that it has a more detailed sound then the Marantz. I've seen the AV8801 for $1500 from an authorized dealer. Trying to see if I can get close to that for the CX-A5000.
Yes, you can. There is a flip down panel on the bottom of the remote which when flipped down reveals more buttons to include a LEVEL button which can be used to adjust each speaker or subwoofer volume separately. :)

#92 ·
Hey, guys, does anyone know if the CX-A5000 can do analog in to digital out? I'd like to use mine to digitize some vinyl. The user manual doesn't have any info on this, and I couldn't find anything online. I tried doing it using the front Video Aux analog input and the optical AV OUT on the back. No luck. Does anyone know if this can be done?

By the way, a Yamaha rep claims this can be done on a YouTube vid at CES.

#94 ·
I own a CX-A5000 and I can confirm I was also not able to do analog to digital conversion either with a turntable or minidisk player/recorder. What I did to get around this was to purchase a TASCAM DA-3000 solid state recorder to digitize my Vinyl. This unit is outstanding as it can record analog up to 24/196 and both levels of DSD onto SD or CF cards which in turn can be taken to a PC for cleanup and tagging. It can also be used as an ADC bypass unit taking the analog signal up sampling it to the format you choose and then outputting the signal via ANALOG for DSD or digital up to 24/196 in real time out to the CX-A5000. I have recorded some of my newer 200 gram 45 RPM 12" LP master releases and they are hands above the CD versions of those same albums. The unit is not cheap but you can't find something easier to use that I am aware of at this time. Worth checking out in my opinion if your serious about recording your vinyl.

#96 ·
TASCAM is an outstanding name in not just consumer gear, but the pro audio world as well, so I have no doubt your unit's performance is stellar. I prefer using my computer to capture the data, and I've been using a consumer-grade sound card to do the AD conversion, as well as output all my computer's audio to the CX-A5000. It actually has RCA inputs that you mount in a slot intended for an optical drive on the front of the computer. However, I suspected the ADCs in the CX were probably much better than my sound card, so I wanted to give that a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.