Sound levels in games and Blu-rays - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-27-2013, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a Denon AV Receiver with a Kipsch 5.1 speaker setup. I ran the auto-setup on the Denon when I setup the current speaker positions.

On Blu-rays the dialog, music and sound effects sound great, in level with each other.

But when I play a game like Bioshock Infinite where dialog is coming at times from L, R and the Surrounds the dialog changes volume when it is moved from one speaker to another. ie: if Elizabeth starts talking to me from the SL speaker the dialog is louder and then if I turn to look at her the dialog gets quieter when it's in the center channel.

I know I can adjust the speakers volume in the Denon so they are equal, but I'm afraid of loosing what seems like a perfectly fine setup for Blu-rays. How should I proceed and will making games sound more consistent ruin my Blu-ray sound levels?

Samsung UA55HU9000, Klipsch Quintet 5.1, Onkyo TX-NR515AE, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U. Plus a bunch of old consoles.
XBL: DELTAprime, PSN: DELTAsnake, Wii U: DELTAprime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had the exact same problem, right down to the same game and same character smile.gif

I'm guessing you have Dynamic EQ on. Try turning it off and you'll see the problem disappear. Dynamic EQ struggles with games because it boosts the rears too much, I find. Another option is to tweak the reference level with Dynamic EQ on. I've been playing The Last of Us with Dynamic EQ on and Reference Level set to 15, and that tones down the rears quite a bit. I think they are just a bit too loud now, but the tradeoff for the other benefits of having DEQ on makes it worth it for me.
DELTAsnake likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-27-2013, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks, I never realized that Dynamic EQ was on. Things sound much more equal now. I might play around with the volume settings a bit, see if I can get things a bit more equal than the auto-setup.

Samsung UA55HU9000, Klipsch Quintet 5.1, Onkyo TX-NR515AE, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U. Plus a bunch of old consoles.
XBL: DELTAprime, PSN: DELTAsnake, Wii U: DELTAprime
post #4 of 4 Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAsnake View Post

Thanks, I never realized that Dynamic EQ was on. Things sound much more equal now. I might play around with the volume settings a bit, see if I can get things a bit more equal than the auto-setup.

they already are calibrated equal. If you use the internal test tones to re calibrate you run the risk that there are peaks in frequency response that will significantly impact th readings for one or two speakers, and then will be gone when you actually play real content. This happens because the Audyssey corrections are entirely bypassed during manual setup.

See AUdyssey FAQ in AUdyssey thread.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page