Extremely Confused Receiver selection HELP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know you guys are getting a lot of these questions, but I’m going crazy since my piece of s*** Onkyo died. I need my surround sound! Can someone give me some suggestions on an awesome receiver? My budget is about $600, but if an $800 receiver is the best, a must have, I can push my budge a bit. I’m running the following speaker setup

1 x Polk Audio CS1 Series II Center Channel 55hz – 25khz 8 ohms 20-125w 89dB
2 x Polk Audio Monitor 50 Two-way Loudspeaker 42hz – 25khz 8 ohms 20-150w 89dB
4 x Polk Audio RM7 satellites 95hz – 22khz 8 ohms 20-100w 89dB
1 x BIC America F12 subwoofer (possibly getting a second one so I need 7.2)

I’ve been looking at some receivers and the following jumped at me, but after reading all the features, I’m basically… extremely confused.

Denon AVR-2313CI
Denon AVR-3513CI
Yamaha RX-V673
Yamaha RX-V675
Yamaha RX-A820
Marantz SR5007

I only have a 3D blu ray player, ps3, and my directtv box. I don’t plan on hooking up anything else any time soon. I would love to have internet radio, Pandora, etc… Wifi is not necessary as I already ran an Ethernet cable in that area. Idk… I’m a sucker for brand new features, so I would pay extra for a receiver that offers all types of bells and whistles. Second zone would be nice, but not necessary. The most important thing I want out of this receiver is for my movie watching experience to be perfect (video, sound, etc...) If anybody can give me some opinions about the receivers I listed above, or if there are any better ones out there within my budget I’m willing to listen. Just no more Onkyo. I paid $600 for my receiver and it died 3 years later, just outside it’s warranty period. I would expect these to lasts 5 to 10 years easily. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
My Pioneer died after two years. Does that mean I'd never buy Pioneer again? No, but probably not soon on the other hand smile.gif The Pioneer I had before that lasted longer before not dying, but developing buzzing issues. Probably not quite 10, would have to check records. I've had a low end Sony AVR that I put back in service for the dead Pioneer, so it's probably up to 5 or 6 years of use now. The Onkyo I've got is 1.5 years old and doing well. My old Carver amps are closer to 30 years old.

I don't think any electronics are particularly well made any more no matter the brand and many are not too interested in better QC as they likely figure the market is fickle and replaces gear in a few years anyways to keep up with tech. $600-800 will only get you mid level AVRs in any case. My next AVR, to replace the Pioneer/Sony in my bedroom, is likely the Onkyo 818 with Audyssey XT32 which is finally dropping in price with the newer models being released (and still the cheapest way to get XT32, which IMHO is better than Yamaha's YPAO)....it's about $700 for refurb, $800 and up for new. I just look for the avr that has the options I want and the best feature set possible for the $...

You don't "need" two sub pre-outs as most avr's at this level don't have separately adjustable sub management options and have no more than an internal y-splitter which you can easily source at monoprice or ratshack...

post #3 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
NewEgg has the Yamaha RX-A820 for less than $500 delivered until 7/1/13. I bought one yesterday it will be my 4th Yamaha in the past 15 to 20 yrs and I can't find anything bad to say about them because I've had zero problems. My first receiver still works its a 5ch HTIB model I bought soon after High school planing on using it in a garage one day. My RX-V661 I sold for $250 last Christmas and now I've got someone lined up to buy my RX-V671 when the 820 gets here next week.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've been very happy with my Yamaha A720. The built-in AirPlay and Pandora work great, and Yamaha's remote app is pretty slick. NewEgg has regularly had the A820 for $499, so that would be my choice. They've also been selling the Pioneer 1222-k for $499, and I hear it's also a very nice avr. You shouldn't need to spend any more than $500 for a suitable replacement for your Onkyo.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 239
The Denon 3312 is outstanding.

Its REAL power output is actually close to what its specs claim, and you can't say that about most Yamaha or Pioneer receivers.

I will tell any friend of mine to stay away from Yamaha, Sony, Anthem, and Pioneer, because they are harsh-sounding when pushed and IMO poorly engineered.

My advice is to stick with Denon, Marantz, or Cambridge Audio. They are the best on the market IMO. Cambridge is more expensive, but is much better-engineered to drive real-world speakers with less distortion. You pay more and you get more.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The Denon 3312 is outstanding.

Its REAL power output is actually close to what its specs claim, and you can't say that about most Yamaha or Pioneer receivers.

I will tell any friend of mine to stay away from Yamaha, Sony, Anthem, and Pioneer, because they are harsh-sounding when pushed and IMO poorly engineered.

My advice is to stick with Denon, Marantz, or Cambridge Audio. They are the best on the market IMO. Cambridge is more expensive, but is much better-engineered to drive real-world speakers with less distortion. You pay more and you get more.
You may want to take a look at the test bench of the Pioneer before you dis it. http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-elite-sc-61-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures
Avgass likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I narrowed it down to the Marantz sr5007 and Yamaha rx-a820. Can someone help push me one way or the other? From reading Marantz has the Audyssey which is much better than the YPAO, but is that the only advantage? I don't understand why the Yamaha is $800 and Marantz $600 if that's the only major difference.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hopefully you're not paying $800 for the A820. That's about $300 too much. I can't speak for the Marantz, but I have an A720 and love it. The Yamaha remote app is very good. I pretty much do everything from my iPad. Frankly, you can't go wrong with either choice.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-29-2013, 05:06 AM

Liked: 27
You can get the RX-A820 from newegg for $480 delivered if you order before 7/1. Mine arrived yesterday, I may be seeing things but I think my picture on the TV looks better with the new reciever.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page