Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 407 Old 05-16-2014, 07:28 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 831
I don't know but I do know that most software media players have a shuffle mode. You should be able to connect to one of your choice with the receiver. The one I use is Koo Ra Roo but there are plenty of good ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 407 Old 05-17-2014, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in the process of building up a HT / Listening room in my basement. I have the opton to get the older SC-65 for $950 or the newer SC-75 for $1200.

There is a $250 difference, and I am trying to figure out if the newer unit is worth the extra expense. From what I have gathered, the differences are not too big.

1. The amp is +5w (but I am driving the mains, center and surround pre-out to a 250w Anthem power amp)
2. There is a newer 22bit sabre dac.
3. 4K video
4. and extra HDMI out.

Does the newer DAC help the unit sound any better? I don't have a 4K TV, but might in the future. Does it make the picture on screen look any better, or would I get the same thing with just getting an Oppo 103d and let it upscale to 4K and then pass through the pioneer, or even bypass it for video out and go direct,

Just wondering as these units have been out for a bit now.
post #393 of 407 Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
. The 32-bit DAC helps a lot and the audio upscaling too. If you buy it for the additional power, etc, it's not worth the money.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #394 of 407 Old 05-17-2014, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

. The 32-bit DAC helps a lot and the audio upscaling too. If you buy it for the additional power, etc, it's not worth the money.

Helps a lot with what?

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
post #395 of 407 Old 05-18-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Well, since the DAC deals with sound, then the DAC helps a lot with the sound quality

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #396 of 407 Old 05-18-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill401 View Post

I am in the process of building up a HT / Listening room in my basement. I have the option to get the older SC-65 for $950 or the newer SC-75 for $1200.

You might also want to look at the Pioneer 1523-K. Based on everything I can find, it is the same AVR as the SC-75 (with the exception of a gold display and the "Elite" badge). The marketing sheets/spec sheets put out by Pioneer show the same information for both receivers. Oddly, if you look at the SC-75 on Amazon, it tells you "there is s newer version of this item" and links you to the 1523.

The 1523 sells for $999, giving you much more than the SC-65 for essentially the same cost.
post #397 of 407 Old 05-18-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post

The 1523 sells for $999, giving you much more than the SC-65 for essentially the same cost.

The down side is that the 1523 is only sold in the USA, so being in Canada it becomes a real pain for me..

1. have to ship it to a us mailing address and pay for that
2. warranty void if I try and get it fixed in Canada, considered now grey market
3. if I had to get it fixed, have to bring it back to the usa. travel costs
4. will end up paying not only Canada's HST but also US state tax depending on where it's shiped to, and possible duty bringing it back into canada.

I ended up getting the SC1528K for $1099. I tried to get them to match the US price, or the sale price from Christmas, but they would not go any lower. It wasn't worth the extra fight for another $100.
post #398 of 407 Old 05-18-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill401 View Post

The down side is that the 1523 is only sold in the USA, so being in Canada it becomes a real pain for me.

Yes... I missed that part. That does make a difference.

Quote:
I ended up getting the SC1528K for $1099. I tried to get them to match the US price, or the sale price from Christmas, but they would not go any lower. It wasn't worth the extra fight for another $100.

The minor differences in model number names by are/country were confusing me at first. When I started looking for an AVR and heard about the Pioneer I was seeing all the model numbers with essentially the same feature set. I guess that have some reason for it.

Isn't the 1528 the "Canadian" version of the 1523? Same difference, I guess. $1099 isn't a bad price. You are right - sometimes it isn't worth the hassle to argue over the last few dollars.
post #399 of 407 Old 05-18-2014, 09:02 PM

the SC1528K is the futureshop exclusive. It allows them to never have to compete with any of the dealers.. They have a price beat policy so if you can get a unique product number even though it is an exact same unit, then you never have to worry. I guess it could work both ways but the Elite dealers will generally match the FS prices.
post #400 of 407 Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I've had my new SC-75 set up with all my stuff for a few days and I must say I am loving it. I'm using it to power a 5.1 setup of Polk Monitors. 70s for the mains, CS2 for the center and 30s for the surrounds. It replaced an Onkyo 607 that was starting to act a little wonky with HDMI handshaking and such and I had too many consoles and other components for its relative lack of inputs, and it didn't support 3D which was requiring me to Jerry rig my PS3 directly to my TV with an optical back to the receiver for 3D stuff on my new Panny 65VT60. I love how it can have completely different settings for every input because I wanted to have the mains send bass to the sub while listening to stereo music but not for any 5.1 stuff. I also like how it has so many HDMI inputs which is a must with me having my Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Apple TV and PC all hooked up to it. Was considering waiting for the HDMI 2.0 refresh for future proofing but when I found out that none of the higher end receivers were coming out until later in the year from any of the manufacturers it kind of forced my hand.

All in all, I'm really glad I jumped ship from Onkyo to Pioneer. I was close to getting a 929 for a moment but with all the HDMI issues I've been having I changed my mind.

The one thing I wasn't much of a fan of was the MCACC auto calibration though. It made my system sound wimpy as all hell. Anyone else feel the same way about this?

One other thing it would've been nice to have on here would've been some kind of SPL reading for the volume control. I work in sound mixing for TV and am used to the SPL setting for reference levels and the -10.whatever dB readout doesn't really mean much to me.
post #401 of 407 Old 05-19-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 560
^ I don't know of a receiver that offers a sound meter as a feature. Personally the first thing I invested in when I bought my first Elite (SC-07) was sound meter from Radio Shack. Inexpensive and handy to have around if you want to check settings. I would also suggest doing some reading over on the MCACC thread, great way to learn more about its functions, etc.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #402 of 407 Old 08-26-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Very nice! I've had my SC-77 now for about 4 months and I am loving it. I'm essentially powering the same thing as you (Monitor 70's and a CS20...but my back ones are Reference Klipsch speakers) and it's been amazing. I finally got around to running my other zones, and man...it's great. I have a 3 TV display in my theatre room and it's so nice now to be able to run everything from the receiver. Add to it that I have a few splitters set up on my Zone 2 and HD zone...and I'm controlling a TV in my garage and speakers on my patio. So nice. I know my old VSX-23 could do some of those, but it was easy.

I still don't like how I can't get a shuffle on the device though. But I can just as easily stream through the xbox or whatever. But when I'm in my garage or sitting out by the patio, I'm stuck listening to music from media player in the order it's on there. No option on the phone to shuffle (at least that I can find).

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
So I've had my new SC-75 set up with all my stuff for a few days and I must say I am loving it. I'm using it to power a 5.1 setup of Polk Monitors. 70s for the mains, CS2 for the center and 30s for the surrounds. It replaced an Onkyo 607 that was starting to act a little wonky with HDMI handshaking and such and I had too many consoles and other components for its relative lack of inputs, and it didn't support 3D which was requiring me to Jerry rig my PS3 directly to my TV with an optical back to the receiver for 3D stuff on my new Panny 65VT60. I love how it can have completely different settings for every input because I wanted to have the mains send bass to the sub while listening to stereo music but not for any 5.1 stuff. I also like how it has so many HDMI inputs which is a must with me having my Xbox 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Apple TV and PC all hooked up to it. Was considering waiting for the HDMI 2.0 refresh for future proofing but when I found out that none of the higher end receivers were coming out until later in the year from any of the manufacturers it kind of forced my hand.

All in all, I'm really glad I jumped ship from Onkyo to Pioneer. I was close to getting a 929 for a moment but with all the HDMI issues I've been having I changed my mind.

The one thing I wasn't much of a fan of was the MCACC auto calibration though. It made my system sound wimpy as all hell. Anyone else feel the same way about this?

One other thing it would've been nice to have on here would've been some kind of SPL reading for the volume control. I work in sound mixing for TV and am used to the SPL setting for reference levels and the -10.whatever dB readout doesn't really mean much to me.

post #403 of 407 Old 11-08-2014, 01:53 PM

need buying advice

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice maybe you can help me. I currently have a Denon avr3312CI. since i got it I did not like it should have returned it asap. What I don't like is the User Experience and graphic interface are horrible. The app is also terrible.

I have a 5.1 Surround system driving polk monitor speakers along with 2 separate zones one for my patio and one for my kitchen.

I recently put my denon on eBay and got an offer for $400 which is a good price. would like to add about another $400 to upgrade to a pioneer. Looking at the sc-77 I also know there is the sc 72 and sc 75 which I can't tell the difference.

Can you advise me which one to get. I am also okay with a used model I read someplace the sc-67 is good too.
Must have 3 zones and be app controlled with a good user interface.

Thanks
post #404 of 407 Old 11-25-2014, 05:35 PM

Okay...This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but here goes.

I've had this SC-77 for several months now. I recently was given a functional Elite VSX-52. I figured for the time being I'd essentially use it as a component switch in my kids playroom where they have their consoles, etc. Problem is, I can't get the audio to pass through to the TV....and I have the Elite Unit on. I looked on the settings on my SC-77 and VSX-52 and I can't seem to locate where the audio passthrough would be.

Picture comes in just fine, but no sound. My TV speakers are on, because they were working before.

Do these receiver simply not pass audio through the HDMI to the TV?

post #405 of 407 Old 11-25-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benalexe View Post
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice maybe you can help me. I currently have a Denon avr3312CI. since i got it I did not like it should have returned it asap. What I don't like is the User Experience and graphic interface are horrible. The app is also terrible.

I have a 5.1 Surround system driving polk monitor speakers along with 2 separate zones one for my patio and one for my kitchen.

I recently put my denon on eBay and got an offer for $400 which is a good price. would like to add about another $400 to upgrade to a pioneer. Looking at the sc-77 I also know there is the sc 72 and sc 75 which I can't tell the difference.

Can you advise me which one to get. I am also okay with a used model I read someplace the sc-67 is good too.
Must have 3 zones and be app controlled with a good user interface.

Thanks
I couldn't be happier with my SC-77. I have 3 zones, all HD, running on Saturday's when I'm in my basement watching college football. I put the app on my phone and it's really easy to switch between them all. Picture and sound are astounding as well.

post #406 of 407 Old 11-25-2014, 05:37 PM

Okay...This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but here goes.

I've had this SC-77 for several months now. I recently was given a functional Elite VSX-52. I figured for the time being I'd essentially use it as a component switch in my kids playroom where they have their consoles, etc. Problem is, I can't get the audio to pass through to the TV....and I have the Elite Unit on. I looked on the settings on my SC-77 and VSX-52 and I can't seem to locate where the audio passthrough would be.

Picture comes in just fine, but no sound. My TV speakers are on, because they were working before.

Do these receiver simply not pass audio through the HDMI to the TV?

post #407 of 407 Old 11-28-2014, 08:26 AM

new- Factory refurb sc-77 got a few questions

Just got a sc-77 factory refurb unit. I am having 2 issues and not sure what to do about them.

issue 1-
Every once in a while the received will freeze up and say updating on the display- The only way to unfreeze is to unplug- This happened a few times. Not sure if it is a defect.

issue 2-
on the icotnrol5 app- If I go to zone 2 or zone 3 and hit alternate sources like internet ration or favorites nothing happens... Works fine in zone 1 not zone 2 or 3 any advice???
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 75 Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc77 Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 72

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page