Pioneer Elite SC-75/77/79 Anticipation Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 407 Old 09-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I upgraded my sc-37 to the sc-77 a couple of months ago, and I am running Atlantic Technology 8200-e speakers with the Sony VW200 projector on a Stewart filmscreen 128" screen. I can say the improvement over the sc-37 is substantial in terms of a "fuller" sound, and more integration of the midrange to lower frequencies. If I can ever separate my wife from the IPAD, I would like to try the app for the amplifier as well, but she seems to sleep with the dang thing. I have not noticed any real upgrade in terms of picture clarity over the old receiver, but listening to the Police live DVD is a real treat. The power to drive the larger speakers like the 8200's is impressive, and soon I will try driving 2 separate rooms to really thrash the receivers capabilities'. I have to say there IS a real upgrade in both the sound clarity and the power output in this SC-77 model, HIGHLY recommended!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 407 Old 09-22-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

I'm still contemplating in upgrading my SC-25 (and Anthem MRX700) to SC-77.

David

I would give my own recommendation to the SC-77 or 79 over the 25 based on my experience with the 68. the SC-09 is a bit different story from the 25 wink.gif and I still have & use my 09 as well as the 68. I found the MCACC tuning with the 68 is a little different settings, but very similar overall. no surprises. I do think the overall "sound" is just a tad less bright with the new amp design, tuning or both smile.gif could explain POM's comment about being fuller.

the only caveat going to the 77 is if you use/need multichannel analog inputs. they are now gone frown.gif if you need them but still want to upgrade, I'd highly recommend finding a used or demo SC-68.

I found the new amps very capable compared to the previous Ice amps. and having PLIIz and NeoX to play with adds to the fun as you found with virtual heights/wides wink.gif nothing earth-shattering, but depending on the movie, it can add a subtle enhancement. I don't remember if the 27/25 generation had Optimum Surround but I like that mode for plain-jane Dolby matrix surround on older DVD's, seems to enhance channel separation or balance over PLIIx on older tracks. over the past year, we watched the whole X-Files series, which was matrix surround, and Opt Surround seemed an improvement over using PLIIx.

is this a 2nd system? I thought you're using a new Yammie prepro or top AVR in your main room but could be wrong on that wink.gif

although I haven't looked at 25 specs in awhile, I think you'll also get more media file support if you're into PC audio...an added bene.

Steve
post #183 of 407 Old 09-22-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I was originally thinking of the Yamaha CX with Parasound power amp but Paraspund is no longer distributed in Canada. So my choice is between the 3030 and 77. However, since I'll be using the upscaler, I'm taking the 3030 out of the equation.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #184 of 407 Old 10-03-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I just installed an SC-77 for one of my clients and the first thing that caught my eye is the display is no longer amber but pale yellow. I find tbat choice of colour cheapens the visual appearance of the receiver. frown.gif

my home theatre

post #185 of 407 Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 PM

i've not been a good worker bee today at the office due to researching receivers - can't stop researching! How does the current lineup namely SC-75/77 compare to that of yesteryear SC-65/67/68?

100% of my music is stored on my computer/NAS/iTunes and would certainly appreciate a competent DAC. My movie collection is stored in HDD's as well. As my PC will be the main brains of the operation at the current time, are there any opinions regarding whether newer equipment will offer more benefit vs the cost savings? I've already read through this forum and identified the 2012 lineup used Asahi Kasei DAC vs the new SABRE32 (could be wrong). Are there significant benefits of one over the other? The amp department is relatively the same D3 power source. What am i missing?
post #186 of 407 Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing for sure, the change from AKM to Sabre32 DAC makes a huge audible improvements.

my home theatre

post #187 of 407 Old 10-10-2013, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If I went with the sc-79 then I would be giving up the multichannel analog from my oppo 95 (which im not using yet but was planning on setting it up). Maybe its time to let it go...
post #188 of 407 Old 10-10-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus00 View Post

If I went with the sc-79 then I would be giving up the multichannel analog from my oppo 95 (which im not using yet but was planning on setting it up). Maybe its time to let it go...
But you would still be using great DAC's as the 75/77/79 all use the Sabre 32 DAC's.
post #189 of 407 Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

But you would still be using great DAC's as the 75/77/79 all use the Sabre 32 DAC's.

Yeah thats great the oppo 95 has them too. The sc 79 has the Asynch 32 bit USB DAC (assuming that is ESSsabre32 also). I like the convenience of having more high quality options to connect computer to the AVR I would definitely try that out and HDMI too. Would love to finally be able to get audio to zone 2 over hdmi without having to also have an analog connection from computer to AVR.

Currently using PSB Synchrony 2 for zone 1 5.1 setup and also have a second zone with ceiling speakers throughout the house. The sc 79 should power the PSB's a lot better than my current onkyo.
post #190 of 407 Old 10-10-2013, 04:19 PM

I've been eyeing the new Elite line for a while now.
They've finally started to show up in the Montreal area.
I currently have an older VSX-1018, that was upgraded from a 1015TX before that, always liked the Pioneer sound.

I was eyeing the SC-71/72 and SC-75. However, there's quite a steep increase in price between the 72 and 75 and I'm not 100% sure it's worth the premium?
I mean an extra HDMI port is nice along with a bit more power and Sabre DAC, but is it really worth 600$?

My current setup is JBL E30 bookshelves * 4 with JBL EC25 and Infinity 12" sub.
My use is mostly 60% Movies/TV 35% Gaming 5% Music.
Would a SC-75 be overkill?

I was also considering the new Denon X4000 and Marantz SR6008, but I've been satisfied with Pioneer so far, so I'd like to stay with that brand and treat myself to a Elite.
Would appreciate suggestions.
post #191 of 407 Old 10-10-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the SC-75 MCACC comes with Full Band Phase Control+, 32-bit upsampling, Sabre32 DAC. The only "bad" thing about the 75 is that there is no more phono input so I had to buy a separate phono pre-amp for my turntable.... which is kind of a blessing in disguise as the $100 I spent on the separate phono pre-amp (Rek-O-Kut) is much better sounding than the phono pre-amp built into the SC-77 (which is about $200 more than the SC-75)

my home theatre

post #192 of 407 Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

PS: If you're coming to Toronto area this long weekend, just PM me. I can have you come in to my home theatre and listen to the receiver yourself.

my home theatre

post #193 of 407 Old 10-10-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_85 View Post

I've been eyeing the new Elite line for a while now.
They've finally started to show up in the Montreal area.
I currently have an older VSX-1018, that was upgraded from a 1015TX before that, always liked the Pioneer sound.

I was eyeing the SC-71/72 and SC-75. However, there's quite a steep increase in price between the 72 and 75 and I'm not 100% sure it's worth the premium?
I mean an extra HDMI port is nice along with a bit more power and Sabre DAC, but is it really worth 600$?

My current setup is JBL E30 bookshelves * 4 with JBL EC25 and Infinity 12" sub.
My use is mostly 60% Movies/TV 35% Gaming 5% Music.
Would a SC-75 be overkill?

I was also considering the new Denon X4000 and Marantz SR6008, but I've been satisfied with Pioneer so far, so I'd like to stay with that brand and treat myself to a Elite.
Would appreciate suggestions.
As long you stay with Pioneer,go with the SC-75.
post #194 of 407 Old 10-10-2013, 04:42 PM

Thank you everyone for the quick feedback, much appreciated.
Seems like I'll pull the plug on the 75.
Quote:

PS: If you're coming to Toronto area this long weekend, just PM me. I can have you come in to my home theatre and listen to the receiver yourself.
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback, much appreciated.
I'm not coming to Toronto this week-end, but thanks for the offer still!
post #195 of 407 Old 10-10-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Or any other weekend (except for the weekend of TAVES, I'll be covering TAVES this year)

my home theatre

post #196 of 407 Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM

Toronto is a great town Dave it's been a while and for some reason I always seem to end up in Montreal...

I think for phono I'd rather have a separate preamp anyway.

Looks like the 79 is best i get right now without splitting things up and I love to play from my external drives and my drobo since i Have a lot of concerts etc in FLAC format.
David Susilo likes this.
post #197 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 02:14 PM

I decided to check prices on the sc-79 and was thinking if I bought I would buy from a best buy magnolia store so I could get the full warranty. There is one review on best buy's site for the sc-79 but looks like it is a not a sc-79 specific one. I'll post here for your review. Sad this is the only one.

What's great about it: shows that you can be tricked to spend that much on musicWhat's not so great: no value for the pricei have owned one of these pioneer elite systems for more than a year now. When I bought one, I bought the most expensive one in the series so I don't miss out on anything. I must tell you that I feel stupid because there are cheaper systems that are easier to install and easier to operate. The last straw was when I noted delays between audio on video on some connections. you also have to buy a seperate amplifier. The amazing set of features is useless because it is very hard to use. The remote, the connections and the interface is too complicated. My friend owns a system that costs less than one tenth and the music from his system sounds just as good. It is not impossible to learn the system, but who has several hours in the day for several days in a row to dedicate to learning to play a receiver? When you want to play music, you want to play music and not run for the manual and start flipping pages. Overall, I felt sad and felt that I would have been better off with a cheaper, easier to use system.

and This product has...

Runs hot and separate amplifier has to be bought on some models and lot of hassleand and
About me...Tech savvy and
No, I would not recommend this to a friend.
post #198 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I decided to check prices on the sc-79 and was thinking if I bought I would buy from a best buy magnolia store so I could get the full warranty. There is one review on best buy's site for the sc-79 but looks like it is a not a sc-79 specific one. I'll post here for your review. Sad this is the only one.

What's great about it: shows that you can be tricked to spend that much on musicWhat's not so great: no value for the pricei have owned one of these pioneer elite systems for more than a year now. When I bought one, I bought the most expensive one in the series so I don't miss out on anything. I must tell you that I feel stupid because there are cheaper systems that are easier to install and easier to operate. The last straw was when I noted delays between audio on video on some connections. you also have to buy a seperate amplifier. The amazing set of features is useless because it is very hard to use. The remote, the connections and the interface is too complicated. My friend owns a system that costs less than one tenth and the music from his system sounds just as good. It is not impossible to learn the system, but who has several hours in the day for several days in a row to dedicate to learning to play a receiver? When you want to play music, you want to play music and not run for the manual and start flipping pages. Overall, I felt sad and felt that I would have been better off with a cheaper, easier to use system.

and This product has...

Runs hot and separate amplifier has to be bought on some models and lot of hassleand and
So why do you need an external amp unless of course you are running 11.1 which as far as I know no AVR has 11 amps yet.
If yours is running hot something is not right every installation I have done where I replaced the common AB class AVR the Pioneer has run a lot cooler.
post #199 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The lack of understanding of Pioneer receiver (well, receivers in general -- such as not knowing how to set "auto sync" to synchronize audio and video) makes the reviewer to be NOT tech savvy at all.

my home theatre

post #200 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

and This product has...

Nothing is wrong with the receiver,it's you,go back to BB have one saleperson to show you how to use it.
David Susilo likes this.
post #201 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or any other weekend (except for the weekend of TAVES, I'll be covering TAVES this year)

was in Toronto myself in late Sept - just a 2 day biz meeting with my company's Canadian brethren wink.gif so didn't see much except the airport, back seat of taxis, a hotel and the offices eek.gif actually was in Brampton. But I've been in the city several times in my life.

bring us some good info from the show biggrin.gif

Steve
post #202 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

There will lots of goodies from the show including Sony curved LCD TV, reference soundbar, DACs, personal 3D viewer with wireless HDMI etc. I will be prepping and calibrating 5 rooms at TAVES.

There are some items that I've already reviewed but I just can't talk about them yyet (until the reviews are published during and after TAVES)

my home theatre

post #203 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The lack of understanding of Pioneer receiver (well, receivers in general -- such as not knowing how to set "auto sync" to synchronize audio and video) makes the reviewer to be NOT tech savvy at all.

+1
that review is useless and the person who wrote it doesn't seem very experienced.

"you also have to buy a seperate amplifier". for one thing, he can't spell "separate" wink.gif

and that statement alone tells you he doesn't know what he's doing. the things he complains, an ext amp wouldn't improve since they have absolutely nothing to do with amplification.

the remote is no more complex than any other brand.

this is why I don't pay attention to amateur-hour gear reviews on Amazon, BB, some other amateur review sites.

taking bets...the BB review was written by someone who didn't bother to read the manual wink.gif
David Susilo likes this.

Steve
post #204 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Toronto is a great town Dave it's been a while and for some reason I always seem to end up in Montreal...

I think for phono I'd rather have a separate preamp anyway.

Looks like the 79 is best i get right now without splitting things up and I love to play from my external drives and my drobo since i Have a lot of concerts etc in FLAC format.

Unless you REALLY need the USB DAC and/or HD-BASE-T and/or multi-channel input, I find the 79 to be severely overpriced. Especially when a separate HD-Base-T modules are only $200 a pair yet the Canadian $$ difference between the 77 and 79 is a full $1000 :yikes:
oztech likes this.

my home theatre

post #205 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

As for Phono, I love my Rek-O-Kut mkIII phono stage. $73 (plus shipping) and it sounds much better than the SC-77 built-in phono pre-amp.

my home theatre

post #206 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless you REALLY need the USB DAC and/or HD-BASE-T and/or multi-channel input, I find the 79 to be severely overpriced. Especially when a separate HD-Base-T modules are only $200 a pair yet the Canadian $$ difference between the 77 and 79 is a full $1000 :yikes:
Thats why for the most part we push the 77 and if the extras are not what the client wants the a 72 is installed.
David Susilo likes this.
post #207 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I personally push the 75 as the bare minimum due to the Sabre32 DAC and full-band phase control that are easily audibly distinguishable than the lower models. (or 77 if phono input is required and the customer don't want to run separate phono stage)

my home theatre

post #208 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I personally push the 75 as the bare minimum due to the Sabre32 DAC and full-band phase control that are easily audibly distinguishable than the lower models. (or 77 if phono input is required and the customer don't want to run separate phono stage)
I guess I should have stated the 72 on systems that are 5.1 and they only use cable/sat and mp3 we tend to use the 77 as you said better DAC's,ULTRA2, Air Studios for 90 %.of our installs.
David Susilo likes this.
post #209 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 10:13 PM

Yes however if you are someone who really wants the versatility of a hard connection computer playback then the USB DAC option is mandatory. Unless a direct hdmi plugin sounds just as good. And of course when considering sending audio across multiple zones...
David Susilo likes this.
post #210 of 407 Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

Who has a TV that supports auto sync?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 75 Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc77 Receiver , Pioneer Elite Sc 72

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page