Denon Replacement For Dud Is Even Worse - But There Are Extenuating Circumstances - Any Hope? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought a Denon 2113 from Accessories 4 Less earlier this year. It turned out to be defective and Denon sent a replacement refurbished model. I sold that one on Ebay as I found another model I liked better. (The package was unopened.). The gentleman I sold the replacement to finally got around to installing it and found out it was also a dud. This receiver had no sound output at all. The buyer tried tips from this site that I sent him, and then eventually called Denon. But even the test tones don't work. They speculated that it may have been dropped hard and the soundboard broken at some point.

Soooo, my questions are do I have any recourse? (I am accepting the receiver back from the buyer and refunding the money.) Can I still go back to Denon and tell them the second receiver was also a dud or did I lose that option by selling the replacement? I don't think I can even get some money back from using MasterCard as technically this is not the receiver I bought on it though it is the replacement for that receiver.

My fear is that I am out the $380 I charged the buyer and wind up without even a working receiver to show for it.

Any helpful suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would call Denon and ask them to reopen the original RMA ticket.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 02:51 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Regardless of the fact that the original refurb was replaced with another unit, you still have a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase of the original refurb. The fact that you sold the 2nd refurb is moot as you are receiving it back so it's like you never sold it. I would confirm that the unit is bad, resetting the microprocessor in the process, before calling Denon.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Regardless of the fact that the original refurb was replaced with another unit, you still have a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase of the original refurb. The fact that you sold the 2nd refurb is moot as you are receiving it back so it's like you never sold it. I would confirm that the unit is bad, resetting the microprocessor in the process, before calling Denon.

Just as JDS states: "The fact that you sold the 2nd refurb is moot as you are receiving it back so it's like you never sold it."

So, I don't see any real issue at all... just the general hassle of course and any shipping you might have to pay!

Test CAREFULLY to be sure you really need to send it back by trying the reset as suggested first and if need be send it back as many times as you need to because Denon has to make it right!

I will say this though. If you send it back again and somehow still have issues with this next replacement I would call foul on Denon (nicely of course) and try to sweet talk them into a NEW unit preferably maybe even an upgraded model to compensate you for your trouble! wink.gif

Good Luck! biggrin.gif

...Glenn smile.gif
post #5 of 7 Old 06-28-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Regarding the quality of the B-Stock refurb units..
Keep in mind the unit was originally returned for a reason.. rolleyes.gif
Unfortunately today the brands handle the returned units by sending these out to a 3rd party for testing and repacking.
Typically little time is spent for testing by the refurbishing 3rd party as he is paid on quantity of units processed per hour...
If the AVR lites up and passes audio and video, little more is tested..
Missing accessories are replaced and the unit is reboxed marked as B-Stock..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #6 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just a short update. I contacted the Denon rep who had helped me previously and he has yet to get back to me. Thanks for all the responses. I hadn't thought about the year warranty angle and that DOES make me feel better.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1987 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Did you confirm the 2nd receiver is indeed defective as well before calling Denon? Also keep in mind that your Master Card issuer may add an additional year on top of the 1 year warranty from Denon so check with them as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors