HDMI Dolby Digital Plus input to Dolby Digital 5.1 Toslink output Solution: Atlona AT-HD570 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This really is in regard to my move to Netflix Streaming. I have an old Rotel RSP976 pre/pro (no HDMI) and I just don't want to buy expensive nw equipment or replace my separate components with a cheaper receiver.

I went and bought a Roku 3 to stream Netflix with and bought two different HDMI audio de-embedders to extract the audio to an optical toslink.

I discovered what many of you probably have... got no sound from optical when selecting DD+ 5.1 as the audio on Netflix. Only got sound when stereo was selected on Netflix.
Neither of the 2 HDMI audio de-embedders I bought to try worked ($80 and $50).

My Rotel showed that Dolby Pro Logic was processing that bitstream.

Solution #1: Found the Atlona AT-HD570 HDMI Audio De-Embedder http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-HDMI-Audio-De-Embedder-with-3D-Support.html
I called Atlona (local company to me) and talked to an engineer. Asked him specifically (since it is not clear in any tech specs) if this unit extracts the Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 audio from HDMI and converts it to Dolby Digital 5.1 Optical output.
He said YES it does and they have tested it and are Dolby certified. I asked him again to make sure and he said definitely. If anyone on this forum can confirm this It would be great. Cost $280 + $100 for Roku 3

Solution #2: I have an Oppo BDP-83SE and was considering getting the Oppo BDP-103 for streaming to replace that. That is one solution. I assume the Oppo can decode the Dolby Digital + and output to analog outs. Cost = $500 subtracting what I make from selling the almost new BDP-83SE (upgraded to SE and fully serviced by Oppo in January 2013). Problem is I love the BDP-83SE and it performs beautifully because I use it to decode audio and output using analog outputs to the Rotel. Not sure the BDP-103 would really be an upgrade in that department (audio).

Solution #3: Buy a new (or used) pre/pro to replace the old Rotel and use it to decode the HDMI audio. This is the least desirable as it entails pulling apart my system and reconfiguring it not to mention the setup time.

So realistically it's solution #1 or #2 for me. I do not want to give up my Rotel and Anthem combo. The Rotel sounds wonderful and does a great job with digital audio from my HD DVR receiver. And as an audio processor my Oppo BDP-83SE decodes everything I need to analog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-01-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Update I settled on a new BDP-103 and am glad I did. PQ is amazing and allows me to keep my old Rotel RSP-976
Monus98 likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page